Reason updates (11.3.7 / 11.3.8) and Reason+

This forum is for discussing Reason. Questions, answers, ideas, and opinions... all apply.

Will you try or subscribe to Reason+?

No, I won’t even try it
74%
I will try it, but the subscription is not for me
10%
I will try it and consider subscribing
8%
I will likely subscribe monthly
2%
I will likely subscribe annually
6%

Total votes: 497
cymek74

27 Jan 2021

If you start out on Reason+ as a new user at $20 a month, get used to the software and it improves and gets the features that are being requested, then in 18 months it goes to $25 a month, then 3 years down the line $30, you are sort of stuffed, you have to either cough up because you want to keep using Reason or jump off the subscription onto a Reason non-subscription license with no REs or another DAW.
Reason 12, Bitwig 4, Win 10 :recycle: :reason: :re:

Last Alternative

27 Jan 2021

How come I still have to use Reason 11 in low res on my iMac to prevent jumpy video issues? Low res hurts my eyes, thusly killing my workflow and interest in their product. And it’s been years with no fix..
https://lastalternative.bandcamp.com
:reason: 12.7.4 | MacBook Pro (16”, 2021), OS Sonoma, M1 Max, 4TB SSD, 64GB RAM | quality instruments & gear

joeyluck

27 Jan 2021

Reason+ is worth a try just for Companion!

It's such a breath of fresh air compared to Authorizer. You can choose to install and uninstall individual REs directly from Companion. There are currently 2 sync all options; one for all of the Reason+/Reason Studios REs and a separate one for all of your other REs. It's still not a completely customizable sync all, but it is already so much better, and I think one day we may see more options for that.

It also sorts uninstalled REs to the top of the list :thumbup:
The realtime search is super snappy (when browsing packs or your REs).

The sound packs are really great too. I think this is worth checking out, even if you are a user who owns everything already, just to checkout Companion and the packs.

Goriila Texas

27 Jan 2021

I just tried to listen to some of the packs but I'm not able to listen to any of them. Do you have to sign up just to listen to packs? If so that's dumbest idea I've seen awhile regarding sound or loops.

Loque

27 Jan 2021

Last Alternative wrote:
27 Jan 2021
How come I still have to use Reason 11 in low res on my iMac to prevent jumpy video issues? Low res hurts my eyes, thusly killing my workflow and interest in their product. And it’s been years with no fix..
Update is coming this year. Hopefully earlier this year.
Reason12, Win10

Loque

27 Jan 2021

Goriila Texas wrote:
27 Jan 2021
I just tried to listen to some of the packs but I'm not able to listen to any of them. Do you have to sign up just to listen to packs? If so that's dumbest idea I've seen awhile regarding sound or loops.
They get downloaded and than played. May take a moment, especially today since their servers probably get hammered...
Reason12, Win10

ScuzzyEye

27 Jan 2021

eusti wrote:
27 Jan 2021
ScuzzyEye wrote:
27 Jan 2021

Or you can not assume the worst, and read that as a bit of marketing fluff, "Nothing to worry about, always have the latest version, and all our instruments and effects!" Because the alternative for non-subscribers is that you don't get the latest version until you pay for the upgrade. Which is a delay. That delay depends on how long it takes your to notice there is a new version, and how quickly you can enter your credit card number.
Maybe talking about roll out of point updates?
I don't think that's likely either, because this whole thread started because a bought version of Reason 11.3.7 included a reference to Reason+ and Companion, even though they weren't a public thing yet. If they were making one rapidly updating version of Reason for subscribers, and a second slower one for owners, they would have left out the reference to Reason+ in the latter. Really, it seems the Reason that everyone will be running is the same program, just acquired in different ways.

Goriila Texas

27 Jan 2021

Loque wrote:
27 Jan 2021
Goriila Texas wrote:
27 Jan 2021
They get downloaded and than played. May take a moment, especially today since their servers probably get hammered...

ok thanks

Josdams

27 Jan 2021

joeyluck wrote:
27 Jan 2021
Here's the thing, folks...

Let's say theoretically that R12 is planned for the summer.

Whether R+ is introduced now or not, R12 would still be planned for the summer.

If a subscription is not for you, that doesn't change what happens in the summer. If R+ isn't released today, nothing happens today and we have nothing to talk about. R12 would be released in the summer.

Are you following?

If anything, a subscription creates an obligation for RS to continue to innovate and update Reason in order to keep it enticing and keep subscribers on board.

So I don't get the outrage. Everything going on in the world and you want to put so much energy into the fact that you think an option of a subscription to software is the end of the world.

The outrage is for all the KEY FEATURES that people keep not getting after years of OBVIOUS request.

You just have to read the chat of that stupid live stream to understand what costumers are asking for. If you're not able to read that chat as a company, then expected not less than absolut disappointment reactions from buyers..

Billy+

27 Jan 2021

Loque wrote:
27 Jan 2021
Last Alternative wrote:
27 Jan 2021
Update is coming this year. Hopefully earlier this year.
Not before the end of April, hence the discount price for current owners.

Worse thing, we still might not get fully working vst2.4 support i.e. vst midi.

DecafDreams

27 Jan 2021

I'm still on 11.3.6 and haven't updated yet. Is there actually any reason to update beyond this version if I want nothing to do with Reason+ or Reason Companion? Does 11.3.7/8 install Companion and also force a Packs icon into the browser sidebar and if so can either of these things be disabled?

JiggeryPokery
RE Developer

27 Jan 2021

I forgot I'd done this one... seems apropos, and a bit of fun :lol:

Last edited by JiggeryPokery on 27 Jan 2021, edited 1 time in total.

Billy+

27 Jan 2021

DecafDreams wrote:
27 Jan 2021
I'm still on 11.3.6 and haven't updated yet. Is there actually any reason to update beyond this version if I want nothing to do with Reason+ or Reason Companion? Does 11.3.7/8 install Companion and also force a Packs icon into the browser sidebar and if so can either of these things be disabled?
I'm about 3 or 4 updates behind and I've got none of that, ;)

And I don't plan on updating any time soon

EnochLight

27 Jan 2021

joeyluck wrote:
27 Jan 2021

If a subscription is not for you, that doesn't change what happens in the summer. If R+ isn't released today, nothing happens today and we have nothing to talk about. R12 would be released in the summer.

Are you following?

If anything, a subscription creates an obligation for RS to continue to innovate and update Reason in order to keep it enticing and keep subscribers on board.

So I don't get the outrage. Everything going on in the world and you want to put so much energy into the fact that you think an option of a subscription to software is the end of the world.
I feel like this needs to be a sticky.
Win 10 | Ableton Live 11 Suite |  Reason 12 | i7 3770k @ 3.5 Ghz | 16 GB RAM | RME Babyface Pro | Akai MPC Live 2 & Akai Force | Roland System 8, MX1, TB3 | Dreadbox Typhon | Korg Minilogue XD

Josdams

27 Jan 2021

Threpus wrote:
27 Jan 2021
Dear Reason Studios,

I understand that nothing changes for perpetual license owners, but that is a problem when those owners have been desperate for improvements to the DAW itself.

It’s opportunity cost- the time and attention Reason Studios is dedicating to attracting new customers is time not spent serving the ones they already have.

Most users know that RS has to generate revenue, but the company seems oblivious to the reality of what makes Reason special to begin with. It’s the unique workflow- not the outdated devices- that keep me coming back. There are only a few stock devices that I even touch- most we’re replaced by better options years ago.

The key to making current users happy and attracting new ones is to leverage your strengths while correcting your weaknesses. You are doing neither. Listen to what people are telling you.

Please, Reason Studios- stop taking the customers you’ve already won over for granted. Be advised: loyalty is a two-way street.

Respectfully yours,

Will
I will thank you instead because that CEO of Reason studios (whatever his name is ) will never be here to read your comments and requests personally, just like they did on the live stream.

They instead treat us like "the internet"

So I'll thank you for your beautiful honest feedback because you know at least I read your feedback comment.

BonsaiMacKay

27 Jan 2021

reasonoo.jpg
reasonoo.jpg (39.68 KiB) Viewed 26023 times

arnigretar

27 Jan 2021

Saw the livestream and been reading comments in this thread all day. Kept me busy while being sick. Thanks! Anywho... imo subscription isn't for me. But props are saying that this +platform won't affect us/me from buying or upgrading to 12. So I'm cool. Soundpacks - two or three times a week? Jesus, who would want that :D Let's just say for a moment they will be 3 then it will be 156 soundpacks a year. 312 soundpacks in two years... lol. Who da fuck is going to get creative with that endless stuff? Maybe some, but that's not something I am looking for. But... like I said, I don't care about this + service if Reason 12 just comes out w/high res and - hopefully - vst3. And... if I can just upgrade. Btw... suite owner and been here since v1 (not that anyone cares)
https://futuregrapher.bandcamp.com/

Reason 12, Ableton Live 10 Suite, Roland Cloud, Arturia V9, Korg Legacy 3, Soundtoys 5, Waves Mercury, Sonic Charge Bundle, N.I.: Massive, Reaktor 6, FM8. + a lot of Hardware. Windows 7/10.

EnochLight

27 Jan 2021

stp2015 wrote:
27 Jan 2021
A different question: Can I mute a user? Ideally also a specific mod?
Click on my username, then select "add foe" at the top. Theoretically, you should no longer see my posts, though I've never blocked anyone here so can't attest to what will happen. I'll still see your posts, though. If you don't want me to respond to things you post, I'm afraid you're out of luck and should probably quit the Internet.
Win 10 | Ableton Live 11 Suite |  Reason 12 | i7 3770k @ 3.5 Ghz | 16 GB RAM | RME Babyface Pro | Akai MPC Live 2 & Akai Force | Roland System 8, MX1, TB3 | Dreadbox Typhon | Korg Minilogue XD

Catblack

27 Jan 2021

joeyluck wrote:
27 Jan 2021
Reason+ is worth a try just for Companion!
No, not really.
If you ain't hip to the rare Housequake, shut up already.

Damn.

earwig83

27 Jan 2021

guitfnky wrote:
27 Jan 2021
earwig83 wrote:
27 Jan 2021

Whoa, that has never happened to me. Convincing someone on the internet is harder than making the right choices for Reason! Thank you for saying that. :)
I’m a pretty hard-headed guy, but I like to think if someone makes a good point I’m open to changing my mind. 😄
Same!

joeyluck

27 Jan 2021

certifiedbeatz wrote:
27 Jan 2021
joeyluck wrote:
27 Jan 2021

Are you following?

The outrage is the monthly cost during this tough times
Perpetual licenses are still an option and you can choose that route if you have the money as a new user to pay $399 or to upgrade for $129. Reason is still one the cheapest DAWs to upgrade and one of the few DAWs that doesn't have tiered upgrade paths. It's still $129 for everybody from any version.

Or there is the option to subscribe for less money up front and have access to Reason plus all the REs by Reason Studios. Prices didn't go up for perpetual licenses. An option for subscription was introduced. So you've got it all wrong. People now have options. It's up to the user to decide the best path, but we simply have more options. So I don't get your argument.

Social Exodus

27 Jan 2021

:reason: 11 Suite/12 Perpetual License :re: Too many to count :refill: A few choice items

Nektar Panorama P4
Korg padKontrol

earwig83

27 Jan 2021

arnigretar wrote:
27 Jan 2021
Saw the livestream and been reading comments in this thread all day. Kept me busy while being sick. Thanks! Anywho... imo subscription isn't for me. But props are saying that this +platform won't affect us/me from buying or upgrading to 12. So I'm cool. Soundpacks - two or three times a week? Jesus, who would want that :D Let's just say for a moment they will be 3 then it will be 156 soundpacks a year. 312 soundpacks in two years... lol. Who da ferk is going to get creative with that endless stuff? Maybe some, but that's not something I am looking for. But... like I said, I don't care about this + service if Reason 12 just comes out w/high res and - hopefully - vst3. And... if I can just upgrade. Btw... suite owner and been here since v1 (not that anyone cares)
I care :)

DecafDreams

27 Jan 2021

Billy+ wrote:
27 Jan 2021
DecafDreams wrote:
27 Jan 2021
I'm about 3 or 4 updates behind and I've got none of that, ;)

And I don't plan on updating any time soon
I'll do a backup and then try the upgrade. If I don't like it and it forces a bunch of plus shit and companion shit on me, then I can just restore the backup.
Last edited by DecafDreams on 27 Jan 2021, edited 1 time in total.

MrFigg
Competition Winner

27 Jan 2021

Wonder how many folk actually used the term “perpetual license” until today.
🗲 2ॐ ᛉ

• Information