CV arithmetic using rack extensions

This forum is for discussing Reason. Questions, answers, ideas, and opinions... all apply.
mashers

23 Apr 2019

I'm playing around with CV arithmetic using a CV generator, and the CMD:Equation RE. In the screenshot below, the CV generator is outputting a value of 16 from CV1, and a value of 4 from CV 2. You can see these on DISPLAY 1 and DISPLAY 2. If I configure the CMD:Equaation to add them together, it works fine - the value which is output is 20, as expected:
Screen Shot 2019-04-23 at 13.38.01.jpg
Screen Shot 2019-04-23 at 13.38.01.jpg (957.71 KiB) Viewed 1440 times
But if I set the CMD:Equation to divide CV1 by CV2 (which should result in a value of 4), I get a value of 127:
Screen Shot 2019-04-23 at 13.44.31.png
Screen Shot 2019-04-23 at 13.44.31.png (204.99 KiB) Viewed 1440 times
I think the problem is that CV is based on fractions of 128. So my integer values of 16 and 4 are being divided by 128, as can be seen on the CMD:Equation display (0.125 / 0.035). If you work out this sum, you arrive at 3.561. If you multiply this by 128, you clearly end up outside the range of CV.

What would be really nice would be something like CMD:Equation, but which allows you to specify an integer rather than a CV source as one of the factors. That way I could just set this to 4. But unless there is anything like that, I'm not sure where to go from here.

Loque

23 Apr 2019

You need to normalize the CV values between "-1.0<0<+1.0".

I tend to use https://socalabs.com/developer-tools/maths/ if i need something special and math-orientated stuff. Sadly it is a VST and not a RE and you need to convert from CV to Audio first and than back again.
Reason12, Win10

mashers

23 Apr 2019

Loque wrote:
23 Apr 2019

I tend to use https://socalabs.com/developer-tools/maths/ if i need something special and math-orientated stuff. Sadly it is a VST and not a RE and you need to convert from CV to Audio first and than back again.
Do you mean that they have to be scaled as a proportion within that range? How would I do that in this case? I'll check that VST out - thanks! I was actually just looking for a VST, so I'm happy to use them if necessary.

What I would really love is a REwith a programming language built in. Nothing elaborate, just basic if/then/elseif/else, variables and arithmetic operators. That would allow you to do pretty much anything with a CV source and output the result. Sadly I don't think anything like that exists, and although I'm a software developer myself, I don't have time to learn the RE API :(

Loque

23 Apr 2019

mashers wrote:
23 Apr 2019
Loque wrote:
23 Apr 2019

Do you mean that they have to be scaled as a proportion within that range? How would I do that in this case? I'll check that VST out - thanks! I was actually just looking for a VST, so I'm happy to use them if necessary.

What I would really love is a REwith a programming language built in. Nothing elaborate, just basic if/then/elseif/else, variables and arithmetic operators. That would allow you to do pretty much anything with a CV source and output the result. Sadly I don't think anything like that exists, and although I'm a software developer myself, I don't have time to learn the RE API :(
Not sure what you expect with your math, because the result is that number above 1.0. What is the maximum it should reach? if it is 1.0 than just round it (cut it with max(1,yourvalue)), if it need to be scaled, scale it down by dividing.

There was an attempt for such a RE AFAIK and it is forbidden. Would be very usefull...with a few knobs, buttons, input field, and some connections on the back for audio and CV. And finally the possibility to work on a buffer instead of just a sample. A simple JS engine would be could even if i have JS, but could be quite easy to integrate...
Reason12, Win10

mashers

23 Apr 2019

Loque wrote:
23 Apr 2019
Not sure what you expect with your math, because the result is that number above 1.0. What is the maximum it should reach? if it is 1.0 than just round it (cut it with max(1,yourvalue)), if it need to be scaled, scale it down by dividing.
I don't think that would work. In my example, I was expecting a result of 4 (16/4). That means a CV value of 0.03125. Putting a ceiling of 1.0 on it would result in an integer value of 127. I think the problem is that when the integer values are converted to CV range, and become less than 1.0, the result becomes exponentially larger when dividing, rather than becoming smaller.
Loque wrote:
23 Apr 2019
There was an attempt for such a RE AFAIK and it is forbidden. Would be very usefull...with a few knobs, buttons, input field, and some connections on the back for audio and CV. And finally the possibility to work on a buffer instead of just a sample. A simple JS engine would be could even if i have JS, but could be quite easy to integrate...
That's a shame. I wonder why it's not allowed? It's not like something with such basic functions could be used as an exploit. Perhaps they're worried about somebody inevitably porting Doom to it :lol:

mashers

23 Apr 2019

I actually didn't expect this to work, but it does.
Screen Shot 2019-04-23 at 14.48.55.png
Screen Shot 2019-04-23 at 14.48.55.png (726.65 KiB) Viewed 1394 times
Screen Shot 2019-04-23 at 14.50.33.png
Screen Shot 2019-04-23 at 14.50.33.png (647.47 KiB) Viewed 1394 times
The modulation matrices of the Thor devices are just set to route CV IN 1 to Audio Out 1 in Thor 1, and vice versa in Thor 2. It works perfectly. As I increase the value of the CV generator, I can see its value divided by four in the bottom display. This is amazing, thank you!

ScuzzyEye

23 Apr 2019

mashers wrote:
23 Apr 2019
Loque wrote:
23 Apr 2019
I don't think that would work. In my example, I was expecting a result of 4 (16/4). That means a CV value of 0.03125. Putting a ceiling of 1.0 on it would result in an integer value of 127. I think the problem is that when the integer values are converted to CV range, and become less than 1.0, the result becomes exponentially larger when dividing, rather than becoming smaller.
CV always uses the 0.0 to 1.0 range internally, that's how it's delivered via CV jacks. What an instrument or effect does with that range (e.g. map 0.0 to 0, and 1.0 to 127) is up to the device. The note mapping is standardized as 0 to 127, but the rounding is still up to the device to get right (e.g. is a CV value of 0.5, MIDI note 63, or 64?). Other devices don't map it to an integer at all, when controlling knobs, but instead apply decimal values directly as an offset. There's also no limit for the CV range. Generally 0.0 to 1.0 is the working range for unipolar values, and -1.0 to 1.0 is for bipolar. But values outside of that range can easily be sent over CV cables. What happens when interpreted by the device (e.g. clamped to a max of 1.0) is entirely dependent on how the device is coded.

So maybe if you approach the math from the perspective that CV is always a decimal, and is only scaled to an integer for display or use inside the device, you may have a better idea of what's going on.

mashers

23 Apr 2019

ScuzzyEye wrote:
23 Apr 2019
CV always uses the 0.0 to 1.0 range internally, that's how it's delivered via CV jacks. What an instrument or effect does with that range (e.g. map 0.0 to 0, and 1.0 to 127) is up to the device. The note mapping is standardized as 0 to 127, but the rounding is still up to the device to get right (e.g. is a CV value of 0.5, MIDI note 63, or 64?). Other devices don't map it to an integer at all, when controlling knobs, but instead apply decimal values directly as an offset. There's also no limit for the CV range. Generally 0.0 to 1.0 is the working range for unipolar values, and -1.0 to 1.0 is for bipolar. But values outside of that range can easily be sent over CV cables. What happens when interpreted by the device (e.g. clamped to a max of 1.0) is entirely dependent on how the device is coded.

So maybe if you approach the math from the perspective that CV is always a decimal, and is only scaled to an integer for display or use inside the device, you may have a better idea of what's going on.
I think that's what I was trying to get across when I said about it being a fraction of 128. It's like defining colours in the Cocoa API; the RGB values are 0-255, but in Cocoa you have to express them as floating point values in the range 0.0..1.0. So if you know the RGB values, you divide them by 255 to get the floating point value. I interpret CV the same: 0.0..1.0 (or -1.0..1.0), as representations of a range from 0-127. I get what you are saying about the device being responsible for the subsequent conversion and interpretation of the value within the normal range (or otherwise) and I suspect I may be falling foul of some of the conversion here.

In the rack I posted subsequently using the maths VST, I found that if I routed another signal into the right channel, I had the same problem when dividing one by the other (e.g. l/r); the value jumped to (and I suspected exceeded) 127. So I changed the expression to (l/r)*128 and it worked perfectly. I could then set CV 1 to 16 and CV 2 to 4, and get a value of 4 as the result (and also see it working with other input values and division factors). Being able to type in a more specific equation (rather than the more cumbersome and limited Rack Extension I tried) makes it much easier to achieve what is required.

mashers

23 Apr 2019

And now of course I'm wondering if I can get it to overflow if I put a large enough number in the Maths VST ;)

ScuzzyEye

23 Apr 2019

mashers wrote:
23 Apr 2019
And now of course I'm wondering if I can get it to overflow if I put a large enough number in the Maths VST ;)
CV values are passed using 64-bit floating point. But it may hit a limit around 3.4E+38, if passes through a 32-bit float anywhere. Also the upper limit for the integer range stored without loss in a 32-bit floats is 16,777,215.

WongoTheSane

23 Apr 2019

If you multiply the divisor by 256, you'll get the result you expect.

16 / 4 = 4
0.0625 / ( 0.015625 * 256 ) = 0.015625

mashers

23 Apr 2019

ScuzzyEye wrote:
23 Apr 2019
CV values are passed using 64-bit floating point. But it may hit a limit around 3.4E+38, if passes through a 32-bit float anywhere. Also the upper limit for the integer range stored without loss in a 32-bit floats is 16,777,215.
I tried it, and the meter topped out at 8.0 raw value, or 100% signal value, and capped the CV integer value at 127. So I assume that either the VST is preventing it from overflowing, or the CV meter is, or more likely Reason's CV engine.
WongoTheSane wrote:
23 Apr 2019
If you multiply the divisor by 256, you'll get the result you expect.

16 / 4 = 4
0.0625 / ( 0.015625 * 256 ) = 0.015625
The problem here is that with the arithmetic RE I tried, you can't input a decimal value. You can only use CV inputs as variables, which means all of your available factors are fractions of 1.0. You can't multiply it by anything > 1. The Maths VST solved this problem because you can actually type in the equation, meaning you can add integer values to correct for this issue.

WongoTheSane

23 Apr 2019

mashers wrote:
23 Apr 2019

The problem here is that with the arithmetic RE I tried, you can't input a decimal value. You can only use CV inputs as variables, which means all of your available factors are fractions of 1.0. You can't multiply it by anything > 1. The Maths VST solved this problem because you can actually type in the equation, meaning you can add integer values to correct for this issue.
Stab in the dark here, but wouldn't it be possible to have a device output a value of 1, then go through a CV Janitor on both inputs in series, each doubling the value, and then use that to have a value of 4 as CV input? I understand it's pretty moot as the value you want as divisor would change over time, but it might be a starting point...

dvdrtldg

23 Apr 2019

*cough*NERDS*cough*

rgdaniel

23 Apr 2019

dvdrtldg wrote:
23 Apr 2019
*cough*NERDS*cough*
:lol: :lol: :lol:

mashers

23 Apr 2019

WongoTheSane wrote:
23 Apr 2019
mashers wrote:
23 Apr 2019

Stab in the dark here, but wouldn't it be possible to have a device output a value of 1, then go through a CV Janitor on both inputs in series, each doubling the value, and then use that to have a value of 4 as CV input? I understand it's pretty moot as the value you want as divisor would change over time, but it might be a starting point...
Possibly, but I suspect I would have the same problem sending in a signal which had been doubled and doubled again as I did when I just sent a value of four. If you have a look at my thread about splitting a Combi knob to control four devices, you’ll see that the VST solution actually worked better than I could have hoped :)

WongoTheSane

24 Apr 2019

mashers wrote:
23 Apr 2019
Possibly, but I suspect I would have the same problem sending in a signal which had been doubled and doubled again as I did when I just sent a value of four. If you have a look at my thread about splitting a Combi knob to control four devices, you’ll see that the VST solution actually worked better than I could have hoped :)
Yes, a very interesting solution, I'm going to try this too!

mashers

24 Apr 2019

WongoTheSane wrote:
24 Apr 2019
Yes, a very interesting solution, I'm going to try this too!
It certainly opens up some very interesting possibilities for iterative, modulated sequencing and parameter modifications. Anything which is controllable using CV can be modified using an equation which can take other CV sources as a variable...

• Information