Comping multi mic takes

This forum is for discussing Reason. Questions, answers, ideas, and opinions... all apply.
pepe444

Post 22 Nov 2020

I believe this is not possible in Reason 11 but is there a way to make comps of a multi mic´ed instrument in Reason ?
I have 3 microphones on the acoustic guitar and need to make a comp out of it, one by one is unpractical ..
Thanks

madmacman

Post 22 Nov 2020

Assuming, the 3 microphone recordings are on separate tracks? Then maybe this info might help you:

viewtopic.php?t=7495050

But try it with copies of your recordings! ;)

pepe444

Post 22 Nov 2020

Thanks for your reply.
Read the post you indicated, that is not the point. i have 3 armed tracks , ready to record a few guitar takes of one passage. After all takes are done i want to make a comp out of it. If i join the tracks into a single track i loose all the purpose of recording an acoustic instrument with multiple microphones. joining the clips is not an option.

Creating copies of the recording is not too for the same exact reason.
When you place a microphone close to the bridge it doesnt have the same sound of the microphone of the body, for example. Thats why sometimes you do multi microphone on a single instrument.
Being able to link channels , link edits and linking comp editing on multiple tracks is so important. I´ve been digging it this case all afternoon and found that reason is not good at this. The only option was to bounce a stereo track and record the live instruments on another daw...
Sad that a 500€ software is not able of simple and basic recording and editing things.

madmacman

Post 22 Nov 2020

Ok, sorry. Seems like I didn’t get what you want to achieve.

buddard
RE Developer

Post 22 Nov 2020

pepe444 wrote:
22 Nov 2020
I believe this is not possible in Reason 11 but is there a way to make comps of a multi mic´ed instrument in Reason ?
I have 3 microphones on the acoustic guitar and need to make a comp out of it, one by one is unpractical ..
Thanks
Not possible right now, I'm afraid.

This is one of my biggest remaining gripes with Reason. I think it would be awesome if they could introduce some kind of group/folder tracks that you can edit as a single track, including comp edit!

What I've done so far is to record the guitar with 2 mics, and then pan them hard left/right so I can comp them as a single stereo track, and then route each side to a separate channel in the mixer. It's not ideal, but it works.

But this kind of workaround won't help you if you want to comp takes of a complete drum kit, of course...

pepe444

Post 22 Nov 2020

buddard wrote:
22 Nov 2020
pepe444 wrote:
22 Nov 2020
Thanks
Not possible right now, I'm afraid.

This is one of my biggest remaining gripes with Reason. I think it would be awesome if they could introduce some kind of group/folder tracks that you can edit as a single track, including comp edit!

What I've done so far is to record the guitar with 2 mics, and then pan them hard left/right so I can comp them as a single stereo track, and then route each side to a separate channel in the mixer. It's not ideal, but it works.

But this kind of workaround won't help you if you want to comp takes of a complete drum kit, of course...
Exactly. This needs to be improved.
Thanks for all your replies.

• Information