Sampling MPC way

This forum is for discussing Reason. Questions, answers, ideas, and opinions... all apply.
KPere

05 May 2021

What I want is to have a record playing and chop samples live. I'm not into mouse clicking or visually chopping the audio. Is there any way to accomplish it in Reason? Any VSTs, maybe external software to do that?

ortxedys

05 May 2021

Serato sample. It's the only plugin with "lazy chop". Your other option is downloading the free MPC Beats software from the akai site. I'm pretty certain it includes lazy chop and you can you use it as a plugin. Lazy chop is something that should be more common but isn't.

Lempface

05 May 2021

Native Instruments Maschine software + Controller will let you chop samples in a tactile manner if you don't want to get an MPC, and it works well in Reason.
Reason 11 Suite | Bitwig Studio 3 | Native Instruments Komplete 13 Ultimate Collector's | Komplete Kontrol M32 | Maschine Mikro MK2 | Maschine Jam

KPere

06 May 2021

ortxedys wrote:
05 May 2021
Serato sample. It's the only plugin with "lazy chop". Your other option is downloading the free MPC Beats software from the akai site. I'm pretty certain it includes lazy chop and you can you use it as a plugin. Lazy chop is something that should be more common but isn't.
Thanks a lot! Will have a look ;) Serato seems great, 50$ is affortable - gotta check MPC Beats if it does what I need.
Lempface wrote:
05 May 2021
Native Instruments Maschine software + Controller will let you chop samples in a tactile manner if you don't want to get an MPC, and it works well in Reason.
I have nothing against MPC. It's the price that keeps me away :D matter of fact I reminded myself of that sampling technique watching Maschine, but its killing with the price as well, although I'd love to put my hands on it

jaeproduced

06 May 2021

ortxedys wrote:
05 May 2021
I concur on Serato Sample which is way better then any version of Recycle the only strike against it is it doesn't have a snap feature hopefully that will be in the next update...

KPere

06 May 2021

Seems like MPC Beats is doing the job. Wonder how it cooperates as a plug with Reason. Can't wait to test it. Thanks again! ;)

Serato will be my next purchase anyways I guess :D

DaveyG

06 May 2021

It's a while since I tried it but I found that Serato Sample will not loop samples. You have to do that in the DAW. I was hoping to be able to automatically loop a segment at a zero-crossing point but it did not support that. It's a really odd omission because their DJ software can do it.

rorystorm

06 May 2021

True story, the guy who invented serato's algorithm moved into my first flat just after I moved out. I was actually in the room when he thought up the idea of using it for dj software. No idea history was being made right there..... he is a very, very rich man now.

EdGrip

06 May 2021

I've not tried it in Reason, but in Reaper (which I use for sampling from YouTube etc because it's quicker to load and simpler than Reason), I do something similar - I record the whole bit in (and get an idea of the cuts I'll make), and then I play it back and press S (actually mapped to a mouse button) to split the clip while it plays. Then I give all the resulting items names, select them all, and batch export them using $item to save them all by name. Not sure if you can razor while playing in Reason.

KPere

06 May 2021

EdGrip wrote:
06 May 2021
I've not tried it in Reason, but in Reaper (which I use for sampling from YouTube etc because it's quicker to load and simpler than Reason), I do something similar - I record the whole bit in (and get an idea of the cuts I'll make), and then I play it back and press S (actually mapped to a mouse button) to split the clip while it plays. Then I give all the resulting items names, select them all, and batch export them using $item to save them all by name. Not sure if you can razor while playing in Reason.
Oh Jezus, thats actually a great idea - never thought of that. Should work in Pro tools! Not sure about Reason as well, will check - thanks man!

demt

06 May 2021

I suppose tx16wx is overkill for what you want,but I chucked it in anyway as its free!
Reason 12 ,gear4 music sdp3 stage piano .nektar gxp 88,behringer umc1800 .line6 spider4 30
hear scince reason 2.5

drloop

07 May 2021

NN-XT? You can set sample start and end plus setting loop points, exactly as an old school sampler/MPC.

rorystorm

08 May 2021

You can do this with the Chunk Trig setting in the Nurse Rex mode of Kong. It's in the manual. Basically

1 load your sample into the sequencer as an audio file
2 open it in slice mode and delete all the slice markers
3 draw in the slices where you want the samples to start
4 bounce to Rex
5 load the Rex file from the Song Samples folder in the Brower into the first pad of your Kong.
6 Assign each pad in the Kong to pad 1.
7 Make the hit type for each pad Chunk Trig.

Essentially this will divide your loop into sixteen hits distributed across the loop according to the slice start points. If there's more than sixteen slices some of the hits will play multiple slices but you can move the start positions around to control which slices each hit contains. You do this by clicking in the little tabs above the loop that say Pad 1, Pad 2 etc.

Caveat, it's a bit fiddly. I set up a preset for myself so I wouldn't have to set the Kong up from scratch every time although I've actually used it only a coupla times.

There's a Kickback Couture tutorial about it here. In it she just splits her loop evenly into half bars.

to be honest I'm not sure why you'd do this when you can just load the Rex file into Dr Octo with as many slices as you want and then draw their corresponding notes in the sequencer, but what the hell do I know.... I mean, I guess having multiple slices per hit is cool?

DaveyG

09 May 2021

KPere wrote:
06 May 2021
Seems like MPC Beats is doing the job. Wonder how it cooperates as a plug with Reason. Can't wait to test it. Thanks again! ;)

Serato will be my next purchase anyways I guess :D
The MPC Beats VST is actually the whole program so you load it into a Reason track and then can crate a whole song or part of a song inside it. You can also load an existing MPC Beats project and get it to play in time with Reason. It works well. The only downside is that some of the key shortcuts don't work because Reason hogs them and also it's quite easy to get confused because you ae running a DAW within a DAW!

EnochLight

09 May 2021

MPC Beats is a DAW as much as a Ford Escape is a rocket ship. ;) It’s really more of a “utility” program IMHO. Even us MPC-users avoid using it in any DAW-capacity. Most of us run it as a plug-in inside a proper DAW.
Win 10 | Ableton Live 11 Suite |  Reason 12 | i7 3770k @ 3.5 Ghz | 16 GB RAM | RME Babyface Pro | Akai MPC Live 2 & Akai Force | Roland System 8, MX1, TB3 | Dreadbox Typhon | Korg Minilogue XD

DaveyG

09 May 2021

EnochLight wrote:
09 May 2021
MPC Beats is a DAW as much as a Ford Escape is a rocket ship. ;) It’s really more of a “utility” program IMHO. Even us MPC-users avoid using it in any DAW-capacity. Most of us run it as a plug-in inside a proper DAW.
Haha, yes. I never said it was good but it does do most of the things you want to do in a DAW, it just does them in a typically Akai oddball way. That whole Track ->Program-> Plugin thing is just weird. Mind you, Reason is not exactly the most DAW-like DAW in the world either.

I used Beats as a plugin for a while to do drum and bass loops but I've moved to using FL Studio for that now.
But Beats is free and it will definitely do the MPC-style slicing that the OP wants.

EnochLight

09 May 2021

DaveyG wrote:
09 May 2021
But Beats is free and it will definitely do the MPC-style slicing that the OP wants.
:thumbup: :thumbs_up:
Win 10 | Ableton Live 11 Suite |  Reason 12 | i7 3770k @ 3.5 Ghz | 16 GB RAM | RME Babyface Pro | Akai MPC Live 2 & Akai Force | Roland System 8, MX1, TB3 | Dreadbox Typhon | Korg Minilogue XD

KPere

10 May 2021

demt wrote:
06 May 2021
I suppose tx16wx is overkill for what you want,but I chucked it in anyway as its free!
overkill indeed :D but interesting tool, never heard of it

• Information