Reason updates (11.3.7 / 11.3.8) and Reason+

This forum is for discussing Reason. Questions, answers, ideas, and opinions... all apply.

Will you try or subscribe to Reason+?

No, I won’t even try it
74%
I will try it, but the subscription is not for me
10%
I will try it and consider subscribing
8%
I will likely subscribe monthly
2%
I will likely subscribe annually
6%

Total votes: 497
aftrshok99

27 Jan 2021

Catblack wrote:
27 Jan 2021
I didn't watch the live stream.

Looks like they've dumped all the 3rd party Rack Extensions? The shop is gone? (I'm not seeing any link to it from the main site...) What the f*ck!

F*cking subscription? NO ferk WAY.

And for all the advocacy I've done talking up Reason since DECEMBER 2000... now this?

Still processing this, but for me it's a big, big NOPE.

I'm still processing the news, as you can see.

Jesus f*ck me christ, couldn't do a ferk hi-rez update of the interface without f*cking over the users yet again, could ye?

Again, they haven't dropped 3rd party support, the shop link is at the bottom of the page. I bet it moves back to the top of the page soon.
Reason+ / Bitwig Studio 4 / NI Maschine MK3 / Novation Launchpad Mini MK3 / NI M32

hfw

27 Jan 2021

selig wrote:
27 Jan 2021
EnochLight wrote:
27 Jan 2021

To clarify - Suite is discontinued as a product, but if you bought Suite - you still own a perpetual license and all RE's that came with it, and you will be able to upgrade to "regular" Reason 12 - and take those RE's with you to 12 - once it drops.
OK, so basically "nothing to see here, move along"?!? ;)
I can't see how this affects anything, at least for me.
Smarmy. Its about the tacticts. I understand where you guys are coming from. I like you both and have benifitted from your work, im out now. You see it as fine, i dont. the world keeps turning.

Billy+

27 Jan 2021

I'm guessing that you are all thinking what does a long term Reason user get for the 20 whatever a month, in my case it's Mutator & the creator packs. That's it.

When might I get something useful, well maybe by the time V12 is released. "Possible vst midi" but that's not confirmed.

Can I at lease try some of the content pack, I've already brought all the devices. No!

Huh ahh aha but it's ok they have had lots of people signing up today "even from Africa"......

It's free, what did you think was going to happen - tell me how many convert from free for a month to 20 year old customers....

The one thing that is scary,

When the crap hits the fan how much will the standard upgrade price increase by so use dedicated Reason users can continue with a real license.

Loque

27 Jan 2021

hfw wrote:
27 Jan 2021
I feel much of this is due to the news R2R cracked wibu.... all of us are paying for it. It will be sub / online only within a year or two.
You tried that Crack? Go on, Emotet infrastructure was shut just today, it's safe now 😂

No, really, nothing changed with licensing or protection, it's just easier and transparent with Companien.
Reason12, Win10

selig
RE Developer

27 Jan 2021

hfw wrote:
27 Jan 2021
selig wrote:
27 Jan 2021

OK, so basically "nothing to see here, move along"?!? ;)
I can't see how this affects anything, at least for me.
Smarmy. Its about the tacticts. I understand where you guys are coming from. I like you both and have benifitted from your work, im out now. You see it as fine, i dont. the world keeps turning.
OK I'm listening - what am I missing?
Selig Audio, LLC

Faastwalker

27 Jan 2021

I didn’t bother getting up a 5am as planned to watch the live stream. Turned off the alarm when I found out what Reason+ was going to be. But woke up around 6am and went to the stream. Turned it off after about 5 minutes. I couldn’t take it anymore. Felt like I was sitting in a corporate, marketing meeting where management are trying hard to sell a hugely unpopular idea and doing a terrible job of it. Ryan and Matthias enthusiastic as ever (no idea who the other 3 were. Could barely give a hoot considering the context). But I bet when the stream was over they were both like, ‘thank f**k for that!!’. Painful to watch, even for a short time. I honestly feel now that Reason is heading inexplicably in completely the wrong direction :(

EnochLight

27 Jan 2021

bxbrkrz wrote:
27 Jan 2021
For those who are using the service: do you think Roland Cloud Ultimate is a better package deal than Reason+?
Roland Cloud subscriber here. It doesn't come with a DAW, so Reason+ is a better package if you want an all-in-one production environment inside Reason. But if I'm using another DAW and have to choose between RRP and Roland Cloud? That's tough, though I'd probably lean towards RRP+ since it covers a lot more than Roland's offering.
Win 10 | Ableton Live 11 Suite |  Reason 12 | i7 3770k @ 3.5 Ghz | 16 GB RAM | RME Babyface Pro | Akai MPC Live 2 & Akai Force | Roland System 8, MX1, TB3 | Dreadbox Typhon | Korg Minilogue XD

ClassickHitz

27 Jan 2021

selig wrote:
27 Jan 2021
hfw wrote:
27 Jan 2021

They said suite is gone in the live stream. Its disbanded. and its a kick in teeth, as when it was released i thought about and decided id take the hit and pay it off to show support as it seemed like a cool new direction. now its gone. its shady.
I don't think that's what they said, if so I missed it and instead heard just the opposite. There is no plans to remove the perpetual license model going forward, there will be a Reason 12 just like there was a Reason 1-11 before it. To be clear, maybe I missed something about "Suite" specifically, so apologies if so (but I understood there were to be no changes to the existing product line).
Either they misspoke or I too misunderstood. But from what I heard Suite was a wash. As a 11 Suite owner I don't see the incentive to pay $99US then another $199US if I decided to renew the following year for some sound packs and REs I don't even want. All the while, no integration of Recycle to say the least. Suite owners are basically paying for more of the same.

Loque

27 Jan 2021

Josdams wrote:
27 Jan 2021
Does anyone knows where I can sell my Reason
11 License?
You should try on kvraudio, most ppl here have one. But you can try here in the Reason General forum.
Reason12, Win10

selig
RE Developer

27 Jan 2021

Faastwalker wrote:
27 Jan 2021
I didn’t bother getting up a 5am as planned to watch the live stream. Turned off the alarm when I found out what Reason+ was going to be. But woke up around 6am and went to the stream. Turned it off after about 5 minutes. I couldn’t take it anymore. Felt like I was sitting in a corporate, marketing meeting where management are trying hard to sell a hugely unpopular idea and doing a terrible job of it. Ryan and Matthias enthusiastic as ever (no idea who the other 3 were. Could barely give a hoot considering the context). But I bet when the stream was over they were both like, ‘thank f**k for that!!’. Painful to watch, even for a short time. I honestly feel now that Reason is heading inexplicably in completely the wrong direction :(
It's the wrong direction for me, but I'm not a typical user and certainly not a "new" user by any meaning of the term!
Selig Audio, LLC

ScuzzyEye

27 Jan 2021

hfw wrote:
27 Jan 2021
You're welcome to throw out everything you've bought up to this point. But you're also completely welcome to keep using it. That's the point. For people who own Reason, and prefer to not rent, literally nothing has changed. There is just another way to get access to Reason and all Reason Studios' REs now. I don't know what the adoption rate will be, based on the response from the users here, probably not many of us. But maybe it's not for us? People who already own Reason and all the REs we want. And that's fine, Reason Studio's didn't change anything about the way we continue.

hfw

27 Jan 2021

Loque wrote:
27 Jan 2021
hfw wrote:
27 Jan 2021
I feel much of this is due to the news R2R cracked wibu.... all of us are paying for it. It will be sub / online only within a year or two.
You tried that Crack? Go on, Emotet infrastructure was shut just today, it's safe now 😂

No, really, nothing changed with licensing or protection, it's just easier and transparent with Companien.
No. But the announcement was made and much of the rest of ilok stuff was released. Softube etc. I wouldnt use it. Im just saying, it has happened. Seems like this move to online sub is inpart a direct attempt at mitigating the effects of that. They already said they would have a new offline liscencing which isnt codemeter in 2021... go figure.

For the record, im not saying cracking is good, im just saying transparency and roadmaps go a long way.

Josdams

27 Jan 2021

Loque wrote:
27 Jan 2021
Josdams wrote:
27 Jan 2021
Does anyone knows where I can sell my Reason
11 License?
You should try on kvraudio, most ppl here have one. But you can try here in the Reason General forum.
Thanks Loque

Rackman

27 Jan 2021

That whole thing was about as cringeworthy as it gets. Good to see so much hatred for it from the users, though I doubt it will change anything. As long as the hi-dpi update is an upgrade, everyone that wants to can pony up and walk away with their REs in tow. No need to buy any further into this sh*tshow.

selig
RE Developer

27 Jan 2021

DougalDarkly wrote:
27 Jan 2021
I too am confused - why are you trying (and failing) to defend RS' absolutely terrible decision?

I really hope you and the other mods are getting paid for this, otherwise it just doesn't make any sense at all. :clap:
It's only a terrible decision if it hurts the company as a whole, right? Otherwise what does it matter, - what you or I think about the decision is inconsequential.

As a product, it's not for me, I'm guessing it's not for you.
But that doesn't make it a great OR a terrible decision does it?
Selig Audio, LLC

joeyluck

27 Jan 2021

Here's the thing, folks...

Let's say theoretically that R12 is planned for the summer.

Whether R+ is introduced now or not, R12 would still be planned for the summer.

If a subscription is not for you, that doesn't change what happens in the summer. If R+ isn't released today, nothing happens today and we have nothing to talk about. R12 would be released in the summer.

Are you following?

If anything, a subscription creates an obligation for RS to continue to innovate and update Reason in order to keep it enticing and keep subscribers on board.

So I don't get the outrage. Everything going on in the world and you want to put so much energy into the fact that you think an option of a subscription to software is the end of the world.

xylyx

27 Jan 2021

Josdams wrote:
27 Jan 2021
Loque wrote:
27 Jan 2021

Thanks Loque
Just remember that you can only sell Reason, your rack extensions are not allowed to be resold with it or separately.
Last edited by xylyx on 27 Jan 2021, edited 1 time in total.

lrey

27 Jan 2021

The more people that adopt the subscription plan, the more likely that Reason Studios will phase out perpetual licenses.

Make your voices heard through your wallets. Just DO NOT give RS your money.

DON'T SUBSCRIBE TO R+

Mistro17

27 Jan 2021

The only reason I would get concerned is if Reason Studios sold the company to some unknown non music company who is profit driven like many Software companies did. For example my favorite 3D rendering program had an awesome relationship between the community and the developers until they sold the company and just as many of us feared, it became a subscription service. The only good thing to come out of that was our licenses we paid for did not change but we're screwed on any updates. This is not the case here. It's not like Reason Studios is under new management. The only thing I wish they did during the stream was repeating the reassuring that the original business model did not change on a global scale and talked more about future updates in more detail as much as they can. Sometimes silence on things too long gets people very nervous. Looks like this community need some comforting.

Magnus101

27 Jan 2021

Why is Reason Shop removed from the mainpage?
There are no links to it.

If i write in the link https://www.reasonstudios.com/shop , it is still there but going to reasonstudios.com you can't get there.

Is this a greedy way of trying to get as many people as possible to buy the subscription?

demt

27 Jan 2021

Hahahahahahaharhahar we sure don't get what we ask for just an endless stupyfying swamp of templates go on ask a newbie to steer a course through that and there still b going round in pointless circles learning nothing forever, bad for the workflow is to mutch choice there again perhaps theres a goa template so who knows what mega tons of options are going to do to us poor souls haharhahar Haha
Reason 12 ,gear4 music sdp3 stage piano .nektar gxp 88,behringer umc1800 .line6 spider4 30
hear scince reason 2.5

selig
RE Developer

27 Jan 2021

lrey wrote:
27 Jan 2021
The more people that adopt the subscription plan, the more likely that Reason Studios will phase out perpetual licenses.

Make your voices heard through your wallets. Just DO NOT give RS your money.

DON'T SUBSCRIBE TO R+
I say let the market decide. I'm not subscribing myself, but not because I'm on some crusade or anything - it's because it's not for me!
The market will "speak" no matter if a few folks boycott or not. The REAL time to not subscribe is when there is no other option. I'll happily move over to Logic if that day comes, but until then I want Reason Studios to make enough $$$ to stay in business so I can keep using it!!!
Selig Audio, LLC

Loque

27 Jan 2021

Magnus101 wrote:
27 Jan 2021
Why is Reason Shop removed from the mainpage?
There are no links to it.

If i write in the link https://www.reasonstudios.com/shop , it is still there but going to reasonstudios.com you can't get there.

Is this a greedy way of trying to get as many people as possible to buy the subscription?
The shop is still there, on bottom of the page. They just want to prominently show R+ now. I think, the shop page link will f few back in a few days.
Reason12, Win10

eusti

27 Jan 2021

joeyluck wrote:
27 Jan 2021
Here's the thing, folks...

Let's say theoretically that R12 is planned for the summer.

Whether R+ is introduced now or not, R12 would still be planned for the summer.

If a subscription is not for you, that doesn't change what happens in the summer. If R+ isn't released today, nothing happens today and we have nothing to talk about. R12 would be released in the summer.
Well, not completely sure that is on point... Who knows what resources would have gone where if RS hadn't opted to develop and push R+...

But, as much as this new direction is not at all appealing to me, it seems to be something RS wants to try... And for the sake of the company and therefore all future Reason versions I sure hope they succeed...

D.

EdwardKiy

27 Jan 2021

hfw wrote:
27 Jan 2021
Im sick of this narritive that creatives want the fastest way to an idea. Its a really tedious and dangerous narrative. Its not true. Creation is organic and takes as long as it needs. Its a meditative process.
Completely with you on this one, but can't blame Reason either. Someone else will get that young blood money, and by selling the exact same idea.

And the quickest way to an idea (just by the way) is for people to sit and play the parts with body parts appropriate for the instrument. How likely is it that a part that you have just dreamed up a minute ago is already in your sample collection and that you will find it among a million files by sheer chance? And why is this referred to as a 'workflow' and which part of it is creative exactly? It's pretty funny if you think about it. It's similar to saying you earn money for your family by buying lottery tickets every day.

• Information