A Severe Bone To Pick With Reason Studios

This forum is for discussing Reason. Questions, answers, ideas, and opinions... all apply.
kitekrazy

04 May 2020

Few have any loyalty type thing. Image Line gives you a discount to their bundles. Waves and Melda has something. The one that really gets me is Magix Software. They want you to pony up $99 for Acid Pro 10 upgrade. The previous version was Acid 9.0.3

I always look for sales on upgrades. This only happened once with Reason.

Ulpu

04 May 2020

Hmm... I think there was sale on upgrade in last year's April maybe? And before that I remember someone mentioned upgrade was on sale in December... So the Reason upgrade seems to been in discounted at least couple of times (I think it was 99e in the sale, normally 129e).

antic604

04 May 2020

Loque wrote:
04 May 2020
antic604 wrote:
04 May 2020

Not to mention that PP is quite something, right? ;)
PP? All those abbreviations...
Weren't you talking about voucher from kiloHearts, the devs of PhasePlant? :)
Music tech enthusiast.
DAW, VST & hardware hoarder.
My "music": https://soundcloud.com/antic604

dvdrtldg

04 May 2020

OverneathTheSkyBridg wrote:
04 May 2020
What kind of things do you use Torsion for?
Atmospheres, drones, textures and sound design mostly. I have an abstract/experimental music project and Torsion fits into that sort of environment very nicely. Haven't tried to program it like a regular synth or make it jump through particular hoops. I just start dicking around with it and will often base an entire track on the results, it's very inspiring. Granular processing often has a characteristic sonic signature which I don't always like, but Torsion can get you way beyond that. It's been getting a lot of use lately, along with iZotope Iris

Loque

05 May 2020

antic604 wrote:
04 May 2020
Loque wrote:
04 May 2020

PP? All those abbreviations...
Weren't you talking about voucher from kiloHearts, the devs of PhasePlant? :)
;)
Reason12, Win10

ShelLuser

05 May 2020

If you purchase a license for MS Office, which will cost you a few hundred, then you got Office. When the next version hits, guess what's going to happen?

If you want the new version you'll have to cough up yet another few hundred.

So now stop and think how Reason Studio's does this... Who said existing customers don't get any rewards?
--- :reason:

Boombastix
Competition Winner

05 May 2020

ShelLuser wrote:
05 May 2020
If you purchase a license for MS Office, which will cost you a few hundred, then you got Office. When the next version hits, guess what's going to happen?

So now stop and think how Reason Studio's does this... Who said existing customers don't get any rewards?
There is a big difference though. Microsoft supports the old version for years with bug updates.

Reason Studios abandons the previous version immediately leaving the old version with all the glory bugs for the users to enjoy.
10% off at Waves with link: https://www.waves.com/r/6gh2b0
Disclaimer - I get 10% as well.

Re8et
Competition Winner

05 May 2020

Boombastix wrote:
05 May 2020
ShelLuser wrote:
05 May 2020

There is a big difference though. Microsoft supports the old version for years with bug updates.

Reason Studios abandons the previous version immediately leaving the old version with all the glory bugs for the users to enjoy.
But you can still download a previous version of Reason if you got the licence key....

Try to make a windows XP key for an old laptop now in 2020.....

w1pl0c

05 May 2020

I bought 4, 7 (upgrade), 9 (upgrade), 10 (upgrade), 11 (suite). Lotta dough, yeah. Lotta fun, yeah. Keep innovating and I will keep supporting, and vice versa. #Combinator2gang

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Reason_(s ... )#Overview

kitekrazy

06 May 2020

Ulpu wrote:
04 May 2020
Hmm... I think there was sale on upgrade in last year's April maybe? And before that I remember someone mentioned upgrade was on sale in December... So the Reason upgrade seems to been in discounted at least couple of times (I think it was 99e in the sale, normally 129e).
I musta missed it. I keep my eye open daily for a price reduction.

avasopht
Competition Winner

06 May 2020

Re8et wrote:
05 May 2020

But you can still download a previous version of Reason if you got the licence key....

Try to make a windows XP key for an old laptop now in 2020.....
New versions of Reason come out roughly every 18 months.

XP was supported with bug fixes until 2019 (18 years). And developers can still release new products and updates for Windows XP.

If you bought Microsoft Office back in 2007, you can still use it today without any major issues.

In Reason, I don't even think you can open Combinator patches from newer versions of Reason. Not even if they use devices you have. Ditto for file saves. It doesn't even offer a potentially slightly buggy compatibility export.

And to add, it has vendor lock-in.

if you purchased £2,000 worth of VSTs you can happily migrate it to another DAW. Not so with Refills and REs. Not even sample only Refills. They're locked to Reason and there's nothing legit out there that can open them.

I can see how a little buyer's remorse can kick in. Especially if migrating means you have to do away with everything you purchased and start again from scratch.

Personally, my non-Reason stuff has got a fair amount of parity with my Refills. I'd be missing quite a lot if I left Reason, but I've got all the core fundamentals covered in VSTs, and vendor-free sample libraries & patches.
--

As for the sentiments of the OP; I get it. Seems he feels like ReasonStudios doesn't value their customers and treat them as well as other DAW vendors do.

I wouldn't call it greedy, just imperceptive of the changes in corporate culture from around 2014 ish. Their relationship with customers has changed, and you have to factor that into what you let fly by you when making a purchase.

Re8et
Competition Winner

06 May 2020

avasopht wrote:
06 May 2020

As for the sentiments of the OP; I get it. Seems he feels like ReasonStudios doesn't value their customers and treat them as well as other DAW vendors do.

I wouldn't call it greedy, just imperceptive of the changes in corporate culture from around 2014 ish. Their relationship with customers has changed, and you have to factor that into what you let fly by you when making a purchase.

I like to think about it in a circular motion. Like In Japan they have two gods, four years they worship one, which boosts economy, and the next another, which boosts agriculture.

I guess it's going economy this time the curve. I hope they can too understand this changing focus mentality.
Now it's time to cover AAX, replace rewire, do stuff that should attract more customers.

Maybe 2022 will be the year the curve will reverse. :?:

joeyluck

06 May 2020

avasopht wrote:
06 May 2020
And to add, it has vendor lock-in.

if you purchased £2,000 worth of VSTs you can happily migrate it to another DAW. Not so with Refills and REs. Not even sample only Refills. They're locked to Reason and there's nothing legit out there that can open them.

I can see how a little buyer's remorse can kick in. Especially if migrating means you have to do away with everything you purchased and start again from scratch.
Have you not heard about the Reason Rack Plugin? It's pretty legit :)

• Information