Will Reason+ song files no longer be compatible with Reason?

This forum is for discussing Reason. Questions, answers, ideas, and opinions... all apply.
fieldframe
RE Developer

17 May 2021

With the announcement that the new features in Reason 12 will be rolling out to Reason+ over the months leading up to Reason 12's release, the implication is that Reason+ will be on the 12.x codebase during this period. This will presumably nix collaboration between Reason+ subscribers and Reason 11 users until the latter can upgrade in September.

After Reason 12 comes out, though, should we expect Reason+ to continue to roll out new features ahead of the standard version of Reason, or will the two sync up?

joeyluck

17 May 2021

In terms of features and devices that come after the release of R12, we've already seen updates come at the same time for R11 and R+ users as well as access at the same time to Algoritm. So I would presume it will be the same story.

This appears to just be the ramping up into a major release that is different. They aren't purposefully holding features from perpetual license users, they are simply instead giving access to R+ users as the individual features/devices are ready. They are then releasing R12 formally when all of these features can be launched together.

I'm not sure how versions will be handled. It could also be that the sampler is a RE that doesn't appear in the shop...so that one if it's a RE wouldn't present issues. The new Combinator, browser update, and graphics would be built-in. Not sure what features R+ users will get their hands on before R12 though or if they will be running any version of R12 before the major release. I would also guess that the idea with the launch date means at least one or more of these features won't be ready until then, even for R+ users...

PhillipOrdonez

17 May 2021

I think it is okay that it is like this and I would expect to see this happen again and again. If you Collab with somebody on +, then bounce to audio will be your friend, or joining + until the project is completed.

It is what it is, and the reason I hope it remains like this is that we will be able to see in advance what upcoming versions will bring and I think that's a good thing, plus it keeps the + users happy with new toys, I guess? I think they should ramp up the toy factory in order to justify the price subscribers pay.

• Information