Exporting stems with no latency

This forum is for discussing Reason. Questions, answers, ideas, and opinions... all apply.
Zac

31 Jul 2021

I'm getting an Elektron Octatrack with the aim of doing some live sets. I have a large catalogue of Reason songs and I only use a small number of keys and tempos so I'd like to export my best stems from my old songs to help populate the OT.

I've been here a while and have a vague recollection that certain devices or techniques introduce a few ms silence on exporting files.

I'd like to avoid this and so I'm asking for the best method to export stems from Reason 11 and any devices or device chain positions to avoid. Thanks πŸ‘

selig
RE Developer

31 Jul 2021

If you end up using anything that adds latency, you can add one extra step to deal with it. Bounce the track back to Reason then edit it there as" audio only" (using no plugins at all, which won't add any latency). Then export tracks as before, knowing they will all line up perfectly.
Selig Audio, LLC

Zac

31 Jul 2021

selig wrote: ↑
31 Jul 2021
If you end up using anything that adds latency, you can add one extra step to deal with it. Bounce the track back to Reason then edit it there as" audio only" (using no plugins at all, which won't add any latency). Then export tracks as before, knowing they will all line up perfectly.
Thanks Selig. If that's the best methodology I'm guessing I could use any audio editor for the trimming of silence?

Is there an audio editor that can automatically trim any silence at the start of a sample? Anyone?

selig
RE Developer

31 Jul 2021

Zac wrote: ↑
31 Jul 2021
31 Jul 2021
Thanks Selig. If that's the best methodology I'm guessing I could use any audio editor for the trimming of silence?

Is there an audio editor that can automatically trim any silence at the start of a sample? Anyone?
Just use Reason. if you want to get all "science-y" about it, you could put a two pop ( 2 frames, 60 ms of a 1 kHz sine wave) at the top of every track, then bounce to audio internally. Then where necessary, line up the "pops" and then export. Make sense?

[oh yea, testing your process is easy by importing all your exported audio into a new song and see if it all lines up.]
Selig Audio, LLC

Zac

31 Jul 2021

31 Jul 2021
31 Jul 2021

Just use Reason. if you want to get all "science-y" about it, you could put a two pop ( 2 frames, 60 ms of a 1 kHz sine wave) at the top of every track, then bounce to audio internally. Then where necessary, line up the "pops" and then export. Make sense?

[oh yea, testing your process is easy by importing all your exported audio into a new song and see if it all lines up.]
OK, I'll keep it simple. Thanks.

fullforce

01 Aug 2021

31 Jul 2021
if you want to get all "science-y" about it
Says the certified wizard.
This is a block of text that can be added to posts you make. There is a 255 character limit.

PhillipOrdonez

01 Aug 2021

Remember that in Reason trimming the silence is super easy thanks to the split at slices feature.

I did not know that bouncing tracks to audio had issues with latency in Reason 😱

PhillipOrdonez

01 Aug 2021

By the way, dude, the octatrack? You getting fancier and fancier with your gear πŸ˜‚

Zac

01 Aug 2021

PhillipOrdonez wrote: ↑
01 Aug 2021
By the way, dude, the octatrack? You getting fancier and fancier with your gear πŸ˜‚
I've had to sell a fair bit to afford the OT but it seems like learning it makes sense for getting use from my old material as well as new stuff. Hoping to get some nice happy accidents captured.

PhillipOrdonez

01 Aug 2021

01 Aug 2021
PhillipOrdonez wrote: ↑
01 Aug 2021
I've had to sell a fair bit to afford the OT but it seems like learning it makes sense for getting use from my old material as well as new stuff. Hoping to get some nice happy accidents captured.
Wicked!

avasopht
Competition Winner

01 Aug 2021

You could try putting in false latency figures to trick delay compensation into cutting that amount from the beginning of the track.

Zac

02 Aug 2021

avasopht wrote: ↑
01 Aug 2021
You could try putting in false latency figures to trick delay compensation into cutting that amount from the beginning of the track.
Thanks, I'll try this if I find there's consistent delay.

• Information