Reason 12 is coming!

This forum is for discussing Reason. Questions, answers, ideas, and opinions... all apply.
DJMaytag

18 May 2021

joeyluck wrote:
17 May 2021
I'm not trying to sell anybody on a subscription, but I don't get where all of this "paying more" comes from. The numbers just don't show that.
There was an online app that you could use to determine if Suite was a good bargain for you. I filled out the form for what I owned and what I wanted, and Suite was a HORRIBLE deal for me. I would apply that same logic towards Reason+, as there's not a ton of things I really WANT that it offers.

However, gaining priority access to updates that only R+ subscribers will get for things that will end up in R12 (and presumably R13 down the road)? That's a number that will be difficult to nail down. I'm at least considering whether or not it's worth it to me to try R+ until September, just to get those early updated features.

That said, spending $90 now (realistically $105 to get 6-months no-interest from PP Credit) where I am not in a good position to make that purchase versus paying the full $129 later? I've bought enough stuff in the past 60 days where I may well have to wait and pony up a bit more. $30 isn't a deal breaker, so... whatever. Sometimes spending more at some point can be a good thing.

scotward57

18 May 2021

I'm proud of Reason Studios for sticking to their guns and doubling down on their strengths. They are the best at hardware substitution and the new features in v12 will make the Reason Rack the absolute greatest tool for sound design.

It's sad there are so many Reason users who have no creativity or original thought about what they believe is missing in Reason's sequencer. Like sheep, they just rattle off one stupid idea after another about something they saw on YouTube about another DAW. I'd like to gather these cretins and drop them off on an island with an old Tascam 4 track cassette recorder and tell them to go figure it out.

And Reason Studios Inc., being the sweeties that they are, offered these folks the best of both worlds in v11. They announced to the whiners that they could not only hit the road and follow their DAW fantasies to their heart's content, but they could even take the Reason Rack with them. What an unbelievably generous gift!

Catblack

18 May 2021

guitfnky wrote:
18 May 2021
Billy+ wrote:
18 May 2021

I'm not looking for interesting features I'm looking for standards that are in every other DAW. 1 feature would have me doing leaps of joy and I've been waiting since version 9.5.

Finish the VST implementation and let me use VST MIDI devices like all the other DAW's do, I would upgrade just for that without it it's pointless as I can already use RRP in other DAW's that do work fully.
100%. VST MIDI out, for me, and VST3 doesn’t impact me that much, but it’s long past due.

seriously, I would be over the moon if they just added some goddamn markers, auto punch, and track folders. simple stuff.
Allvarligt, hur svårt är det att genomföra?
(badly auto-translating it to Swedish so maybe Reason Studios will listen.)
If you ain't hip to the rare Housequake, shut up already.

Damn.

korvaxsound

18 May 2021

So now that we know Reason+ gets features faster. Product differentiation between Reason perpetual and Reason+ is a little clearer to me, but am I correct in assuming there will be no point upgrades in the future to perpetual license holders? Point upgrade features go to Reason+ subscribers which will eventually be rolled into the next major version of Reason for perpetual license owners. Some clarity on this would be greatly appreciated.

joeyluck

19 May 2021

korvaxsound wrote:
18 May 2021
So now that we know Reason+ gets features faster. Product differentiation between Reason perpetual and Reason+ is a little clearer to me, but am I correct in assuming there will be no point upgrades in the future to perpetual license holders? Point upgrade features go to Reason+ subscribers which will eventually be rolled into the next major version of Reason for perpetual license owners. Some clarity on this would be greatly appreciated.
I believe it's only this way going into a new version involving features intended for a new major release. I'm sure they would still plan features mid-cycle that are released in tandem, just as we've seen since the launch of R+ during the cycle of R11.

They will need to continue a flow of new things to keep R+ users engaged and subscribing. If your question is if every feature introduced after September will be only for R+ and then R13 later...I would say the answer is no.

Yonatan

19 May 2021

Subscribe rent to own option or a lower upgrade price than $90, for R11 users, is what could make me spend any more on RS stuff.
Going subscribe without owning at some point, why should one buy more REs?
And about the upgrade price, almost whole time, we have had a memory handling fault. We should expect a very special discount in my opinion.

dhruan

19 May 2021

chaosroyale wrote:
18 May 2021
Honestly, I would be happy with a couple of really small things, like if the sequencer was able to zoom out to the whole track, because of course it should
Ummm, at least in R11.3 pressing 'Z' zooms between the chosen clip and the entire track (based on the clips/content on tracks). Was this what you were after?
soundcloud.com/armsgrade

Creativemind

19 May 2021

challism wrote:
18 May 2021
strange_scenery wrote:
18 May 2021

In the blog post they mention more CV inputs, so while we don't know the exact amount there should be more than 4.
Creativemind wrote:
18 May 2021
There's 8 CV ins.

2 in the Sequencer Control section, the 4 rotary's and 1 each for the Mod Wheels and Pitch Bend. If it is a 25% increase, that's 8 to 10 lol!
Click the "show programmer" button. There are 4 more CV ins hiding down there.
8.JPG
That'd be 12 to 16 then lol!
:reason:

Reason Studio's 11.3 / Cockos Reaper 6.82 / Cakewalk By Bandlab / Orion 8.6
http://soundcloud.com/creativemind75/iv ... soul-mix-3

bidaar

19 May 2021

ok so the situation is , for a 11 owner , I can either Subscribe to Reason+ and get the features sooner or wait till 2,3 months later and then upgrade right? because theres a 12 upgrade for 11 owners yet? Im thinking maybe I should forget about Reason+ Buy some more REs while its MM and worry about 12 Upgrade in 2,3 Months?
Reason 11 Suite l FL Studio l Leaning Ableton n Bitwig l Windows 10 64bit
Trying and Learning to be a : Hip-Hop / Trap , Electronic & Experimental Producer l Mixing Engineer

dusan.cani

19 May 2021

Lotuz2019 wrote:
18 May 2021
MattiasHG wrote:
17 May 2021

Yes, we'll bump the system requirements to macOS 10.13 and above and Windows 10 and above. This was a long time coming and it really helps development when we don't have support older, quite technically different systems. :)
Mattias,

There are companies that say they don't support older Windows versions and this either means:

-the product can still be installed on older Windows versions, but it might not function properly and no support can be given

or

-the product won't install at all on older Windows versions.

Not everybody is keen on upgrading to Windows 10. Could you please tell which route RS is going?
I am curious too regarding which of the two scenarios will take place for Reason 12. I still use Win 7, can't stand W10 and will stay on 7 as long as possible.

chaosroyale

19 May 2021

No, it f*cking doesn't.

"Z" only toggles the zoom between the selected section up to a length of about 650 bars, or the full sequencer window up to a length of about 650 bars. You simply cannot zoom out to see the whole project above a certain length. Seriously, try it. It is arbitrary and stupid, and makes Reason impossible to use for certain soundtrack projects, which I happen to work on.

There is no way to zoom out beyond 650-ish bars.

I'm not angry at you ;) I'm amazed that this basic shit doesn't work in a product 20 years old.
dhruan wrote:
19 May 2021
chaosroyale wrote:
18 May 2021
Honestly, I would be happy with a couple of really small things, like if the sequencer was able to zoom out to the whole track, because of course it should
Ummm, at least in R11.3 pressing 'Z' zooms between the chosen clip and the entire track (based on the clips/content on tracks). Was this what you were after?

MattiasHG
Reason Studios

19 May 2021

dusan.cani wrote:
19 May 2021
Lotuz2019 wrote:
18 May 2021

Mattias,

There are companies that say they don't support older Windows versions and this either means:

-the product can still be installed on older Windows versions, but it might not function properly and no support can be given

or

-the product won't install at all on older Windows versions.

Not everybody is keen on upgrading to Windows 10. Could you please tell which route RS is going?
I am curious too regarding which of the two scenarios will take place for Reason 12. I still use Win 7, can't stand W10 and will stay on 7 as long as possible.
The installer won't install at all on Windows 7, Windows 10 will be required to use Reason 12.

MaMue

19 May 2021

- TRACK FOLDERS / SEQUENCER UPDATES PLEASE ! - TRACK FOLDERS / SEQUENCER UPDATES PLEASE ! - TRACK FOLDERS / SEQUENCER UPDATES PLEASE ! - TRACK FOLDERS / SEQUENCER UPDATES PLEASE ! - TRACK FOLDERS / SEQUENCER UPDATES PLEASE ! - TRACK FOLDERS / SEQUENCER UPDATES PLEASE ! - TRACK FOLDERS / SEQUENCER UPDATES PLEASE ! - TRACK FOLDERS / SEQUENCER UPDATES PLEASE ! - TRACK FOLDERS / SEQUENCER UPDATES PLEASE ! - TRACK FOLDERS / SEQUENCER UPDATES PLEASE ! - TRACK FOLDERS / SEQUENCER UPDATES PLEASE ! - TRACK FOLDERS / SEQUENCER UPDATES PLEASE ! - TRACK FOLDERS / SEQUENCER UPDATES PLEASE ! - TRACK FOLDERS / SEQUENCER UPDATES PLEASE ! - TRACK FOLDERS / SEQUENCER UPDATES PLEASE ! - TRACK FOLDERS / SEQUENCER UPDATES PLEASE ! - TRACK FOLDERS / SEQUENCER UPDATES PLEASE ! - TRACK FOLDERS / SEQUENCER UPDATES PLEASE ! - TRACK FOLDERS / SEQUENCER UPDATES PLEASE ! - TRACK FOLDERS / SEQUENCER UPDATES PLEASE ! - TRACK FOLDERS / SEQUENCER UPDATES PLEASE !
:-)

dhruan

19 May 2021

chaosroyale wrote:
19 May 2021
No, it f*cking doesn't.

"Z" only toggles the zoom between the selected section up to a length of about 650 bars, or the full sequencer window up to a length of about 650 bars. You simply cannot zoom out to see the whole project above a certain length. Seriously, try it. It is arbitrary and stupid, and makes Reason impossible to use for certain soundtrack projects, which I happen to work on.

There is no way to zoom out beyond 650-ish bars.

I'm not angry at you ;) I'm amazed that this basic shit doesn't work in a product 20 years old.
dhruan wrote:
19 May 2021

Ah, ok. Well, then you are not really talking about Zoom functionality not working (as it does) but rather, it not working the way one would expect after a song is over a certain bar length.

Hmmm... 650 bars (depending on your measure and BPM) can be kind of a lot. :D One bar in 4/4 @ 120BPM is two seconds so 650 would translate to 21 minutes and 40 seconds. I can totally dig that people can create and work on songs that are longer than that but yeah, it might pay to be specific about what you are actually talking about (especially if you are talking about feature requests).
soundcloud.com/armsgrade

Onkel Paul

19 May 2021

scotward57 wrote:
18 May 2021
I'm proud of Reason Studios for sticking to their guns and doubling down on their strengths. They are the best at hardware substitution and the new features in v12 will make the Reason Rack the absolute greatest tool for sound design.

It's sad there are so many Reason users who have no creativity or original thought about what they believe is missing in Reason's sequencer. Like sheep, they just rattle off one stupid idea after another about something they saw on YouTube about another DAW. I'd like to gather these cretins and drop them off on an island with an old Tascam 4 track cassette recorder and tell them to go figure it out.

And Reason Studios Inc., being the sweeties that they are, offered these folks the best of both worlds in v11. They announced to the whiners that they could not only hit the road and follow their DAW fantasies to their heart's content, but they could even take the Reason Rack with them. What an unbelievably generous gift!
Like many other users, instead of waiting for functionality I need to be implemented, I use the RRP and a DAW of choice. Is this “the best of both worlds?” No!
Why?
I, again like many others, use a control surface to limit use of a mouse. In my case, that is nectar Panorama. The tight integration with REASON is really useful. Having a knob where the device has one; and a slider where there is a slider on the screen is adding so much value.
Now, because I need the superior features of Studio one (e.g. I need notation and better MIDI support and have some VST3 instruments I want to use) I was happy that nectar Panorama has a similar excellent (give and take) implementation to support Studio one. But there is no integration with the RRP as we know it from REASON the DAW. To quote nectar support:” The Reason Rack plug-in doesn't have the Remote system for integrating with control surfaces, like the standalone version of Reason.” No pre-mapped devices anymore. And creating these all by myself is cumbersome (to say the least). Reason without the benefit of the control surface is only half the fun. In the long-run I see me using the PlugIn less and less. Maybe the new sampler will be worth an update, as you could use it stand-alone with Reason and use the results within the other DAW, but that depends on real value in terms of functionality (ReCycle?) and price point. But then again, if this is the only feature I will get that suits my needs (all the other things mentioned so far are of no value for me. Different tools for different tasks. I am not in beat making and sound design.) the update price might be prohibitive.
The RRP would become a “go to tool” and a favourite (it has its merits even for me) if there would be a remote system for integrating with nectar as part of the update. Without, it might fade from memory sooner than later.

Granted, the Rack is the real strenght (the mixer is okay and the sequencer weaknesses are hurting some more than the others). But the Rack as a PlugIn does not give you the best of both worlds, as it lacks the Remote protocol. So it is cripled seriously.

Jackjackdaw

19 May 2021

korvaxsound wrote:
18 May 2021
Indeed, some of the openness and transparency they have been patting themselves on the back for would be good here. If the subs get a few devices ahead of schedule , then whatever , who cares. But if bug fixes and improvements become exclusive to subs and major releases then being a license holder without a sub starts to suck.

Lotuz2019

19 May 2021

MattiasHG wrote:
19 May 2021
dusan.cani wrote:
19 May 2021

The installer won't install at all on Windows 7, Windows 10 will be required to use Reason 12.
Not the answer I was hoping for, but at least now I know where I stand. Thank you, Mattias.

dhruan

19 May 2021

The stuff that can be released sooner to the R+ subscribers are RE devices and such (add ons/plugins).

It does not include updates to Reason core functionality because that would require installing a point or a version update.

From software development and product management perspective forking the core program (Reason) into two separate branches (one for standalone and one for R+) would make no sense at all.

R+ is, after all, only a licensing scheme that affords subscribers access to specific content.
soundcloud.com/armsgrade

IamFredrik

19 May 2021

So no updates for the sequencer or keyboard shortcuts? Seems like Reason Studio has become a simple plugin?

electrofux

19 May 2021

There hasnt been a single Update where everyone went wow, perfect! There have been updates with bigger and smaller shitstorms. I myself have taken part in a few of them. My personal no1 request for years is some sort of clip launching facility. It is still not in there though most DAWs have it. I have to admit though that this update ticks off more of the most requested big points than other updates. Sampler, Hires, Combinator are three of the most wanted feature requests of which the new Combinator makes it probably worth it alone.

I doubt there will be alot of the also highly requested smaller workflow features (punch in/out and all remote stuff are my favourites). This area has allways been treated with a bit of lack compared to sometimes humongous patchnotes of other DAWS but who knows?

All in all this sounds much better than some of the last updates.

There is one thing related to the browser that would be awesome but i think they would have mentioned if it was in and that is remotablity of the browser. Like selecting devices, patches and samples, moving around in the folder structure and transmitting names to the midicontroller.

DJMaytag

19 May 2021

korvaxsound wrote:
18 May 2021
Tweak wrote:
18 May 2021
Access to point updates only for subscribers - early access to some Reason 12 features to subscribers only already suggests this is acceptable.
This would be a horrifically stupid move to intentionally NOT offer bug fixes as they come up & get squashed, while also NOT offering any minor feature improvements along the way that weren't ready for the major version update.

Jackjackdaw

19 May 2021

DJMaytag wrote:
19 May 2021
korvaxsound wrote:
18 May 2021
Tweak wrote:
18 May 2021
Access to point updates only for subscribers - early access to some Reason 12 features to subscribers only already suggests this is acceptable.
This would be a horrifically stupid move to intentionally NOT offer bug fixes as they come up & get squashed, while also NOT offering any minor feature improvements along the way that weren't ready for the major version update.
But they will offer it.

For 20 clams a month!

*This is pure speculation.

QVprod

19 May 2021

Jackjackdaw wrote:
19 May 2021
korvaxsound wrote:
18 May 2021
Indeed, some of the openness and transparency they have been patting themselves on the back for would be good here. If the subs get a few devices ahead of schedule , then whatever , who cares. But if bug fixes and improvements become exclusive to subs and major releases then being a license holder without a sub starts to suck.
I’d be very surprised if bug fixes weren’t provided across the board.

Jackjackdaw

19 May 2021

I was surprised the first time I saw it happen. When adobe were still selling cs6 alongside the sub to cc. I wouldn't be surprised now.

They have a shiny new lever , it's up to them how hard they pull it. Harder and harder over time would be my guess.

• Information