May Madness 2021?

This forum is for discussing Reason. Questions, answers, ideas, and opinions... all apply.
Bes
Competition Winner

16 May 2021

R+ sub for the year is 30% off too btw
- Certified Reason expert

zoidkirb

16 May 2021

Wow discounted upgrade to R12 from older versions. Didn't see that coming but it's welcome.
I guess they saw Ableton shipping lots of updates with their pre release sale.
I wonder if we will get automatic access to the 12 beta when it's available.

challism

16 May 2021

Bes wrote:
16 May 2021
i've got a feeling now that R12 is going to be DAW updates only and any extra devices they are working on will be purchasable separately (or included in R+ of course)

i'm expecting an announcement today but we'll just have to wait
Ryan already pretty much told us that they are working on development of Combinator 2. You think that the Combinator will be only available as an RE? I think that would be really weird not to offer it as a stock device.
zoidkirb wrote:
16 May 2021
Wow discounted upgrade to R12 from older versions. Didn't see that coming but it's welcome.
Yeah, that's awesome a R12 upgrade discount. First time they've offered such a thing. Kind of a strange thing, though, since there hasn't been an official announcement of what R12 is going to ship with (new features/devices). So definitely a "good faith" purchase there.

12 beta is already live... no need to wait. Did you sign up for it?
Players are to MIDI what synthesizers are to waveforms.

ReasonTalk Rules and Guidelines

zoidkirb

16 May 2021

challism wrote:
16 May 2021
Bes wrote:
16 May 2021
i've got a feeling now that R12 is going to be DAW updates only and any extra devices they are working on will be purchasable separately (or included in R+ of course)

Ryan already pretty much told us that they are working on development of Combinator 2. You think that the Combinator will be only available as an RE? I think that would be really weird not to offer it as a stock device.
zoidkirb wrote:
16 May 2021
Yeah, that's awesome a R12 upgrade discount. First time they've offered such a thing. Kind of a strange thing, though, since there hasn't been an official announcement of what R12 is going to ship with (new features/devices). So definitely a "good faith" purchase there.

I didn't sign up as you had to be on 11 they said. But afaik it's only the HD beta anyway. I might be wrong.
I guess now they realised early sale will pull in all those fence sitters that never jumped on 11 because the sale price came so late in that cycle.
I was one of them but this time I'll definitely jump.

challism

16 May 2021

zoidkirb wrote:
16 May 2021
challism wrote:
16 May 2021

I didn't sign up as you had to be on 11 they said. But afaik it's only the HD beta anyway. I might be wrong.
I guess now they realised early sale will pull in all those fence sitters that never jumped on 11 because the sale price came so late in that cycle.
Oh yeah, gotcha. I forgot about the R11 requirement. But you have R11 now, right? Just upgraded via the sale? You might still be able to get on the beta team... this is just a guess, but it could very well morph into testing more than just he hi res graphics.

By the way... without a doubt, this has got to be the best MM sale price in the shop.
19.JPG
19.JPG (61.03 KiB) Viewed 3407 times

Michaellos

16 May 2021

Bes wrote:
16 May 2021

I'm sure there will be no R12 announcement until the sale is over and many of us will by it. So - yes, we are supposed to buy this without knowing what it is about. Some kind of a trick :puf_smile:

zoidkirb

16 May 2021

challism wrote:
16 May 2021
zoidkirb wrote:
16 May 2021

Oh yeah, gotcha. I forgot about the R11 requirement. But you have R11 now, right? Just upgraded via the sale? You might still be able to get on the beta team... this is just a guess, but it could very well morph into testing more than just he hi res graphics.

By the way... without a doubt, this has got to be the best MM sale price in the shop.
sale19.JPG
Pretty sure I'll upgrade tonight and then see about the beta.

And 0% percent off, madness!
Noteset actually does seem somewhat useful at least.

Michaellos

16 May 2021

Synapse Audio Antidote is just for 35 $ - if someone still doesn't have it, it's a best deal

bieh

16 May 2021

As someone who's done a lot of buying and experimenting for his level of productivity :-), I'd like to offer my highly subjective thoughts on the best picks available in the May Madness sale so far. But note that as I write, some developers who usually join the sale don't appear to have done so yet.

1. Antidote. $35. Crazy price. Makes me sad for developers of older REs as they get sidelined by the sheer number of newer items, VSTs, and links to the shop that only appear at the bottom of the Reason home page. But for sound quality, preset quality and usability, this synth still competes with some of the best. Absolute steal.

2. DYN-4. $9. The simple-looking interface undersells the features. Ridiculous value in a compressor/expander. Only a few years back there were only 2 or 3 expanders for Reason and the only options were multiples of the price (up to $149). Yet for $9 here you get to configure multiple combinations of compressors and expanders.

3. Sequences. $29. Better and cheaper than Polystep. Polystep has some features this one doesn't, but the reverse is also true, and Polystep also has some really surprising incapabilities. My thoughts are Sequences is the best way in Reason to do strange timing. Need 7 evenly spaced notes in the time of 3? You can calculate that in the Reason main sequencer, but it's easier and more fun to do it here.

4. Propulsion Drum Sequencer. $9. Too much value for the price.

5. Korde Sequencer. $9. As with Propulsion, too much value.

6. Ammo 100LA and 400R. $9 each. The larger Ammo devices may have seemed uncomfortably technical to some (me included), and it seems market price has suffered as a result. But at the sale price you have your value if all you ever do is connect a CV out to these waveforms. Lectric Panda devices offer more waveforms, but the smaller number in Jiggery Pokery's may make it easier to find the ones you want.

7. Chordbank. $25. Not as pretty as Chordline, but has the unique record feature that allows you to store any combination of simultaneous notes you play in the keys provided. Good discount.

8. Red Queen. $19. Not especially fun to learn or configure but unique and highly capable for the discounted price.

9. The Mace. $19. If you have too many compressors and only buy new ones if they have features your existing ones don't, check out this one's stereo and mid-side features and its wide range of attack times.

10. Steerpike. $15. Even if you never touch a knob, you've got your value in presets alone.

11. Nostromo. $29. Detailed, interesting and capable synth for the sale price.

12. Chenille. $19. Competition from Reason's recent chorus device appears to have put Chenille under pricing pressure, but I think it's still the best.

13. Proton. $19. Perhaps somewhat sidelined by newer granular synths, but still has worthwhile points of difference and extremely affordable regardless.

Bes
Competition Winner

16 May 2021

challism wrote:
16 May 2021
You think that the Combinator will be only available as an RE? I think that would be really weird not to offer it as a stock device.
i had forgotten about this thanks for the reminder :) i was just referring to synths and effects tho, the combinator is def part of the core product in my mind
- Certified Reason expert

bidaar

17 May 2021

challism wrote:
16 May 2021
zoidkirb wrote:
16 May 2021

19.JPG
lmaooo such a Sale right ?! :))
but yo theres something weird here in my pricings ! its in euro currency but what is weird is Chordset is 19 Dollars for you , it should be like 15 euros ( because 19 $ = 15 euro ) but not only its not that , and not even 19 euro , its 21 euros :shock: :o :lol:
Reason 11 Suite l FL Studio l Leaning Ableton n Bitwig l Windows 10 64bit
Trying and Learning to be a : Hip-Hop / Trap , Electronic & Experimental Producer l Mixing Engineer

bidaar

17 May 2021

mad@madwurmz.com wrote:
16 May 2021
Reason 11 Upgrade May Madness - Save 30% - Upgrade to Reason 12 included

https://www.reasonstudios.com/shop/prod ... 1-upgrade/

this is great, I want to spend money now , yet a bit confusing because I was just calculating and want to buy the Suite that's still on sale here viewtopic.php?f=4&t=7523068
for me it says not available for this account . I think because I already bought 11 Suite but idk whats that got to with 12 maybe they have something in mind for Suite owners
Trying and Learning to be a : Hip-Hop / Trap , Electronic & Experimental Producer l Mixing Engineer

Loque

17 May 2021

bidaar wrote:
17 May 2021
challism wrote:
16 May 2021

19.JPG
but yo theres something weird here in my pricings ! its in euro currency but what is weird is Chordset is 19 Dollars for you , it should be like 15 euros ( because 19 $ = 15 euro ) but not only its not that , and not even 19 euro , its 21 euros :shock: :o :lol:
Taxes.
Reason12, Win10

madmacman

17 May 2021

bidaar wrote:
17 May 2021
for me it says not available for this account . I think because I already bought 11 Suite but idk whats that got to with 12 maybe they have something in mind for Suite owners
Nope, same for regular R11. Looks like this path is not considered to „buy ahead“ for R11 owners.

dhruan

17 May 2021

Hell yeah... just bought the upgrade to 11 (and 12 via that). That is basically what I was hoping for, will be interesting to hear when R12 will be out though. Kind of curious how they went about that but yeah... can't complain about the price.

Also, was surprised to see Ekssperimental Sounds Industrializer on sale too, being a recent device. Got that one also. 🤗
soundcloud.com/armsgrade

bidaar

17 May 2021

madmacman wrote:
17 May 2021
bidaar wrote:
17 May 2021
Nope, same for regular R11. Looks like this path is not considered to „buy ahead“ for R11 owners.
yeah its probably for everyone below 11 or somerhing like that .

bidaar

17 May 2021

Loque wrote:
17 May 2021
bidaar wrote:
17 May 2021

but yo theres something weird here in my pricings ! its in euro currency but what is weird is Chordset is 19 Dollars for you , it should be like 15 euros ( because 19 $ = 15 euro ) but not only that , its not even 19 euro , its 21 euros :shock: :o :lol:
Taxes.
someone please delete this post cause I cant .
Last edited by bidaar on 17 May 2021, edited 4 times in total.

bidaar

17 May 2021

there are so many REs on sale right now that I would realy really like to have but Unfortunetley my pocket cant undrestand my love toward REs lol
I mostly try to collect Utilities and Players because I have enough Synths and Effects wether RE or Vst/Plugin and I have lots of the ones that are on sale rn .

please feel free to chime in and help me in decisions :D ( or anything outside of my own list cause it could be a gem I missed )

heres my wishlist :
2021 May Madness Wishlist :
Delta ( Ps : just bought this one rn . Its crazy how I didnt get how powerful is this in last MM :D )
Inspiral
Pattern Mutator
Evolution
Selig Gain
Euclidean ( But I have Euclid )
ammos REs ( But I have kron and some other CV tools )
Korde & Propulsion ( but I have Kompulsion ? )

about REs below I have enough Synths and Effects but was just checking these too :

Resonans
Algoritm
Antidote
Steerpike
BBD Delay
Dyn4
Hands Clap bundle
Republik handheld
last year I saw Expanse at 50 I think I made a big mistake to let it slide :))

I also wanted a few of Ekssperimental, Forgotten,Selig , kuassa ,Turn2on and a lot more but money is limited rn .

lzap

17 May 2021

May Madness - Save 30% - Upgrade to Reason 12 included!!!! Kudos!

bieh

17 May 2021

bidaar wrote:
17 May 2021
please feel free to chime in and help me in decisions :D ( or anything outside of my own list cause it could be a gem I missed )
I see the Selig devices have joined the sale since I made the list in my earlier post. I reckon get Selig Gain. Just a really practical device you always end up using. Also Algoritm. Not one of the biggest discounts in the sale but I feel it is one of the best synths ever in Reason. Also Antidote - ridiculous value. And other than that, I'd recommend the other devices in my earlier post.

If you're wondering whether Korde and Propulsion are worth it if you've already got Kompulsion, I'd say potentially yes. I seem to remember Kompulsion was introduced as kind of the best Player-device blend of Korde and Propulsion, but the way Korde works is actually significantly different from anything in Kompulsion. And of course you get different ways of connecting to things with Player and non-Player devices.

rorystorm

17 May 2021

This year I saved up some and bought a bunch of stuff. Nothing that I'd been lusting for, but a couple of excellent finds I'm really pleased about, some GAS stuff and some well what the hell I haven't hit my budget limit yet items. I spent tonight fiddling around with them so here's my first thoughts.

Turn2On's Holyreverb which is my big find. It's excellent. Kind of similar to Blue Depth but a little less fiddly. No marine mammals though. Basically it pitchshifts the initial signal, then puts it through a reverb and a delay and a filter, and you can change the signal flow around. Seem to get pretty spooky sounds out of it which is kind of my thing. I think Turn2On is actually kind of under rated, his stuff is pretty great, particularly the updated GUIs.

Another Turn2On device, the TSM 2040z Sub LowPass Filter. I'm a big fan of his Varipass gated filter, but this one's a bit more ordinary. Need to have more of a play to get the most out of it but it looks interesting, nice to have a brickwall filter. Also I love that it has a 'bit crasher'.

Red Rock's PolyIvoks filter. Another thing I'm a big fan of is the Ivoks synth which is also quite under rated. Pretty sweet, has a good tone a bit like a lofi PMS-20 and the modulation is interesting, quite strange. Anything labelled 'Soviet era' has my attention.

More Turn2On - the Ecruos Multi-Tap Delay. Straight forward to use which truth be told you don't say with everything Turn2On has made, and sounds really nice. I really like the LFO section. I'll use this a lot.

Jiggery Pokery's Champagne SuperNova Vintage Synthesizer. Man this is amazing, I don't know why I haven't bought it before. It's an emulation of a tube synthesizer from THE NINETEEN THIRTIES. Has a beautiful tone and I love how it adds a bit of tape noise to the sound. The interface is hilarious and so is the manual. (Actually, sidebar, even if you aren't into Jiggery Pokery's vintage synth emulations, the manuals are great). Comes with a neat little pedal rack to play with as well. It's a perfect ten.

Red Rock's Digital Hall Reverb with Orchestral Card. It's alright, seems to work well enough as a send, feels a little bit like every other digital reverb. A little under-developed maybe. But I don't hate it.

Ekksperimental Sounds' Ekksbox Siren Mk 3. TBH I don't feel like I've had enough of a play with this yet to say what I think about it. Sounds more chiptune than anything else to me so far? I can't say exactly when I'd use it but I will at some point.

Love One's Neutron, a granular effect. Basically this is a yeah nah*. Don't like it, doesn't appear to have a manual, not sure why I bought it, particularly as I already have Fritz. All the sounds I got out of it were pretty unattractive. But maybe I need to give it some more time?

(* Hi to anyone else from New Zealand.)

I went a bit crazy on the Red Rocks page. I also got the RE 60 Real Time Spectrum Analyzer and the RE 180 Dynamic Driver to go with the RE 302 Graphic Equaliser. Haven't done anything with these yet but I remember watching a video about how to use them together and I'm quite looking forward to playing with that.

And I got the Red Rocks Palette as well. It's a colouring effect - seems, uh, subtle? Maybe need to put it across an entire track feeding into the Master section.

Selig's NoteView cos it was free and you know, gotta catch em all. Did some neat stuff by putting an LFO into the CV transpose and running it through Scales & Chords as a quantizer. With a bit of work and playing with some of those Tonic Mint tools and a randomiser I think you could get some sort of Turing Machine action going. Again not something I'll always use but happy to own.

Finally I got Jiggery Pokery's Republik because it's supercheap and it's one I have been eyeing for a while. I don't know how often I'll use it but it's hilarious, so, that. But also very cleverly designed and sounds pretty good.

lowtom

17 May 2021

Grabbed PSQ-1684 for EUR 17. I'm full.
:reason: :refill: :re:

Soxious808

18 May 2021

Got an email from reason saying ‘30% off everything. Yes everything’ but they don’t have any discount on the rigs........do they add more products to the sale till the end of May? If not that’s just a blatant lie.......

challism

18 May 2021

I already have way too many REs... so why not add five more to the mess?
5.JPG
5.JPG (42.12 KiB) Viewed 2975 times
Inrange and Velocity Curve - I've got Delta and it's capable of doing what these two devices do, but sometimes it's just easier to reach for a tool that is specifically designed for the job; fewer knobs to tweak, less configuration needed, ready to do the job immediately after being dropped into the rack, and they take up a smaller footprint.
https://www.reasonstudios.com/shop/rack ... n/inrange/
https://www.reasonstudios.com/shop/rack ... ity-curve/

Negate - I've got Enlightenspeed's Melodramatic, MelodicInverter, and Inspiral, all of which are very useful for spitting out variations, but according to Brian of Enlightenspeed, they don't duplicate what Negate does... so for $9, why not catch them all?
https://www.reasonstudios.com/shop/rack ... on/negate/

Drop N Lift - $15 is such a great deal for this. I trialed it for about 1 minute and knew I was going to buy it. What I particularly love is that wet/dry knob. It's amazing to drop and lift the pitch while still keeping the dry signal steady. I know I'm going to enjoy this RE for years of creativity to come.
https://www.reasonstudios.com/shop/rack ... nspose-fx/

Industrializer - Just WOW! I knew within 1 minute into my trial that I was going to buy this. I love it! I really wanted to wait for a Ekss FX bundle, but that could be quite a while coming, still (according to Erik), so I figured I would grab this wonder FX device and enjoy it while it's on sale.
https://www.reasonstudios.com/shop/rack ... trializer/

My over-bloated rack just got a bit fatter, but I'm very happy with my new tools/toys.

• Information