Reason locking me out of window

This forum is for discussing Reason. Questions, answers, ideas, and opinions... all apply.
googsmuso

14 Oct 2019

Hey Everyone,

I have a weird one. This is a new issue since upgrading to Reason 11. It only happens after I've mapped a Remote Override of a VST parameter to my midi controller, but seems to happen everytime I do. If I don't map a VST parameter Reason runs without any problems.

At any time after I map a parameter and begin adjusting it, editing, recording etc, Reason suddenly acts as if there is a dialog box I need to press in order to get access to the VST and the Reason window the VST is hovering over.

It's the "you must press something on the dialog box before continuing to use your program" behaviour that we all love so much. It just makes that "BLUM!" sound if you click anywhere on the window/VST except the dialog box options. But there is no box that I can see. Or if there is it's hidden. I've tried Alt+tab/Win+Tab to see if it's somewhere on the desktop but nothing, and there's nothing on any of my virtual desktops etc.

Reason keeps running but I cant do anything in the window that the VST is rendering over (I THINK this is what's happening). The keyboard shortcuts stop working if I try and interact with the window or the VST. But everything else keeps functioning as normal as long as I don't give that window/VST focus.

I generally break Reason into it's separate mixer/rack/sequencer windows spread across 3 monitors. The other 2 windows work fine as do any VST's open over those, and when I click on them the keyboard shortcuts work again, I can then operate Reason as normal. I can detach/reattach the mixer and rack using shortuct keys as long as I don't reattach both of them forming 1 window again. The crashed window never recovers and if I don't have either of the other 2 windows open I'm stuffed because I can't save or stop a playing song etc.

I've tested with only 1 or a couple of devices in the rack at a time in a fresh project. A single VST synth, then I'll try an effect. Doesn't matter. As soon as I map a parameter it's only a matter of time. Without doing that I can run an album's worth of VST's on my system in real time no probs. It definitely isn't a DSP or CPU/audio load problem.

The problem happens on both my Komplete Kontrol M32 and Arturia Keylab88. Going back to Reason 10 gives me no issues, which is what I have to do for now I guess.

Anyone else had this issue or something similar?

Cheers

ShelLuser

18 Oct 2019

I can't help but think that this issue is more related to Windows and the things you've been doing in there rather than a specific DAW. Yesterday I had the same kind of experience in Live; I was using both Live & Reason (as I always do) and I was busy tuning a reverb, because I merely needed some random sounds I used my normal keyboard for midi input (the classic 'asdf') and instead of playing I got the Windows sound as you described.

Come to think of it, this may have happened right after I pulled in Europa (as a vst). I'll try and do some experimentation later on...
--- :reason:

googsmuso

21 Oct 2019

Thanks for the reply. let me know how you go.

I just found that it's not local to my home machine. I have the same problem at work with no midi controllers connected and different software installed (apart from Win 10 and Reason). I was doing simple sound design using mouse and keyboard. I did have vst's open in their breakout windows. Again, it locks me out of one of the windows, usually the sequencer window.

diminished
Competition Winner

21 Oct 2019

googsmuso wrote:
21 Oct 2019
Thanks for the reply. let me know how you go.

I just found that it's not local to my home machine. I have the same problem at work with no midi controllers connected and different software installed (apart from Win 10 and Reason). I was doing simple sound design using mouse and keyboard. I did have vst's open in their breakout windows. Again, it locks me out of one of the windows, usually the sequencer window.
They need to know about all the weird behaviors.
:reason: Most recent track: resentment (synthwave) || Others: on my YouTube channel •ᴗ•

ivar

22 Oct 2019

Hi,
when using VST inside Reason 11 the program sometimes don't lets me using the record or other buttons. When i try to push a button inside Reason 11, i hear the windows tone that is used when a background task is blocking any Reason Functions. This happens only in Reason 11. The only chance for me is closing Reason with the task manager. The strange thing is, that there are no background tasks. This bug only comes while using VST. When i have a browser window open or other programs, this bug happens more often. but even closing all other windows apps, does not bring reason 11 back to work again.
Best Regards

jam-s

22 Oct 2019

It might be a VST plugin that is trying to show some kind of dialogue window to you (e.g. to enter a serial number), but (possibly) due to some bug the dialogue is not visible . If you can isolate what plugin(s) cause this to happen you can then try to open them standalone or in another (free) vst host.

xboix

23 Oct 2019

I had this problem in the recent Reason beta testing. It was an exception dialog popping up behind everything. You could not alt-tab to it but you could drag the Reason window out of the way to see it.

If that does not work try pressing enter, ESC and space to see if you can press one of the keys on the invisible dialog.

Also, have a look to see if Reason is leaving any log files anywhere. Not sure where such a file might be for Reason.

And definitely put a ticket in.

bigguy1

23 Oct 2019

I have exactly the same behaviour. I found out when I was creating the remotemap for my old Novation Remote 25 Controller. I am quite sure that this is a Reason 11 bug because in Reason 10 it works. The only thing you can do about it is close Reason and start it again.

There is also a thread for Problems with Reason 11 where I already mentioned this. Good to know that I am not alone with this problem :-)

Yes please create a ticket for Reason Studios. I think I mentioned this behavior to one of the support guys. But the ticket was about something else and I forgot about it until now.

ivar

23 Oct 2019

jam-s wrote:
22 Oct 2019
It might be a VST plugin that is trying to show some kind of dialogue window to you (e.g. to enter a serial number), but (possibly) due to some bug the dialogue is not visible . If you can isolate what plugin(s) cause this to happen you can then try to open them standalone or in another (free) vst host.
Moin
vielen Dank für Deine Antwort. I don't have this problems with Reason 10. i just found out that i got the same strange behavior using the UJAM Drummer Rack Extension. So the problem is not just a VST thing. All my VST a doing well, so there cant be a background dialogue. May bee it could be a problem with my Akai MPK Midi controller, that does some remote automation. I made a reason ticket and i referred to this forum post.
Best Regards

googsmuso

24 Oct 2019

It's good to know it's not just me. Thanks for everyone's reply. I've put in a support ticket. Feel free to do the same. This is a pretty bad bug that hopefully gets fixed asap.

ivar

24 Oct 2019

Hi
i am in contact with Reason. They know about it.
now i can replicate the error: Every time when i automate some stuff in a VST
Reason stops working. It dosent matter witch external USB controller i use. Even using or not using the Reason on-screen keyboard
does not make any difference. This bug is Reason 11 exclusive
Best Regards

• Information