Use a Comp-01 as a limiter

This forum is for discussing Reason. Questions, answers, ideas, and opinions... all apply.
totjoss

23 Nov 2020

Hey there everyone ! I'm new here, and this is my first post. ;)

I'm actually working on the Reason 1.0 Challenge, but I can't find a way to make the Comp-01 to prevent clipping.
I've set it to max ratio, min attack and release, and varied the threshold - but in any case I see the clipping leds on.

I suppose this is because the MClass limiter has a "4ms Look Ahead" option to analyse the sound before adjusting, but not the Comp-01.
Does anyone would have a clue to prevent clipping with the Reason 1.0 modules only ? In fact I can't hear it, but the leds are still on while I play.

Thanks in advance !
Music composer / Modern Classical, using Reason essentially
https://soundcloud.com/thomasjosseau

veezay
RE Developer

23 Nov 2020

totjoss wrote:
23 Nov 2020
Hey there everyone ! I'm new here, and this is my first post. ;)

I'm actually working on the Reason 1.0 Challenge, but I can't find a way to make the Comp-01 to prevent clipping.
I've set it to max ratio, min attack and release, and varied the threshold - but in any case I see the clipping leds on.

I suppose this is because the MClass limiter has a "4ms Look Ahead" option to analyse the sound before adjusting, but not the Comp-01.
Does anyone would have a clue to prevent clipping with the Reason 1.0 modules only ? In fact I can't hear it, but the leds are still on while I play.

Thanks in advance !
Hi, and welcome! I'm sorta new here myself.

The COMP-01 has a big personality. It's not easy to tame as a compressor, let alone as a limiter, and I've had plenty of time to try. Even with the MClass Maximizer I prefer using its Soft Clip because the actual Limiter sounds too mellow and I don't like how it softens all the transients.

Also having said that, I've never been too stressed about a bit of clipping when it's just a few peaks here and there, especially when it's challenges like this. Try setting your master fader to a point where clipping is just occasional. Some clipping is fine. Don't sweat it. If you can't hear anything wrong with the sound while the loudest part of the song is playing, chances are no one else can either.

Good luck!

Djstarski

23 Nov 2020

The Comp-01 is not a typical compressor . Imo, It does not act the way you would aspect a compressor to act . I find turning the ratio all the way to the right , makes it louder and more aggressive . So i use it to add aggression to a track from time to time . if you use it lightly you may get some positive results out of it . I would love to know what type of compressor it is ? VCA , FET , Opto or even Vari Mu . Maybe it was Propellerheads version of a DBX 160 . Who knows .

veezay
RE Developer

23 Nov 2020

Djstarski wrote:
23 Nov 2020
The Comp-01 is not a typical compressor . Imo, It does not act the way you would aspect a compressor to act . I find turning the ratio all the way to the right , makes it louder and more aggressive . So i use it to add aggression to a track from time to time . if you use it lightly you may get some positive results out of it . I would love to know what type of compressor it is ? VCA , FET , Opto or even Vari Mu . Maybe it was Propellerheads version of a DBX 160 . Who knows .
I suspect the idea of the COMP-01 was a cheap (as in easy on the CPU) compressor, whatever worked at the time. They probably weren't going for any specific type of compressor emulation. Cranking the ratio also boosts the output gain, which is probably directly connected to the "auto make-up gain" part of the device. Maybe they didn't want to fit an extra output gain knob in there, so they went with the auto make-up gain solution.

MClass Compressor on the other hand is totally different. It's more controlled, very usable, and I love it.

BRIGGS

23 Nov 2020

Adjust your gain levels so things don't clip. It's old school, but it works.
r11s

totjoss

24 Nov 2020

veezay wrote:
23 Nov 2020
Hi, and welcome! I'm sorta new here myself.

The COMP-01 has a big personality. It's not easy to tame as a compressor, let alone as a limiter, and I've had plenty of time to try. Even with the MClass Maximizer I prefer using its Soft Clip because the actual Limiter sounds too mellow and I don't like how it softens all the transients.

Also having said that, I've never been too stressed about a bit of clipping when it's just a few peaks here and there, especially when it's challenges like this. Try setting your master fader to a point where clipping is just occasional. Some clipping is fine. Don't sweat it. If you can't hear anything wrong with the sound while the loudest part of the song is playing, chances are no one else can either.

Good luck!
Thank you for the explaination ! I'll let some clipping then if it's not that bad, I can't hear it with my headphones so it'd probably be fine.
BRIGGS wrote:
23 Nov 2020
Adjust your gain levels so things don't clip. It's old school, but it works.
Alright, I'll adjust that but I still want a decent output volume, so as quoted before I'll let some clipping. ;) Thanks !
Music composer / Modern Classical, using Reason essentially
https://soundcloud.com/thomasjosseau

• Information