I really would like to stay with Reason & Digitial Performer Opinions....

This forum is for discussing Reason. Questions, answers, ideas, and opinions... all apply.
dannyF

16 Nov 2020

Getting tired of waiting for Reason to catch up. Basic things are missing from Reason like track folders and clip launching.

Its why I have not upgraded from 10.

I recently got a hold of Digital Performer Lite from my MOTU 128 midi interface.
It has track folders and an awesome implemention of clip launching....has a visible queue system, easy to use unlike Bitwig and Abelton ( for me ).

I remember using Reason when Abelton came out years ago... sort of wished it had clips.

Reason should have had clips one year later.

And here we are now, what 10 years later......... Clips in Abelton, BitWig and now Logic & Digital Performer.... maybe even Cubase ( not sure ).

But obviously since I'm new to DP there are going to be things that I find frustrating to do. Does anyone have extensive experience with DP and can share their experiences with it and how it relates to their experience with Reason?

My heart is still with Reason..... always hoping it weill catch up in at least one of the above areas.......but it feels like Reason doesn't care. Getting tired of new Rack Extensions all the time when the core product is being ignored.

geronimo

16 Nov 2020

At home, ReasonRack mono version don't mount with MOTU Digital Performer 10 .
I don't know if this is resolved _ :oops:

guitfnky

16 Nov 2020

I recorded my band’s first full-length on Digital Performer. it’s a very good, very DEEP DAW, but I left it for Reason because it was really way more difficult to use than it needed to be (routing and setting up the metronome are particularly unintuitive).

I decided to grab DP10 and give it another shot after Reason 11 was released, and ran into issues running it on PC right out of the gate (I’d previously used it on a Macbook, with no issues). submitted a ticket to their support, and it went completely ignored. a couple of months later, I tried again, and it started working again (must have been a Windows update problem), and I was finally able to try refamiliarizing myself with it. it’s fun—or was for me, anyway—a lot of it may have been nostalgia. the takeaway for me though is, while it’s WAY more powerful than Reason, it’s nowhere near as inspiring to use, even with the RRP. also, the performance wasn’t as good as I’d hoped, which is important for me, since I tend to have a lot of tracks and/or effects.

ultimately, I came back to Reason for my main work, because that inspiration factor is by far the most important thing for me.

MOTU have put out some good how-to vids on youtube this year that should get you up to speed on some of the bigger features pretty quickly (even though they are long videos).

also, for whatever it’s worth, MOTU customer support is garbage, and their forums seem to be filled with bitter, unhelpful people (it used to be a great community, as I recall).
I write music for good people

https://slowrobot.bandcamp.com/

TritoneAddiction
Competition Winner

16 Nov 2020

Well there's always the Reason Rack plugin.

Honestly I would either just accept Reason where it's at and let go of any specific upgrade expectations. Accept it's current state with all it's flaws and get on with it.
Or just switch DAW if they seem like an overall better choice. Totally understandable if certain things are very important to you.
The cycle of getting your hopes up for every upgrade and then having them squashed over and over again, seems way more frustrating than just accepting Reason for what is NOW.

Anyway that's my take on it.

diminished
Competition Winner

16 Nov 2020

TritoneAddiction wrote:
16 Nov 2020

The cycle of getting your hopes up for every upgrade and then having them squashed over and over again, seems way more frustrating than just accepting Reason for what is NOW.
100% agreed. However, let's not forget that there are different stages of grief. I'm glad I finally arrived at acceptance and switched to Cubase. If they ever manage to get some more money out of me, good for them, but I'm no longer waiting for something that may never come.
:reason: Most recent track: resentment (synthwave) || Others: on my YouTube channel •ᴗ•

dannyF

16 Nov 2020

diminished wrote:
16 Nov 2020
TritoneAddiction wrote:
16 Nov 2020

100% agreed. However, let's not forget that there are different stages of grief. I'm glad I finally arrived at acceptance and switched to Cubase. If they ever manage to get some more money out of me, good for them, but I'm no longer waiting for something that may never come.
Does Cubase have clip laucher? ( like Abelton, bitwig etc ) ?

diminished
Competition Winner

16 Nov 2020

dannyF wrote:
16 Nov 2020
diminished wrote:
16 Nov 2020

nnnnyyyaa. there's the arranger track.
:reason: Most recent track: resentment (synthwave) || Others: on my YouTube channel •ᴗ•

QVprod

16 Nov 2020

Good thing about Reason 11 is you use it wherever you want. For feature requests like Clip launching, IMHO especially now with the rack plugin, if that's an important feature to you, you should use a DAW that already adapts to that workflow. There's no guarantee that Reason will ever implement any feature, let alone a feature that's a marquee workflow for a different program. Granted, Logic and Digital performer have now implemented it, but I don't suspect that every DAW will copy Ableton.

dannyF

16 Nov 2020

diminished wrote:
16 Nov 2020
dannyF wrote:
16 Nov 2020

nnnnyyyaa. there's the arranger track.
That's really cool. I can get an upgrade price for Cubase so that's another thing I'm potentially looking at. Thanks for sharing.

dannyF

16 Nov 2020

But, I will hold on for 12 with fingers crossed for clip launching. I really would prefer to stay in Reason domain.

In the meantime DP lite was free for me...... so I will explore that.

Boombastix
Competition Winner

16 Nov 2020

I think clip launching in Reason is far far away, if ever. Though they could probably do some form of block launch pretty easily if they wanted, but I'm unsure that would satisfy them who wants Ableton's function.
10% off at Waves with link: https://www.waves.com/r/6gh2b0
Disclaimer - I get 10% as well.

motuscott

17 Nov 2020

I got AudioDesk with my MOTU 828mkII, upgraded to DP.
Deep. Much too deep for my reptile brain.
I tried, I really did but then I said f%@k it and bought Reason 4. Still use the 828mkII, great unit.
Who’s using the royal plural now baby? 🧂

dannyF

17 Nov 2020

Reason is still a joy to work with.... I really really hope they make 12 something to remember.

mcatalao
Competition Winner

17 Nov 2020

motuscott wrote:
17 Nov 2020
I got AudioDesk with my MOTU 828mkII, upgraded to DP.
Deep. Much too deep for my reptile brain.
I tried, I really did but then I said f%@k it and bought Reason 4. Still use the 828mkII, great unit.
I've worked with Motu half a life ago! I played a bit with 828's and 24i's, and their devices were great. Pricey but really great. Still you either adapt, make something new or your market will get eaten and MOTU took big hits with new players like Presonus and RME evolved a lot!

motuscott

17 Nov 2020

guitfnky wrote:
16 Nov 2020
also, for whatever it’s worth, MOTU customer support is garbage, and their forums seem to be filled with bitter, unhelpful people (it used to be a great community, as I recall).
Shooshie and Magic Dave were golden, but yeah there was some anger there I don't miss
Who’s using the royal plural now baby? 🧂

geronimo

05 Dec 2020

Actually, when I have many instances of Reason Rack (AU version), Digital Performer can't seem to quit; one is obliged to force him to leave.
This only happens with those Projects containing these instances of Reason Rack.
And still unable to open the mono version of Reason Rack: already reported but still the same situation.

scotward57

05 Dec 2020

I know what you mean. I bought Logic Pro earlier this year, thinking I would use RRP a lot. But a lot of Logic instruments sound as good or better than a stacked up combinator. And once Apple announced their silicon chip MacBooks and Mac Minis, that can run several hundred tracks/plug-ins without breaking a sweat, I can only imagine using Reason less, not more. It saddens me because Reason will always hold a special place in my heart.

iamthor4

05 Dec 2020

TritoneAddiction wrote:
16 Nov 2020
Well there's always the Reason Rack plugin.

Honestly I would either just accept Reason where it's at and let go of any specific upgrade expectations. Accept it's current state with all it's flaws and get on with it.
Or just switch DAW if they seem like an overall better choice. Totally understandable if certain things are very important to you.

Anyway that's my take on it.
sound like when i watch england play at the world cup 😂

• Information