Who is buying reason 11 tomorrow

This forum is for discussing Reason. Questions, answers, ideas, and opinions... all apply.
The_Real_DeanC2000

27 Sep 2019

I'm going to wait for a couple weeks. I just finished a song in Reason 10, and I think in a couple weeks a more stable version of 11 will be out.

I'm learning Cakewalk by Bandlab right now too, just to see how it is compared to Reason.

avasopht
Competition Winner

27 Sep 2019

I'm definitely sticking with Reason (so I'll most likely upgrade in the next few months), but there are some (10+ year old) failing features that really need to be addressed, because they're relatively trivial, but consumes lots of time unnecessarily and I'm starting to feel a little buyer's remorse right now.
Last edited by avasopht on 27 Sep 2019, edited 1 time in total.

moneykube

27 Sep 2019

drum roll... no lol... easy decision :!: :re: :puf_wink:
https://soundcloud.com/moneykube-qube/s ... d-playlist
Proud Member Of The Awesome League Of Perpetuals

hurricane
Competition Winner

27 Sep 2019

A few days have passed, and not having the AU version ready has made the decision way easier. And then I am also waiting for the inevitable "Apple have purchased Reason Studios" so I anticipate getting the rack for free in the next 2-4 years.
Soundcloud | Youtube
Logic Pro | Bitwig

Aosta

27 Sep 2019

Nope, have everything I need with 10.4 and probably won't upgrade for quite some time.
Tend the flame

DougalDarkly

27 Sep 2019

Deleted
Last edited by DougalDarkly on 09 Jan 2020, edited 1 time in total.

aeox
Competition Winner

27 Sep 2019

hurricane wrote:
27 Sep 2019
A few days have passed, and not having the AU version ready has made the decision way easier. And then I am also waiting for the inevitable "Apple have purchased Reason Studios" so I anticipate getting the rack for free in the next 2-4 years.
I can tell you right now, that it's never going to happen :)

hurricane
Competition Winner

27 Sep 2019

No one thought they would purchase Emagic and discontinue Logic for Windows either.
Soundcloud | Youtube
Logic Pro | Bitwig

MrFigg
Competition Winner

27 Sep 2019

Well I can tell you now that the first thing I’m going to do after I buy Apple is buy Reason Studios. Hope that clears things up.
🗲 2ॐ ᛉ

gullum

27 Sep 2019

If now is tomorrow then I have just upgraded to 11 standard it's the price of 4 pizzas here in my country

ltbrunt00

28 Sep 2019

Can you buy the reason suite upgrade separately after buying the base reason upgrade?
Reason, Nuendo, Studio One
https://soundcloud.com/user-404930848

ShelLuser

28 Sep 2019

Well.. I finally got Reason 11, played with it for a few hours and I ended up removing it from my system again. I did make sure to copy the Reason VST folder (which is basically an extra Reason program folder (same size) with a VST instead of an executable) and I've moved that into my custom VST3 folder.

As it turns out you can easily keep the VST around without having Reason 11 installed. Which suits me just fine because I don't want to keep 3 copies of Reason around (Reason 10, Reason 11 and the Reason VST plugin (which is basically another copy of the Reason 11 program folder)).

Right now I'm staying put on Reason 10 for my normal work (rewired into Live 10) and I keep the VST around for now so that I can play a bit with the new devices. But unfortunately I don't think I will be using this very often, I really dislike the way the VST works, also because of all the lacking options. Adding a device is easy, removing one otoh... In Guitar Rig (from Native Instruments) I can remove devices by pressing the delete key, same as with several other VST's. With the Reason VST I need to right click and find the option in a menu somewhere. It's so bothersome... why couldn't they at least add a small 'x' which you could click to easily remove a device? When I'm looking for sounds (IMO Reason is awesome for sound design, probably one of the best options for me) I usually add, play and often remove devices and switch them out for something else. Not here...

I also don't understand why the browser section has to be fully expanded all the time. With Reaktor (player) I can move sections around and collapse them. With the Reason VST.... you're forced to see either the entire menu or fully hide it. I want my Reason 10 browser: I keep the menu hidden (so I only see the icons) which leaves more room for the devices themselves. Other VTS's can do this, so....

So to get the functionality I want (and plain out need for a speedy workflow) I'm obviously bound to the main program. And since Reason 11 no longer allows me to interact with another DAW.... I'm staying put on Reason 10 which does everything I need.

.... what could be an interesting experiment is using the rack VST on one track while also keeping Reason 10 rewired into Live... hmmmm.
--- :reason:

Fig

28 Sep 2019

I sold Reason 10 about 6 months ago when Cubase Pro 10 was on sale for $160. I had Artist some years ago and had a dongle already. I always wanted the “Pro” Cubase and the price was the best I’d ever seen. Since I was a Reason user, I did not have iVST’s , only RE’s.

Love Cubase, but the instruments that come with it didn’t really do much for me, and I hated the idea of spending hundreds of dollars on more... so.... I picked up Reason Intro 11 for $99 and have my full arsenal of instruments. Antidote, Parsec, Thor, and others.

I’m happy :)
Dell desktop Win 10 /2012 MacBook Pro / Komplete Audio 6
Cubase Pro 10/ Reason Intro 11

reggie1979

29 Sep 2019

Wait, there is a "fig" and a "mr frigg" ..............................................

All joking aside, I'm demoing it and have two minds: It's not spectacular enough to just plunk my cash, but it's not been an eye-sore either.

We'll see. But what I like (regardless of hyperbole) is the track sizing and curves. Cross fades and cool but the previously mentioned are what have me going goo goo ga ga.

boingy

30 Sep 2019

reggie1979 wrote:
29 Sep 2019
Wait, there is a "fig" and a "mr frigg" ..............................................
"fig" is Mr Figg's secret alter ego. He thought dropping that second G would put us off the scent so he's going to be disappointed we worked it out.

Am I the only person not excited by curved automation? You could already get very close to a curve by using several straight lines.

VariableX

30 Sep 2019

boingy wrote:
30 Sep 2019
reggie1979 wrote:
29 Sep 2019
"fig" is Mr Figg's secret alter ego. He thought dropping that second G would put us off the scent so he's going to be disappointed we worked it out.

Am I the only person not excited by curved automation? You could already get very close to a curve by using several straight lines.
would using a curve over a straight really be that much different sounding, or am i being naive? obvs props didnt think so or they would have implemented it years ago?

aeox
Competition Winner

30 Sep 2019

fretshot7 wrote:
30 Sep 2019
boingy wrote:
30 Sep 2019

would using a curve over a straight really be that much different sounding, or am i being naive? obvs props didnt think so or they would have implemented it years ago?
Yea it's going to sound different. You could still do exponential curves in reason before bezier curves were added though.

Proboscis

30 Sep 2019

You can create whatever curves you want in older versions of Reason. There are 128 horizontal points and 1,000 vertical points to achieve this without sticking to 'straight lines' (well technically they are straight lines between anchor points, but it's a good enough approximation of a curve)
curves.PNG
curves.PNG (14.16 KiB) Viewed 2041 times

MrFigg
Competition Winner

30 Sep 2019

boingy wrote:
30 Sep 2019
reggie1979 wrote:
29 Sep 2019
Aaaaa...you think you G-spotted my G-string of thought. Totally wrong though...as another famous Scotsman once said "There can be only one.".
And "Mr Frigg" ??? I think you may be confusing me with someone else. :)
🗲 2ॐ ᛉ

dmcghee

30 Sep 2019

I purchase Reason Suite day one. Hope they bring AU support soon so I can use Reason’s Plugins in the MPC software with the MPC X.

reggie1979

30 Sep 2019

boingy wrote:
30 Sep 2019
reggie1979 wrote:
29 Sep 2019

It's part of my big 3 with this update. The zoom/track height, the curves and the crossfades. It's the little things that make me happy.

reggie1979

30 Sep 2019

Oh, and I've been playing with the multi note drawing. Is there a key command for the grid?

Loque

30 Sep 2019

boingy wrote:
30 Sep 2019
reggie1979 wrote:
29 Sep 2019

Yesterday i worked on a song part and it was a pleasure to smoothly control the pitch and panning curves of a sound... And playing the keyboard and seeing the right octaves... And editing a track while viewing the drum and bass track at the same time... Yea, i really, really, really appreciate the work flow enhancements.

The only bad thing i noticed is, Reason seems to stop playing the automation at some point while changing and adding curves. This is probably a bug, but couldn't figure it out 100% yet...
Reason12, Win10

reggie1979

01 Oct 2019

Yeah I haven't encountered that yet. Would love for a list on how to reproduce and confirm.

• Information