Mimic: New Creative Sampler

This forum is for discussing Reason. Questions, answers, ideas, and opinions... all apply.
Sterioevo

12 Aug 2021

StephenHutchinson wrote:
12 Aug 2021
Soooooo...
I would guess the sensitivity knob is dialled back a few %.

Loque

12 Aug 2021

StephenHutchinson wrote:
12 Aug 2021
Soooooo...
Does the Stretch Mode has an impact?
Reason12, Win10

buddard
RE Developer

12 Aug 2021

jam-s wrote:
11 Aug 2021
buddard wrote:
11 Aug 2021

There’s no such limit that I’m aware of, at least it’s not mentioned in the SDK docs.
Strange, I think I read it somewhere around here. But if I get the "User samples" section of the SDK docs correctly each sample (slot) must be predefined in the motherboard. And then having a complex sampler where a user could possibly load hundreds of samples (= a deeply sampled instrument with many round robins and articulations) would pose quite a challenge as you'd have to come up with a clever way of managing those using a (limited?) number of predefined user sample slots from the motherboard. Also the GUI would have to be a huge custom display most likely to allow for visuals similar to NN-XT.
You just have to create enough slots for the maximum number of samples you want to support, and then use them dynamically in your code.
I think an RE can have up to 1024 properties, so that would probably be the upper limit for the number of samples + device parameters.

The UI needs to be done differently of course, more like NN19/NNXT than Mimic, but that's just a product design issue.
The point is that you can have a lot more than 8 user samples! :-)

Auryn

12 Aug 2021

It looks nice, good to see Dr. Rex finally getting promoted. I feel like it should now be called "Professor Mimic", not just "Mimic" though!
~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-
Quixotic Sound Design: http://www.quixoticsounddesign.com
Europandemonium Refill: https://gumroad.com/l/YxIGB

jam-s

12 Aug 2021

buddard wrote:
12 Aug 2021
jam-s wrote:
11 Aug 2021

Strange, I think I read it somewhere around here. But if I get the "User samples" section of the SDK docs correctly each sample (slot) must be predefined in the motherboard. And then having a complex sampler where a user could possibly load hundreds of samples (= a deeply sampled instrument with many round robins and articulations) would pose quite a challenge as you'd have to come up with a clever way of managing those using a (limited?) number of predefined user sample slots from the motherboard. Also the GUI would have to be a huge custom display most likely to allow for visuals similar to NN-XT.
You just have to create enough slots for the maximum number of samples you want to support, and then use them dynamically in your code.
I think an RE can have up to 1024 properties, so that would probably be the upper limit for the number of samples + device parameters.

The UI needs to be done differently of course, more like NN19/NNXT than Mimic, but that's just a product design issue.
1024 properties is pretty little if you want to have some properties in relation to the samples as well (like round robin slot, mute group, loop points, etc.), and the number of possible samples then easily gets cut down pretty quickly if you want to implement a full fledged advanced sampler. So while that number 8 might be misreading something, I still think the SDK limitations block any developer from implementing something like Kontakt (or even NN-XT) as a RE.

StephenHutchinson

12 Aug 2021

Loque wrote:
12 Aug 2021
StephenHutchinson wrote:
12 Aug 2021
Soooooo...
Does the Stretch Mode has an impact?
Loque, thanks for the question. I tried changing the stretch modes, and it had no impact at all.
:reason: Reason User Since Version 1.0
Sound Design & Music Content Creation
Sound Dimension :: https://www.sounddimension.io

Creativemind

12 Aug 2021

Ottostrom wrote:
12 Aug 2021
Edin_16 wrote:
12 Aug 2021

They are!
No. They respond to the knob for a visual representation of the squishing but are not themselves knobs or buttons.
I did notice that after playing with it myself in the RRP earlier. Makes sense now what they are / do.

I also noticed as with all sample recordable devices that the record wave icon is present but you can't record into it. Will this be something that gets implemented into Reason 12 at some point (also for ReDrum, NN-19, NN-XT, Kong and Grain) or is it.simply not doable, do other vst's allow you to record into them?
Last edited by Creativemind on 12 Aug 2021, edited 1 time in total.
:reason:

Reason Studio's 11.3 / Cockos Reaper 6.82 / Cakewalk By Bandlab / Orion 8.6
http://soundcloud.com/creativemind75/iv ... soul-mix-3

fullforce

12 Aug 2021

DaveyG wrote:
12 Aug 2021
RoryM0 wrote:
12 Aug 2021
Does Mimic have any per slice options?
Not really, but you can put the same sample in each of the 8 slots, manually set the start/end points in each to make different "slices" then treat all of those separately. It would be nice to have a feature where you could transfer the first 8 slices from the slice mode into the 8 slot mode, or load up a rex file to the same.
Yeah, you could also use 8 NN-19's.
This is a block of text that can be added to posts you make. There is a 255 character limit.

buddard
RE Developer

12 Aug 2021

jam-s wrote:
12 Aug 2021
buddard wrote:
12 Aug 2021

1024 properties is pretty little if you want to have some properties in relation to the samples as well (like round robin slot, mute group, loop points, etc.), and the number of possible samples then easily gets cut down pretty quickly if you want to implement a full fledged advanced sampler. So while that number 8 might be misreading something, I still think the SDK limitations block any developer from implementing something like Kontakt (or even NN-XT) as a RE.
There are tricks to reduce the number of properties, for example by packing the per-sample properties into string properties. It wouldn’t be practical to offer Remote/automation for those anyway. :-)

Creativemind

12 Aug 2021

So what's the point of the transient markers if you can't adjust them, only for snapping or playing purposes? and how do you get it to snap to transient? tried the red LED Snap To Slices btw. Doesn't work with that on or off and Ryan didn't have that on in his video when he seemed to be snapping to the slice markers. I've tried moving the flag with all kinds of combinations of alt / shift / ctrl too.

artotaku

12 Aug 2021

buddard wrote:
11 Aug 2021
jam-s wrote:
11 Aug 2021

SDK limitations. Iirc you can only load up to 8 user samples.
There’s no such limit that I’m aware of, at least it’s not mentioned in the SDK docs.
There is no limitation but I did some experiments and it seems the more user samples you have in motherboard def the slower the boot time of the RE in Recon gets up to a point unmanagable. Could also be a bug or caused by extensive logging.

miscend

12 Aug 2021

jaeproduced wrote:
11 Aug 2021
miscend wrote:
11 Aug 2021

I said "Apart from key detection and good quality time stretch". An MPC 1000/2500 running with JJOS can do all those other things including importing entire songs, 32 slices, automatic slice detection etc etc. And of course modern MPCs like the MPC Live can do even more than that.
My man come on again you said decades ago those mpc's are all new age I'm a former fellow mpc 2000 & 2000xl user so I know the limitations mpc's had especially with the blue zip drives freezing up. I'm an old school producer so clearly your not familiar with the early mpc's roger linn additions which is what i'm talking about...I would like to see a mpc vst sampler that has all the features of the new hardware additions to replace serato sample...
The MPC 1000 is from 2003 that's nearing on 20 years now. I wasn't talking about the 60 or 3000 but the 1000 and 2500 mainly.

miscend

12 Aug 2021

ryanharlin
Reason Studios

12 Aug 2021

Creativemind wrote:
12 Aug 2021
So what's the point of the transient markers if you can't adjust them, only for snapping or playing purposes? and how do you get it to snap to transient? tried the red LED Snap To Slices btw. Doesn't work with that on or off and Ryan didn't have that on in his video when he seemed to be snapping to the slice markers. I've tried moving the flag with all kinds of combinations of alt / shift / ctrl too.
I was confused by this too until Mattias showed me. When you're clicking and dragging a slice marker if you move your mouse up to the header section where the triangles are and drag there it will snap to the markers. Mattias said that snap to transients button is for something else I forgot about already but we'll talk about it on a livestream he and I will do about Mimic next week.

Creativemind

12 Aug 2021

ryanharlin wrote:
12 Aug 2021
Creativemind wrote:
12 Aug 2021
I was confused by this too until Mattias showed me. When you're clicking and dragging a slice marker if you move your mouse up to the header section where the triangles are and drag there it will snap to the markers. Mattias said that snap to transients button is for something else I forgot about already but we'll talk about it on a livestream he and I will do about Mimic next week.
Thanks Ryan!

Heigen5

12 Aug 2021

As there has been few users pointing out that one can't reverse only certain slices of choice, there's few ideas what to do:

1) Duplicate the Mimic and reverse only one of them.

and

2) You can use the Multi Slot for reversing while one slot reverses and another doesn't. Even though you can't slice in the same manner in that mode.

deeplink
Competition Winner

12 Aug 2021

Creativemind wrote:
12 Aug 2021
ryanharlin wrote:
12 Aug 2021

Thanks Ryan!
Snap to transients work when you modulate the start position. The start position will snap to the markers.
Get more Combinators, Patches and Resources at the deeplink website

PhillipOrdonez

12 Aug 2021

deeplink wrote:
12 Aug 2021
Creativemind wrote:
12 Aug 2021

Thanks Ryan!
Snap to transients work when you modulate the start position. The start position will snap to the markers.
And I'm glad it does!

CR68

12 Aug 2021

this is the first time i really want a modulation matrix

Ottostrom

12 Aug 2021

Creativemind wrote:
12 Aug 2021
I also noticed as with all sample recordable devices that the record wave icon is present but you can't record into it. Will this be something that gets implemented into Reason 12 at some point (also for ReDrum, NN-19, NN-XT, Kong and Grain) or is it.simply not doable, do other vst's allow you to record into them?
Do you mean this one?

Cause you can definitely use that button to record a new sample right into the device.

Edit:
Remember that if you want to sample ANY output in Reason you can manually hook it up to the Sampling Input of the Audio I/O.

Creativemind

12 Aug 2021

Ottostrom wrote:
12 Aug 2021
Creativemind wrote:
12 Aug 2021
Do you mean this one?

Cause you can definitely use that button to record a new sample right into the device.

Edit:
Remember that if you want to sample ANY output in Reason you can manually hook it up to the Sampling Input of the Audio I/O.
Yes I did mean that one.

Sorry I failed to mention in the Reason Rack Plug-In.

Ottostrom

12 Aug 2021

Creativemind wrote:
12 Aug 2021
Yes I did mean that one.

Sorry I failed to mention in the Reason Rack Plug-In.
Oh right, there is no Audio I/O in the RRP.
Strange to have that feature still present there without it working :?

Creativemind

12 Aug 2021

deeplink wrote:
12 Aug 2021
Creativemind wrote:
12 Aug 2021

Thanks Ryan!
Still can't get this to work. What do you mean and what do they snap to?

EDIT - Got it working now by reading what Ryan said and watching the beginning of his video where he does it at 30 seconds in. No logic to that, I can see why they did it but it would've made a lot more sense moving that blue flag to snap to markers by moving it with ctrl or alt pressed first.

fullforce

12 Aug 2021

Ottostrom wrote:
12 Aug 2021
Edin_16 wrote:
12 Aug 2021

They are!
No. They respond to the knob for a visual representation of the squishing but are not themselves knobs or buttons.
haha, you said knob
This is a block of text that can be added to posts you make. There is a 255 character limit.

Ottostrom

12 Aug 2021

fullforce wrote:
12 Aug 2021
Ottostrom wrote:
12 Aug 2021

haha, you said knob
He said it first :oops: :oops:

• Information