Disk overload again

This forum is for discussing Reason. Questions, answers, ideas, and opinions... all apply.
calebbrennan

30 Sep 2020

Disk Overload
I’m only doing 16 stems and 4 RE’s
I’ve done this many tracks before on Reason 10 and not had an issue but I’m hearing dropouts in the audio
I read the link below several times but it was long ago and I’m using SSD’s now and don’t save data to my Cdrive but to an external SSD about 70% full,
viewtopic.php?t=7482775
I did trouble shoot it to a SSD only 10% and I still got disk overload
It would be easy to blame it on my measly 4GB but It occurs even with a song track with only 225 MB
Thanks

Win 10
Intel core duo E8500 316 ghz
4GB

C drive SSD 500 Gig Seagate
SSD H 931 G
SSD F 2 TB
Drive E 500 G
Drive G 500 G

Any help is appreciated in advance

Caleb

Loque

30 Sep 2020

How fast (real, not theoretically) is your external SSD and has the loading and processing of the audio clips been finished?
Reason12, Win10

calebbrennan

30 Sep 2020

5400 rpm
loading process completed using the calculator meter in lower right corner

Heigen5

01 Oct 2020

I had this problem with one of my songs with 16 stems, even when some of my tracks had even more stems.
I got rid of this problem for that song after I bounced all the stems and replaced them with the new bounced stems.

calebbrennan

04 Oct 2020

thanks Fredrik I 'm now streaming the songs off a 500 gb hard drive
Fred thanks for such a prompt responce

Fredrik (Reason Studios)

Oct 2, 2020, 14:06 GMT+2
Hello,

Disk Overload means that Reason can't read audio data from disk fast enough.
Try moving the song files to the internal drive and see if that solves the problem. It could also be that your hard drive is fragmented, which could cause the read operations to become slower.
Where is your scratch disk folder located, and how much free space do you have on that drive? Try create a folder on a drive where you have plenty of free space, then set this folder to be your scratch disk folder (in Preferences/Advanced).
Also, exclude this folder and the folders where your Reason songs are saved from anti-virus scanning or similar. Any difference?

Also, 4 GB RAM is really absolute minimum, so I would recommend upgrading to 8 or 16 GB.

Best regards,
Fredrik
Product Support
Reason Studios

calebbrennan

04 Oct 2020

Fredrik (Reason Studios)

Oct 2, 2020, 14:06 GMT+2
Hello,

Disk Overload means that Reason can't read audio data from disk fast enough.
Try moving the song files to the internal drive and see if that solves the problem. It could also be that your hard drive is fragmented, which could cause the read operations to become slower.
Where is your scratch disk folder located, and how much free space do you have on that drive? Try create a folder on a drive where you have plenty of free space, then set this folder to be your scratch disk folder (in Preferences/Advanced).
Also, exclude this folder and the folders where your Reason songs are saved from anti-virus scanning or similar. Any difference?

Also, 4 GB RAM is really absolute minimum, so I would recommend upgrading to 8 or 16 GB.

Best regards,
Fredrik
Product Support
Reason Studios

Loque

04 Oct 2020

To complete this tips, here are mine :
* disable virtial memory
* add real RAM
* use SSD on right connection

Never defragmentade a SSD.
Reason12, Win10

EnochLight

04 Oct 2020

Wow - I will never complain about my antiquated 3770K again. OP is getting great mileage out of that Intel core duo E8500!

oooooold.jpg
oooooold.jpg (86.17 KiB) Viewed 671 times
Win 10 | Ableton Live 11 Suite |  Reason 12 | i7 3770k @ 3.5 Ghz | 16 GB RAM | RME Babyface Pro | Akai MPC Live 2 & Akai Force | Roland System 8, MX1, TB3 | Dreadbox Typhon | Korg Minilogue XD

• Information