Don't they want our money anymore?

This forum is for discussing Reason. Questions, answers, ideas, and opinions... all apply.
chimp_spanner

14 Jun 2021

It's not the big features that are missing for me. All of the fundamentals like comping, audio pitch editing, functional MIDI editing are in place and for the most part I like how they work.

What's driving me mildly crazy is that the simplest QOL improvements are the ones that never materialise. I totally understand that everyone has their own wish list ranging from video editing and MPE to deep audio editing, clips and scale folding...personally I've never wanted Reason to do any of that, any more than I've wanted Cubase or FL to have a rack and cables.

What I *do* want is to be able to play a chord/long note from any position on the timeline and hear it. Or put my sequencer tracks in folders. Or select all in the loop range without having to click and drag all the way down a massively tall arrange window (only to find I've missed a bit)****. What I want is custom key commands. Device filtering by category (granted that one might actually come soon). MIDI note echo on arrow key select/nudge. Slice detection threshold settings. Custom device init presets. I don't feel like these are particularly niche or extravagant. Certainly not outside the scope of what Reason is supposed to be. They just feel like they're things that most anyone would agree the program should do if they sat and used it for like, an hour. Introducing my girlfriend to Reason was an elucidating experience. Because she was instinctively asking how to do X Y or Z and I was like ehhhh you can't haha.

Anyway point is yeah, I can live without these things. I have done! For the past 7-8 years. I'm aware they don't stop me from making music. But god knows it'd be that extra 5-10% more pleasurable if I had them. Everything else (like video support, VST3, multi-timbral MIDI) would be a bonus if/when it ever comes but if I just had that meat and potato stuff I'd be happy in Reason for years to come. That's just me. Yeah I've said it all before, and I'll continue to say it. While making what I consider to be my best work in Reason and even having a good time in the process. Shocking I know!

Still love the software. Still have a lot of work tied up in it. And even if I finally cave and move over to Cubase or Live, I'll take RRP with me. But I would greatly prefer to see Reason actually live up to its immense potential as a DAW. It's not even that far off, in my opinion! Combi II is incredibly exciting though. And I'm very curious to see what this new sampler is saying. Hoping/praying for auto slice!!

****Just found you can hold option while dragging the razor tool on the ruler to do a range select. Wish I knew that ages ago lol

guitfnky

14 Jun 2021

chimp_spanner wrote:
14 Jun 2021
It's not the big features that are missing for me. All of the fundamentals like comping, audio pitch editing, functional MIDI editing are in place and for the most part I like how they work.

What's driving me mildly crazy is that the simplest QOL improvements are the ones that never materialise. I totally understand that everyone has their own wish list ranging from video editing and MPE to deep audio editing, clips and scale folding...personally I've never wanted Reason to do any of that, any more than I've wanted Cubase or FL to have a rack and cables.

What I *do* want is to be able to play a chord/long note from any position on the timeline and hear it. Or put my sequencer tracks in folders. Or select all in the loop range without having to click and drag all the way down a massively tall arrange window (only to find I've missed a bit)****. What I want is custom key commands. Device filtering by category (granted that one might actually come soon). MIDI note echo on arrow key select/nudge. Slice detection threshold settings. Custom device init presets. I don't feel like these are particularly niche or extravagant. Certainly not outside the scope of what Reason is supposed to be. They just feel like they're things that most anyone would agree the program should do if they sat and used it for like, an hour. Introducing my girlfriend to Reason was an elucidating experience. Because she was instinctively asking how to do X Y or Z and I was like ehhhh you can't haha.

Anyway point is yeah, I can live without these things. I have done! For the past 7-8 years. I'm aware they don't stop me from making music. But god knows it'd be that extra 5-10% more pleasurable if I had them. Everything else (like video support, VST3, multi-timbral MIDI) would be a bonus if/when it ever comes but if I just had that meat and potato stuff I'd be happy in Reason for years to come. That's just me. Yeah I've said it all before, and I'll continue to say it. While making what I consider to be my best work in Reason and even having a good time in the process. Shocking I know!

Still love the software. Still have a lot of work tied up in it. And even if I finally cave and move over to Cubase or Live, I'll take RRP with me. But I would greatly prefer to see Reason actually live up to its immense potential as a DAW. It's not even that far off, in my opinion! Combi II is incredibly exciting though. And I'm very curious to see what this new sampler is saying. Hoping/praying for auto slice!!

****Just found you can hold option while dragging the razor tool on the ruler to do a range select. Wish I knew that ages ago lol
this is precisely, 1,000,000,000,000% it.

especially the part about not being that far off. a bunch of quality of life features would make it an actual contender as a “professional” DAW.
I write music for good people

https://slowrobot.bandcamp.com/

Aquila

15 Jun 2021

Absolutely hit the nail on the head there Chimpers, well said!

plaamook

15 Jun 2021

chimp_spanner wrote:
14 Jun 2021
But I would greatly prefer to see Reason actually live up to its immense potential as a DAW. It's not even that far off, in my opinion!
Yep. And that's why we're all going slowly mad round here...
Perpetual Reason 12 Beta Tester :reason:

You can check out my music here.
https://m.soundcloud.com/ericholmofficial
Or here.
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC73uZZ ... 8jqUubzsQg

challism

15 Jun 2021

plaamook wrote:
15 Jun 2021
chimp_spanner wrote:
14 Jun 2021
But I would greatly prefer to see Reason actually live up to its immense potential as a DAW. It's not even that far off, in my opinion!
Yep. And that's why we're all going slowly mad round here...
Amen! I truly hope they don't just abandon the ship and focus solely on the rack. I agree that it's not **THAT** far from the mark.
Players are to MIDI what synthesizers are to waveforms.

ReasonTalk Rules and Guidelines

EnochLight

15 Jun 2021

chimp_spanner wrote:
14 Jun 2021

And with just one post, you’ve reminded me why I still prefer to work inside Reason compared to any other DAW, shortcomings aside. Thanks man!
Win 10 | Ableton Live 11 Suite |  Reason 12 | i7 3770k @ 3.5 Ghz | 16 GB RAM | RME Babyface Pro | Akai MPC Live 2 & Akai Force | Roland System 8, MX1, TB3 | Dreadbox Typhon | Korg Minilogue XD

plaamook

15 Jun 2021

This place is starting to sound like a support group

Or here.

deeplink
Competition Winner

15 Jun 2021

The self proclaimed Big List of Easy and Simple Quality of Life Improvements That Anyone Can Enjoy;

As above;
Option to Midi Chase
Track Folders
Keyboard Command controls to Player Devices (nudge, Ctrl+C; Ctrl+V)
Threshold of Slice detection to audio clips
Custom Init Presets

So is below;
Audio clip resizing snap to Slice Marker and/or to Zero Crossing
Snapping Relative or Absolute as a check box (not in the drop-down)
Bypass button in VST window
VU reading on Rack Meters
Option to have Peak reading on Mixer and Rack Meters
Option for VST window to stay open on default
Relative note display on Spectrum EQ
Audition audio clips in sequencer with speaker tool
Double-click Rack device to collapse/expand (instead of tiny arrow)
Maintain default patch directory, even when not loading default patch
F8 Tool Window integrated to into Sequencer
Ctrl-J to Join midi notes

Surely some or all of the above is within scope for Reason 12? - The Reason+ announcement blog did say that they were working on Workflow Enhancements
Get more Combinators at the deeplink website

PhillipOrdonez

15 Jun 2021

Minimizing individual players would be nice

bxbrkrz

15 Jun 2021

I want to control the default behavior of the auto track color.
757365206C6F67696320746F207365656B20616E73776572732075736520726561736F6E20746F2066696E6420776973646F6D20676574206F7574206F6620796F757220636F6D666F7274207A6F6E65206F7220796F757220696E737069726174696F6E2077696C6C206372797374616C6C697A6520666F7265766572

orthodox
RE Developer

15 Jun 2021

I want Delay Compensation to work throughout the Rack, not only on Mix Channels. It's critical.

plaamook

15 Jun 2021

bxbrkrz wrote:
15 Jun 2021
It seems trivial but I also want this.

Or here.

plaamook

15 Jun 2021

But mostly I just want zoom to work properly. Zoom out to see a whole long track or recording.
Zoom in to the cursor vertically, not just the play head horizontally. None of this top down malarkey

Or here.

PhillipOrdonez

15 Jun 2021

No malarkey!

I too want the zoom to zoom out all the way, at least one hour worth of zoom out.

chimp_spanner

15 Jun 2021

EnochLight wrote:
15 Jun 2021

And with just one post, you’ve reminded me why I still prefer to work inside Reason compared to any other DAW, shortcomings aside. Thanks man!
We gotta stay strong man haha. I don’t want my more critical comments to overshadow the fact that I think it’s an amazing piece of software. I started out on Cubase 1 on Atari, so almost any DAW these days is literally magic by comparison. I suppose I just want RS to be as excited and enthused by the potential of their DAW as I am. I’ve seen it said before that they don’t want to “compete” with bigger, more established DAWs. I don’t want them to either! Just focus on what Reason already does really well, and make it that tiny bit better then we’re all good.

To follow up on my post I should say that after showing my girlfriend Reason, she’s still continued to use it cos she loves it. Tried introducing her to Live and she hates it :lol: Plus it’s nice because we can exchange projects haha.

avasopht
Competition Winner

15 Jun 2021

chimp_spanner wrote:
15 Jun 2021
We gotta stay strong man haha. I don’t want my more critical comments to overshadow the fact that I think it’s an amazing piece of software. I started out on Cubase 1 on Atari, so almost any DAW these days is literally magic by comparison. I suppose I just want RS to be as excited and enthused by the potential of their DAW as I am. I’ve seen it said before that they don’t want to “compete” with bigger, more established DAWs. I don’t want them to either! Just focus on what Reason already does really well, and make it that tiny bit better then we’re all good.

To follow up on my post I should say that after showing my girlfriend Reason, she’s still continued to use it cos she loves it. Tried introducing her to Live and she hates it :lol: Plus it’s nice because we can exchange projects haha.
Agreed. I'm here because I'm still an avid Reason user.

And likewise, I'm well aware that Reason 10 gives me so much more power than the version of Reason I ditched Cubase et. al. for.

I'd have preferred Propellerhead to have been sold to an owner seeking to grow the team immediately, instead of exploring the market with the existing team.

The market is undergoing massive growth. They're unlikely to capture it with a tight belt.

bxbrkrz

15 Jun 2021

plaamook wrote:
15 Jun 2021
bxbrkrz wrote:
15 Jun 2021
It seems trivial but I also want this.
Tiny little things like that. 1000 x years.
757365206C6F67696320746F207365656B20616E73776572732075736520726561736F6E20746F2066696E6420776973646F6D20676574206F7574206F6620796F757220636F6D666F7274207A6F6E65206F7220796F757220696E737069726174696F6E2077696C6C206372797374616C6C697A6520666F7265766572

Burton

17 Jun 2021

chimp_spanner wrote:
15 Jun 2021
EnochLight wrote:
15 Jun 2021

It's good when a person is stable in their preferences. In fact, I myself am not a fan of any changes. It's easier for me when everything in my life is stable and measured. But on the other hand, sometimes you need to try something new, so that life is better, so that there is development.

EdwardKiy

19 Jun 2021

challism wrote:
12 Jun 2021
It's so easy for us to be armchair quarterbacks and point out all the things they could/should do differently. But it's quite different to be in the game calling the plays, trying to utilize the team to its fullest potential. Forgive the sports analogy, but here's one more. Being on RT does not prove you are a supporter. That's like saying the guy in the stands at the football team heckling the players and yelling "boo" the entire time is a fan.

And that marks my 2700th post on RT!
Hey, congrats on the little anniversary of yours!

I don't think that giving us customization options like hotkeys or track folders would make the DAW experience more bloated, just richer.

The guy who paid for the tickets to watch the game up close is a fan. Not necessarily of the teams, but of the sport - definitely. And if he came to watch some good sports and the teams just play like ass, then he is absolutely entitled to boo them - it's the same thing as cheering for them when they play well. He was the one who paid for the teams to play in the first place, so the least he should get in return is be let to express his opinion on how they are doing. In principle, that's why you become a fan in the first place - to magnify and purge emotion on a certain "thing" of your choosing instead of holding it in. Fans either "fan the flames" or that other thing, if it hits them. They are just amplifiers of what is, you can't blame them for the teams' playing bad.

• Information