Mimic New Root Note Detection

This forum is for discussing Reason. Questions, answers, ideas, and opinions... all apply.
Creativemind

01 Sep 2021

Hi All!

So I was checking out the new Mimic Root Note Detection today.

I imported an acapella into it. The root it detected was a G#2. I tried that note on my midi controller and it didn't sound right. I played it along with my guitar and the acappella was A#m, G#, A#m.

Does anyone have any idea what was going on here as the key to me sounded more like A# than G#?

Thanks.
:reason:

Reason Studio's 11.3 / Cockos Reaper 6.82 / Cakewalk By Bandlab / Orion 8.6
http://soundcloud.com/creativemind75/iv ... soul-mix-3

QVprod

01 Sep 2021

Acapellas tend to be tricky with root detection since it’s multiple notes, can’t speak for other samplers, but Reason isn’t analyzing the entire sample. Grain operates the same way. Single note samples tend to be accurate though.

AnotherMathias

01 Sep 2021

It’s Important to realize the distinction between 1. The pitch of a note, 2. The root note of a chord, and 3. The musical key (like C# minor) of a song, or more typically here, of a passage or chord progression.

If it’s anything like the previous root note detection algorithm, this will really only do the pitch of single notes properly.
Chords are much trickier, especially since you can have things like Fmaj7dim9 with a C at the bottom.
And a music snippet, well, that’s a whole bunch of notes, which note do you want to detect? Some editors let’s you select a part of your sample that will get analyzed for pitch, that’s a nice feature.
As for the musical key of a snippet, that’s anyone’s guess, it all depends on the context of the whole song.

huggermugger

01 Sep 2021

This is why ear training.

Creativemind

01 Sep 2021

QVprod wrote:
01 Sep 2021
Acapellas tend to be tricky with root detection since it’s multiple notes, can’t speak for other samplers, but Reason isn’t analyzing the entire sample. Grain operates the same way. Single note samples tend to be accurate though.
So it really only works on monophonic material? does Serato Sample detect the key of a sample I wonder.

Heigen5

01 Sep 2021

Creativemind wrote:
01 Sep 2021
QVprod wrote:
01 Sep 2021
So it really only works on monophonic material? does Serato Sample detect the key of a sample I wonder.
The detector of the notes isn't that simple if the source-samples are like a "mess". If it's a complex mess, you better do it by ear.

miscend

01 Sep 2021

Creativemind wrote:
01 Sep 2021
QVprod wrote:
01 Sep 2021
It does. But it's not 100% accurate at times you need to set the key by ear.

Creativemind

01 Sep 2021

miscend wrote:
01 Sep 2021
Creativemind wrote:
01 Sep 2021

It does. But it's not 100% accurate at times you need to set the key by ear.
What I meant to say was, polyphonic material but yeah I hear y'all.

• Information