Lane and track renaming

This forum is for discussing Reason. Questions, answers, ideas, and opinions... all apply.
prophecy

06 Aug 2020

It's probably obvious, and no I couldn't find anything with a cursory search, but why when I'm renaming a lane/track on the Mixer does it not get renamed on my Sequencer, and vice versa?
Is this a setting I can enable? Do you all have differently named Mixer and Sequencer objects to provide a added bonus I haven't thought of?
Reason 10 Lite | Surface Pro 3 i5 | Akai MPK Mini II | Yamaha Clavinova CVP5 | Fingers | Ears |

chimp_spanner

06 Aug 2020

prophecy wrote:
06 Aug 2020
It's probably obvious, and no I couldn't find anything with a cursory search, but why when I'm renaming a lane/track on the Mixer does it not get renamed on my Sequencer, and vice versa?
Is this a setting I can enable? Do you all have differently named Mixer and Sequencer objects to provide a added bonus I haven't thought of?
The general rule is that if you want to rename something everywhere, rename it from the sequencer, or the device name label. The mix channel will automatically update.

If you rename the mix channel directly, this effectively breaks the link between the device/sequencer name and the mix channel name. To re-establish the name link, just double click the mix channel name, hit backspace and then return. You'll see it'll revert to whatever is on the device/seq, and then you can rename from the seq and have it update properly.

It's definitely a bit fiddly and non-intuitive to new (and some old!) users. But once you get it, it'll make sense.

dan_g

06 Aug 2020

chimp_spanner wrote:
06 Aug 2020

It's definitely a bit fiddly and non-intuitive to new (and some old!) users. But once you get it, it'll make sense.
yes, i never found this really intuitive. but its good that its somehow possible to do this.
:reason: :record: :re: :refill: :ignition: - 12 - Hobbyist
minimal techno - deep minimal dubstep - drum 'n' bass/neurofunk - brostep/deathstep - band recording

New Release: https://open.spotify.com/track/5mQ1XEQtZcVeFVfZvcS5kw

prophecy

06 Aug 2020

chimp_spanner wrote:
06 Aug 2020

The general rule is that if you want to rename something everywhere, rename it from the sequencer, or the device name label. The mix channel will automatically update.

If you rename the mix channel directly, this effectively breaks the link between the device/sequencer name and the mix channel name. To re-establish the name link, just double click the mix channel name, hit backspace and then return. You'll see it'll revert to whatever is on the device/seq, and then you can rename from the seq and have it update properly.
Thanks! I've still got so much to learn.
Reason 10 Lite | Surface Pro 3 i5 | Akai MPK Mini II | Yamaha Clavinova CVP5 | Fingers | Ears |

joeyluck

06 Aug 2020

dan_g wrote:
06 Aug 2020
chimp_spanner wrote:
06 Aug 2020

yes, i never found this really intuitive. but its good that its somehow possible to do this.
I think it might be this way because of the limited space in the Mixer label?

For instance, you can have something more descriptive in the Sequencer, but in the Mixer, since it's truncated, you might want something more simple and concise (but not wanting it to change your Sequencer label).

It would be good if there was a Preference that all labels update together regardless...along with an option to sort channels automatically.

dan_g

07 Aug 2020

+1 for that
:reason: :record: :re: :refill: :ignition: - 12 - Hobbyist
minimal techno - deep minimal dubstep - drum 'n' bass/neurofunk - brostep/deathstep - band recording

New Release: https://open.spotify.com/track/5mQ1XEQtZcVeFVfZvcS5kw

chimp_spanner

07 Aug 2020

joeyluck wrote:
06 Aug 2020
dan_g wrote:
06 Aug 2020

For instance, you can have something more descriptive in the Sequencer, but in the Mixer, since it's truncated, you might want something more simple and concise (but not wanting it to change your Sequencer label).

It would be good if there was a Preference that all labels update together regardless...along with an option to sort channels automatically.
Auto-sorting is in my top four must-have features, next to folder tracks, MIDI note chase, and MIDI note preview when selecting/nudging with arrows. Small changes but they'd speed my workflow up ten fold!

esselfortium

07 Aug 2020

joeyluck wrote:
06 Aug 2020
dan_g wrote:
06 Aug 2020

This is probably it. Would be great to have an additional row of text in the mixer labels, though, or at least the ability to shrink text that won't quite fit :puf_wink:
Sarah Mancuso
My music: Future Human

deeplink
Competition Winner

08 Aug 2020

The Lane and track renaming can get a bit fiddly, but I think it works in instances where you want to know which instrument you are using in the sequencer/rack - e.g Growl Bass, Amazon Bass etc. - but on the mixer you are looking at your whole mix overall, so those kinds of labels would be necessary to change to say "Lead, Bass, Sub Bass" etc.

I wouldn't mind seeing some update to the Sequencer though, in my opinion there's a LOT of blank empty space - perhaps some of it can be used to add mixer controls to induvial tracks
Get more Combinators at the deeplink website

• Information