In the market for new laptop to use with Reason

This forum is for discussing Reason. Questions, answers, ideas, and opinions... all apply.
tiger jackson

26 May 2019

I mainly use a desktop pc, but use a laptop when I'm out of town. And I'm out of town, and my macbook air from 2013 just happened to crap out and cannot find its startup disk at all..
I'm looking for a windows laptop now because of VST support. I don't need a dedicated gpu. Just a strong enough cpu and enough memory to run well, I'm not even sure if I'd be connecting the laptop to an interface, will probably be completely in the box with it. A terabyte or more for storage. I don't wanna spend too much, maybr $300 or below. Anyone know if there's anything at this range?

Jmax

26 May 2019

I'd check facebook marketplace. I buy/sell here and there and found a great deal on an Lenovo i7 8gig ram and SD. I paid 350, brand new battery and really nice onboard audio. Make sure you're running Windows down as it has built in ASIO drivers. Or else you may have some issues plugging in headphones and hearing audio out of Reason.
The guy I bought from buys and sells laptops, repairs etc. So he became a bit of a friend and handles any laptop upgrades or issues I may have.
Generally I'd look for an i5 or i7 Inel, Quad core, 8 gig ram (expandable up to 16).
I like to jam at night on the laptop or just sit on the couch and listen through the phones.

reggie1979

26 May 2019

I couldn't not run Reason on a Dell I had with an i7. No matter how I tried to optimize it I'd get audio device stopped errors. Just be careful.

Oquasec

26 May 2019

For processing power a Desktop is ideal but if you want portability or something then just save up for a minimum i3 laptop since gpus don't mean shit in laptop land anyways.
Producer/Programmer.
Reason, FLS and Cubase NFR user.

tiger jackson

26 May 2019

Did some searching around and concluded what I was asking for was pretty impractical, these things are more expensive than I thought. I'd settle on at least 500gb SSD and around $500 or more dollars. Still can't really find one though.
Jmax wrote:
26 May 2019
I'd check facebook marketplace. I buy/sell here and there and found a great deal on an Lenovo i7 8gig ram and SD. I paid 350, brand new battery and really nice onboard audio. Make sure you're running Windows down as it has built in ASIO drivers. Or else you may have some issues plugging in headphones and hearing audio out of Reason.
The guy I bought from buys and sells laptops, repairs etc. So he became a bit of a friend and handles any laptop upgrades or issues I may have.
Generally I'd look for an i5 or i7 Inel, Quad core, 8 gig ram (expandable up to 16).
I like to jam at night on the laptop or just sit on the couch and listen through the phones.
I'm iffy on buying used pc's but I'll give this a look. Also what do you mean by "running windows down"?
reggie1979 wrote:
26 May 2019
I couldn't not run Reason on a Dell I had with an i7. No matter how I tried to optimize it I'd get audio device stopped errors. Just be careful.
Any brands I should avoid or stick to?

Oquasec

26 May 2019

If you aren't gonna be doing heavy gaming 70% of the laptop market is available to you.
Producer/Programmer.

reggie1979

26 May 2019

tiger jackson wrote:
26 May 2019
Did some searching around and concluded what I was asking for was pretty impractical, these things are more expensive than I thought. I'd settle on at least 500gb SSD and around $500 or more dollars. Still can't really find one though.
Jmax wrote:
26 May 2019
I'm iffy on buying used pc's but I'll give this a look. Also what do you mean by "running windows down"?
reggie1979 wrote:
26 May 2019
Mine was a Dell. It had plenty of ram and was SSD. I wouldn't recommend them but just be careful, make sure there is a return policy and that way if it's lame you can return it. I didn't because originally I used Bitwig which ran "ok" compared to Reason. Maybe it's different now with the optimizations from 10.3? Just cover your bases.

djadalaide

27 May 2019

Get a used ROG Strix GL702ZC - its pretty good. I can almost run 2 instances of spire RE with polyphony :lol:

reddust

27 May 2019

I'm using a windows surface book as my main pc for everything including working with Reason.

I know it's not in the budget but what I wanted to say is that in my case it makes a big difference if I have my laptop plugged to the power source or not, when not plugged in I can't almost make any use of reason and I get performance error issues in Reason, as soon as I plug the laptop in to the power source everything works smoothly.

I don't know if that's the case with other laptops but I guess it could happen to other laptops that have a detachable touch screen as well.

antic604

27 May 2019

reddust wrote:
27 May 2019
I'm using a windows surface book as my main pc for everything including working with Reason.

I know it's not in the budget but what I wanted to say is that in my case it makes a big difference if I have my laptop plugged to the power source or not, when not plugged in I can't almost make any use of reason and I get performance error issues in Reason, as soon as I plug the laptop in to the power source everything works smoothly.

I don't know if that's the case with other laptops but I guess it could happen to other laptops that have a detachable touch screen as well.
Are you enabling the high-performance mode? Because I've been using Surface Pro 4 (which should be weaker than Surface Book) and - especially since 10.3 - it ploughs through projects without a sweat. The high-DPI 12.3'' screen is an issue unless I'm on 200% scaling, but performance wise it's been great.

reddust

27 May 2019

antic604 wrote:
27 May 2019
reddust wrote:
27 May 2019

Are you enabling the high-performance mode? Because I've been using Surface Pro 4 (which should be weaker than Surface Book) and - especially since 10.3 - it ploughs through projects without a sweat. The high-DPI 12.3'' screen is an issue unless I'm on 200% scaling, but performance wise it's been great.
I guess I am, I actually followed one of Molten Music's tutorials on how to tweak the surface for a better performance when making music with it. Mine is working really fine since the 10.3 update, songs that would overload my CPU barely reach half the DSP bars now. The only thing is that I need to plug the Surface to the power supply every time I want to make music with it, but otherwise is working fine and it's nice to be able to tweak some faders with the touch screen

tiger jackson

27 May 2019

Oquasec wrote:
26 May 2019
If you aren't gonna be doing heavy gaming 70% of the laptop market is available to you.
No gaming at all, just web browsing, video watching, reason, and maybe reaper. So most important is a strong cpu that doesn't get overloaded to quickly. Should I have 8 gig ram minimum?

reggie1979

27 May 2019

Yeah, that should be your minimum.

Oquasec

27 May 2019

Simply put if you can run reaktor you can run reason.
Probably getting a macbook myself since I might be thinking about keeping windows only for custom built desktops.
Producer/Programmer.

Jmax

27 May 2019

tiger jackson wrote:
26 May 2019
Jmax wrote:
26 May 2019
reggie1979 wrote:
26 May 2019
You should be ok with most laptops that are running Win10. Lenovo's seem to work well. Dell's are usually ok as well.

I ran into problems plugging in headphones into my older laptop running Win7 because the audio wouldn't transfer through Reason for some reason. It played out of the speakers no problem. Win10 seems to take care of that issue.

Thing about new laptops is they're very pricey.
Just do a bit of research and try and get yourself something that's used. Keep in mind you can even buy a cheap new SSD 45 bucks and pop that in the laptop, upgrade the RAM etc.
It helps to know someone that can do it for you, most computer stores will do the upgrades for you for a small fee.
My SSD is only 128gig, with Windows installed and Office i think I"m left with like 80 gig. I thought about upgrading but realized there's no point. Work on a few tracks, install your key plugins. Upload anything to Google Drive that needs to be transferred/stored. Works plenty well.
Mostly I try to work on Drum tracks or synth lines on the laptop... then transfer over to my PC setup.

Oquasec

27 May 2019

The gpus aren't in the same league but I'm pretty sure laptops caught up in the cpu/ram department 11 years ago.
Producer/Programmer.

Jackjackdaw

28 May 2019

Jmax wrote:
26 May 2019
What is this Windows down?

O1B

28 May 2019

Took a buggy MBP 13" to apple yesterday. Yesterday.

The issue was $175 but they didn't charge for it. A good internal "spray" may be all it needs.
On my Air, the Audio I/O crapped out (Mother Board) and the Screen is Whited out. That's a pretty penny.

You never know.
tiger jackson wrote:
26 May 2019
I mainly use a desktop pc, but use a laptop when I'm out of town. And I'm out of town, and my macbook air from 2013 just happened to crap out and cannot find its startup disk at all..
I'm looking for a windows laptop now because of VST support. I don't need a dedicated gpu. Just a strong enough cpu and enough memory to run well, I'm not even sure if I'd be connecting the laptop to an interface, will probably be completely in the box with it. A terabyte or more for storage. I don't wanna spend too much, maybr $300 or below. Anyone know if there's anything at this range?

tiger jackson

28 May 2019

So I stumbled on this https://www.rakuten.com/shop/lenovo/pro ... y=10852245

Looks like it has most of what I was initially looking for. The price especially. Looks almost too good to be true. What's the catch here? Would this be a good one? Unsure about the I3 cpu though.

littlejam

28 May 2019

hello,

my concern with the rakuten
would be the 5400 rpm drive
these days everyone is going ssd
at minimum 7200 rpm
with multiple drives

can you replace the 5400 rpm drive with an ssd?

cheers,
j
littlejamaicastudios
i7 2.8ghz / 24GB ddr3 / Quadro 4000 x 2 / ProFire 610
reason 10 / reaper / acidpro /akai mpk mini / korg padkontrol / axiom 25 / radium 49
'i get by with a lot of help from my friends'

fullforce

28 May 2019

tiger jackson wrote:
28 May 2019

Looks like it has most of what I was initially looking for. The price especially. Looks almost too good to be true. What's the catch here? Would this be a good one? Unsure about the I3 cpu though.
If you think you can buy a new laptop for under 300 to run Reason 10 on, you're a few RE's short of a full rack.
This is a block of text that can be added to posts you make. There is a 255 character limit.

djadalaide

28 May 2019

fullforce wrote:
28 May 2019
tiger jackson wrote:
28 May 2019

If you think you can buy a new laptop for under 300 to run Reason 10 on, you're a few RE's short of a full rack.
Kind of why i said an 8-core machine, costing over 1000 2nd hand.. if anyone noticed :lol:

tiger jackson

25 Jun 2019

Alright, I'm back, kinda prepared for it now. So my local fry's electronics has these models

A dell https://www.frys.com/product/9560252?si ... IN_RSLT_PG

An asus, storage configuration on this seems cool https://www.frys.com/product/9466921?si ... IN_RSLT_PG

Another asus, this one has a gpu and clearance makes it less than the above https://www.frys.com/product/9528002?si ... IN_RSLT_PG

Any opinions?

fullforce

25 Jun 2019

tiger jackson wrote:
25 Jun 2019
Alright, I'm back, kinda prepared for it now. So my local fry's electronics has these models

A dell https://www.frys.com/product/9560252?si ... IN_RSLT_PG
Forget about that one.
An asus, storage configuration on this seems cool https://www.frys.com/product/9466921?si ... IN_RSLT_PG
This one has SSD, which is a must for running your operating system (and applications) from.
Another asus, this one has a gpu and clearance makes it less than the above https://www.frys.com/product/9528002?si ... IN_RSLT_PG
This one does not have SSD and the gpu is useless unless you play games.
This is a block of text that can be added to posts you make. There is a 255 character limit.

tiger jackson

25 Jun 2019

I consider myself a light gamer, I play them a couple times a month on my desktop pc but they aren't really important to me to be playing them when I'm mobile with a laptop, guess I will be going with this one then https://www.frys.com/product/9466921?si ... IN_RSLT_PG

• Information