Reason 12: A better search and browser

This forum is for discussing Reason. Questions, answers, ideas, and opinions... all apply.
Heigen5

21 May 2021

Well then, will the R12 search become faster or will the sound browser get better in any way? I guess we need to wait for it to drop to find out.
Anyhow, I suggested for a faster search many years ago so fingers crossed for that.

DaveyG

21 May 2021

A faster search would be good. But a proper indexer/tagger/librarian thing would be infinitely better. I'd like to instantly list all patches for a particular instrument and also all patches tagged with "bass" or "pad" or "pluck" etc. I have hundreds of refills and hundreds of patch folders and they are not very well organised.

And if they want to put the final polish on such a thing then give us the ability to share tags, so someone can tag everything in a particular refill and then share it with the world.

Ottostrom

21 May 2021

Well we don't really need to wait to find out if the browser is getting improved or not since that was one of the four things they already announced :)
"To help you navigate all this content, we're also improving the Reason browser. Search is now blazing fast and your search results are categorized to easily find what you want."

Yonatan

21 May 2021

The positive thing with RRP all the sound packs and now with sampler and upgraded combinator, is that the handling and organisation of things will become even more crucial, and thus RS will also see the great value to do such betterments so we can easily sort, tag and find whatever we need.
But, exactly what RS has done in this stage, will be known soon, but still unclear as far as I can see.

guitfnky

21 May 2021

Ottostrom wrote:
21 May 2021
Well we don't really need to wait to find out if the browser is getting improved or not since that was one of the four things they already announced :)
"To help you navigate all this content, we're also improving the Reason browser. Search is now blazing fast and your search results are categorized to easily find what you want."
right? I was wondering why this was a question. :lol:

as for the OP saying he's requested it a while back—yeah, so have tons of other people. 🤷‍♂️
I write music for good people

https://slowrobot.bandcamp.com/

Loque

21 May 2021

Ottostrom wrote:
21 May 2021
Yep. And since you need to index all the stuff and use some kind of database, a lot of more things are possible in future. I can imagine of
* Favorites
* 5 star votes
* Tagging/Categorizing
* Replace that damn f*** "Sound not found" dialog with something more useful
* Search by: Vendor, RE, VST, ...
* Sorting by different tags, types, votes or whatever
Reason12, Win10

DaveyG

21 May 2021

"Blazing fast" is a bold claim. I think they probably meant to say "blazingly" but, either way, I look forward to it!

Heigen5

21 May 2021

guitfnky wrote:
21 May 2021
Ottostrom wrote:
21 May 2021
right? I was wondering why this was a question. :lol:

as for the OP saying he's requested it a while back—yeah, so have tons of other people. 🤷‍♂️
Yeah, my suggestion was this (the link goes to the reasonheads.com forum): https://reasonheads.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=38&t=119
But yeah YAY - another big feature impovment!

Edit: And yes, I know I wasn't the only one suggesting this. ;)

xylyx

22 May 2021

Does it index all your refills? It would make all the refills much more useful if the browser scanned them and let you navigate the content rather than having to look in each refill for what you want.

deeplink
Competition Winner

22 May 2021

I just hope there is a shortcut, where you can press a button and immediately start typing.
Get more Combinators at the deeplink website

tallguy

22 May 2021

I've always wished they'd create the option for adding a small, low quality preview sound to the reason file format. I doubt it wil happen, but I'll keep my fingers and toes crossed.

Yonatan

22 May 2021

tallguy wrote:
22 May 2021
I've always wished they'd create the option for adding a small, low quality preview sound to the reason file format. I doubt it wil happen, but I'll keep my fingers and toes crossed.
You mean the full song files so you can easily get a glimpse of the project without having to load it? That would be very handy, would love that. Some song files have names that I forgot what it could be. At least first step would be to be able to put in meta data so one could easily search

tallguy

22 May 2021

Yonatan wrote:
22 May 2021
You mean the full song files so you can easily get a glimpse of the project without having to load it? That would be very handy, would love that. Some song files have names that I forgot what it could be. At least first step would be to be able to put in meta data so one could easily search
Or even just the first 10-30 seconds. Enough to trigger a memory. I'm sure it's not that straightforward as it would have to be rendered in the background to avoid Reason freezing up every time you save.

Yonatan

22 May 2021

tallguy wrote:
22 May 2021
Yonatan wrote:
22 May 2021
Or even just the first 10-30 seconds. Enough to trigger a memory. I'm sure it's not that straightforward as it would have to be rendered in the background to avoid Reason freezing up every time you save.
At least RS has implemented mp3 export, so 10-30 sec lossy snippet could ideally be a choice within preferences for each song. Or a question box when closing the project. It would be so very helpful.

tallguy

22 May 2021

Yonatan wrote:
22 May 2021
At least RS has implemented mp3 export, so 10-30 sec lossy snippet could ideally be a choice within preferences for each song. Or a question box when closing the project. It would be so very helpful.
Yeah, I think a lot of people have lots of song ideas drifting around on their drives as Reason is a real musical sketchpad. Having little sonic previews would be wonderful when looking through older files.

makke

22 May 2021

Hopefully they also add that loops / sounds will preview on sync with the project...

MrFigg
Competition Winner

22 May 2021

Yonatan wrote:
22 May 2021

At least RS has implemented mp3 export
You don’t know how glad reading this made me. I finally have 11 installed on my pc and was thinking why bother. But there you go...mp3 export. Had totally forgotten they did that. Thanks :)
🗲 2ॐ ᛉ

Krell

22 May 2021

Basically just copy Bitwig's browser and you're good to go.
Reason 12 // Bitwig 4 // Live 11 // Logic Pro X // Fabfilter // Soundtoys // Arturia // Vintage Hardware

avasopht
Competition Winner

22 May 2021

tallguy wrote:
22 May 2021
Back in the day, there was a Reason player that could play Reason files without opening Reason.

But it would be cool if the first 15 seconds were rendered automatically.

jam-s

22 May 2021

avasopht wrote:
22 May 2021
But it would be cool if the first 15 seconds were rendered automatically.
I thin it would be better to have the loop section auto rendered as a preview snippet on save.

tallguy

23 May 2021

avasopht wrote:
22 May 2021
Back in the day, there was a Reason player that could play Reason files without opening Reason.
Ah, maybe that was possible in the days before VSTs and rack extensions?

Tinnitus

24 May 2021

I've being using resonic.at browser since r10s has been dreadfully slow. It's amazing but Windows only. Id recommend your check it out. Ultra fast search and audio playback.

adfielding

26 May 2021

Tinnitus wrote:
24 May 2021
I've being using resonic.at browser since r10s has been dreadfully slow. It's amazing but Windows only. Id recommend your check it out. Ultra fast search and audio playback.
I hadn't even considered using an external browser - not so much for Reason, but Cubase relies on the OS browser/explorer so this is a very nice find for me. Thanks!

plaamook

30 May 2021

I don't use refills so I tend to just use finder windows in OSX. Easy to audition sounds. drag and drop. No probs.
Except that there's this little bug where sometimes after drag and drop I can't use shortcuts in Reason till I click a finder window/desktop and then back to Reason. Weird.
Perpetual Reason 12 Beta Tester :reason:

You can check out my music here.
https://m.soundcloud.com/ericholmofficial
Or here.
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC73uZZ ... 8jqUubzsQg

plaamook

30 May 2021

MrFigg wrote:
22 May 2021
Yonatan wrote:
22 May 2021

At least RS has implemented mp3 export
You don’t know how glad reading this made me. I finally have 11 installed on my pc and was thinking why bother. But there you go...mp3 export. Had totally forgotten they did that. Thanks :)
Thanks. I forgot they added that in 11. Makes me feel that little bit better.
I've been bouncing 30sec MP3's instead of wav's of each track or patch so I can preview them. Keeps the data pile a little bit smaller I guess.
Perpetual Reason 12 Beta Tester :reason:

You can check out my music here.
https://m.soundcloud.com/ericholmofficial
Or here.
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC73uZZ ... 8jqUubzsQg

• Information