When the SSL isn't an SSL (weird issue) solved!

This forum is for discussing Reason. Questions, answers, ideas, and opinions... all apply.
reggie1979

21 Aug 2019

So today was really frustrating. I basically spent the whole day working very hard and accomplishing nothing. I felt like I was beta testing all day with all the weird little issues and stuff after originally wanting to build some templates.

One of the issues I ran into was the SSL. I'll try to be as thorough as I can.

-Open Reason, add something with multi outs (like Superior drummer or Reason drum kits, whatever)
-Assign audio tracks for routing multi out.
-Assign a bus track for all those multi outs.
-Link the CV addition outputs to the audio tracks and you should have separate snare, kick, etc.

So far so good.

But, those individual tracks don't work with the SSL ??? The Bus does. The other tracks do. Just the ones you crate with the CV additional outputs.

It's got to be me, but I'm done for the day with troubleshooting. I got nothing done and don't know what I did wrong. Flusterbated.
Last edited by reggie1979 on 22 Aug 2019, edited 1 time in total.

selig
RE Developer

21 Aug 2019

OK, you need to clarify what you mean by "CV additional outputs". CV outputs can't be directly fed to audio inputs, which is why I'm wondering what you mean here.

I would connect the multiple audio outs to Mix Channels rather than Audio Channels, which is possibly part of the problem you're having if I'm understanding you correctly.

If you could post a screen shot of the back of the rack it may help to clarify things...
Selig Audio, LLC

reggie1979

21 Aug 2019

DOH!!!!!!!!!!! Mix channels........I'm so stupid! :lol:

Yeah, I'm sure that is it.........tomorrow, and again thanks for your help, you'll talked me out of another pickle.

reggie1979

21 Aug 2019

Damn, that didn't work. SSL still doesn't work. (crying)

It's the additional outputs (3/4 5/6 etc) and this is a VST.

reggie1979

21 Aug 2019

Doesn't work with an RE like "reason drums" either.

Done for tonight, now for sure. Hopefully tomorrow I can make some sense of it.

Philup

22 Aug 2019

reggie1979

22 Aug 2019

"no preview available" so I don't know what that is.

friday

22 Aug 2019

reggie1979 wrote:
22 Aug 2019
"no preview available" so I don't know what that is.
It is a Reason file, download it and open with Reason.

jetpilot00

22 Aug 2019

Reggie,

I use SD3 on every track and every hit is a separate channel in the Reason mixer. It works perfectly.

We'll get you sorted. There are good YouTube videos that show how to do it. If it is SD3, I can certainly help.

First step, you have to set the drumming program to multi-out. Once you do that, Reason will see the outputs and you can assign mix channels like Selig suggested.

-JP
***If life is a song, I've just passed the guitar solo.***

mcatalao
Competition Winner

22 Aug 2019

You have to redirect your VST inner Mixer the outputs on the VST reason rack:

On reason manual:
"To the right on the CV Programmer panel are optional audio inputs and outputs. If the VST supports the use of multiple audio inputs and/or outputs, the available jacks are indicated by green LEDs."

So the first thing you have to do is checking if the VST allows multiple outputs, and as per default the vst is sending only to Channel 1-2, you have to make it send the audio internally to 3-4 and so forth to 15-16.

Then the best way to load these channels in SSL is right clicking on one of these channels, for example 3-4, and create a new mix channel.

Anyway, even in Kong you have to define that a given pad is sent to a given channel.

You can also do this in NN-XT, Dr.Octo Rex, Redrum, and pretty much all samplers and drum machines in reason may them be Stock or Rack Extensions, though you always have to do this routing.

selig
RE Developer

22 Aug 2019

reggie1979 wrote:
21 Aug 2019
Doesn't work with an RE like "reason drums" either.

Done for tonight, now for sure. Hopefully tomorrow I can make some sense of it.
This is curious indeed, since that means it's not the VST end of things causing the problem.

Again, post a shot of the front and back of your rack - the setup isn't complicated and we should be able to instantly see what's going on.
Selig Audio, LLC

reggie1979

22 Aug 2019

It's not curious it's stupidity.

I was routing to the f...ing fx return. I'm an idiot. Thanks to Philup I noticed it straight away.

Man, I don't understand how I think I know what I'm doing (and I really do make some lovely recordings) and not know dumbass simple stuff.

Thanks for putting up with me.

selig
RE Developer

22 Aug 2019

reggie1979 wrote:
22 Aug 2019
It's not curious it's stupidity.

I was routing to the f...ing fx return. I'm an idiot. Thanks to Philup I noticed it straight away.

Man, I don't understand how I think I know what I'm doing (and I really do make some lovely recordings) and not know dumbass simple stuff.

Thanks for putting up with me.
Hate to sound like a broken record, but a picture really is worth a thousand words - posting the back of the rack would have gotten you the answer immediately…
(not trying to shame you, just making a suggestion for a quicker response/solution to your problem in the future, cause I'm still not 100% sure what you did even after your comment about FX returns…)
:)
Selig Audio, LLC

reggie1979

22 Aug 2019

How do you post a pic on here? I tried to copy it but it wouldn't paste.

antic604

22 Aug 2019

reggie1979 wrote:
22 Aug 2019
There's "attachments" tab below the window you type in the post - you add your picture file(s) there.

Obviously you can also use imgur.com or similar service and just paste a link and format it as a "picture" (a picture icon right above the window you type in the post).

reggie1979

22 Aug 2019

antic604 wrote:
22 Aug 2019
reggie1979 wrote:
22 Aug 2019
There's "attachments" tab below the window you type in the post - you add your picture file(s) there.

Obviously you can also use imgur.com or similar service and just paste a link and format it as a "picture" (a picture icon right above the window you type in the post).
Attachments
ssl thing.png
ssl thing.png (943.18 KiB) Viewed 1514 times

reggie1979

22 Aug 2019

antic604 wrote:
22 Aug 2019
reggie1979 wrote:
22 Aug 2019

Sweet dude! Ignore the post after, I was just testing!!!!!!!!!!!

MarkTarlton

22 Aug 2019

take all of the vst outs and route to a 14:2 reason mixer, and than route the main outs of the 14:2 into the mix channel ins.

or create a bunch of mix channels for each vst stereo pair of outputs, or do it mono depending on your needs.

antic604

23 Aug 2019

MarkTarlton wrote:
22 Aug 2019
take all of the vst outs and route to a 14:2 reason mixer, and than route the main outs of the 14:2 into the mix channel ins.
What's the advantage of using the middle-man (14:2 mixer)?

MarkTarlton

23 Aug 2019

antic604 wrote:
23 Aug 2019
MarkTarlton wrote:
22 Aug 2019

quicker and less routing to mix channels, if you don't want the control of the ssl channel strips individually.

antic604

23 Aug 2019

MarkTarlton wrote:
23 Aug 2019
antic604 wrote:
23 Aug 2019

quicker and less routing to mix channels, if you don't want the control of the ssl channel strips individually.
How is it quicker, if you need to wire it twice (VST -> 14:2 -> Mix Channels)? And Mix Channels get their SSL strips regardless whether you connect them directly or via 14:2.

• Information