Reason 12 insert Fx

This forum is for discussing Reason. Questions, answers, ideas, and opinions... all apply.
okaino

15 Sep 2021

I know ive seen post earlier explaining the remote for combinator is going to be fixed for the combinator 2....Ive started to try to mix on reason 12 which shouldnt be that different right?...WRONG......They took the insert fx patch strip off the main mixer. I found that strip on the main mixer to be useful as another identifier on the main mixer about the channels.

The way it is now only allows you to be clued in to the patch via the rack window... when this information was on the main mixer and the rack window.

Does anyone else find an issue with this? The insert fx bypass on the channel is cool i like that but i also want to see what patch is loaded on each channel.

gullum

15 Sep 2021

110% missing the controls not so much the buttons on screen but not having control over them from my hardware but the remote controls are coming back so the first 4 knob and buttons of the first combinator in the insert container will work as inserts on remote map but they are not coming back as part of the mixer channel strip

okaino

15 Sep 2021

gullum wrote:
15 Sep 2021
110% missing the controls not so much the buttons on screen but not having control over them from my hardware but the remote controls are coming back so the first 4 knob and buttons of the first combinator in the insert container will work as inserts on remote map but they are not coming back as part of the mixer channel strip
Yea i get it... Damn we cant get a vote! The insert fx show/hide was too much?

QVprod

15 Sep 2021

There's threads of arguments about this lol. But The mix channels are no longer combinators. Instead they're now just containers that can now house multiple combinators. The upside is that you can take say a compression combinator patch and a desser combinator patch hand have both loaded in the insert section whereas before you had to do manual routing outside of the mix channel to accomplish this.

Screen Shot 2021-09-15 at 10.05.11 PM.png
Screen Shot 2021-09-15 at 10.05.11 PM.png (575.34 KiB) Viewed 612 times

I personally welcome the change but It's unfortunate for those who relied on the old way for one reason or another.

miscend

16 Sep 2021

I never used this feature before but I could imagine it being useful for playing live. They could probably have kept the combinator like functionality of the mix channels whilst still adding in the ability to host combinator patches inside them. Furthermore I'd like the ability to host combinators inside of combinators.

joeyluck

16 Sep 2021

miscend wrote:
16 Sep 2021
I never used this feature before but I could imagine it being useful for playing live. They could probably have kept the combinator like functionality of the mix channels whilst still adding in the ability to host combinator patches inside them. Furthermore I'd like the ability to host combinators inside of combinators.
Your request in your last sentence would need to be in place in order to achieve your request in the preceding sentence. As in, Combinators would need to be able to be hosted in Combinators in order to put a Combinator in the container of a Combinator enabled insert section. I think the problem is Combinator inception. What they did, was an answer to many requests. You just don't have mouse controls from the mixer view, but many more macros and less restrictions inside the inserts.

miscend

16 Sep 2021

joeyluck wrote:
16 Sep 2021
miscend wrote:
16 Sep 2021
Your request in your last sentence would need to be in place in order to achieve your request in the preceding sentence. As in, Combinators would need to be able to be hosted in Combinators in order to put a Combinator in the container of a Combinator enabled insert section. I think the problem is Combinator inception. What they did, was an answer to many requests. You just don't have mouse controls from the mixer view, but many more macros and less restrictions inside the inserts.
I'm sure they did come up with this in response to genuine user requests, but I'm not too sure they thought their solution all the way through. One of the things about Reason is they never remove functionality especially if it affects backwards compatibility with older project files. The only exception is stuff outside of their control or contracted out to other parties like the Line 6 amps. Also at least as far as I'm aware they never communicated anywhere in advance that they were removing controls for the mixer channels from the mixer view.

joeyluck

16 Sep 2021

miscend wrote:
16 Sep 2021
joeyluck wrote:
16 Sep 2021

I'm sure they did come up with this in response to genuine user requests, but I'm not too sure they thought their solution all the way through. One of the things about Reason is they never remove functionality especially if it affects backwards compatibility with older project files. The only exception is stuff outside of their control or contracted out to other parties like the Line 6 amps. Also at least as far as I'm aware they never communicated anywhere in advance that they were removing controls for the mixer channels from the mixer view.
Well it doesn't break compatibility because all automation carries over. And after the Remote fix, remote maps will work as before. So then all that is left is mouse control of parameters from the mixer, and I don't necessarily see that as taking something away. You hit 'edit inserts' and all your knobs (first 4x4 macros and many more) are there to be adjusted.

IMO it's like if they were to move the tool window items to the toolbar of the sequencer (fingers crossed they do). The tool window would go away, but all the tools remain. So in terms of the insert macros, all the functionality is there (or will be there after the Remote fix), it's just a different workflow. Remote is all that is broken now, so what's broken will be fixed.

• Information