Reason updates (11.3.7 / 11.3.8) and Reason+

This forum is for discussing Reason. Questions, answers, ideas, and opinions... all apply.

Will you try or subscribe to Reason+?

No, I won’t even try it
74%
I will try it, but the subscription is not for me
10%
I will try it and consider subscribing
8%
I will likely subscribe monthly
2%
I will likely subscribe annually
6%

Total votes: 497
PhillipOrdonez

25 Jan 2021

We should all be getting a + on our usernames, otherwise I'll never upgrade Reason again! 😂

aftrshok99

25 Jan 2021

OverneathTheSkyBridg wrote:
25 Jan 2021
I'm pretty sure this is not a GUI update, as they'll probably save that for Reason 12. Definitely holding off on the upgrade until I find out what this is all about, but I'm not really that excited about a subscription service. I've already bought so many things that I haven't even gotten around to using so that'll be a nope from me. The only other thing I can think of is if Reason allows it's Rack to be controlled in a tactile way from an iPad or Android device, though given their track record they don't really seem to care that much about Android which leaves me out in the cold.

I'm running Reason 11 suite, so if the subscription method is the way forward I'm fine with what I have as of now and will wish them well but I highly doubt they're going to just shut out customers like myself.

Ryan, just show us the damn product already!!!!!

Do you think it could be something along the lines of a dedicated controller, like Maschine or something along those lines?

I have no issues with a subscription service as long as you can choose between it or the normal upgrade path we currently have.
Reason+ / Bitwig Studio 4 / NI Maschine MK3 / Novation Launchpad Mini MK3 / NI M32

miscend

25 Jan 2021

Spryx wrote:
25 Jan 2021
It is clearly an application related to a subscription service. What exactly that means is anyone's guess :roll:.
The companion app enables you to run something related to your user account. Just a guess here, but maybe Rack Extensions?
Strings from binary:
RS_Strings.png
Good find.

Not sure if a subscription will be of any value to those already well invested in the ecosystem.

moneykube

25 Jan 2021

miscend wrote:
25 Jan 2021
Spryx wrote:
25 Jan 2021
It is clearly an application related to a subscription service. What exactly that means is anyone's guess :roll:.
The companion app enables you to run something related to your user account. Just a guess here, but maybe Rack Extensions?
Strings from binary:
RS_Strings.png
Good find.

Not sure if a subscription will be of any value to those already well invested in the ecosystem.
I have pretty much all I want right now other then some feature requests... if it is a subscription, I plan to revert back to the last version and no more updates. After purchasing 11 suit ( owning most of the racks included already) and purchasing countless racks ( many now discontinued) a subscription to me would the last slap in the face I will be willing to take no matter what RS promises in the future. TOO many promises have not been kept imo.
https://soundcloud.com/moneykube-qube/s ... d-playlist
Proud Member Of The Awesome League Of Perpetuals

fieldframe
RE Developer

25 Jan 2021

Even though all the evidence overwhelmingly points to this being a new subscription-based service, what if it were [completely unrelated Reason feature you want] instead?

vertibration

25 Jan 2021

What if the subscription (maybe optional), includes a full rework of Reason? Why make a big announcement. It would be absolutely silly to make an announcement if it was merely a subscription service. They could just literally say, "Hey, you can subscribe to reason now"

Why the fuss, why the big deal? Maybe its because they are planning something big

moneykube

25 Jan 2021

fieldframe wrote:
25 Jan 2021
Even though all the evidence overwhelmingly points to this being a new subscription-based service, what if it were [completely unrelated Reason feature you want] instead?
A list of few top ones in no particular order> VST3 compatibility, high Rez display for old eyes, more in-depth audio editing options, better interactivity with some controllers, proper midi out, Video support so I do not need to use another DAW to use reason to score for film, and support that does not blame user error as a first resort... when they finally do reply(the last one is a wish for ALL big companies especially Apple), don't erase support tickets which seems to have happened recently. Return the forum filled with tons of information that was erased from history ( so> in many cases support would likely be unnecessary since many questions were answered within the forum including tips, tricks and many of the helpful patches and advice... as many often wait a long time for a response when there is a problem)> Perhaps a new proper forum instead of having to use twitter, Facebook or the apparent overwhelmed support staff.All other companies I use have forums... why did the users have to make their own, after BOOKS of info were deleted?... UPDATE THE SERVER> so it operates as it should) it seems to always go down when they are away( a lot)... but... hey... these are common features long time users have asked for for years and are included in most DAWS.... I could add more... but there seems to be no point as they do not seem to want to listen to their user base shooting them coin through the years to support their product and keep them in business. Reason user since 2.5(rewire before that)... I have seen a lot of questionable things stated throughout the years that never happened or were just plain deleted, removed or redacted.(I certainly don't want to revisit that nightmare to explain examples where this happened in the past)... been there ... done that... it is was no fun at all. Really don't want to argue at all... just stating I am extremely opposed to the subscription model .

moneykube

25 Jan 2021

vertibration wrote:
25 Jan 2021
What if the subscription (maybe optional), includes a full rework of Reason? Why make a big announcement. It would be absolutely silly to make an announcement if it was merely a subscription service. They could just literally say, "Hey, you can subscribe to reason now"

Why the fuss, why the big deal? Maybe its because they are planning something big
I sincerely hope so.I guess we will soon know . :thumbs_up:There has been a lot of "what if " in the last 20 years.

deeplink
Competition Winner

25 Jan 2021

I hoesntly think it's a launch of a subscription based Refill bank. Similar to loopcloud or splice. However just with the refills (perhaps even RE's) in the Reason Shop.
Get more Combinators at the deeplink website

Faastwalker

25 Jan 2021

vertibration wrote:
25 Jan 2021
It would be absolutely silly to make an announcement if it was merely a subscription service. They could just literally say, "Hey, you can subscribe to reason now”.
I agree. Seems strange they would make such fanfare about something most people don’t seem to want. Live stream starts and they announce subscription service. 90% of viewers close stream and get on with something else! :-/

miscend

25 Jan 2021

deeplink wrote:
25 Jan 2021
I hoesntly think it's a launch of a subscription based Refill bank. Similar to loopcloud or splice. However just with the refills (perhaps even RE's) in the Reason Shop.
They have to sign up tons of content creators if they want to compete with Splice and Loopcloud.

fieldframe
RE Developer

25 Jan 2021

deeplink wrote:
25 Jan 2021
This is 99% likely what it’s going to be. As I pointed out earlier in the thread, the fact that one of the localization strings refers to “running” something implies that REs will indeed be part of it.

rexbrewer

26 Jan 2021

Highly doubt its anything subscription based when they already offer subscriptions for RE's. Nothing like Splice or Loopcloud because you can never compete with that. I am guessing a more focused collaboration over the web with other users. Or maybe Reason + is Reason 12. They have just named it + because they will switch from a numbered version and just update + over and over again.

ulaw

26 Jan 2021

I have the feeling that this brings "companion play along" features you get in arranger keyboards to Reason for the "companion" part. Reason+ I agree sounds like an "optional subscription model" from a first glance in naming convention, but also feel that if they were to bring more "multi user session" style capabilities in some form (think network session server for additional users in your session) it may fit under the same type of moniker.

mravdirato

26 Jan 2021

miscend wrote:
25 Jan 2021
deeplink wrote:
25 Jan 2021
They have to sign up tons of content creators if they want to compete with Splice and Loopcloud.
I honestly think this will be the case, but yeah, they need to sign up more content creators if this is gonna be a sample subscription service. TBH the other refills on the shop needs a refresh and a bunch of new ones, and since very few make Reason Refills, I think this is the perfect addition. If not, I really would like an RE sub service for collaboration purposes.

reasonwhy

26 Jan 2021

In an interview I watched on YouTube, Jean Michel Jarre predicted the future of music technology. He predicted that AI would evolve to allow producers to work with an "intelligent buddy" in the studio.

During the past year with Reason 11, we have seen a move towards players like BeatMap and Pattern Mutator, devices that help you create drum patterns and midi sequences.

My guess is, that "Reason+" is the new name for Reason (so no Reason 12) and that "Companion" is some sort of plugin that can help you build your tracks - a "meta player" - using generative and AI techniques. Personally, I would like that!

DaveyG

26 Jan 2021

Perhaps it's a reworked and rebranded Allihooper (cough, cough).

dannyF

26 Jan 2021

DaveyG wrote:
26 Jan 2021
Perhaps it's a reworked and rebranded Allihooper (cough, cough).
Could have spent those resources making Folder Tracks in sequencer. Reason would have been better for it.

False Mirror

26 Jan 2021

So what do we know so far..?
* Reason+ is an upcoming subscription-based service.
* It features an companion app that can be disabled.
* Based on the package name of the companion app, the RS project name is "nautilus".
* On MacOS, Reason includes an icon file "Reason+ Packs Container.icns", so you can load/store some "Reason+ Packs Container" files.
icon.png
icon.png (1.56 KiB) Viewed 3105 times

antic604

26 Jan 2021

rexbrewer wrote:
26 Jan 2021
...They have just named it + because they will switch from a numbered version and just update + over and over again.
Which wouldn't make sense if it wasn't a subscription because that would necessitate free upgrades for life, which won't happen unless you're Apple. Image Line (FL dev) is already dropping VST versions of their plugins, likely because they can't afford the development anymore.
Music tech enthusiast.
DAW, VST & hardware hoarder.
My "music": https://soundcloud.com/antic604

SoundObjects

26 Jan 2021

Was promise my self not to participate in thise Reason+ guesses - but anyway here is my guess :roll:

The reason it will be presented on a live stream is to demonstrate its function to collaborate
music ideas with one or more users on the net. Thus it also need a kind of subscription and a installed driver.
Maybe the idea originated during these corona times. :)
The Universe Is Vibrating

Yonatan

26 Jan 2021

Is this some sort of collaboration service to work with other Reason users via a web based version of Reason? Might be to stretch it too far, anyway nice to see what has been cooking at the RS headquarter.
Last edited by Yonatan on 26 Jan 2021, edited 1 time in total.

guitfnky

26 Jan 2021

ahh, the warm glow of speculation...
I write music for good people

https://slowrobot.bandcamp.com/

sashdor80

26 Jan 2021

I guess that it will be something for jamming together worldwide in one project in (nearly) realtime. I think the Companion is the APP which connects all clients. Not more ...

• Information