Low MIDI keyboard input velocity

This forum is for discussing Reason. Questions, answers, ideas, and opinions... all apply.
dmrsunz

27 Apr 2019

If I bang my keyboard as hard as I would want I get a velocity level of about 68. Same for both of my keyboards. Any idea why?

napynap

05 May 2019

It would be helpful for this board if you would provide more information on the issue. Your subject includes the word MIDI. Is this MIDI over USB or actual MIDI port? A velocity level of about 68 suggests that it varies. If you look at each note's velocity in the sequencer, what is the lowest and highest velocity being recorded? A troubleshooting tool would be to install the free utility MIDI-OX (midiox.com). This utility runs without any DAW so you can see what your keyboard is sending to your computer.
visit http://www.napynap.com to learn more about me. Thank you.

MrFigg
Competition Winner

05 May 2019

I’ve got two keyboards and they have different velocity sensitivity. That said I’m not banging them as hard as I can.
🗲 2ॐ ᛉ

bitley

05 May 2019

Banging? How about playing?

MrFigg
Competition Winner

05 May 2019

bitley wrote:
05 May 2019
Banging? How about playing?
I think that’s what he’s doing. He said as hard as he would want.
🗲 2ॐ ᛉ

bitley

05 May 2019

Depends on a thousand things - to begin with, which controller is it?

middle_color

06 May 2019

A lot of midi controllers have weak velocity sensitivity, i have and i had several midi keyboards and pads - and i never was satisfied with velocity sensitivity.

Some of the keyboards have flexible settings for velocity curve, some not.

There is the RE that lets compress midi velocity to make it stronger: https://www.propellerheads.com/shop/rac ... ompressor/

Regular price is biting, but it goes on sale for 9$ quite often. I took it on sale and use it to fix mentioned problem.

• Information