So what's your ideal pricing?

This forum is for discussing Reason. Questions, answers, ideas, and opinions... all apply.
Jackjackdaw

16 Sep 2021

Reason standard £350

Yearly upgrades that kept everything on point and up to industry standards, £99

RS synth Re.s £59
RS players £29

If they priced it like this I would spend way more money in the Reason shop.

Tweak

16 Sep 2021

I don't spend money on buggy software, so price is irrelevant, especially if they try to intimidate me into buying by price gouging.

Jackjackdaw

16 Sep 2021

Tweak wrote:
16 Sep 2021
I don't spend money on buggy software, so price is irrelevant, especially if they try to intimidate me into buying by price gouging.
Exactly, I feel like creating a strong product with reasonable pricing is much more likely to create a strong user base than churning out half baked releases and vague promises.

Heigen5

16 Sep 2021

Reason+ yearly = 149€, because if there's two years between the major updates they'd already get 298€.

Ermitage

16 Sep 2021

A number that reflects the quality of the product relative to the competition.

So around 50€ to upgrade.

Carpainter

16 Sep 2021

Tweak wrote:
16 Sep 2021
This x1000. I only paid $80 to upgrade to Reason 12, but I still feel ripped off because it's not as stable as older versions of Reason. At one time, Reason was the most CPU-efficient and stable DAW out there. You could run it on a toaster and it would never crash. Now I'm struggling with a bug that causes Reason to peg my hard drive until I shut it down and restart it.

Popey
Competition Winner

16 Sep 2021

Personally I would like their to be some sort of tiered pricing dependent on what version you are upgrading from. If however they stick to one price then it would be better to increase it in smaller increments than £70 in one go. So for 12 perhaps £149 upgrade.

It is their product though so they can charge what they like and us users just decide if we see value at their price or not.

makke

16 Sep 2021

199$, that is what I spend on 2011 to buy my FL Studio. Free updates 10 years now. You guys should try it out :)

earwig83

16 Sep 2021

RS is a terrible company holding a wonderful product hostage.

helmutson

16 Sep 2021

earwig83 wrote:
16 Sep 2021
Exactly ! I love Reason, but I do not like the way how they act these days with their customers or as a company ... they seem so disorganized . That new prize tag comes at the wrong time. If the release of R12 had been a complete success, then it wouldn't be a problem, but in my eyes it was a disaster. I have the feeling that somethings going very wrong under the surface ... :(

R303

16 Sep 2021

Different pricing models, because a unit price for software is rather nonsensical.

Now the business is running because they were also revolutionary ideas (RRP, Combinator 2.0), but that doesn't work twice.

DaveyG

16 Sep 2021

It does seem like they've launched the least stable and most buggy release then decided to whack up the price. Worse product, higher price. Um, OK. You reap what you sow.

So now my ideal pricing is free, especially for the HD stuff. I was going to wait until the BF sale and see how R12 was looking then but with the price hike that will be a no-go unless the discount is huge. I'm still grumpy about how they offered R10 owners the chance to upgrade to R11 with a free R12 at a discount to even the current upgrade price. So I think R11 may be my last Reason version, and I've been in it since R1 and Rebirth.

challism

16 Sep 2021

ideal price?
Pay what you want
Not realistic price, but ideal price
Players are to MIDI what synthesizers are to waveforms.

ReasonTalk Rules and Guidelines

Carpainter

16 Sep 2021

earwig83 wrote:
16 Sep 2021
This is how a lot of us feel, I think.

First they made something beautiful. Then they saddled it with the most horrific DRM scheme ever devised (god bless the crackers who killed Codemeter). Then they started hiding their best devices behind a paywall (RE). Then they shut down the official forum. Then they sold out to venture capitalists. Now they're trying to force a subscription model down our throats by increasing the cost of Reason.

It feels like they spend more time trying to get one over on us than they do improving their software.

scotward57

16 Sep 2021

Ideal pricing? Irrelevant question. It's the timing of a price increase right after giving us a roadmap of future plans and never mentioning it. It's doing this while the product is full of known bugs. Bad decisions by mgt who don't know what they're doing.

BananaSkins

16 Sep 2021

Sad to hear many faithful Propellerhead fans increasingly becoming disgruntled with RS on this forum…

Also not being a R12 beta tester myself, can I ask do beta testers receive a discount on the next release they are testing? (If not? - why not?)

Loyalty should work both ways…

• Information