Announcing Reason 11

This forum is for discussing Reason. Questions, answers, ideas, and opinions... all apply.
toddbooster

30 Aug 2019

MrBlue wrote:
30 Aug 2019
MattiasHG wrote:
30 Aug 2019
Here's a preview for you! We'll update the website with the correct graphics real soon. :)
It’s nice but for Reason users only it’s useless.

Wait and see for Reason 12...
It's not useless for us. Using these in the rack within Reason, I will now be able to put some effects before the EQ and dynamics, and some after on audio tracks. It's not the most convenient or elegant solution, but at least it's possible now.

Jagwah

30 Aug 2019

Yonatan wrote:
30 Aug 2019
Another first reaction to the R11 announcement:

Molten Music Monthly:

https://www.youtube.com/embed/_j5aYzG7qwY?start=2080
Bad start to my day. I understand if you're affiliated with the dude and shared the link as a favour, but his thoughts on R11 were very boring and misinformed.

He said Propellerheads are 'pretty slow at making synths' which is just stupid, and the rest of his thoughts on the subject were beyond ordinary, especially when contrasted with what can be read on this forum.

No offence to you personally but I doubt his 'first reaction' would interest anyone here who bothers to click on it and find where he is talking about this.

Jagwah

30 Aug 2019

As a Reason user, getting reskins of things I already have is not very exciting, they will be convenient and get used, but it's certainly not a selling point. Just like the Rack as a VST for other DAW users. Kind of like getting underpants for Christmas.

I feel extremely disillusioned about Props right now, like I have to pack up my goodies I spent thousands on and stick with them, and be firm in never giving you guys any money ever again because you come across as a greed ridden company who just wants to give me the minimum possible amount for the maximum amount of my dollars, and by being so bold about it, it's as if you are preparing everybody to get used to it for the long haul.

selig
RE Developer

30 Aug 2019

Goriila Texas wrote:
30 Aug 2019
How does 2:1 ratio equal infinity on a parallel channel? Can you go into greater detail?
Think of it this way: Infinity to one means that for every one dB up, there is an opposite dB down. And 2:1 means for every two dB up, there is an opposite 1 dB down. So it's 2 up/1 down vs 1 up/1 down when described this way.

In this way of looking at it, "no compression" (dry) would be described as "for every one dB up, there is an opposite ZERO dB down (1 up/0 down).

So if you add a 1/1 (inf:1) to a 1/0 (no compression), you get 2/1, right?

In other words, when the dry signal is going 1 dB over the threshold, the inf:1 signal is going zero dB over the threshold, and when combined you get half of each, equal to 0.5 dB over the threshold. Technically you get a hotter signal, but you have to subtract 6 dB when adding two channels together in order to account for the summing of two channels.

Which also means when the dry signal is 2 dB over the threshold, and the inf:1 signal is zero dB over the threshold, the combined result is also half. This is equal to 1 dB over the threshold, and we already know that 2 dB up/1 dB down gives you a 2:1 ratio.

Hopefully that makes sense, never had to think of how to describe it in words. All I know is when you set up two MClass compressors this way on two identical channels (or one normal channel and one parallel channel), and invert the polarity of one, you get perfect cancellation.
Selig Audio, LLC

parma

30 Aug 2019

Reason-11_press-image-1-750x375.jpg
Reason-11_press-image-1-750x375.jpg (80.35 KiB) Viewed 2628 times

Announcing Live 10..no wait, I mean Reason 11!

VariableX

30 Aug 2019

parma wrote:
30 Aug 2019

No one could ever say Live looks good, it looks like an old grey visual basic app :o

Raveshaper

30 Aug 2019

fretshot7 wrote:
30 Aug 2019
No one could ever say Live looks good, it looks like an old grey visual basic app :o
This only one of its themes.

It's visually organized so you can find what you need during a set, and so you can do what you need while producing. Either way, the focus is on the music, not the graphics.
:reason: :ignition: :re: :refillpacker: Enhanced by DataBridge v5

VariableX

30 Aug 2019

Raveshaper wrote:
30 Aug 2019
fretshot7 wrote:
30 Aug 2019
This only one of its themes.

It's visually organized so you can find what you need during a set, and so you can do what you need while producing. Either way, the focus is on the music, not the graphics.
Fair enough, still looks count, and it looks total cack 😂

Krell

30 Aug 2019

At least you can see the text and buttons on a modern screen in Live. Better get the magnifying glass out if you're using Reason. Form follows function...
Reason 12 // Bitwig 4 // Live 11 // Logic Pro X // Fabfilter // Soundtoys // Arturia // Vintage Hardware

way2cool

30 Aug 2019

when i use protool it tell me errors to much as when so much bugs that i got curious on why to ever pay that much, to embarassing even by myself i know some body that use live and she say me it will be not as good as to use reason afterall but there is always a drawback on which ever daw that some body likes to work with, which is now how i can be assure of knowing we will never get 100 percents happy on any thing in daws, although i have to consider maybe to try bitwig since all lot of those in here thinks it will be nicer

VariableX

30 Aug 2019

Don't judge a book by its cover, beauty's only skin deep, - if people did, Live wouldn't be around anymore 😂
Although beauty is in the eye of the beholder, so maybe thats how Ableton survived...

way2cool

30 Aug 2019

fretshot7 wrote:
30 Aug 2019
Don't judge a book by its cover, beauty's only skin deep, - if people did, Live wouldn't be around anymore 😂
Although beauty is in the eye of the beholder, so maybe thats how Ableton survived...
beauty is in the eye of the beerholder :wtf:

VariableX

31 Aug 2019

way2cool wrote:
30 Aug 2019
fretshot7 wrote:
30 Aug 2019
beauty is in the eye of the beerholder :wtf:
dosn't take to many beers to have the beer goggles on 😀

Yonatan

31 Aug 2019

Get the Reward system up working properly.
Let us use reward points in upgrade price, and it feels a little more ok that the upgrade seems half finished and bleak for users being on R10.

VariableX

31 Aug 2019

Yonatan wrote:
31 Aug 2019
Let us use reward points in upgrade price, and it feels a little more ok that the upgrade seems half finished and bleak for users being on R10.
I'm over the fact R11 is shit for me. Doesn't matter, I like R10 and i'll stick with it. Got Wiggle today and that has cheered me up. If I really wanna splurge ill maybe pick up Rob Papins Explorer 5 bundle at 80% off. But i have been thinking about some new hardware lately too but just not found anything to get yet...

Yonatan

31 Aug 2019

fretshot7 wrote:
31 Aug 2019
Yonatan wrote:
31 Aug 2019
I'm over the fact R11 is shit for me. Doesn't matter, I like R10 and i'll stick with it. Got Wiggle today and that has cheered me up. If I really wanna splurge ill maybe pick up Rob Papins Explorer 5 bundle at 80% off. But i have been thinking about some new hardware lately too but just not found anything to get yet...
Well, I am with you, but then comes point updates... and who knows if R12 will come in another 2 years. R10 works fine yes.
I think the most disturbing things with Reason team is the unpredictability...
There is that slooow pace with some things, and then sudden eruptions from nowhere, or strange side steps. I will wait and see while enjoying the R10. At least this whole year out will probably be a chase to fix things with Rack plugin, getting it to AU etc.

Yonatan

31 Aug 2019

Jagwah wrote:
30 Aug 2019
Yonatan wrote:
30 Aug 2019
Another first reaction to the R11 announcement:

Molten Music Monthly:

https://www.youtube.com/embed/_j5aYzG7qwY?start=2080
Bad start to my day. I understand if you're affiliated with the dude and shared the link as a favour, but his thoughts on R11 were very boring and misinformed.

He said Propellerheads are 'pretty slow at making synths' which is just stupid, and the rest of his thoughts on the subject were beyond ordinary, especially when contrasted with what can be read on this forum.

No offence to you personally but I doubt his 'first reaction' would interest anyone here who bothers to click on it and find where he is talking about this.
Sorry Sir for the bad day. But no connection to this guy at all. I posted another much better reaction with another youtuber earlier. This guy made a more shallow opinion.
Just find it a bit interesting to find what others may say about the annoncement as that is the topic of this thread. Not trying to promote anyone...I mean, quite few mention Reason 11 in Youtube at all. But I guess it will be more after the release and the beta blocker is over.
And I guess the opinions will be quite mixed, some meh and some showing off their 2 DAW workflows etc.

Jagwah

31 Aug 2019

Yonatan wrote:
31 Aug 2019
Jagwah wrote:
30 Aug 2019

Sorry Sir for the bad day. But no connection to this guy at all. I posted another much better reaction with another youtuber earlier. This guy made a more shallow opinion.
Just find it a bit interesting to find what others may say about the annoncement as that is the topic of this thread. Not trying to promote anyone...I mean, quite few mention Reason 11 in Youtube at all. But I guess it will be more after the release and the beta blocker is over.
And I guess the opinions will be quite mixed, some meh and some showing off their 2 DAW workflows etc.
Thanks man it's all good in the hood, my day turned out alright anyway ; )

Goriila Texas

31 Aug 2019

:thumbs_up: Thanks for the explanation!!

selig wrote:
30 Aug 2019
Goriila Texas wrote:
30 Aug 2019
How does 2:1 ratio equal infinity on a parallel channel? Can you go into

Think of it this way: Infinity to one means that for every one dB up, there is an opposite dB down. And 2:1 means for every two dB up, there is an opposite 1 dB down. So it's 2 up/1 down vs 1 up/1 down when described this way.

In this way of looking at it, "no compression" (dry) would be described as "for every one dB up, there is an opposite ZERO dB down (1 up/0 down).

So if you add a 1/1 (inf:1) to a 1/0 (no compression), you get 2/1, right?

In other words, when the dry signal is going 1 dB over the threshold, the inf:1 signal is going zero dB over the threshold, and when combined you get half of each, equal to 0.5 dB over the threshold. Technically you get a hotter signal, but you have to subtract 6 dB when adding two channels together in order to account for the summing of two channels.

Which also means when the dry signal is 2 dB over the threshold, and the inf:1 signal is zero dB over the threshold, the combined result is also half. This is equal to 1 dB over the threshold, and we already know that 2 dB up/1 dB down gives you a 2:1 ratio.

Hopefully that makes sense, never had to think of how to describe it in words. All I know is when you set up two MClass compressors this way on two identical channels (or one normal channel and one parallel channel), and invert the polarity of one, you get perfect cancellation.

yahsmith

31 Aug 2019

fretshot7 wrote:
30 Aug 2019

Yeah same could be said with the Pixelated lo res mess of reason

Creativemind

31 Aug 2019

fretshot7 wrote:
30 Aug 2019
parma wrote:
30 Aug 2019

I agree, Ableton is not very unaesthetically pleasing to me. Looks a lot better with the black theme if that's what it's called.
:reason:

Reason Studio's 11.3 / Cockos Reaper 6.82 / Cakewalk By Bandlab / Orion 8.6
http://soundcloud.com/creativemind75/iv ... soul-mix-3

Creativemind

31 Aug 2019

Arrant wrote:
29 Aug 2019
tronam wrote:
28 Aug 2019
I keep thinking back to Reason 8 which showcased a drag'n'drop browser pane as its tentpole feature, coupled with a few rudimentary sequencer enhancements like resizing a note from both sides. Is R11 really more underwhelming than that?
No, R8 was the most underwhelming update in the history of Reason.
Yes it was and Propellerhead had to quickly release updates (as I guess sales were poor) to make it more viable with more features. More colours and RV7000MkII were 2 I can remember.

I think (since I've been using Reason since 6.5) that Reason 9 was the best update I've seen.

groggy1

31 Aug 2019

I’m excited that we’ll see Reason at KVRAudio under the instrument section too now :)

This update isn’t my ideal. But, I gotta say I’m thankful for recent vst support and the amazing perf release.

So all in all, I’m still happy with Reason

ShelLuser

31 Aug 2019

fretshot7 wrote:
30 Aug 2019
What's wrong with Visual Basic? :P

Anyway, I kinda agree that the interface is a bit dull, but that's also what makes it so useful for me because you get to fully focus on the stuff which matters; the sound & the controls. Because everything has a specific location it's easy to find your way around.

Besides.. Push users (Push is a Live controller & instrument) mostly ignore the computer screen anyway because you can do almost everything from the controller :cool: (conspiracies I tell you! :ugeek:).
--- :reason:

Creativemind

31 Aug 2019

guitfnky wrote:
29 Aug 2019
and having a more feature-rich DAW would make it more enticing for people who buy Reason 11 for use in their DAWs to actually open up the Reason DAW and play around in it, instead of leaving it to collect dust on their hard drive.
Yes, certain things are basic functionality to me. Let's see:-
  • Sync the browsers and windows on the fly
  • Manual parameter inputs with copy and paste
  • More colours and to be able to select the default colours of clips in the preferences
  • Undo History
  • Ruler Markers with shortcuts
  • Keyboard Shortcut to select all clips on a track
  • Labelling the track automatically labels the clip
  • Shortcut to put End Marker at the "Last Decayed Sound in Project"
  • Preference to stop song playing when it reaches the end marker
  • Note boxes on rack devices, sequencer tracks and mixer channels
  • Autosave
  • Bounce to Mono in bounce and bounce in place section
  • Consolidate clips in the bounce in place
  • To be able to audition audio clips with the speaker tool or I in the sequencer
  • tempo detect of audio
  • Add multiple points and curves to audio clip fade ins / outs
  • To add tags for searching in the browser
  • Refresh button for folders in the browser
  • Midi Chase
  • Move midi notes and audio clips by time (type it in)
  • See where audio transients are in time and move them by typing in a new amount
  • Join notes
  • Remove arrows off notes till you need them in the midi editor
  • Unselect all
  • Cloned / Mimic'd clips
[list=10 send fx slots on the main mixer
  • Label and easily change the order of send fx
  • Not being thrown around all over the place when clicking around the clips etc
  • Themes affect the mixer option with possibly more themes
  • Group editing
  • Track folders
  • Adjust Multiple Faders also applies to the rack mix channels
  • VST3 support
Sounds a lot (38) but they should all be in Reason now + the features of 11. They're just features that would make Reason just flow better and act more intuitively.

I hope these are given to us in the forthcoming updates with 11.
Last edited by Creativemind on 31 Aug 2019, edited 3 times in total.

• Information