Poll: What would you like to see Props focus on going forward?

This forum is for discussing Reason. Questions, answers, ideas, and opinions... all apply.

Choose the TWO that are most important for you.

Mobile Integration
1%
Reason Compact
1%
Rack Extensions
1%
VST instruments
3%
Reason 11 Hi-Res GUI
20%
Reason 11 Sequencer/Workflow
45%
Reason 11 Update stock devices (combinator, fx, etc)
24%
Reason 11 Brand new devices
4%
Another Kalimba Rompler also I am literally Satan
1%

Total votes: 395
Data_Shrine

14 Jun 2019

No High-Res GUI in Reason 11 means that i'm going to skip that version... I will simply not update. Because it's about time.

selig
RE Developer

14 Jun 2019

reddust wrote:
14 Jun 2019
Sure, that's what I think too, and that's why I say people can't compare them, at least not yet, mobile apps are more for sketching ideas or adding some tools to your current gear, and so on... but they are (unfortunately) still not at the level a DAW with VST instruments can do in a computer, generally, maybe some pure electronic synths are already there, but not when it comes to emulate traditional instruments, there is still some work to do to achieve that point.
They are different tools, and they co-exist nicely because of this. As soon as an iPad and similar get more power, desktops ALSO get more power - and so on. Trying to compare them is pointless IMO - each has their place (at least in my world!).

And so, there is still a place for pencil and paper, for walking and bicycles and horses, for analog mixers etc. The new tool doesn't always replace the old…
Selig Audio, LLC

OverneathTheSkyBridg

14 Jun 2019

Data_Shrine wrote:
14 Jun 2019
No High-Res GUI in Reason 11 means that i'm going to skip that version... I will simply not update. Because it's about time.
Yep this is me as well. My vote was Hi Res and Sequencer Workflow, but I'm hoping part of the high res is device updates as well which would have been my third had that been an option. If R11 is another content update like 10 I'll be passing, I've got so many devices and sounds available to me I sometimes don't know where to start. I want a smooth interface that doesn't look like early 2000s, with all the scaling necessary.

dannyF

14 Jun 2019

folders in sequencer.... been asking for this for years

reddust

14 Jun 2019

selig wrote:
14 Jun 2019
They are different tools, and they co-exist nicely because of this. As soon as an iPad and similar get more power, desktops ALSO get more power - and so on. Trying to compare them is pointless IMO - each has their place (at least in my world!).

And so, there is still a place for pencil and paper, for walking and bicycles and horses, for analog mixers etc. The new tool doesn't always replace the old…
Totally agree, I can't say I'm not going to use mobile apps as an additional tool for my music. I'm most surely going to use them at some point in the near future as well. For me the only point where I can compare them in some way is when talking about how far do mobile apps vs vst instruments cover my needs when making music.

That's where I only can say that for my way of making music - and I'm pretty sure I'm not the only one here - mobile apps aren't enough. I can live making music just with my pc without using any mobile app at all, but I couldn't live making music just with mobile apps and no vst instruments, that would be too limited for me.

But I can imagine people having enough stuff with mobile apps to make their music, why not, there are people who can make music with much less than that. But there are also many people making music with vst instruments that wouldn't get their musical needs covered by just using mobile apps. That's all, apart from that I also think they're complementary rather than rivals.

O1B

16 Jun 2019

Relax, Dude. Things are just fine.
reddust wrote:
14 Jun 2019
I'm starting to think mobile apps are really doing some harm to music right now, but I hope they aren't...

O1B

16 Jun 2019

¡¡¡¡QUITE RIGHT!!!!

selig wrote:
14 Jun 2019

reddust

16 Jun 2019

O1B wrote:
16 Jun 2019
Relax, Dude. Things are just fine.
reddust wrote:
14 Jun 2019
I'm starting to think mobile apps are really doing some harm to music right now, but I hope they aren't...
Talking about making assumptions, I'm relaxed, aren't you maybe?

Faastwalker

16 Jun 2019

Mobile Integration / Reason Compact – Kind of the same thing? I guess as Reason Compact develops so will the integration with Reason, which I think is great. But Reason Compact is still in its infancy. I’d love to see it develop further, maybe gain a sampler, and with this continued integration with Reason. Gets my vote.

Rack Extensions – These seem to be appearing from Properllerhead at a fairly consistent rate. No need for this to change. We’ve got Complex-1 now so I’m well & truly sorted. Complex-2 maybe?

VST instruments – The way Propellerhead integrated VST support in Reason was sublime. Couldn’t ask for more. Nothing to see here, move along ;)

Reason 11 Hi-Res GUI – I’d love to see this. The GUI on the rack devices is looking a little grainy these days. And with the more heavily populated synths it’s extremely off putting to the point where I just wouldn’t bother with the device, even if it sounded great. A GUI has to be usable. It’s not just about the sound & cramming the device with a million controls. I’d love to have higher definition devices & the ability to ‘zoom to device’, where a device scales up out of the rack. Only for the front though. If you hit ‘TAB’ the device would scale back down or maybe not work at all until the device was back in the rack.

Reason 11 Sequencer/Workflow – This is getting the most votes. But I’m okay with the sequencer. I love it. It’s simple, maybe that’s why people want it developed more? But I like it as it is & not overly complicated. Happy to see it develop, just not a priority for me.

Reason 11 Update stock devices (combinator, fx, etc) – Hanging for Combinator 2. But this would be a new device rather than an upgrade. I guess it would be awesome to see original & older Propellerhead devices upgraded. But if they did that I’m sure there would be complaints that they were not making new devices & updating old. No win situation ………. Just give us Combinator 2 please :D

Reason 11 Brand new devices – Far from a priority with RE’s. Makes little sense to me.

Another Kalimba Rompler also I am literally Satan – Yeahhhhhhhh ………… NO!

PeterP

17 Jun 2019

Faastwalker wrote:
16 Jun 2019
VST instruments – The way Propellerhead integrated VST support in Reason was sublime. Couldn’t ask for more. Nothing to see here, move along ;)
Well.. Full MIDI support, VST 3, 16 output channels, Grain as VST, Combinator/Rack as VST.. I think there's a bit more that could be done here :)

Boombastix
Competition Winner

17 Jun 2019

PeterP wrote:
17 Jun 2019
Faastwalker wrote:
16 Jun 2019
Well.. Full MIDI support, VST 3, 16 output channels, Grain as VST, Combinator/Rack as VST.. I think there's a bit more that could be done here :)
+1 for that. Except Grain VST - will probably get cracked. But having a paid Reason license and Grain in a VST Rack - that is perfect.

Imagine if you were co-labbing with someone, and you could just download the free VST Rack, login with your Reason ID and choose to sync up one or two of your REs, right there in the studio.
Then imagine if PH had a cloud service for the RE factory patches, our private songs and private patches, that you also could access (or just have as a backup). Hmmm, I can see a million guys who are not Reason users wanna jump into the RE eco system if they could just run REs as VST in their DAW of choice. Boy oh boy... :o :shock: :o
10% off at Waves with link: https://www.waves.com/r/6gh2b0
Disclaimer - I get 10% as well.

Loque

17 Jun 2019

Boombastix wrote:
17 Jun 2019
PeterP wrote:
17 Jun 2019

+1 for that. Except Grain VST - will probably get cracked. But having a paid Reason license and Grain in a VST Rack - that is perfect.

Imagine if you were co-labbing with someone, and you could just download the free VST Rack, login with your Reason ID and choose to sync up one or two of your REs, right there in the studio.
Then imagine if PH had a cloud service for the RE factory patches, our private songs and private patches, that you also could access (or just have as a backup). Hmmm, I can see a million guys who are not Reason users wanna jump into the RE eco system if they could just run REs as VST in their DAW of choice. Boy oh boy... :o :shock: :o
None of this is on my priority list. And if someone should have my patch, i send it to them per mail or have a cloud file share.
Reason12, Win10

Creativemind

17 Jun 2019

I just e-mailed Propellerhead again. Must be about the 6th time I've messaged them over the past 3 or 4 years with feature requests. How many times have people here e-mailed Propellerhead with suggestions?
:reason:

Reason Studio's 11.3 / Cockos Reaper 6.82 / Cakewalk By Bandlab / Orion 8.6
http://soundcloud.com/creativemind75/iv ... soul-mix-3

reggie1979

17 Jun 2019

If they care, they should be lurking around here :)

jason_stanfield

17 Jun 2019

Mainly I want to see some streamlining / re-organization of the GUI.

- The Tool Window shouldn't be floating. Almost all of its functions are used on sequencer data, so it should live in the column to the left of the sequencer, and below the track selection in edit mode. When in an overview mode, it can pop out to the right or left of the track selection.

- Even if the Tool Window remains floating, there should be a button you can press to call it up on the GUI itself, not buried in the Groove editor.

- Put a quick save icon somewhere near the transport.

- There's so much wasted space in the Browser I think it needs be almost completely overhauled.

- I wish the Mix Channel device in the rack had more functionality than just volume, pan, mute, solo, and HPF/LPF. Even if there were shortcut buttons to jump to the Mixer channel up top, it would be an improvement.

- The VST device needs knobs, and the Combinator needs more CV inputs.

- I'd like to be able to fold selected devices instead of just one at a time or the entire column.

- Add a half-rack spacer already.

- Selection of things like the locator value, tempo, or anything where you type in a number sometimes takes 3-4 tries.

- If there isn't a way to make this happen, in a sequencer edit, I'd prefer to double-click to add a note, and hold it (still) to delete it. Far too often I go to move a note, accidentally double click it, and have to Undo to bring it back.

- Super long-shot #1: I'd LOVE to see a rack function that allows us to see both the front and back of the device rack at the same time.

- Super long-shot #2: The ability to flip just one device around.

- Super long-shot #3: Choose to hide, ghost, or show rear cables per device and per kind (audio, CV, etc.).

But the absolute BIGGEST thing I want is a ZOOM function on the Rack.

I started using Reason about the time it came out, and my eyes just aren't what they were 17-18 years ago, nor are my hands. I appreciate the Rack visuals, but sometimes I need these devices to be BIGGER. Zooming in using my laptop's general zoom feature doesn't just make the app bigger, but the mouse cursor as well, meaning I have to use the same joint-stressing mouse movements even with a temporarily larger view.

There should be a button that pops the front of a device out of the Rack, to be embiggened and edited without getting 2" from the screen, squinting, and manipulating my mouse like I'm trying to defuse a bomb.

Faastwalker

17 Jun 2019

PeterP wrote:
17 Jun 2019
Faastwalker wrote:
16 Jun 2019
Oh that! :oops:

To be honest, I don't know much about VST. Only ever used about half a dozen of them since the first in Cubase 3.7

scratchnsnifff

17 Jun 2019

Creativemind wrote:
17 Jun 2019
I just e-mailed Propellerhead again. Must be about the 6th time I've messaged them over the past 3 or 4 years with feature requests. How many times have people here e-mailed Propellerhead with suggestions?

Hahaha please don’t get me started!
Iv sent many, but nowadays I mainly send what I find to be rather unique ideas.

Like adding a waveform drawing/wave sequencing or partial editor in Europa a box by envelope 1 but instead of it being a envelope it’s an additional additive oscillator, or perhaps it could also still act as a envelope for some semi modular type fun

Also regarding the combinator, anytime I mention that I try to convey that more knobs isn’t the end all or be all.
More matrix slots per synth in the combinator programmer has been needed since Thor was created.
Since vst, the combinator is hard to use and that really errks my taters

For sequencer/workflow stuff

I’d be good with just automation curves and saveable shapes. Not like how ableton just went with the basic shapes. I’d like a folder in the tool window for saveable shapes.

Multi layered RE and stock devices like parsec and Europa should have basic copy paste settings via control click. They definitely know about this feature, as we can see in poly step sequencer with copy:paste to all variations

Idc personally about vst3 yet, no vst3 synths have really wowed me yet.

I want to see Reason become advanced but remain simple (in its own ways)
I want to see Reason continue it’s way of making sound design fun, but have it continue to add more and more complex forms of synthesis. Reasons best feature is that it has all these synths that can talk to each other. In a weird way, the limitations of the sequencer is what makes Reason so easy. The workflow doesn’t get cluttered by too many options and drop down menus.

It’s all such a crazy balance but they have always done stellar work so I do trust that they will continue on, hopefully they can implement more and more hardcore users requests. I wonder if they ever just want to bang out the top 10 features of the past 10 years (vst, audio, etc are obviously taken care of) do they see the same picture that we see overall?
Mayor of plucktown :evil:

reggie1979

18 Jun 2019

O1B wrote:
16 Jun 2019
¡¡¡¡QUITE RIGHT!!!!

selig wrote:
14 Jun 2019

Nice pipe!

O1B

18 Jun 2019

Just for you FW. Hope you're still loving the M'Freak. I'm still loving it. Awesome Digital-ness!

Faastwalker wrote:
16 Jun 2019
Mobile Integration / Reason Compact – Kind of the same thing?

EdGrip

18 Jun 2019

Couple of things RE: mouse pointer and bomb diffusing:
You can hold down Shift when adjusting parameters to give you finer control.

And (I'm just gonna keep saying it like a catchphrase) - buy a gaming mouse. I'm not a gamer, but a gaming mouse has additional buttons that you can map to any common action or keyboard shortcut you like. One button to jump to the mixer window, another to flip the rack, that kind of thing. They often also have buttons for momentarily adjusting the precision/scale of the pointer. It'll change your life. The more buttons the better.

hurricane
Competition Winner

18 Jun 2019

So what are you all going to do when R11 releases without any sequencer/workflow improvements AND without a hi-res GUI? The Props think you're going to upgrade, like you always do.
Soundcloud | Youtube
Logic Pro | Bitwig

reddust

18 Jun 2019

hurricane wrote:
18 Jun 2019
So what are you all going to do when R11 releases without any sequencer/workflow improvements AND without a hi-res GUI? The Props think you're going to upgrade, like you always do.
well, there is still place for upgrading stock devices I guess :)

I'll see what kind of improvements does R11 bring and depending on them upgrade or wait for a further upgrade/version, as I guess the R11 upgrade is not going to be for free

boingy

18 Jun 2019

hurricane wrote:
18 Jun 2019
Some will automatically upgrade, others won't. I'm the latter, still on R9.5. They have to work harder for my $$$

Their pricing policy is wrong too. It should always be cheaper to upgrade from the most recent version than from every other version. That would apply a certain amount of pressure for folks to upgrade each time.

Luxuria

18 Jun 2019

hurricane wrote:
18 Jun 2019
:lol:
Well they did promote R10 as the biggest update ever. They could just go the other way and promote R11 as the smallest update ever.

Subscription model implemented.
PolyStep Sequencer+ Drum Sequencer permanently included into core program
2 new devices (simple sampler and all-in-one effects unit) added to desktop version/ sold for $10 each on Reason Compact
:lol:

ltbrunt00

18 Jun 2019

I voted for update stock devices. I do not want any changes in the current stock devices but would rather have them create updated versions while keeping the original devices. The original devices work perfectly and changes could jeopardize backwards functionality, automation in older songs. I would like updates without the risk.
Reason, Nuendo, Studio One
https://soundcloud.com/user-404930848

• Information