Reason 12 is coming!

This forum is for discussing Reason. Questions, answers, ideas, and opinions... all apply.
Lotuz2019

18 May 2021

MattiasHG wrote:
17 May 2021

Yes, we'll bump the system requirements to macOS 10.13 and above and Windows 10 and above. This was a long time coming and it really helps development when we don't have support older, quite technically different systems. :)
Mattias,

There are companies that say they don't support older Windows versions and this either means:

-the product can still be installed on older Windows versions, but it might not function properly and no support can be given

or

-the product won't install at all on older Windows versions.

Not everybody is keen on upgrading to Windows 10. Could you please tell which route RS is going?

Emian

18 May 2021

Creativemind wrote:
18 May 2021
guitfnky wrote:
18 May 2021
I've heard there will be a 25% increase in the number of CV ins in the new combi. the jump from 4 to 5 is statistically significant. 🤓
There's 8 CV ins.

2 in the Sequencer Control section, the 4 rotary's and 1 each for the Mod Wheels and Pitch Bend. If it is a 25% increase, that's 8 to 10 lol!
if you press the "show programmer" on the back of the combinator you'll find 4 more CV inputs ;)

"i might be established, but i'll never be establishement "
- Dave Clarke -www.soundcloud.com/emian

Emian

18 May 2021

MrFigg wrote:
18 May 2021
Emian wrote:
18 May 2021

Wow, thx for the tip. i was already on the fence, but the extra discount convinced me entirely, upgraded from Reason 10 :)

Can we see anywhere on our Reason account the Reason 12 upgrade is included or is it going to go automatically ??
It’ll go automatically.
allright, thx !!

"i might be established, but i'll never be establishement "
- Dave Clarke -www.soundcloud.com/emian

EnochLight

18 May 2021

sonicbyte wrote:
17 May 2021
Love the new features, really, no intentions to troll... but no word about improvements in the sequencer ?
Krell wrote:
17 May 2021
Only (possible) downer is it seems that the sequencer has now been 'parked'..
MattiasHG wrote:
17 May 2021
I wrote some words here, if you're a sucker for more details: https://www.reasonstudios.com/blog/announcing-reason-12 :)
Ottostrom wrote:
17 May 2021
A bit sad to see no mention of sequencer improvements
It's more than sad - it's a travesty. Was really hoping to have at least the usual tiny core-DAW/sequencer improvements for us old timers that still prefer to work inside of Reason - but there was zero mention of anything in what came out yesterday. These days, it feels like we're being forced to migrate to another DAW. :puf_unhappy: :thumbs_down: Hope I'm wrong and in the next several months, Mattias and the gang will include some core DAW stuff as well.
Win 10 | Ableton Live 11 Suite |  Reason 12 | i7 3770k @ 3.5 Ghz | 16 GB RAM | RME Babyface Pro | Akai MPC Live 2 & Akai Force | Roland System 8, MX1, TB3 | Dreadbox Typhon | Korg Minilogue XD

Catblack

18 May 2021

I bought 11. I'm in agreement with the other few in this thread who have that the feature set in 11 is rather tepid. I thought so before which is why I didn't upgrade. I mostly did so I could try out the VST. Obviously the value proposition that I'll get R12 is the deal maker here.

I really want better sequencer features.

I've also made a previous post about my fervent hope that they'll add a feature to expose remote mappings in the interface. With the new combinator coming, this to me is the make-or-break issue with Reason 12.
If you ain't hip to the rare Housequake, shut up already.

Damn.

guitfnky

18 May 2021

it’s starting to feel like there’s a clear strategy to their major releases now. ignore most of the quality of life stuff and focus on devices—but most importantly, come up with one or two big features they can showcase, that lots of people need (or with RRP, something they know they’ll want). then they count on those one or two big ticket items to keep people buying, even if they’re becoming increasingly frustrated by the lack of core improvements.

like others, I’m still hopeful they’ll add something worthwhile in terms of quality of life stuff, because it’s not a full announcement yet, but my faith is dwindling fast.
I write music for good people

https://slowrobot.bandcamp.com/

Creativemind

18 May 2021

strange_scenery wrote:
18 May 2021
EdGrip wrote:
18 May 2021
It goes without saying, I think, that Reason is always backwards compatible - you can always open your old projects and your old patches. There's not going to be a new combinator that breaks all your old combinators if you upgrade.
I think the worry is not that upgrading will break anything, but that if you are a refill or patch designer and you create a patch in Reason 12 with a combinator, people using Reason 11 or below won't be able to open it.
That's a point. Hmmm. Incentive to upgrade?
:reason:

Reason Studio's 11.3 / Cockos Reaper 6.82 / Cakewalk By Bandlab / Orion 8.6
http://soundcloud.com/creativemind75/iv ... soul-mix-3

Creativemind

18 May 2021

Stamatz wrote:
18 May 2021
Will R12 includes such instruments as Friktion and Alogrithm?
It should. Thought that ages ago. They don't really update the daw with advanced features and half the synths they make are not stock either.

guitfnky

18 May 2021

Creativemind wrote:
18 May 2021
strange_scenery wrote:
18 May 2021

I think the worry is not that upgrading will break anything, but that if you are a refill or patch designer and you create a patch in Reason 12 with a combinator, people using Reason 11 or below won't be able to open it.
That's a point. Hmmm. Incentive to upgrade?
or disincentive for sound designers to keep making Refills. outside of sound packs, which only a minority of Reason users have access to (I think), Refills have already fallen pretty far out of favor. putting in all that work, but having it limited to a smaller subset of users than normal is unfortunate.

the bright side is, it’s (hopefully) the last time they’ll need to do it and in the years to come, fewer and fewer users will be locked out of that content.

guitfnky

18 May 2021

Creativemind wrote:
18 May 2021
Stamatz wrote:
18 May 2021
Will R12 includes such instruments as Friktion and Alogrithm?
It should. Thought that ages ago. They don't really update the daw with advanced features and half the synths they make are not stock either.
why would they do that? that’s what Reason+ is for—pretty much the whole point of it.

Creativemind

18 May 2021

guitfnky wrote:
18 May 2021
Creativemind wrote:
18 May 2021

why would they do that? that’s what Reason+ is for—pretty much the whole point of it.
Because they seem to spend all their time making new devices and not updating the daw as I said. Milking it springs to mind.

joeyluck

18 May 2021

I too would like to see sequencer updates and most of all, MPE support. But the updated Combinator, if it delivers, could be huge for Reason. Reason has always been very focused on the rack, and the Combinator has been a big focus and special tool of the rack, but definitely a little tedious to work with and lacking features. A more powerful, more capable, easier and more fun to program Combinator could be a big deal and a big step forward. It's not a new synth or new effect, it's something that could enhance anything in the rack.

Billy+

18 May 2021

guitfnky wrote:
18 May 2021
it’s starting to feel like there’s a clear strategy to their major releases now. ignore most of the quality of life stuff and focus on devices—but most importantly, come up with one or two big features they can showcase, that lots of people need (or with RRP, something they know they’ll want). then they count on those one or two big ticket items to keep people buying, even if they’re becoming increasingly frustrated by the lack of core improvements.

like others, I’m still hopeful they’ll add something worthwhile in terms of quality of life stuff, because it’s not a full announcement yet, but my faith is dwindling fast.
I thInk the fact that we've had an announcement that talks about features before release is definitely a good thing and much more than we normally get but I wouldn't call them big ticket in fact I have no real interest in anything that's been announced and the hype we've endured over hires is getting beyond a joke, I definitely didn't see it as a feature more a requirement for improving technology just like a native build for M1 isn't an improvement is essential for continued mac sales....

I will definitely be looking forward to seeing what happens on release of 12 but I'm definitely not pre ordering based on the current disclosures and will probably not even consider adopting until much later than I normally would especially now their are talking about subs getting features before purchase license holders.

I'm assuming that is possible the new sampler device but there's no way to tell until it happens maybe the point release being sub only is going to be an actual thing, it's really difficult to read between the lines at the moment so I'm staying away until I see something that I want which isn't more devices its better standalone DAW features vst midi vst3 improved dsp performance etc.....

Still I can't wait for release day to come around I bet the forum will be on fire again lol

Anyway I'm off to buy Algorithm now I know I'm not buying the upgrade for a good few months possibly not at all.....

guitfnky

18 May 2021

Creativemind wrote:
18 May 2021
guitfnky wrote:
18 May 2021

Because they seem to spend all their time making new devices and not updating the daw as I said. Milking it springs to mind.
how would giving devices to non-subscribers be milking it?

guitfnky

18 May 2021

Billy+ wrote:
18 May 2021
guitfnky wrote:
18 May 2021

I thInk the fact that we've had an announcement that talks about features before release is definitely a good thing and much more than we normally get but I wouldn't call them big ticket in fact I have no real interest in anything that's been announced and the hype we've endured over hires is getting beyond a joke, I definitely didn't see it as a feature more a requirement for improving technology just like a native build for M1 isn't an improvement is essential for continued mac sales....

I will definitely be looking forward to seeing what happens on release of 12 but I'm definitely not pre ordering based on the current disclosures and will probably not even consider adopting until much later than I normally would especially now their are talking about subs getting features before purchase license holders.

I'm assuming that is possible the new sampler device but there's no way to tell until it happens maybe the point release being sub only is going to be an actual thing, it's really difficult to read between the lines at the moment so I'm staying away until I see something that I want which isn't more devices its better standalone DAW features vst midi vst3 improved dsp performance etc.....

Still I can't wait for release day to come around I bet the forum will be on fire again lol

Anyway I'm off to buy Algorithm now I know I'm not buying the upgrade for a good few months possibly not at all.....
yeah, I think the communication has definitely been way better, and I hope that means we won’t have another 100-pager after the official announcement. 😆

I’m with you that hi res is merely a “keeping with the times” update, but for lots of people who want to keep using Reason, it’s a must-have, for them to stay on board—that’s what I mean by big ticket. it’s probably a cynical view, but that’s what RS have reduced me to, over the last few years.

EnochLight

18 May 2021

joeyluck wrote:
18 May 2021
I too would like to see sequencer updates and most of all, MPE support.
I have to admit, MPE support didn't interest me one bit... until LUMI keys came out. I am absolutely dying to get a set of those, but won't waste my money if I can't have MPE support in Reason. Here's to hoping, but judging from what we've seen in 10, 11, and now 12 - we don't have a snowball's chance in hell of every seeing MPE.
joeyluck wrote:
18 May 2021
But the updated Combinator, if it delivers, could be huge for Reason. Reason has always been very focused on the rack, and the Combinator has been a big focus and special tool of the rack, but definitely a little tedious to work with and lacking features. A more powerful, more capable, easier and more fun to program Combinator could be a big deal and a big step forward. It's not a new synth or new effect, it's something that could enhance anything in the rack.
Yeah, admittedly this does have me a bit excited. Didn't expect the being able to load your own graphics part (which I really hope is more than just the crappy skin feature we have in the current Combi). It's going to need to be fancy to handle all of the customization options they allegedly have planned, anyway.
Win 10 | Ableton Live 11 Suite |  Reason 12 | i7 3770k @ 3.5 Ghz | 16 GB RAM | RME Babyface Pro | Akai MPC Live 2 & Akai Force | Roland System 8, MX1, TB3 | Dreadbox Typhon | Korg Minilogue XD

Billy+

18 May 2021

guitfnky wrote:
18 May 2021
it’s probably a cynical view, but that’s what RS have reduced me to, over the last few years.
You and me both :thumbs_up: and I could be wrong but I'm definitely seeing more negatives from an ever increasing number of people who once saw Reason as their first and only chosen DAW I guess we should at least be thankful that we can use RRP even though it feels like a second choice rather than a personal preference.

Philup

18 May 2021

guitfnky wrote:
18 May 2021
Creativemind wrote:
18 May 2021

how would giving devices to non-subscribers be milking it?
The implication is that, instead of a proper upgrade including several work flow and quality of life improvements, they are just taking a few Re's that have been out for a while and bundling them with a few half implemented improvements and changing the number after the title. Thus milking the product, in this case, a slightly older rack extension, passed its perceived value.

Some update cycles I agree with this sentiment, others I would disagree. I don't have an opinion on the current cycle yet, but I'm looking forward to using the new combinator one day. I'll wait to see what else, if anything, gets added to sweeten the deal.

If I don't like anything else, oh well. waiting is free... For non subscribers.

RoryM0

18 May 2021

EnochLight wrote:
18 May 2021
I have to admit, MPE support didn't interest me one bit... until LUMI keys came out. I am absolutely dying to get a set of those, but won't waste my money if I can't have MPE support in Reason. Here's to hoping, but judging from what we've seen in 10, 11, and now 12 - we don't have a snowball's chance in hell of every seeing MPE.
If we're feeling that the focus is almost completely on the rack for the time being, and if the Reason rack is all about instruments and expression... Then I really hope RS are at least eyeing MPE implementation for the future. Could be transformative. But yeah, I won't be holding my breath or anything.

EnochLight

18 May 2021

RoryM0 wrote:
18 May 2021
If we're feeling that the focus is almost completely on the rack for the time being, and if the Reason rack is all about instruments and expression... Then I really hope RS are at least eyeing MPE implementation for the future. Could be transformative. But yeah, I won't be holding my breath or anything.
That's a great point. If the rack truly is the focus (as in other DAW), not supporting MPE is a major missing opportunity. So maybe there is a chance? But yeah - not holding my breath either.

EdGrip

18 May 2021

If they made RRP a VST host, with a new combinator it would be UNSTOPPABLE!

chaosroyale

18 May 2021

strong disagree. if you want to make content for old versions of reason, use old versions of reason. cluttered dropdowns cost me time (= money).

the obsession with keeping everything stuck in 2000, and adding more and more devices instead of updating anything, is one of the worst things about the reason environment. its why the UI update has taken so long. you can't have new updates AND keep everything the same. choose one or the other.

if Reason owned netflix they would still be releasing movies on video tape.
plaamook wrote:
18 May 2021
strange_scenery wrote:
18 May 2021

Yeah. Combi2.0 should have been parallel not replacement.
Only loss is a more cluttered drop down.
Last edited by chaosroyale on 18 May 2021, edited 1 time in total.

raymondh

18 May 2021

EnochLight wrote:
18 May 2021
sonicbyte wrote:
17 May 2021
Love the new features, really, no intentions to troll... but no word about improvements in the sequencer ?
Krell wrote:
17 May 2021
Only (possible) downer is it seems that the sequencer has now been 'parked'..
MattiasHG wrote:
17 May 2021
I wrote some words here, if you're a sucker for more details: https://www.reasonstudios.com/blog/announcing-reason-12 :)
Ottostrom wrote:
17 May 2021
A bit sad to see no mention of sequencer improvements
It's more than sad - it's a travesty. Was really hoping to have at least the usual tiny core-DAW/sequencer improvements for us old timers that still prefer to work inside of Reason - but there was zero mention of anything in what came out yesterday. These days, it feels like we're being forced to migrate to another DAW. :puf_unhappy: :thumbs_down: Hope I'm wrong and in the next several months, Mattias and the gang will include some core DAW stuff as well.
That's how I felt about Reason 11. Very disgruntled and started using Reaper in protest. Then upgraded Reason anyway and found it actually worked very nicely as RRP.

The biggest things for me now are Reason more DSP intensive (can get twice as many tracks with Reaper, even when they're RRP running VK2!) and Reason lack of VST3 support.
And maybe track folders.

chaosroyale

18 May 2021

Without any details beyond the headline, I think a lot of people are over-reacting to very limited information.

At least they are finally implementing a new combinator. about 5 or 10 years too late, but hella welcome.

There may be other small quality of life/workflow updates not mentioned in the press release, until there is more detail, not really worth speculating about.

Honestly, I would be happy with a couple of really small things, like if the sequencer was able to zoom out to the whole track, because of course it should

Aquila

18 May 2021

EnochLight wrote:
18 May 2021
It's more than sad - it's a travesty.
I really, REALLY don't want to be a moaner (only to be moaned about by the anti-moaner moaners, but hey that's life). While I am considerably happy that at least the Combinator is finally getting an upgrade after we asked them 8 or 9 major updates ago, I am quite bewildered why they felt the need to include a new sampler. Before vst support that would've made sense but since we can now run whatever vst2 plugin we want that ship has long sailed.

Sadly, I seriously doubt there's any more significant features to be announced. Had there been any more notable changes Mattias would've blogged about them already. All the features we really wanted such as vst3 support, collapsible sequencer lane groups, mixer colour schemes, improved sequencer workflows, annoyance fixes, etc.

I would really love to attend one of their AGM meetings. Maybe it would give me some insight to understand their strategies and choose to spend time developing a sampler rather than address more important feature requests.

• Information