Reason 12 TOMORROW!!!!!!!! Excitement level readings??????

This forum is for discussing Reason. Questions, answers, ideas, and opinions... all apply.

Reason 12’s out in 5 days

I’m excited
54%
I’m not excited
29%
I don’t care
17%

Total votes: 228
AnotherMathias

27 Aug 2021

tc13 wrote:
27 Aug 2021
If DAW was marketed only to the "pros", studios and proper "musicians" the market would not be big enough for all the software, effects and instruments that are out there....
Yes, wouldn't it be horrible if music production software was made for musicians...

tc13

27 Aug 2021

AnotherMathias wrote:
27 Aug 2021
tc13 wrote:
27 Aug 2021
If DAW was marketed only to the "pros", studios and proper "musicians" the market would not be big enough for all the software, effects and instruments that are out there....
Yes, wouldn't it be horrible if music production software was made for musicians...
Well then probably 90 per cent of the companies would be out of business and you would have a lot less choice of what to use. Quite simple really...

Probably there is a lot of guitars, pianos and drumsets all around never used by "musicians" but people that just want to have some fun...

joeyluck

27 Aug 2021

I'm very excited! :D :thumbup:

Just a heads up about a couple things I'm thinking I'll do after it is released...
  1. I'll create a subforum in the Patches, ReFills, and Sound Packs forum for the new Combinator (at least temporarily).
    • This would specifically be for everyone to share their Combinator creations! I can always merge it back into the main Patches forum later, but I figure it will be a hot topic and it would be great to have a subforum dedicated to visit.
    • General discussion about R12 and any of its new features, including the Combinator would continue in Reason General.
  2. We should put together a community ReFill for Mimic!
    • Of course this would also be utilizing the new Combinator! I think that would be very fun! Think of the uniqueness we can come up with collectively when making Mimic patches from samples we create, housed in Combinators that we design.
    • We can discuss a community ReFill focused on anything using the new Combinator, but I personally generally enjoy having something with some sort of focus
So yeah, let me know what you think! :-)

tc13

27 Aug 2021

joeyluck wrote:
27 Aug 2021
I'm very excited! :D :thumbup:

Just a heads up about a couple things I'm thinking I'll do after it is released...
  1. I'll create a subforum in the Patches, ReFills, and Sound Packs forum for the new Combinator (at least temporarily).
    • This would specifically be for everyone to share their Combinator creations! I can always merge it back into the main Patches forum later, but I figure it will be a hot topic and it would be great to have a subforum dedicated to visit.
    • General discussion about R12 and any of its new features, including the Combinator would continue in Reason General.
  2. We should put together a community ReFill for Mimic!
    • Of course this would also be utilizing the new Combinator! I think that would be very fun! Think of the uniqueness we can come up with collectively when making Mimic patches from samples we create, housed in Combinators that we design.
    • We can discuss a community ReFill focused on anything using the new Combinator, but I personally generally enjoy having something with some sort of focus
So yeah, let me know what you think! :-)
This times 1000! It's a bit like back to Rebirth mods :D

AnotherMathias

27 Aug 2021

tc13 wrote:
27 Aug 2021
AnotherMathias wrote:
27 Aug 2021

Well then probably 90 per cent of the companies would be out of business and you would have a lot less choice of what to use. Quite simple really...

Probably there is a lot of guitars, pianos and drumsets all around never used by "musicians" but people that just want to have some fun...
You know, I think I'd be fine with that.
Then we'd have a couple of surviving proper DAWs that didn't spend most of their time trying to appeal to people who can't be bothered to learn to play an instrument.

As it is now, most software companies are playing to the lowest common denominator, at the expense of the old-school musicians and recording engineers, because there's more money in that!

You can't compare it to guitars and pianos.
If that was the case, Fender and Gibson would stop making so many of those 6-string guitars that only pro musicians want, and just make the "fun for newbs" one string guitars that seems to make them so much more money.

tc13

27 Aug 2021

AnotherMathias wrote:
27 Aug 2021
tc13 wrote:
27 Aug 2021

You know, I think I'd be fine with that.
Then we'd have a couple of surviving proper DAWs that didn't spend most of their time trying to appeal to people who can't be bothered to learn to play an instrument.

As it is now, most software companies are playing to the lowest common denominator, at the expense of the old-school musicians and recording engineers, because there's more money in that!

You can't compare it to guitars and pianos.
If that was the case, Fender and Gibson would stop making so many of those 6-string guitars that only pro musicians want, and just make the "fun for newbs" one string guitars that seems to make them so much more money.
Well you're just an elitist then.... And without all the others paying for stuff you wouldnt have anything to fine with. Really silly and stupid way of reasoning I would say.

And yeah Gibson are doing really well lately....

tronam

27 Aug 2021

I'll be upgrading, per usual, but as someone who does prefer to work exclusively inside Reason vs the rack in another DAW I do wonder if the mixer and sequencer will ever see much attention again beyond minor maintenance. I understand why RS is focusing most of their energy on the rack, from a business perspective, but it's still a little disheartening.
Music is nothing else but wild sounds civilized into time and tune.

Faastwalker

27 Aug 2021

Very. Super excited to get my hands on Combinator 2.

AnotherMathias

27 Aug 2021

tc13 wrote:
27 Aug 2021
Well you're just an elitist then.... And without all the others paying for stuff you wouldnt have anything to fine with. Really silly and stupid way of reasoning I would say.

Maybe a bit elitist, but not really - I have full respect for beginners and those without "natural talent". The difference is, you got to at least TRY to get good at something musical if you are going to make music.
But not ALL tools have to be accessible to newbies, do they? And if it's just a matter of the software company making money, even to just survive, then do we have to like it?

Gibson has been digging their own grave for decades now...

zoidkirb

27 Aug 2021

Got my discounted 10-12 upgrade paid. Got the $3 R+ sub. Am beta testing R12 currently.
I've got a pretty good idea how things will pan out but I'm still excited to see the final polished version, plus whatever extras may come.

Personally I think R+ is a load of rubbish but that's really not affecting how I use Reason so I just don't care.

Stamatz

27 Aug 2021

tc13 wrote: ↑56 minutes ago

Maybe a bit elitist, but not really - I have full respect for beginners and those without "natural talent". The difference is, you got to at least TRY to get good at something musical if you are going to make music.
But not ALL tools have to be accessible to newbies, do they? And if it's just a matter of the software company making money, even to just survive, then do we have to like it?

Gibson has been digging their own grave for decades now...
I appreciate both sides of this arguement, but I must say music is very specific to the individual person. Learning an instrument is a life long journey....so to say "natural talent", really dude? Talent is learned, you're not born with it...lol. You're not a racehorse who was breed to run on a specific surface or distance...lol

To to that extent I agree with what you say about you got to at least TRY but will interject IF you really want to get to a higher level of understanding of the intrument you're forever learning. It all depends on the individual and where they want to go with it. I for one am no where near a musician but I like to have FUN with my keyboard which encourages me to learn and play more, gotta have FUN though. When it becomes a choir, it's more difficult to be engaged and more of a burdeon.

All DAWS have their strong points and NONE of them do it all. Does Reason have a launchgrid like Ableton? No.. Does Studio One have a Rack with CV cabling? No..Can Abelton Score Music? No... It all depends on what you're looking to do or have FUN with and what are the most important features you're looking for. Reason to me is a million dollar studio. I'm dating myself but I love the look and feel of REAL instruments and the rack and CV cabling with volts. That is what is most important to me, to emulate the real thing. I don't make music professionally nor do I care to but I bet I could make a track, listen to it with a friend and I guarantee you they wouldn't believe me if I told them I made that. He may like the track you may hate it and think it sucks. Who's right or who's wrong? No one...it's up to the individual. You see what I am getting at?

That is the power of technology today as opposed to the 80's where my reason rack would have cost me a winning lottery ticket. Probably why I also love Voltage Modular and Euro rack stuff.

Be happy, have fun and make music.
Nektar P4, Alesis VX49, Roland DJ-202, Korg DS-8, Casio RZ-1, Epiphone Guitar, MOTU M4, Samson BT Monitors. Twin Displays. AMD Ryzen 9 7950x3D, 32 GB Ram, AMD Radeon 6800XT,

AnotherMathias

27 Aug 2021

I agree that “natural talent” is a bit of a silly concept, which is why I put it in quotes. That said, I think we all agree that for any given endeavor, some people just seem to be good at it without even trying, while others will forever by crap at it. Like me, and just about any sport (crappy, that is).

I don’t think anyone is having an issue with some people enjoying some “instant gratification easy fun”.
But when not only your favorite music software, but nearly the entire industry, is changing its priorities to accommodate that group of people (after all, that’s where the money is), it just leaves the rest of us feeling stranded.

Stamatz

27 Aug 2021

Here, Here, I can totally agree to that and understand where you're coming from.

This conversation inspired me to get back on the keyboard..lol. Spent the last hours playing a jazz pentatonic scale w/o scales and chords just a piano and my two hands.

I sucked but I can feel I was getting better after an hour and that was fun after 12 hours of very stressful work...lol..thank you for that,

Hey maybe your not trying hard enough to be a good athletic...lol. just kidding, physical make up is just one part of being a great athele. I've seen the small, shouldn't even be in the league type of athlete but with the biggest heart making the biggest plays.

Be happy, have fun and make music :puf_smile:
Nektar P4, Alesis VX49, Roland DJ-202, Korg DS-8, Casio RZ-1, Epiphone Guitar, MOTU M4, Samson BT Monitors. Twin Displays. AMD Ryzen 9 7950x3D, 32 GB Ram, AMD Radeon 6800XT,

gullum

28 Aug 2021

Now I'm getting excited to hear if AnotherMathias might be the next attacker in ManU or Stamatz will be the next Louis Armstrong

Mr. Rodent

28 Aug 2021

joeyluck wrote:
27 Aug 2021

We should put together a community ReFill for Mimic!
Yesss!
I'm new and never combined anything though, so I'm just going to make shit and wrap it in a pretty package for you guys :refill: :P

mr_squiggle

28 Aug 2021

Apologies if this has been pointed out elsewhere, but does anyone know whether or not Friktion and/or Algoritm will be included in R12? Or is it only available for purchase through the shop as a plugin or through R+?

Tiny Montgomery

28 Aug 2021

mr_squiggle wrote:
28 Aug 2021
Apologies if this has been pointed out elsewhere, but does anyone know whether or not Friktion and/or Algoritm will be included in R12? Or is it only available for purchase through the shop as a plugin or through R+?
Shop only. Sale price is usually 64 if you wait. They're newish and have never been part of any bundled deal.

Tiny Montgomery

28 Aug 2021

That being said I'd love it if they bundled them with R12 too but they haven't indicated they will

DaveyG

28 Aug 2021

I think the days of getting existing RS REs bundled with a new version have gone. Doing so would devalue the subscription offering.

Jagwah

28 Aug 2021

I know nothing about the new combinator and the release is almost upon us.

I'm more than happy to stick with Reason 10, so no upgrade here as far as I can see.

Neo

28 Aug 2021

I'm yeah, sorta but maybe excited. V̶S̶T̶3̶/̶M̶I̶D̶I̶ ̶V̶S̶T̶s̶
I wonder how many people are looking at alternative DAWs. Ill highly upgrade to 12 either way. #perpetual
My other concern are my eyes.. time for a 34" Ultra-wide or 32" 4K.
Beta looks promising.
mr_squiggle wrote:
28 Aug 2021
@99$ USD each. I highly doubt either will be included in R12 now that the "Suite" option is gone.
Last edited by joeyluck on 28 Aug 2021, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: beta specifics... even stuff we know is coming can't be discussed.
:reason: :re: :ignition: Atari 1040ST | R11 Suite 🡭 R12 | i7 | RME

MuttReason

28 Aug 2021

Always loved Reason. Big thing for me was stability and quality control in terms of coding. Other software was released too early full of bugs and would crash regularly. Not Reason. Pretty much knew that version X.0 on launch day would be bombproof.

Two reasons why that was the case IME. First, it was in the company’s DNA to under-promise and then over-deliver. Their secrecy about the product pipeline was frustrating sometimes but it meant that what was launched, worked, from day one. Second, the philosophy was always “it is ready when it is ready”. If it took a few more weeks to squash the bugs before launch then so be it. Again, this was in contrast to other companies who announced a launch date months in advance then released a bug-strewn mess in order to stick to the timetable (anyone remember how many point releases it took for Ableton Live 10 to become stable? IIRC it was only properly reliable from about 10.12 onwards).

The whole R+ early access to R12 push seems to indicate a departure from that philosophy. I like the look of the new features and additions but am much less impressed with everything I’ve read about stability and glitches.

Short version: I might go for 12.1 (or later… depends how many fixes needed) but will hold off on 12.0 for now.

And, yeah, showing little love for the DAW doesn’t help.

avasopht
Competition Winner

28 Aug 2021

DaveyG wrote:
28 Aug 2021
I think the days of getting existing RS REs bundled with a new version have gone. Doing so would devalue the subscription offering.
Errm, ... it's been like that since the beginning.

We get a few key REs in Reason like Pulveriser and Mimic, but most are paid.

Reason Strings, Pianos and Drums were not free on Reason either.

No difference whatsoever.

helmutson

28 Aug 2021

MuttReason wrote:
28 Aug 2021
Always loved Reason. Big thing for me was stability and quality control in terms of coding. Other software was released too early full of bugs and would crash regularly. Not Reason. Pretty much knew that version X.0 on launch day would be bombproof.

Two reasons why that was the case IME. First, it was in the company’s DNA to under-promise and then over-deliver. Their secrecy about the product pipeline was frustrating sometimes but it meant that what was launched, worked, from day one. Second, the philosophy was always “it is ready when it is ready”. If it took a few more weeks to squash the bugs before launch then so be it. Again, this was in contrast to other companies who announced a launch date months in advance then released a bug-strewn mess in order to stick to the timetable (anyone remember how many point releases it took for Ableton Live 10 to become stable? IIRC it was only properly reliable from about 10.12 onwards).

The whole R+ early access to R12 push seems to indicate a departure from that philosophy. I like the look of the new features and additions but am much less impressed with everything I’ve read about stability and glitches.

Short version: I might go for 12.1 (or later… depends how many fixes needed) but will hold off on 12.0 for now.

And, yeah, showing little love for the DAW doesn’t help.
exactly :thumbs_up:

Onkel Paul

28 Aug 2021

scotward57 wrote:
27 Aug 2021
It's right there with the worst of the portable arranger Band In A Box crowd.
PG Music Band in a Box is a learning tool for people playing a real instrument. It creates a Band playing something you can play along to practice.

• Information