Announcing Reason 11

This forum is for discussing Reason. Questions, answers, ideas, and opinions... all apply.
Last Alternative

30 Aug 2019

Those devices are beautiful 😍
For years I considered getting a Reason tattoo. Now that it’s different, probably not. It’s just 1 box now 📦 kinda weird.
https://lastalternative.bandcamp.com
:reason: 12.7.4 | MacBook Pro (16”, 2021), OS Sonoma, M1 Max, 4TB SSD, 64GB RAM | quality instruments & gear

chimp_spanner

30 Aug 2019

MattiasHG wrote:
30 Aug 2019

Here's a preview for you! We'll update the website with the correct graphics real soon. :)
I’m a like, a week (and a 2 hour flight) away from all my stuff and I wanna try this out right now. #pray4paul

stephensmattlee

30 Aug 2019

Sad to say I have to agree with a lot of the negativity about the Reason 11 announcement. I think the main problem is a lot of us that use Reason solely were expecting a lot more than what’s been shown.

Whilst it’s great for users that previously owned Reason and then switched to other daws, having the rack as a VST plug-in is a great way to entice some of those older users back, ...for the more loyal customers that solely use Reason as a daw it does leave a bitter taste.

Personally I feel they should have just announced the Reason rack VST separately from Reason 11 and gave themselves more time to work on an update that truly offers a lot more to entice not just the dedicated Reason users to upgrade but also the customers that might have got back into Reason though the VST rack plugin as well.

For me personally I’ll hold off on Reason 11 until the Rack VST is sold separately at a cheaper price, and see what v12 brings later down the line and if it’s a worthwhile update.

zoidkirb

30 Aug 2019

Does TAB still flip the rack around in Rack vst? Might get confusing for Ableton Live users flipping to/from session mode but I'd like to make that choice still.

Breach The Sky

30 Aug 2019

So I had an idea: What if you could apply the settings you set in the tools window (including the groove) directly when you use the multiple draw tool? I would add an "ignore/mute" button next to the fold arrows in the tool window for every section so you could choose what modifiers you want to apply.

Is that a good idea, or?

exxx

30 Aug 2019

stephensmattlee wrote:
30 Aug 2019
For me personally I’ll hold off on Reason 11 until the Rack VST is sold separately at a cheaper price, and see what v12 brings later down the line and if it’s a worthwhile update.

rack vst will probably not come out.

1. The total number of old users should participate in the upgrade to obtain sufficient purchase estimates.

2. The rack market and musical instruments are not attractive enough to buy individual racks.

This is not a market expansion, but a strategy to sell only reason studio instruments.

Past users. Loyal users should be upgraded to escape the hostage form.

Remember not to take care of the external rack that was in error.

Only money. Last drop!

Older users who use other Daws may be cheaper than buying new instruments, but they must be cheaper to buy memories.

There will be no individual VSTs as the last drop can be squeezed out to past users.

gaclab

30 Aug 2019

MattiasHG wrote:
30 Aug 2019

Here's a preview for you! We'll update the website with the correct graphics real soon. :)
Okay well those are beautiful. :)

exxx

30 Aug 2019

MattiasHG wrote:
30 Aug 2019

Can't see the dry / wet knob or ratio on the compressor, the number of treash

There are no frequency numbers in the EQ. Is this an update in 2019?

That's pretty color only...

MattiasHG
Reason Studios

30 Aug 2019

exxx wrote:
30 Aug 2019

Ratio's there...? And there are numbers for all parameters including frequency, they appear on hover and click like most other rotaries in Reason. There's no Dry/Wet as the compressor it's based on doesn't have that, but it's easy to route up. :)

diminished
Competition Winner

30 Aug 2019

MattiasHG wrote:
30 Aug 2019
exxx wrote:
30 Aug 2019

Ratio's there...? And there are numbers for all parameters including frequency, they appear on hover and click like most other rotaries in Reason. There's no Dry/Wet as the compressor it's based on doesn't have that, but it's easy to route up. :)
I agree though, at least MIN, MAX and standard value should be there for the EQ
:reason: Most recent track: resentment (synthwave) || Others: on my YouTube channel •ᴗ•

musicman691

30 Aug 2019

MattiasHG wrote:
30 Aug 2019
exxx wrote:
30 Aug 2019

Poor excuse for not having a wet/dry control because it's not on the SSL h/w the plugin is based on. Most every developer that has an SSL channel strip or individual plugin emulation has a wet/dry control on the compressor. The only one that doesn't that I know of outside what SSL themselves does in s/w is Waves. Check out the 'official' SSL branded 4000E and 4000G strips plugin Alliance has. Wet/dry control for the compressor.
Jack
MacPro mid-2012 3.46 GHz hexcore Westmere 48 gig ram
OSX 10.13.6
PT2021.6, Reason 8.3
QAPLA!

JiggeryPokery
RE Developer

30 Aug 2019

gcopley wrote:
30 Aug 2019
MattiasHG wrote:
30 Aug 2019

Okay well those are beautiful. :)
Apart from the fact the unit of measurement for a second is "s", not "S", and millisecond is "ms", not "mS". "mS" is millisiemens.

Looks forward to the correct graphics...

You're welcome! ;)

shinjo

30 Aug 2019

MattiasHG wrote:
30 Aug 2019

I see some typographical errors on the master bus compressor. Or is it a stylistic choise?

Seconds are abbrevated with a small 's', and milliseconds abbrevated 'ms'.

It should be 'Make up', without hyphen.

Em dash should be used instead of hyphen in 'Attach -- ms' and 'Release -- s'.

Congrats on the new release 🙂

guitfnky

30 Aug 2019

I suspect the mS thing is intentional 🤔
I write music for good people

https://slowrobot.bandcamp.com/

future-bit

30 Aug 2019

Last edited by future-bit on 07 Dec 2020, edited 1 time in total.

JiggeryPokery
RE Developer

30 Aug 2019

guitfnky wrote:
30 Aug 2019
No, shirley not, otherwise there was actually design meeting where they all agreed not to use SI units and could make up any old shit cos "kewl!". It shows not just a lack of attention to detail, and actual education. I hereby propose the Standard Unit for lack of due diligence detail is the "jp". :lol: Reason 11 is 0.8jp

It's correct on the Master Compressor in the Reason mixer btw.

diminished
Competition Winner

30 Aug 2019

lol...
:reason: Most recent track: resentment (synthwave) || Others: on my YouTube channel •ᴗ•

Kalm

30 Aug 2019

2chris wrote:
29 Aug 2019
I'm super conflicted on this update, and I'm not excited like I was with 10. 10 spoiled us and was the best version of Reason ever. I'm leaning toward getting Suite to grab the great rack extentions (except I bought my two favorites already and get no discount - bummer). Part of me likes it because I prefer working in Ableton Live and I can have the best of both by loading the rack VST into Live. The conflicted part is because it kind of signals the end of them refining their DAW, and that they are going a different direction. Could you imagine Ableton saying we've built this feature where you can run our software in a better DAW to use our instruments and FX? I can't, because the biggest appeal is their full suite of tools and workflow. I really wanted sequencer updates, from Live and Reason to be on par with Logic and Cubase, and once Steinberg did their 50% off I figured I'd try that since it appears to have the best sequencer out there right now. So far so good, but it doesn't appeal to a beginner at all - and there is a usability trade off you make versus Live and Reason. I've use so many DAW's, and in a few ways you are trading things away for pro level features.

I've been super happy with Reason 10. So I'm not really disappointed with the company - it's just the direction they took as a company to go away from being a DAW baffles me. Are they trying to be an instrument company like Native Instruments? Who knows? Maybe they're doing this as a way to also transition toward a version of Reason for iOS/Android and they've already explored ways to run it in new operating systems if they get it running well as a plugin.

For them, I think it's smart to work on many platforms because they don't have a team to keep up with Cubase, Studio One, Live, Logic, and maybe even FL Studio. They are doing their own things, and they don't really need to get into that battle if they can pump out great instruments and FX. Their biggest problem however is that there are better VST's that exist on a one-off basis than what they've created. Every instrument I love from Propellerheads, I can tell you a VST that is objectively better. It's just the fun package and value they give you because you gets lots of great and compelling stuff at once when you buy Reason. They are kind of in no-man's land if they continue on like this, where as a daw they aren't better than other offerings, and as an instrument they aren't better than Komplete (or Uhe). The niche they have left is to add users on other DAW's, and to carve out a value proposition where you can do lots of stuff at one reasonable price point.

For the novice, their tool is amazing, and unlike the hardcore people in this forum - they won't be complaining about workflow, the dated sequencer, or how they screwed up things in the past. You can start making music fast in Reason. It's a great option to compare against Live Lite, FL Studio, and Logic as a new user. A newer user isn't going to compare this to Cubase/Logic/S1 and say OMG this has holes and they are admitting defeat as a company because it works inside of other tools. If you can think outside of your situation, you will see that strategically this makes sense, even if it offends you as an old user.
My EEEExact thoughts
Courtesy of The Brew | Watch My Tutorials | Mac Mini Intel i7 Quad-Core | 16 GB RAM | Samsung 850 EVO 250 GB | Reason 11 Suite | Studio One 5 Professional | Presonus Quantum | Komplete Kontrol 49 MK2 | Event Opals | Follow me on Instagram

JiggeryPokery
RE Developer

30 Aug 2019

shinjo wrote:
30 Aug 2019

I see some typographical errors on the master bus compressor. Or is it a stylistic choise?

Seconds are abbrevated with a small 's', and milliseconds abbrevated 'ms'.

It should be 'Make up', without hyphen.

Em dash should be used instead of hyphen in 'Attach -- ms' and 'Release -- s'.
Glad someone finally agrees with me on something ;)

And yes, I didn't mention it, but using a hyphen like that is wrong, and I don't think an em dash is really correct either, as one would typically add the SI unit in parentheses, or just leave an obvious space between the word and the unit. I'm not really sure why the time label is needed on either, unless there are issues with pop-up values not displaying in the rack?

"Make-Up"
https://writingexplained.org/makeup-or- ... difference

I don't think that's wrong, though. I'd be inclined to say "Make-Up" as an adjective with a capitalised title seems right, rather than as the verb "Make Up":

"When this term is constructed as the hyphenated compound make-up, it becomes an adjective, like in the phrases make-up game or make-up test. These phrases describe events that had to be postponed, and are now taking place at a later date instead."

And it's consistent with the Reason mixer Master Compressor labelling, whereas the time unit obviously is wrong.

EdGrip

30 Aug 2019

Must say I noticed mS too. It actually sent my brain to a "mid-side" place when I first saw it!

So the committee agrees:

Attack (ms)
Release (s)

I think "Release s" is a bit close to "Releases" - but you could make the units bold and then do away with the parentheses, which I'd say is neater:

Release s

guitfnky

30 Aug 2019

JiggeryPokery wrote:
30 Aug 2019
guitfnky wrote:
30 Aug 2019
No, shirley not, otherwise there was actually design meeting where they all agreed not to use SI units and could make up any old shit cos "kewl!". It shows not just a lack of attention to detail, and actual education. I hereby propose the Standard Unit for lack of due diligence detail is the "jp". :lol: Reason 11 is 0.8jp

It's correct on the Master Compressor in the Reason mixer btw.
hey, I’m not disagreeing that it should be fixed...I’m just saying I suspect they did it on purpose...and don’t call me Shirley! you trying to start a fight or something? :lol:
I write music for good people

https://slowrobot.bandcamp.com/

mashers

30 Aug 2019

musicman691 wrote:
30 Aug 2019
Poor excuse for not having a wet/dry control because it's not on the SSL h/w the plugin is based on. Most every developer that has an SSL channel strip or individual plugin emulation has a wet/dry control on the compressor.
I don't understand why a wet/dry parameter would be needed on a compressor. The threshold and ratio are what you use to determine how much of the signal gets compressed and to what extent. What more is needed? What purpose would a wet/dry parameter serve that you cannot already accomplish using ratio?

diminished
Competition Winner

30 Aug 2019

mashers wrote:
30 Aug 2019
musicman691 wrote:
30 Aug 2019
Poor excuse for not having a wet/dry control because it's not on the SSL h/w the plugin is based on. Most every developer that has an SSL channel strip or individual plugin emulation has a wet/dry control on the compressor.
I don't understand why a wet/dry parameter would be needed on a compressor. The threshold and ratio are what you use to determine how much of the signal gets compressed and to what extent. What more is needed? What purpose would a wet/dry parameter serve that you cannot already accomplish using ratio?
Parallel compression, blending between dry and "wet" (compressed) signal.

mashers

30 Aug 2019

diminished wrote:
30 Aug 2019
Parallel compression, blending between dry and "wet" (compressed) signal.
Interesting, I had never heard of this and having quickly read up on it I understand the principle but cannot imagine how it would sound. You could easily wire this up in Reason using a Spider if you needed to,.

JiggeryPokery
RE Developer

30 Aug 2019

guitfnky wrote:
30 Aug 2019
you trying to start a fight or something? :lol:
Always. Feather dusters at ten paces. Meet me on the heath at dawn! :lol:

• Information