do synths vst or reason stock synths accept audio from other tracks?

This forum is for discussing Reason. Questions, answers, ideas, and opinions... all apply.
samsome

16 May 2020

do synths vst or reason stock synths accept audio from other tracks?

in order to be just processed by their filters etc?

or is this not possible?

i'm not talking about sampling or whatever...just receiving the audio direct/in real time

ShelLuser

16 May 2020

Not necessarily other tracks but... open the rack section, press tab to flip devices around and then check if those have audio inputs (synths like Thor and iirc Komplex do). If they have then you can utilize that. Not necessarily from another track, but definitely by applying some patching.
--- :reason:

samsome

16 May 2020

sorry i can't understand fully

i see that thor has audio inputs and outputs now. If i send audio to it can i use its filters to change the sound? are the connections correct ?thanks! i'm using reason as vst in reaper

ShelLuser

16 May 2020

samsome wrote:
16 May 2020
i see that thor has audio inputs and outputs now. If i send audio to it can i use its filters to change the sound?
Yes. Keep in mind that you will have to use the routing matrix in Thor to set up the right (internal) connections.

And welcome to the Reason patching essentials experience (as I like to call it) ;) Where you learn that you can "abuse" instruments and effects to do something completely different than their original intent. This is one of those things which make Reason such an awesome environment for me.

I can't tell if your connections are correct *. Just make sure to dump audio input into an input channel, set up the routing matrix and connect the audio out. Done.

(edit)

* Meaning: it looks ok to me, but that doesn't say anything. It depends on external sound sources and all that (and the routing matrix) to work.

samsome

16 May 2020

i have no idea what to put in the routing matrix...any hint? I can try figure the rest

should it start with Audio IN1
and AUdio IN2

to whatever?

ShelLuser

16 May 2020

Let's say we want to use the formant filter (I love that critter!) on Thor... Reset the device, click "show programmer" and set Osc 1 (now analog osc) to "Off" (just to be sure) and then set Filter 1 (now low pass ladder) to "Bypass".

Now look at the arrows and think things through... The audio is coming from audio inputs 1 & 2 (we have 4 in total). We want to use a filter. Filter 1 is already receiving a signal from osc 1 (red button). Not an issue if we 'dedicate' Thor for this filtering purpose but otherwise... let's take the other route ;)

Set filter 2 to 'Formant filter'. Now for the routing matrix... input: Audio 1 (aka: Audio in1). Amount: 100%. Destination: Filter 2 audio input ("Fit2 in").

And we're done. (edit): Of course repeat for audio 2 if you want/need a stereo signal.

(edit2): I forgot to mention: enable filter 2's output. The small red arrow button underneath the shaper.

This way you could even use Thor's oscillators and Filter 1 to add to your sound a bit more.

Hope this can help ;)
Last edited by ShelLuser on 16 May 2020, edited 1 time in total.

Reasonable man

16 May 2020

samsome wrote:
16 May 2020
i have no idea what to put in the routing matrix...any hint? I can try figure the rest

should it start with Audio IN1
and AUdio IN2

to whatever?
If You wanrt to use the filter and scale the filter with the global envelope its .....
audio 1 100 - filt3 left in Scale 100 Global env
audio 2 -100- filt 3 right in scale 100 global env

Switch off osc 1

ShelLuser

16 May 2020

Filter 3 also works like a charm, indeed, I prefer using 1 and 2 though because of the shaper and/or amplifier which can help enhance the sound a bit.

samsome

16 May 2020

thanks ShelLuser!

thanks Reasonable man! i'll follow these steps! much appreciated

Reasonable man

16 May 2020

ShelLuser wrote:
16 May 2020
Let's say we want to use the formant filter (I love that critter!) on Thor... Reset the device, click "show programmer" and set Osc 1 (now analog osc) to "Off" (just to be sure) and then set Filter 1 (now low pass ladder) to "Bypass".

Now look at the arrows and think things through... The audio is coming from audio inputs 1 & 2 (we have 4 in total). We want to use a filter. Filter 1 is already receiving a signal from osc 1 (red button). Not an issue if we 'dedicate' Thor for this filtering purpose but otherwise... let's take the other route ;)

Set filter 2 to 'Formant filter'. Now for the routing matrix... input: Audio 1 (aka: Audio in1). Amount: 100%. Destination: Filter 2 audio input ("Fit2 in").

And we're done. (edit): Of course repeat for audio 2 if you want/need a stereo signal.

(edit2): I forgot to mention: enable filter 2's output. The small red arrow button underneath the shaper.

This way you could even use Thor's oscillators and Filter 1 to add to your sound a bit more.

Hope this can help ;)
Yip i didn't see your post (you got there ahead of me ha ha). Yea you can indeed take audio through filter 1 or 2 or both .... instead of filter 3. Its been a while since i've done it that way but i always remember having to switch the step secuencer on to do it this way and having it set the sequencer to at least 1 step for it to work that way (to activate the amp gate). I'm a lazy man so... i'm not going to check but yea its a good way to use the shaper using filt 1 or 2 instead of 3

samsome

17 May 2020

i'm back to square one i've been trying all the methods above......

i'm using filter 1 in this case

as you can see on top AUDIO IN and AUDIO OUT show signal so it seems ok...

but the filter has no effect on the sound when i change it

am i doing anything wrong here

also here's the back routing

samsome

17 May 2020

ok this is working i think!!! i heard the effect from the filter......just improving on it now, much appreciated

Reasonable man

17 May 2020

samsome wrote:
17 May 2020
ok this is working i think!!! i heard the effect from the filter......just improving on it now, much appreciated

theres no need for the 'audio 1' out and 'audio 2' 'out 'entries in the 2nd row of the mod matrix bossman. The audio is already going out . Delete those 'audio out' entries in destination 2 in the matrix and instead insert '100 global envelope' in the 'Scale' section of the matrix (last row) for those two entries so you are scaling the filter with an envelope ....then adust the decay , sustain and release of the global envelope to taste.
I think i wrote this entry a few posts up anyway...... you dont even have to use the global envelope if you dont want to as a scaler ...the way you have it now works just fine

'Audio out' entries are only really for when your converting cv to audio or using the global envelope as pseudo sidechaining method which is complicated to explain .

Reasonable man

17 May 2020

This dude i guess might be doing something similar to what your trying now.

Anything to do with thor or using reason's stock intruments... this guy has you covered .. I'm pretty sure that these videos may have been a paid course at one time but they now seem to be free.
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC7beuF ... hei2z3oEQA

Thor is a pain in the ass to learn , but the advantage of getting to know it is that Europa, parsec and grain's mod matrix will seem like a holiday afterwards..... beacuase their mod matrix's are all based on thor's. Also if you have any old reason refills and go through them ..you's prob find that they are riddled with thors that are only being used as audio/cv routing devices. Also as live perforamace tool ..you will need thor's buttons and rotaries probably to do all sorts of stuff!
Because thor lacks a unison you will often need to attach a unison device to it to fill out the sound or use two instances of it in a mixer panned left and right so that it matches the sound of more modern synths .

samsome

18 May 2020

Reasonable man wrote:
17 May 2020
samsome wrote:
17 May 2020

theres no need for the 'audio 1' out and 'audio 2' 'out 'entries in the 2nd row of the mod matrix bossman. The audio is already going out . Delete those 'audio out' entries in destination 2 in the matrix and instead insert '100 global envelope' in the 'Scale' section of the matrix (last row) for those two entries so you are scaling the filter with an envelope ....then adust the decay , sustain and release of the global envelope to taste.
I think i wrote this entry a few posts up anyway...... you dont even have to use the global envelope if you dont want to as a scaler ...the way you have it now works just fine

'Audio out' entries are only really for when your converting cv to audio or using the global envelope as pseudo sidechaining method which is complicated to explain .

the reason for audio out is because i'm using Reason as a VST inside Reaper..........if thats still wrong please let me know

i'll also look at the video as soon i find some good time...thanks

ShelLuser

19 May 2020

samsome wrote:
18 May 2020
the reason for audio out is because i'm using Reason as a VST inside Reaper..........if thats still wrong please let me know
It's not necessarily wrong, just not needed. See, thing is that audio already travels out of Thor, even without the routing rule.

As a rule of thumb: you only need the matrix if you want to do something out of the ordinary (like in your case dumping incoming audio directly onto the filter). Or if you took a red pill I guess (sorry, sorry... Could't resist that one).

In any other case you can rely on the default routing.

• Information