Reason 12 is coming!

This forum is for discussing Reason. Questions, answers, ideas, and opinions... all apply.
User avatar
MrFigg
Posts: 6519
Joined: 20 Apr 2018

Post 11 Jun 2021

Jackjackdaw wrote:
11 Jun 2021
MrFigg wrote:
11 Jun 2021


Right!!! Back to this. What exactly am I supposed to be experiencing? No latency here. I put the metronome on 110bpm. Buffer size on 64. Started recording. Played a guitar note on each beat. Did the same thing with delay comp both on and off. No latency problems at all. Have I missed a step? R11.3.9d22
You need to add an effect that introduces latency. A limiter with look ahead or a heavy CPU reverb or something. That's when DC kicks in
What about the fact that he's got the buffer size set to 2048? That's a lot of latency just there right?

I had an issue with a VST causing latency on other audio tracks earlier this year. Was indeed latency compensation. Here's the thread. That was R10
viewtopic.php?f=4&t=7520902&hilit=quadravox
丰2ॐ

User avatar
guitfnky
Posts: 3476
Joined: 19 Jan 2015

Post 11 Jun 2021

MrFigg wrote:
11 Jun 2021
Jackjackdaw wrote:
11 Jun 2021


You need to add an effect that introduces latency. A limiter with look ahead or a heavy CPU reverb or something. That's when DC kicks in
What about the fact that he's got the buffer size set to 2048? That's a lot of latency just there right?

I had an issue with a VST causing latency on other audio tracks earlier this year. Was indeed latency compensation. Here's the thread. That was R10
viewtopic.php?f=4&t=7520902&hilit=quadravox
a buffer size that high should result in monitoring latency, not latency on playback.

User avatar
MrFigg
Posts: 6519
Joined: 20 Apr 2018

Post 11 Jun 2021

guitfnky wrote:
11 Jun 2021
MrFigg wrote:
11 Jun 2021


What about the fact that he's got the buffer size set to 2048? That's a lot of latency just there right?

I had an issue with a VST causing latency on other audio tracks earlier this year. Was indeed latency compensation. Here's the thread. That was R10
viewtopic.php?f=4&t=7520902&hilit=quadravox
a buffer size that high should result in monitoring latency, not latency on playback.
Aa right.
But as I said in R10 I had an audio track with a VST on it. When I tried to record another audio track I was getting latency in that until I turned off the VST in the first track. Also worked fine when I turned off latency compensation. Is that the same issue or another? If the same then its not R11.3.9 specific right?
丰2ॐ

User avatar
chimp_spanner
Posts: 2606
Joined: 06 Mar 2015

Post 11 Jun 2021

MrFigg wrote:
11 Jun 2021
guitfnky wrote:
11 Jun 2021


a buffer size that high should result in monitoring latency, not latency on playback.
Aa right.
But as I said in R10 I had an audio track with a VST on it. When I tried to record another audio track I was getting latency in that until I turned off the VST in the first track. Also worked fine when I turned off latency compensation. Is that the same issue or another? If the same then its not R11.3.9 specific right?
Yeah Guit beat me to it but the issue is that it should place the recording at the right time regardless of what your audio interface buffer size is. As I said this isn't exclusive to Reason. Live also does it, although you can get around it by using two tracks to record; one to monitor, one to record. Cubase just does it properly to begin with. Sample accurate regardless of PDC or buffer.

User avatar
EnochLight
Moderator
Posts: 6974
Joined: 17 Jan 2015

Post 11 Jun 2021

MaMue wrote:
11 Jun 2021
There are so many workflow killers, but they just do not care, its really sad. Today I had to click on every mixer channel and click "create automation", before I could start recording the automation of the solo/mute button triggered by a Korg nanokontrol.
There is just so much that could be optimized, who the f**k needs soundpacks or new devices? That basic stuff is often so far behind....

But I am really tired after all these years and I think I need to quit.
You PM'd me a couple of times asking me to delete your account a few days ago, yet you're still here posting. Have you changed your mind? Do want us mods to delete your account? If you're not happy and have no intention of contributing to this community, I have no problem deleting it. Just let me know...
Win 10 | Reason 11 Suite |  Studio 1 4.6 | i7 3770k @ 3.5 Ghz | 16 GB RAM | Reactor 1TB SSD | RME Babyface Pro | Panorama P-4 | Akai MPC Live 2 & Force | Roland System 8, TR-8 7x7 Expansion, MX1, JX8P, TB3 | Ensoniq SQ1 Plus | Korg Minilogue XD

kitekrazy
Posts: 836
Joined: 19 Jan 2015

Post 11 Jun 2021

DaveyG wrote:
10 Jun 2021
Right now, on the RS home page the first three headings, in a huge font, are:
Plug in Reason. The ultimate plugin for music makers.
Plug in Reason to find your own unique sound
We’re a plugin (and a DAW)
Nuff said really. :puf_smile:
Many forget Reason was a complimentary DAW when they developed Rewire. Years ago I came across many Reason users who used it in their DAW, With the $129 upgrade many people would upgrade because the price isn't that expensive.

RobBarnett
Posts: 46
Joined: 15 Jul 2015
Location: Wirral, UK

Post 11 Jun 2021

challism wrote:
10 Jun 2021
littlejam wrote:
10 Jun 2021
hello,

so 11.3.9 fixes the memory leak issue
however, above 11.3.4 has the latency issue
curious if r12 will sort all this out?

cheers,

j
I'm not sure when the memory leak issue was created. It could have very well been caused with all the updates between 11.3.4 and 11.3.9.
11.3.5, for instance, apparently had a lot of under the hood changes, which may have caused the memory leak issue. I remember first becoming aware of the issue because the DSP wheel would never stop turning. But that doesn't seem to be happening in 11.3.4, at least as far as I can tell. I'm currently running 11.3.4.
Thanks for this guys. I thought I was going mad and that my MBP was just too old to cope with the tracks/instruments/effects. I've just downgraded to 11.3.4 and a really problematic song (loads of pops and clicks through internal sound card AND Focusrite Saffire Pro 40 previously) is now pop and click free - seems the releases after 11.3.4 have degraded performance on my setup - Hope the introduction of these issues shortly before the announcement of V12 are unrelated and get fixed on V11 for those who do not wish to upgrade to V12 ??????
I've logged a support ticket so fingers crossed

User avatar
nooomy
Posts: 479
Joined: 16 Jan 2015

Post 12 Jun 2021

MaMue wrote:
11 Jun 2021
There are so many workflow killers, but they just do not care, its really sad. Today I had to click on every mixer channel and click "create automation", before I could start recording the automation of the solo/mute button triggered by a Korg nanokontrol.
There is just so much that could be optimized, who the f**k needs soundpacks or new devices? That basic stuff is often so far behind....

But I am really tired after all these years and I think I need to quit.
I don’t get it?

I use reason because of the workflow and the sequencer. I would argue that Reason has the best workflow for me.

If you don’t like the DAW you should use another one?

It is a hobby and you should use the DAW that you have the most fun in.

User avatar
Billy+
Posts: 2129
Joined: 09 Dec 2016

Post 12 Jun 2021

nooomy wrote:
12 Jun 2021
MaMue wrote:
11 Jun 2021
There are so many workflow killers, but they just do not care, its really sad. Today I had to click on every mixer channel and click "create automation", before I could start recording the automation of the solo/mute button triggered by a Korg nanokontrol.
There is just so much that could be optimized, who the f**k needs soundpacks or new devices? That basic stuff is often so far behind....

But I am really tired after all these years and I think I need to quit.
I don’t get it?

I use reason because of the workflow and the sequencer. I would argue that Reason has the best workflow for me.

If you don’t like the DAW you should use another one?

It is a hobby and you should use the DAW that you have the most fun in.
I agree Reasons workflow is better than all the other DAW's I've tried and although it's missing a few things I wouldn't swap it for anything currently available, it just makes sense.
ˁ˚ᴥ˚ˀ Time for a good long sleep ˁ˚ᴥ˚ˀ

User avatar
guitfnky
Posts: 3476
Joined: 19 Jan 2015

Post 12 Jun 2021

nooomy wrote:
12 Jun 2021
MaMue wrote:
11 Jun 2021
There are so many workflow killers, but they just do not care, its really sad. Today I had to click on every mixer channel and click "create automation", before I could start recording the automation of the solo/mute button triggered by a Korg nanokontrol.
There is just so much that could be optimized, who the f**k needs soundpacks or new devices? That basic stuff is often so far behind....

But I am really tired after all these years and I think I need to quit.
I don’t get it?

I use reason because of the workflow and the sequencer. I would argue that Reason has the best workflow for me.

If you don’t like the DAW you should use another one?

It is a hobby and you should use the DAW that you have the most fun in.
they can’t know which features people really want if everyone just shuts up and switches to other software. we can simultaneously love Reason AND want it to be better. I don’t get how that’s so difficult for some people to understand.

User avatar
Loque
Moderator
Posts: 8912
Joined: 28 Dec 2015

Post 12 Jun 2021

I blame Reason workflow and Reaason sound, that i am not yet famous with my music.
:reason: 11, Win10 64Bit.

User avatar
guitfnky
Posts: 3476
Joined: 19 Jan 2015

Post 12 Jun 2021

Loque wrote:
12 Jun 2021
I blame Reason workflow and Reaason sound, that i am not yet famous with my music.
I know you’re all mr sunshine and positivity this week, but nobody complains about Reason because they can’t make the music they want. the only complaint is that it’s not efficient to use Reason for a whole buttload of easy-to-fix reasons.

User avatar
Loque
Moderator
Posts: 8912
Joined: 28 Dec 2015

Post 12 Jun 2021

guitfnky wrote:
12 Jun 2021
Loque wrote:
12 Jun 2021
I blame Reason workflow and Reaason sound, that i am not yet famous with my music.
I know you’re all mr sunshine and positivity this week, but nobody complains about Reason because they can’t make the music they want. the only complaint is that it’s not efficient to use Reason for a whole buttload of easy-to-fix reasons.
I know you are all mr darknight this year... Better invest in making music instead of useless complaints.

If the tool is not efficient, use a different one.

If no better tool exist, create your own or live with it.
:reason: 11, Win10 64Bit.

User avatar
guitfnky
Posts: 3476
Joined: 19 Jan 2015

Post 12 Jun 2021

Loque wrote:
12 Jun 2021
guitfnky wrote:
12 Jun 2021


I know you’re all mr sunshine and positivity this week, but nobody complains about Reason because they can’t make the music they want. the only complaint is that it’s not efficient to use Reason for a whole buttload of easy-to-fix reasons.
I know you are all mr darknight this year... Better invest in making music instead of useless complaints.

If the tool is not efficient, use a different one.

If no better tool exist, create your own or live with it.
😂 I’ve made a shit ton of music in Reason. I DO use other tools. I just want Reason to improve so I can do more of the first thing, and less of the second.

but, excellent job missing the point. 👍🏼

User avatar
Loque
Moderator
Posts: 8912
Joined: 28 Dec 2015

Post 12 Jun 2021

guitfnky wrote:
12 Jun 2021
Loque wrote:
12 Jun 2021


I know you are all mr darknight this year... Better invest in making music instead of useless complaints.

If the tool is not efficient, use a different one.

If no better tool exist, create your own or live with it.
😂 I’ve made a shit ton of music in Reason. I DO use other tools. I just want Reason to improve so I can do more of the first thing, and less of the second.

but, excellent job missing the point. 👍🏼
Naa, i get your point. You came here to moan in your free time. Get the beta, help to make it better. Talk to RS to make it better. Maybe be more constructive instead of just moaning on a forum. :thumbs_up:
:reason: 11, Win10 64Bit.

User avatar
guitfnky
Posts: 3476
Joined: 19 Jan 2015

Post 12 Jun 2021

Loque wrote:
12 Jun 2021
guitfnky wrote:
12 Jun 2021


😂 I’ve made a shit ton of music in Reason. I DO use other tools. I just want Reason to improve so I can do more of the first thing, and less of the second.

but, excellent job missing the point. 👍🏼
Naa, i get your point. You came here to moan in your free time. Get the beta, help to make it better. Talk to RS to make it better. Maybe be more constructive instead of just moaning on a forum. :thumbs_up:
clearly you don’t. I come here *when* I’m not making music. I don’t come here *because* I’m not making music.

and if you’ve seen me at all in the forums over the last few years (and I know you have), you already know I bring my complaints directly to RS, both here on the forum, and by submitting feature requests through the website.

I don’t complain into the void. complaining that people should just shut up and be content is complaining too, and I can promise you’ll get fewer results with that than those of us grumbling about something constructive.

User avatar
Loque
Moderator
Posts: 8912
Joined: 28 Dec 2015

Post 12 Jun 2021

guitfnky wrote:
12 Jun 2021
Loque wrote:
12 Jun 2021

Naa, i get your point. You came here to moan in your free time. Get the beta, help to make it better. Talk to RS to make it better. Maybe be more constructive instead of just moaning on a forum. :thumbs_up:
clearly you don’t. I come here *when* I’m not making music. I don’t come here *because* I’m not making music.

and if you’ve seen me at all in the forums over the last few years (and I know you have), you already know I bring my complaints directly to RS, both here on the forum, and by submitting feature requests through the website.

I don’t complain into the void. complaining that people should just shut up and be content is complaining too, and I can promise you’ll get fewer results with that than those of us grumbling about something constructive.
I think everyone heard your complaints more than enough. No need to repeat them again and again.
:reason: 11, Win10 64Bit.

EndOfGreatness
Posts: 7
Joined: 25 May 2016

Post 12 Jun 2021

nooomy wrote:
12 Jun 2021
MaMue wrote:
11 Jun 2021
There are so many workflow killers, but they just do not care, its really sad. Today I had to click on every mixer channel and click "create automation", before I could start recording the automation of the solo/mute button triggered by a Korg nanokontrol.
There is just so much that could be optimized, who the f**k needs soundpacks or new devices? That basic stuff is often so far behind....

But I am really tired after all these years and I think I need to quit.
I don’t get it?

I use reason because of the workflow and the sequencer. I would argue that Reason has the best workflow for me.

If you don’t like the DAW you should use another one?

It is a hobby and you should use the DAW that you have the most fun in.
Squeaky wheel gets the grease. There's always going to be people whining when they don't get what they want. Most of the "workflow killers" are in actuality are just minor inconveniences that are easy to work around. Could Reason be better? Definitely. Does it's current state really destroy productivity? Only if you let it. But as you said, if you are just gonna complain non-stop about a program, go and find another program.
Sound Designer for 1336 Studios - Reasoning since 2001

User avatar
guitfnky
Posts: 3476
Joined: 19 Jan 2015

Post 12 Jun 2021

Loque wrote:
12 Jun 2021
guitfnky wrote:
12 Jun 2021


clearly you don’t. I come here *when* I’m not making music. I don’t come here *because* I’m not making music.

and if you’ve seen me at all in the forums over the last few years (and I know you have), you already know I bring my complaints directly to RS, both here on the forum, and by submitting feature requests through the website.

I don’t complain into the void. complaining that people should just shut up and be content is complaining too, and I can promise you’ll get fewer results with that than those of us grumbling about something constructive.
I think everyone heard your complaints more than enough. No need to repeat them again and again.
agreed—that’s why I’m not rehashing my Reason gripes right now. glad we’re on the same page. 👍🏼

User avatar
Raveshaper
Posts: 1087
Joined: 16 Jan 2015

Post 13 Jun 2021

I came to skim through the discussion, but this was all I found:
Image

This is some sort of grim, biblical prophecy, nuclear-winter-level meltdown if the venerable EnochLight and adfielding have announced having thrown in the towel. I say that with no disrespect or sarcasm; these two are practically institutions in this community. I just never thought I'd witness them reaching their limit with this app. Like, ever.

So many regulars have left this board it's like a graveyard of its former self. Scorched earth compared to just a couple years ago. I digress.

***
catblack wrote:My frustrations are not due to all of this controller programming, but rather how hidden away the remotables are from your midi controller. Even in the demo videos that Reason puts out, it's always a mouse moving one control at a time. I keep referring to this as an existential disconnect because the Remotables exist! It's a wonderful spec, an amazing technology! It's right there but you can't see it from the front end of the program!
Ah, yes. This old facepalm. I'll chime in one more time about this, maybe their ears will prick up..

The single most revolutionary change that Reason could make is to replace the Remote Override Edit Mode with a new skin on the current implementation. Something like this.

As a User, I Can:
  • Set any and all pertinent Remote mappings from the Edit Mode view of the Rack.
  • Draw links between device controls, allowing for visual feedback of affected min/max knob turn, etc. (as seen in Massive and others.)
  • Visually program desired behavior entirely within the app interface, with "save in song" by default and option to export as customizable files.
Anyway, look. I'm already done. I've made that plain. Again, couldn't help myself. This time because of the whole nuclear winter vibe I'm getting from the die-off of regulars. But it's not all schadenfreude.

Actions speak louder than words, and even better if it's on video. So, I need somebody's help with getting OBS + Reason + Soundflower working (I want Reason Audio-Out and Built-In MacBook Audio-In combined inside of OBS). Then I can finally make a video I've been wanting to make for a loooong time. The mythical and potentially hilarious DataBridge Demo.

I mean, I think it'll be pretty funny. But I have a warped sense of humor.
adfielding wrote:Interestingly, I think the idea of workarounds actually explains my personal concern with the current direction of Reason to a certain degree. Despite being not-so-great for workflow, I've generally accepted that workarounds have been necessary to use Reason the way I've wanted to in the past - though certain features (mainly audio recording & VST support) have gone a massive way in stomping out the most egregious workarounds, it feels like new ones keep popping up.

However, the biggest for me is the idea of hosting Reason inside another DAW to compensate for the current limitations of the standalone environment. It's great that the option is there (and I think I'd be a fool to suggest otherwise), but it does feel like a very tidy way to side-step any issues people have with using Reason standalone. "Now you can use Reason in your favourite DAW" is a great selling point if your favourite DAW is anything other than Reason. If, like me, Reason IS your favourite DAW - well, sticking it in a completely different environment is quite the workaround! Still, it's absolutely in keeping with my own trend in accepting workarounds as a cost of using Reason the way I want to - so there's that, I guess.
This was exactly my breaking point. I worked on my Remote project for roughly 5 years, all told. But in the end, it was a massive, rabbit-hole-esque added layer of abstraction that was ultimately nothing but a giant workaround.

The whole purpose was to shore up the user experience to what it could and should be. So once I had built my project and gotten used to it, it soured me on ever going back to "vanilla" Reason again. Even so, the experience was like handling a Faberge Egg with mile-long tweezers and a telescope. Remote just doesn't have the facilities to make what I had designed "user friendly" or "smoothly integrated". Namely, a GUI for mapping control flow networks between devices and native app support for "save in song" of those same control flow networks.

It was then that I realized my work had been a waste, despite having pushed the technology of Remote as far as I could take it. It felt like I, as one person, had more vision and drive than the entire team behind the app itself. The day would never come when my efforts would be realized as an official feature that I could no longer live without. So, I cut my losses and left.

But the thing is, no one has ever seen my creation (or more importantly heard my creation) in action. I think that RS should at least be aware of the implications of adding such a feature officially; especially MattiasHG. I'm agnostic to the outcome, I just owe everybody that's left a proper rundown after so much talk.

Somebody help me get my audio setup. :puf_smile:
:reason: :ignition: :re: :refillpacker: Enhanced by DataBridge v5

User avatar
orthodox
RE Developer
Posts: 1554
Joined: 22 Jan 2015

Post 13 Jun 2021

Raveshaper wrote:
13 Jun 2021
So, I need somebody's help with getting OBS + Reason + Soundflower working (I want Reason Audio-Out and Built-In MacBook Audio-In combined inside of OBS).
This question needs a dedicated topic so that more people could see it.
I can't help, unfortunately, as I'm a Windows user.
Active Reason+ subscriber with (hopefully) early R12 access
Reason 11 Suite gathering dust on the shelf

User avatar
challism
Moderator
Posts: 2730
Joined: 17 Jan 2015

Post 13 Jun 2021

orthodox wrote:
13 Jun 2021
Raveshaper wrote:
13 Jun 2021
So, I need somebody's help with getting OBS + Reason + Soundflower working (I want Reason Audio-Out and Built-In MacBook Audio-In combined inside of OBS).
This question needs a dedicated topic so that more people could see it.
I can't help, unfortunately, as I'm a Windows user.
Yes, it would be much better to just post this question as a new topic so it will get seen, addressed, and likely answered. It will also help keep this thread on topic; I don't think your question really has anything to do with Reason 12, does it? Thanks
Loque wrote:
12 Jun 2021
guitfnky wrote:
12 Jun 2021

clearly you don’t. I come here *when* I’m not making music. I don’t come here *because* I’m not making music.
I think everyone heard your complaints more than enough. No need to repeat them again and again.
I would suggest you record your complaints to track. Then you can play them back as a loop, add some drums and accompaniment. This will allow you to hear yourself complain about the same thing over and over again AND you get to make music at the same time; Best of both worlds, brother!
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Players are to MIDI what synthesizers are to waveforms.

ReasonTalk Rules and Guidelines

User avatar
Faastwalker
Posts: 1842
Joined: 15 Jan 2015

Post Yesterday

Loque wrote:
12 Jun 2021
I blame Reason workflow and Reason sound, that i am not yet famous with my music.
LOL, brilliant ............... yeah, me to :D

I just want to say, I'm fine with the sequencer. I mean I don't enough enough about sequencers to know how to improve it!! Reason is the only DAW I've used for well over a decade now. I fear, if I went to another DAW I wouldn't know what the feck I was doing! :-/ If you asked me what I'd like improved in Reason's sequencer I'd struggle for an answer off the top of my head. I'd have to get back to you! But I imagine I'd only come up with a very short list. I'm out of the loop as far as the competition and I'm pretty happy with Reason, so ......... :?

kbard
Posts: 8
Joined: 05 Jun 2021

Post Yesterday

Hi guys. Just a personal perspective. So look at it like that. It's not empirical.

I am coming from 20 years of using Cubase, Live and FL Studio (in that order). Not just software but hardware instruments as well.
Reason is far from being perfect when it comes to hardware integration.

My point is: I wouldn't change it at all. I am sure (by reading this thread) many will not agree with me, however the clutter free thing in Reason is exactly Reason strength.

I don't need 480 new features each year, which causes 635 new workflow issues and bugs. I don't need that. I need stability and speedy workflow. Their browser is nearly perfect.

Yes, as someone who worked with 3 major DAWs across two decades I can see the shortcoming of Reason clearly.

However sometimes less is more. It's cliche but it's being applied to the theme in my own experience.

Discovering Reason is like coming home. I have done much more stuff in the last few months than previous years in other DAWs. It just keeps pushing me to experiment.

Regarding latency and monitoring my drum machines and synths, recording them and incorporating them into the session itself - Reason is PERFECT in this regard. Try to get stable midi clock SYNC from Live heh. Yes it has its own issues, there are weird workarounds but I beg them not to change something drastically.

I am looking forward to R12. Will upgrade on day one. I just beg them to leave Reason "DAW" aspect similar to their "simplistic" core.

Word of advice from someone doing this for decades: don't spend time being frustrated if something is not working for you. Don't wait for other companies to go your way. Try to find a workaround if they don't work as you expected you simply move on. It's the way of the world. Life is too short.

User avatar
orthodox
RE Developer
Posts: 1554
Joined: 22 Jan 2015

Post Yesterday

Sometimes,
Less is more
Sometimes,
Peace is war
That's how it goes
It's the way of the world
Just move on
Life is too short
Active Reason+ subscriber with (hopefully) early R12 access
Reason 11 Suite gathering dust on the shelf

  • Information
  • Who is online

    Users browsing this forum: Carpainter, CommonCrawl [Bot], friday and 5 guests