A Praise for Reason :)

This forum is for discussing Reason. Questions, answers, ideas, and opinions... all apply.
nebraskafire

17 Mar 2021

I follow this forum for a while and I m aware of all topics about Reason droping the daw and the Reason+ thing.

I m accutally new to the Reason Daw. I had the lite version for some time but I never really used it. I m a long time Cubase user but Cubase version 11 really frustrated me. So I took a deeper look at other daws and remembered that there was this lite Version of Reason on my notebook. It was a really strange workflow at the beginning but I instantly loved the mixer and the instruments. So I bought Reason 11 and later Suite (because it was a very cheap upgrade). I wrote a song in Reason and had so much fun recording, producing and mixing. Everything felt so easy and sounded very good. I know VST instruments should sound the same in every Daw but I had the feeling that some instruments I used in my songs sounded better in Reason than in Cubase. Even Cubase is more complex I love the workflow and the ease of Reason. One thing I really the liked was that I didnt need so much plugins to get the sound i wanted.

So even the debate about the future of Reason is getting bigger at the moment. I personally love it! Even when they decide to drop the daw and becoming a VST instrument company, its still their decision and a discusion about that is just a waste of time. I love Reason Daw and will continue to use it.

antic604

17 Mar 2021

Yeah, with all that's happening it's easy to forget that even if Reason "stopped" being developed at v11.3, then it's still a great piece of software combining awesome Rack & Mixer, very competent Sequencer, synergy they create when used together + a collection of super creative instruments, effects and utilities. One doesn't really need more to create music, especially if it's of electronic variety and/or on a hobbyist level.

And despite my thread hypothesizing about RS dropping the DAW, I don't think it will happen soon. We know v12 is coming this year, there will still likely by v13 in late 2022 or 2023/2024. What then? Who knows. All depends how well Reason+ and RRP & REs do financially, I guess. They probably also have other business ideas in mind, like web-based music solutions and plugins-in-hardware, which they hinted at 2 years ago at a Juce conference[/url:

Code: Select all

https://youtu.be/rcV9zLFzt4sl
Anyway...

I first bought Reason in late 2017 & summarised my thougths - similar to yours - here, if you'd be interested :)
viewtopic.php?t=7508363
Last edited by antic604 on 17 Mar 2021, edited 1 time in total.
Music tech enthusiast.
DAW, VST & hardware hoarder.
My "music": https://soundcloud.com/antic604

miyaru

17 Mar 2021

I used Cubase for twenty something years too. Stepped to Ableton Live Suite with Push2, and nowadays I'm more of a Reason guy. But all this hassle lately about the future of Reason made me look around again, and lately I'm goovin" around with Fruity Loops.

I'm searching to say the least, and don't know which road to follow at the moment. I like Live, Reason and Fruity Loops - altough the aproach of all three is completly different......

Well time will tell where I end up with I guess.
Greetings from Miyaru.
Prodaw i7-7700, 16Gb Ram, Focusrite Scarlett 18i20 3rd gen, ESI M4U eX, Reason12, Live Suit 10, Push2, Presonus Eris E8 and Monitor Station V2, Lexicon MPX1,
Korg N1, Yamaha RM1x :thumbup:

nebraskafire

17 Mar 2021

In my opinion the software doesnt matter. You can write great songs and albums with all of it. :)

plaamook

17 Mar 2021

nebraskafire wrote:
17 Mar 2021
In my opinion the software doesnt matter. You can write great songs and albums with all of it. :)
Too right.
Except I've got years of Reason files that I'd either lose or have to port over if I split. Hence the anxiety. From my end anyway.
Perpetual Reason 12 Beta Tester :reason:

You can check out my music here.
https://m.soundcloud.com/ericholmofficial
Or here.
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC73uZZ ... 8jqUubzsQg

miyaru

17 Mar 2021

nebraskafire wrote:
17 Mar 2021
You are right, I can write with all of 'em. But the workflow does matter to me, in terms of ease of use and inspiration though.
Greetings from Miyaru.
Prodaw i7-7700, 16Gb Ram, Focusrite Scarlett 18i20 3rd gen, ESI M4U eX, Reason12, Live Suit 10, Push2, Presonus Eris E8 and Monitor Station V2, Lexicon MPX1,
Korg N1, Yamaha RM1x :thumbup:

antic604

17 Mar 2021

nebraskafire wrote:
17 Mar 2021
It does, though. To an extent.

It impacts your workflow, i.e. how fast and easy can you translate the idea to project file before it disappears.

It guides you indirectly to some options and not others (which are impossible or require workaroaunds), e.g. my tracks in Bitwig are much more "tweaky" and experimental because of super fast & easy native modulation system, whereas in Studio One they're more melodic, because of chord track / harmonic editing features, lack of modulation and linear sequencer.

Also, some DAWs - like Reason, Ableton or Bitwig - make it easy to work with "happy accidents" due to random & generative tools, clip launchers that allow you to experiment with combination of elements you wouldn't have tried otherwise, etc.
Music tech enthusiast.

chimp_spanner

17 Mar 2021

It's a story I'm sure I've told a dozen times but I switched to Reason long before it even had VSTs, from Cubase. I've been working in it for the last 6 or 7 years, got tonnes of work done in it. I've kept Cubase up to date alongside it and it is undoubtedly good, but it's just not very inspiring to me personally. Recently I have started getting very heavily into Live 11 Suite and really enjoying that but I still feel really inspired when I just fire up Reason on its own and start chucking things into the rack. Even if I start my ideas there and send them across to another program, there's still nothing like it really.

R303

17 Mar 2021

Many forget (including me), that's a very small company, not Avid, Yamaha, no hardware-producer or Apple.
The decision to open for other DAWs wasn't wrong, there's now a lot of liquidity.

Of course they have made mistakes in the past (Ableton, FL is more relevant), but fun and potential are best for me here.

SoundObjects

17 Mar 2021

I believe we all are a little spoiled with all the new features in modern DAWs.
Sure some producers intentionally limits them self to only use a few of thise options.

I started with Cubase v2.5 for windows 3.11 (no audio only midi and external synths)
Later I also got Reason 3.0 and other DAWs.
Think - it was actual possible to make hit music on old DAWs with only a fraction of the features we have today.

I am very satisfied with Reason today but is also open for new updates and releases. :-)
The Universe Is Vibrating

buddard
RE Developer

17 Mar 2021

antic604 wrote:
17 Mar 2021
Yeah, with all that's happening it's easy to forget that even if Reason "stopped" being developed at v11.3, ...
Yay, more of the same baseless conjecture that apparently must be added to every thread now. :roll:

Jackjackdaw

17 Mar 2021

Yeah, it's not that easy to forget. I would wager that for a lot of Reason users who don't visit this forum it probably hasn't even occured to them. (That it isn't a great piece of software)

PhillipOrdonez

17 Mar 2021

🙄 That's not what is happening at all. Does antic work for another daw company trying to smear Reason? I'm gonna say that's what's happening from now on and I would have more grounds to state that than he has when he spews his baseless claims.

antic604

17 Mar 2021

PhillipOrdonez wrote:
17 Mar 2021
🙄 That's not what is happening at all. Does antic work for another daw company trying to smear Reason? I'm gonna say that's what's happening from now on and I would have more grounds to state that than he has when he spews his baseless claims.
Are you f**ing mental?! :D

Have you even read my post in this thread??? :shock:
Music tech enthusiast.

EnochLight

17 Mar 2021

nebraskafire wrote:
17 Mar 2021
I follow this forum for a while and I'm aware of all topics about Reason dropping the daw and the Reason+ thing. ..Even when they decide to drop the daw
* sigh *

:roll:

People, this is NOT a thing. Please.. Let's not go down that road again. :lol:

@nebraskafire - congrats on 11 Suite and welcome to the forums. Glad to have someone new here.
PhillipOrdonez wrote:
17 Mar 2021
Does antic work for another daw company trying to smear Reason?
This is not a thing either.
Win 10 | Ableton Live 11 Suite |  Reason 12 | i7 3770k @ 3.5 Ghz | 16 GB RAM | RME Babyface Pro | Akai MPC Live 2 & Akai Force | Roland System 8, MX1, TB3 | Dreadbox Typhon | Korg Minilogue XD

PhillipOrdonez

17 Mar 2021

EnochLight wrote:
17 Mar 2021
nebraskafire wrote:
17 Mar 2021
I follow this forum for a while and I'm aware of all topics about Reason dropping the daw and the Reason+ thing. ..Even when they decide to drop the daw
* sigh *

:roll:

People, this is NOT a thing. Please.. Let's not go down that road again. :lol:

@nebraskafire - congrats on 11 Suite and welcome to the forums. Glad to have someone new here.
PhillipOrdonez wrote:
17 Mar 2021
Does antic work for another daw company trying to smear Reason?
This is not a thing either.
It Is more of a thing than the thing he claims is a thing 🙄

QVprod

17 Mar 2021

plaamook wrote:
17 Mar 2021
nebraskafire wrote:
17 Mar 2021
Too right.
Except I've got years of Reason files that I'd either lose or have to port over if I split. Hence the anxiety. From my end anyway.
Question though as this is often brought up in backwards compatibility arguments. How often do you actually open old files from years ago? For me, it’s barely ever. Finished songs are finished and I always like my new ideas more than the ones I never finished.

EnochLight

17 Mar 2021

QVprod wrote:
17 Mar 2021
Question though as this is often brought up in backwards compatibility arguments. How often do you actually open old files from years ago? For me, it’s barely ever. Finished songs are finished and I always like my new ideas more than the ones I never finished.
I opened up this songfile from like... 2002, I think? It was downright embarrassing. :lol: My productions have changed so much over the course of 20 years! That said, I also opened a different project from that same year and was like... "hmmmmm... totally forgot about this one - it's got some great ideas in here!" :thumbup: But yeah, I don't often go back to my old stuff. Not that old, anyway.
Win 10 | Ableton Live 11 Suite |  Reason 12 | i7 3770k @ 3.5 Ghz | 16 GB RAM | RME Babyface Pro | Akai MPC Live 2 & Akai Force | Roland System 8, MX1, TB3 | Dreadbox Typhon | Korg Minilogue XD

plaamook

17 Mar 2021

QVprod wrote:
17 Mar 2021
plaamook wrote:
17 Mar 2021

Too right.
All the time. I constantly cannibalise and rework old into new. Always.
Perpetual Reason 12 Beta Tester :reason:

You can check out my music here.
https://m.soundcloud.com/ericholmofficial
Or here.
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC73uZZ ... 8jqUubzsQg

QVprod

17 Mar 2021

EnochLight wrote:
17 Mar 2021
QVprod wrote:
17 Mar 2021
I opened up this songfile from like... 2002, I think? It was downright embarrassing. :lol: My productions have changed so much over the course of 20 years! That said, I also opened a different project from that same year and was like... "hmmmmm... totally forgot about this one - it's got some great ideas in here!" :thumbup: But yeah, I don't often go back to my old stuff. Not that old, anyway.
:lol: Right. I may revisit something within the last few years, but growth is a thing. Anything with significant age isn’t usually worth going back to. Besides, for me a good amount of that stuff uses refills I no longer have if you know what I mean.

bxbrkrz

17 Mar 2021

nebraskafire wrote:
17 Mar 2021
I follow this forum for a while and I m aware of all topics about Reason droping the daw and the Reason+ thing.

I m accutally new to the Reason Daw. I had the lite version for some time but I never really used it. I m a long time Cubase user but Cubase version 11 really frustrated me. So I took a deeper look at other daws and remembered that there was this lite Version of Reason on my notebook. It was a really strange workflow at the beginning but I instantly loved the mixer and the instruments. So I bought Reason 11 and later Suite (because it was a very cheap upgrade). I wrote a song in Reason and had so much fun recording, producing and mixing. Everything felt so easy and sounded very good. I know VST instruments should sound the same in every Daw but I had the feeling that some instruments I used in my songs sounded better in Reason than in Cubase. Even Cubase is more complex I love the workflow and the ease of Reason. One thing I really the liked was that I didnt need so much plugins to get the sound i wanted.

So even the debate about the future of Reason is getting bigger at the moment. I personally love it! Even when they decide to drop the daw and becoming a VST instrument company, its still their decision and a discusion about that is just a waste of time. I love Reason Daw and will continue to use it.
Thank you for your great thread title and positive feedback :puf_smile:
757365206C6F67696320746F207365656B20616E73776572732075736520726561736F6E20746F2066696E6420776973646F6D20676574206F7574206F6620796F757220636F6D666F7274207A6F6E65206F7220796F757220696E737069726174696F6E2077696C6C206372797374616C6C697A6520666F7265766572

dvdrtldg

17 Mar 2021

nebraskafire wrote:
17 Mar 2021
That's true in a very general sense. But I started producing music digitally with Reason, had never ventured outside the analogue world before then. So my entire style of music since has been shaped by that particular DAW - lots of cv modulation, lots of time spent around the back of the rack. I'm pretty sure that a different DAW would result in different music for me. Which isn't necessarily a good or a bad thing, I might find that I produce even better music in Live or Logic. I'm just not so sure that "the software doesn't matter"

PhillipOrdonez

17 Mar 2021

dvdrtldg wrote:
17 Mar 2021
nebraskafire wrote:
17 Mar 2021
That's true in a very general sense. But I started producing music digitally with Reason, had never ventured outside the analogue world before then. So my entire style of music since has been shaped by that particular DAW - lots of cv modulation, lots of time spent around the back of the rack. I'm pretty sure that a different DAW would result in different music for me. Which isn't necessarily a good or a bad thing, I might find that I produce even better music in Live or Logic. I'm just not so sure that "the software doesn't matter"
I don't think it matters because ultimately you're making what YOU think is good. And that's not gonna change depending on the daw. It will always be what you think is good.

People making music don't just like whatever comes out of a daw just because they made it. There's a taste involved which dictate your moves, a taste informed by your entire life as a music lover.

GRB

17 Mar 2021

nebraskafire wrote:
17 Mar 2021
Welcome to Reason, nebraskafire :thumbup:

Another opinion, software does matter because the workflow really takes you from a 4 bar loop idea to a whole song.

I've tried many DAWs even before they were called that way, I also own a few of them (S1, FL Studio, Reaper) but the only one that makes me really happy and inspired is Reason, I love it!

Sure, there are people that makes music with no software at all but I'm talking about humans like you and me :-)

Also you there's people like Paul Ortiz, Ryan, Matthias and many others with awesome Reason tutorials and tips, check it out in YouTube (in the comments you'll see many people that don't use Reason watching because they found great content quality)

The Rack concept with cables, the SSL mixer, the combinators, its all fun! Enjoy!
R12 12.2d36 / Reason+ / R11 Suite - Win10 64bit HP i7 - 32Gb RAM - SSD / Scarlett 2i4 / Novation Launchkey 61 MK3 / Nektar Impact LX61+ / JBL 305 MKII

BRIGGS

17 Mar 2021

Ok....I'll say it again....

I quit guitar after 20 years, to go down the Reason rabbit hole...13 years later, I own zero guitars.

Reason makes the computer a musical instrument.
r11s

• Information