disable selecting all notes in row when piano roll double click occurs

This forum is for discussing Propellerhead's music software. Questions, answers, ideas, and opinions... all apply.
User avatar
dusan.cani
Posts: 216
Joined: 16 Oct 2018
Location: Slovakia

Post 06 Apr 2020

If I preview notes by double clicking on piano roll, all the notes in the corresponding row are selected.

As the result, I have to clear that automatic selection before I work with notes every time after piano roll preview.

This is quite bothering and I don't understand what logic is behind this.

Is it possible to disable this automatic note selection ? I haven't found any option for this in the preferences.

User avatar
Loque
Posts: 7244
Joined: 28 Dec 2015

Post 06 Apr 2020

I like that feature. I use it for separating drum tracks (ofc i would like to see a feature a la "separate all to individual lanes"). I thought it was with a modifier key only, maybe i was wrong.
:reason: 11, Win10 64Bit.

User avatar
Electric-Metal
Posts: 602
Joined: 10 Dec 2015
Location: Landstuhl, Germany

Post 06 Apr 2020

dusan.cani wrote:
06 Apr 2020


This is quite bothering and I don't understand what logic is behind this.
Well, the logic behind this is to select all notes in a row with a double click, and it's a very handy feature, IMHO.
:?: The question is - Who cares :?:

PhillipOrdonez
Posts: 1016
Joined: 20 Oct 2017
Location: Colombia

Post 06 Apr 2020

Super handy for me as well.

User avatar
antic604
Posts: 100
Joined: 02 Apr 2020

Post 06 Apr 2020

dusan.cani wrote:
06 Apr 2020
If I preview notes by double clicking on piano roll
There's an option in settings to preview notes when clicking - do you have it enabled? I don't remember having to double click to hear the note?
Bitwig 3 // Reason 11 // Studio One 4 Pro @ Lenovo Y730 15'' i7-8750h
my music - https://soundcloud.com/antic604

User avatar
dusan.cani
Posts: 216
Joined: 16 Oct 2018
Location: Slovakia

Post 06 Apr 2020

Electric-Metal wrote:
06 Apr 2020
dusan.cani wrote:
06 Apr 2020


This is quite bothering and I don't understand what logic is behind this.
Well, the logic behind this is to select all notes in a row with a double click, and it's a very handy feature, IMHO.
Select all notes in a row is OK, but why through the piano roll ? It doesn't make sense. This featre is unrelated to funcionality of piano roll. I use piano roll for playing melodies, it has no logic that it acts also as trigger for auto selecting notes at the same time.

For "select all notes in a row" there should be a click + [some assigned key] on the particular note to select all sibling notes.

Just my opinion :)
Last edited by dusan.cani on 06 Apr 2020, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
dusan.cani
Posts: 216
Joined: 16 Oct 2018
Location: Slovakia

Post 06 Apr 2020

antic604 wrote:
06 Apr 2020
dusan.cani wrote:
06 Apr 2020
If I preview notes by double clicking on piano roll
There's an option in settings to preview notes when clicking - do you have it enabled? I don't remember having to double click to hear the note?
Yes, but I am talking about clicking on piano roll - not when inserting notes in the sequencer grid.

User avatar
dusan.cani
Posts: 216
Joined: 16 Oct 2018
Location: Slovakia

Post 06 Apr 2020

Loque wrote:
06 Apr 2020
I use it for separating drum tracks
Honestly, I don't understand how do you mean this...could you please show the scenario with animated GIF ?

User avatar
Aquila
Posts: 502
Joined: 21 Jan 2015

Post 06 Apr 2020

I agree it's a handy feature, but like OP I feel the execution is an annoyance. Just like if I accidentally double-click on a note it gets deleted.

As a workaround I've adjusted my mouse settings so that the double click is the shortest practical time, to reduce any accidental double clicks.

User avatar
guitfnky
Posts: 1921
Joined: 19 Jan 2015

Post 06 Apr 2020

dusan.cani wrote:
06 Apr 2020
Electric-Metal wrote:
06 Apr 2020


Well, the logic behind this is to select all notes in a row with a double click, and it's a very handy feature, IMHO.
Select all notes in a row is OK, but why through the piano roll ? It doesn't make sense. This featre is unrelated to funcionality of piano roll. I use piano roll for playing melodies, it has no logic that it acts also as trigger for auto selecting notes at the same time.

For "select all notes in a row" there should be a click + [some assigned key] on the particular note to select all sibling notes.

Just my opinion :)
it makes perfect sense. if you need to shift all C notes to a C#, for instance, because of a key change, or some other reason, it’s handy to be able to select all those C notes simultaneously, without having to zoom out and use the lasso tool. double click the roll, grab one of the selected notes, and drag it up a half step, and you’re done.

if you just want to hear the note, all you have to do is click once. not sure why you think you need to double click.

User avatar
joeyluck
Moderator
Posts: 6882
Joined: 15 Jan 2015

Post 06 Apr 2020

dusan.cani wrote:
06 Apr 2020
Electric-Metal wrote:
06 Apr 2020


Well, the logic behind this is to select all notes in a row with a double click, and it's a very handy feature, IMHO.
Select all notes in a row is OK, but why through the piano roll ? It doesn't make sense. This featre is unrelated to funcionality of piano roll. I use piano roll for playing melodies, it has no logic that it acts also as trigger for auto selecting notes at the same time.

For "select all notes in a row" there should be a click + [some assigned key] on the particular note to select all sibling notes.

Just my opinion :)
Maybe you should be using the on-screen keys to play melodies?

User avatar
dusan.cani
Posts: 216
Joined: 16 Oct 2018
Location: Slovakia

Post 06 Apr 2020

guitfnky wrote:
06 Apr 2020

if you just want to hear the note, all you have to do is click once. not sure why you think you need to double click.
joeyluck wrote:
06 Apr 2020

Maybe you should be using the on-screen keys to play melodies?
I like piano roll for playing melodies while I am editing notes in grid. I use it also for recording sequences in this case. I've thought that this is the main purpose of piano roll - to trigger or play notes (and record them), not use it as editing tool :mrgreen:

User avatar
joeyluck
Moderator
Posts: 6882
Joined: 15 Jan 2015

Post 06 Apr 2020

dusan.cani wrote:
06 Apr 2020
guitfnky wrote:
06 Apr 2020

if you just want to hear the note, all you have to do is click once. not sure why you think you need to double click.
joeyluck wrote:
06 Apr 2020

Maybe you should be using the on-screen keys to play melodies?
I like piano roll for playing melodies while I am editing notes in grid. I use it also for recording sequences in this case. I've thought that this is the main purpose of piano roll - to trigger or play notes (and record them), not use it as editing tool :mrgreen:
I would say the piano roll is mostly for quick reference and editing. Anything beyond that, the on-screen keys might serve you better.

Hit F4, Choose 'Mouse' keys, and then you can resize them however if you like (vertically and horizontally). I can't imagine trying to play melodies by clicking the small piano roll keys is all that great anyways.

User avatar
guitfnky
Posts: 1921
Joined: 19 Jan 2015

Post 06 Apr 2020

dusan.cani wrote:
06 Apr 2020
guitfnky wrote:
06 Apr 2020

if you just want to hear the note, all you have to do is click once. not sure why you think you need to double click.
joeyluck wrote:
06 Apr 2020

Maybe you should be using the on-screen keys to play melodies?
I like piano roll for playing melodies while I am editing notes in grid. I use it also for recording sequences in this case. I've thought that this is the main purpose of piano roll - to trigger or play notes (and record them), not use it as editing tool :mrgreen:
the basic point of the piano roll view is specifically for editing. it’s not built to be used as a performance tool. that’s what keyboard controllers are for.

User avatar
dusan.cani
Posts: 216
Joined: 16 Oct 2018
Location: Slovakia

Post 06 Apr 2020

Yes of course, I know there is floating window with keys...

Well, different people have different approaches ;)

User avatar
dusan.cani
Posts: 216
Joined: 16 Oct 2018
Location: Slovakia

Post 06 Apr 2020

guitfnky wrote:
06 Apr 2020
dusan.cani wrote:
06 Apr 2020




I like piano roll for playing melodies while I am editing notes in grid. I use it also for recording sequences in this case. I've thought that this is the main purpose of piano roll - to trigger or play notes (and record them), not use it as editing tool :mrgreen:
the basic point of the piano roll view is specifically for editing. it’s not built to be used as a performance tool. that’s what keyboard controllers are for.
But you don't use it directly for editing (except that "auto select" feature which I've never seen with any other piano rolls) . It is for visual guidance while editing or for direct note triggering. Which piano roll does have any other functionalities except Reason ? I am curious.

User avatar
selig
Moderator
Posts: 8456
Joined: 15 Jan 2015
Location: The NorthWoods

Post 06 Apr 2020

dusan.cani wrote:
06 Apr 2020
If I preview notes by double clicking on piano roll, all the notes in the corresponding row are selected.
Let me stop you right there - to preview notes you click ONCE on the note in the "piano roll". That's a different function, accessed with a different keystroke. It's the difference between a single click and a double click. Probably already know this, just making sure we're on the same page here.

While it's easy enough to avoid double clicking too quickly, I DO see your point - ideally you should have to use a modifier key to select all notes, I totally agree.

It's odd to me that to SELECT (all notes the same value) you "double click", and to DELETE (a single note) you ALSO "double-click". IMO, selecting and deleting should be as different from each other as possible, and should never use the same "gesture" as the other. Meaning, if a double-click "deletes" an object in one part of the UI, it should also "delete" that same object in any other part. I consider this to be basic UI "consistency", which I realize is more difficult to maintain in an older product as new features (and thus new key commands) are added. But still, these are the types of "little things" that bug me in Reason, all based on "consistency" across the UI. :)
Selig Audio, LLC

User avatar
joeyluck
Moderator
Posts: 6882
Joined: 15 Jan 2015

Post 06 Apr 2020

dusan.cani wrote:
06 Apr 2020
guitfnky wrote:
06 Apr 2020


the basic point of the piano roll view is specifically for editing. it’s not built to be used as a performance tool. that’s what keyboard controllers are for.
But you don't use it directly for editing (except that "auto select" feature which I've never seen with any other piano rolls) . It is for visual guidance while editing or for direct note triggering. Which piano roll does have any other functionalities except Reason ? I am curious.
I just checked both Bitwig and Logic.

I don't know if there are hidden preferences in either that I haven't encountered, but by default both don't even record notes played on the piano roll. And a single click selects all for that note.

User avatar
joeyluck
Moderator
Posts: 6882
Joined: 15 Jan 2015

Post 06 Apr 2020

So I guess some may even argue Reason is lagging in workflow speed when it takes two clicks to select all for the same note, rather than one click like other DAWs...

User avatar
Loque
Posts: 7244
Joined: 28 Dec 2015

Post 06 Apr 2020

dusan.cani wrote:
06 Apr 2020
Loque wrote:
06 Apr 2020
I use it for separating drum tracks
Honestly, I don't understand how do you mean this...could you please show the scenario with animated GIF ?
Lets think you put a Kong into Reason and start editing your drums in the sequencer. In 90% of all cases i edit just one sequencer lane and all drums are in that lane/clip. This is pretty anyoing, if i want to easily mute, change or just handle a drum instrument separately. Think like separating kick, snare, hihats, percussion into thair own midi lane/clip.

To do this, i simple double click the note/drum instrument in the sequencer note view/piano roll/whatever and select "extract to sequencer lane" in the pop up menu. Since i want to have all in their own lane, i need to repeat this for all notes/instruments.

And after that i need to do this if i want my own mix channels too, but this is another story...
:reason: 11, Win10 64Bit.

User avatar
dusan.cani
Posts: 216
Joined: 16 Oct 2018
Location: Slovakia

Post 06 Apr 2020

In Reaper, it's also possible to record notes directly by piano roll triggering. How it works in Cubase ?

For me, it is super handy feature when I am editing/building melodies. I have some "work in progress" notes and in this time If I want just add some simple fills to it, I just record piano roll triggering. For me it's often a lot more faster and fun instead of always insert every note manually. I know I could use midi keyboard controller for this (or onscreen keys) but in certain state of composition I simply like to tune my editing with this approach.

User avatar
joeyluck
Moderator
Posts: 6882
Joined: 15 Jan 2015

Post 06 Apr 2020

dusan.cani wrote:
06 Apr 2020
In Reaper, it's also possible to record notes directly by piano roll triggering. How it works in Cubase ?

For me, it is super handy feature when I am editing/building melodies. I have some "work in progress" notes and in this time If I want just add some simple fills to it, I just record piano roll triggering. For me it's often a lot more faster and fun instead of always insert every note manually. I know I could use midi keyboard controller for this (or onscreen keys) but in certain state of composition I simply like to tune my editing with this approach.
Maybe look on the bright side that Reason records the piano roll and that it requires two clicks to select all for a row rather than one click like many others? :)

I just did a recording with the Reason piano roll and I intentionally repeated notes to get the select behavior, but it didn't change anything with the recording, it didn't keep me from recording repeated notes. And then once the recording was done, there were a few notes selected. I clicked anywhere on the screen and they were unselected. But my usual workflow is to select all and quantize anyways.

So just curious, what issues if any are you having when recording when this happens? Because I didn't see any.

User avatar
guitfnky
Posts: 1921
Joined: 19 Jan 2015

Post 06 Apr 2020

dusan.cani wrote:
06 Apr 2020
guitfnky wrote:
06 Apr 2020


the basic point of the piano roll view is specifically for editing. it’s not built to be used as a performance tool. that’s what keyboard controllers are for.
But you don't use it directly for editing (except that "auto select" feature which I've never seen with any other piano rolls) . It is for visual guidance while editing or for direct note triggering. Which piano roll does have any other functionalities except Reason ? I am curious.
the piano roll isn’t just the vertical piano. the piano roll is the sequencer to the right of it, as well. yes, it allows you to trigger notes by clicking, but that’s an auditioning feature, not a performance feature. there’s an important distinction there.

User avatar
dusan.cani
Posts: 216
Joined: 16 Oct 2018
Location: Slovakia

Post 06 Apr 2020

joeyluck wrote:
06 Apr 2020
So just curious, what issues if any are you having when recording when this happens? Because I didn't see any.
Exactly the thing you have already written :D

this:
joeyluck wrote:
06 Apr 2020

And then once the recording was done, there were a few notes selected. I clicked anywhere on the screen and they were unselected.
Once the recording was done, I often don't realize that I end up with selected all notes in the row (because it's unintended). So I accidentally move or delete whole row of notes instead of one particular note. I simply need to pay extra attention and every time deselect those non-wanted selected notes. That was my problem in this topic. I was curious if this is configurable or not. But of course, it's not a tragedy. There are more problematic workflow issues, for example viewtopic.php?t=7514067 - this is a really big issue with workflow.

  • Information
  • Who is online

    Users browsing this forum: CommonCrawl [Bot] and 5 guests