10.3 is out!

This forum is for discussing Reason. Questions, answers, ideas, and opinions... all apply.
anDre

18 Apr 2019

Ok thank you Logue and DinoJ.

It's weird, i never had that problem with Grain before 10.3, nothing other has changed.

Przemyslaw

19 Apr 2019

I must admit that I have "made a lot of money" thanks to update 10.3. Although I have never imagined moving to another program, be it Cubase, Pro tools, Logic, Ableton or anything, I know them all and I prefer Reason, so I had the next specter of huge expenses to strengthen my computer.
Now I am unbelievably happy that I can clog my DSP with other instruments. Because I work on usually large projects, no matter if acoustic or electronic music is usually 40-80 channels, I estimate the overall performance to be almost twice as high as 10.2. This gives a huge sense of freedom because there is nothing worse than fighting with a stuck project when you are already approaching the end of work on it.

A huge THANK YOU to the entire Propellerhead team !

EdGrip

19 Apr 2019

Yep. Introducing VST compatibility despite hell not being frozen over; and then overhauling the program to bring performance gains.
Both good calls, Propellerhead. Cheers. :)

S1GNL

20 Apr 2019

manuel radioact77 wrote:
18 Apr 2019
For what it's worth:

Reason user since version 4 (actually since before that, since Rebirth)

I upgraded from Reason 9.5.4d5 to 10.3.

So, just in terms of performace and how Reason 10.3 runs a 9.5.4d5 project I just opened my last project wich was fairly heavy with

2 instances of Arturia's Synclavier, 1 Arturia Mini V3, 2 instances of Addictive drums, 2 Legends, 1 Korg Mono/Poly, 5 audio tracks with lots of processing, Waves' NLS Channel and SSL Comp on the master bus, plus a lot of bus/group processing with Soundtoys, more Waves, Valhalla, Arturia compressors, u-He Colour Copy delay, etc.

Note: My send effects (reverbs, delays, chorus) are going through mix channels.

So: in a very unscientific experience only based in very basic comparison i'd say in this project i experienced about 30% of performance improvement. Reason 10.3 is handling this project very smoothly and easily.

Nothing weird or wrong in terms of how the project runs or sounds with Reason 10.3, not even with the send effects through the mix channels. Everything is good. Plus, as said before, a fairly good performance boost, as expected.

Very satisfied costumer here. :)

Intel 7 6700HQ
16 GB RAM,
512 GB SSD HD and 3.5 Terabyte external Hard drive HDD 7200 rpm
Line 6 KB 37 A/D, 44100Hz; 24 bit, buffer size at 1024.

Peace :)
Slightly off-topic: You can’t use mix channels as sends without a delay (causing phasing)

I’ve recognized that by accident in one of my projects a few weeks ago.

The PDC engine adds ms delay according to the reported samples to each channel. So, the input send signal is "additionally" delayed.

manuel radioact77

20 Apr 2019

S1GNL wrote:
20 Apr 2019
manuel radioact77 wrote:
18 Apr 2019
For what it's worth:

Reason user since version 4 (actually since before that, since Rebirth)

I upgraded from Reason 9.5.4d5 to 10.3.

So, just in terms of performace and how Reason 10.3 runs a 9.5.4d5 project I just opened my last project wich was fairly heavy with

2 instances of Arturia's Synclavier, 1 Arturia Mini V3, 2 instances of Addictive drums, 2 Legends, 1 Korg Mono/Poly, 5 audio tracks with lots of processing, Waves' NLS Channel and SSL Comp on the master bus, plus a lot of bus/group processing with Soundtoys, more Waves, Valhalla, Arturia compressors, u-He Colour Copy delay, etc.

Note: My send effects (reverbs, delays, chorus) are going through mix channels.

So: in a very unscientific experience only based in very basic comparison i'd say in this project i experienced about 30% of performance improvement. Reason 10.3 is handling this project very smoothly and easily.

Nothing weird or wrong in terms of how the project runs or sounds with Reason 10.3, not even with the send effects through the mix channels. Everything is good. Plus, as said before, a fairly good performance boost, as expected.

Very satisfied costumer here. :)

Intel 7 6700HQ
16 GB RAM,
512 GB SSD HD and 3.5 Terabyte external Hard drive HDD 7200 rpm
Line 6 KB 37 A/D, 44100Hz; 24 bit, buffer size at 1024.

Peace :)
Slightly off-topic: You can’t use mix channels as sends without a delay (causing phasing)

I’ve recognized that by accident in one of my projects a few weeks ago.

The PDC engine adds ms delay according to the reported samples to each channel. So, the input send signal is "additionally" delayed.
Yes i heard that before about this new Reason update but in my experience i don't hear it. I'm not doing any feed back loop with the effects. From what I hear everything is ok. :thumbs_up: :)

GRIFTY

20 Apr 2019

Was I the only one who has their software bricked by this update? I searched across Twitter, here, and Facebook and only found one other person complaining about this update. It seems to be almost universally loved! I'm on a ryzen 7 based system, maybe had something to do with it? Anybody else with ryzen having issues? Or maybe an older gen focusrite Scarlett? I have legitimately no idea and propellerheads have left my support ticket completely idle for like four straight days

Aquila

20 Apr 2019

I'm thrilled with the performance improvements. I'm one of the apparent few who has always been modest with plugin usage so have seldom exceeded my resources, but there were still a few that originally hit the red but now run with a significant improvement.

I was initially put out by the CV delays and other new limitations but have since started to find ways around them. So I'm starting to move along nicely now.

Thanks to all the team involved at Props HQ!

chaosroyale

20 Apr 2019

S1GNL wrote:
20 Apr 2019

Dumb question from me- what exactly do you mean "use mix channels as sends"? - could you give me a routeing example, because it seems like it's different from the way I do things and I am always interested in hearing about other people's ways of routeing stuff.

chimp_spanner

21 Apr 2019

chaosroyale wrote:
20 Apr 2019
S1GNL wrote:
20 Apr 2019

Dumb question from me- what exactly do you mean "use mix channels as sends"? - could you give me a routeing example, because it seems like it's different from the way I do things and I am always interested in hearing about other people's ways of routeing stuff.
It’s where instead of the fx send going to an effect, and then back out of that effect and to the fx return, it goes to the input of a mix channel. The effect or effects then go in the insert slot of the mix channel, and then the channel output goes to the return.

All it means is that the fx bus shows up on the mixer as a channel that you can EQ, compress, gate, etc. using the SSL controls.

It’s definitely useful (and more in line with how other DAWs work). But otherwise you can get the same sound by just chaining Eq and compression devices after your send effect before the return (or put it all in a combinator). It’s just that immediate control in the SSL view you’re lacking.

Reminiscence

21 Apr 2019

Still no VST3 support?

xbitz

21 Apr 2019

chimp_spanner wrote:
21 Apr 2019
chaosroyale wrote:
20 Apr 2019

It’s where instead of the fx send going to an effect, and then back out of that effect and to the fx return, it goes to the input of a mix channel. The effect or effects then go in the insert slot of the mix channel, and then the channel output goes to the return.

All it means is that the fx bus shows up on the mixer as a channel that you can EQ, compress, gate, etc. using the SSL controls.

It’s definitely useful (and more in line with how other DAWs work). But otherwise you can get the same sound by just chaining Eq and compression devices after your send effect before the return (or put it all in a combinator). It’s just that immediate control in the SSL view you’re lacking.
if u can worth to check this series https://www.groove3.com/tutorials/Reaso ... s-and-Tips u can find a video about
14.Mix Channels as Sends

Nesting effects inside Mix Channels as send effects gives you access to the SSL's macro features, sidechaining and full EQ and is a fantastic way to use the send FX section.
too
:reason: :recycle: :re: :record: :refill: :rt:

xylyx

21 Apr 2019

Reminiscence wrote:
21 Apr 2019
Still no VST3 support?
There wasn't expected to be any support for VST3 in this update...

dvdrtldg

21 Apr 2019

S1GNL wrote:
20 Apr 2019
Is this supposed to be a universal thing? Because I have all my sends going to mix channels and can't hear any phasing at all since upgrading to 10.3

diminished
Competition Winner

21 Apr 2019

dvdrtldg wrote:
21 Apr 2019
S1GNL wrote:
20 Apr 2019
Is this supposed to be a universal thing? Because I have all my sends going to mix channels and can't hear any phasing at all since upgrading to 10.3
If the "mix channel aux" contains a 100% wet reverb or delay or anything really, no one cares about delay.
:reason: Most recent track: resentment (synthwave) || Others: on my YouTube channel •ᴗ•

aeox
Competition Winner

21 Apr 2019

diminished wrote:
21 Apr 2019
dvdrtldg wrote:
21 Apr 2019

If the "mix channel aux" contains a 100% wet reverb or delay or anything really, no one cares about delay.
Precisely.

moneykube

21 Apr 2019

something people need to be aware of imo... https://help.propellerheads.com/hc/en-u ... BsXAJrvw7s
https://soundcloud.com/moneykube-qube/s ... d-playlist
Proud Member Of The Awesome League Of Perpetuals

Boombastix
Competition Winner

21 Apr 2019

dvdrtldg wrote:
21 Apr 2019

Also, depends on your buffer setting. Bigger buffer = more delay. Potential issue with percussive sounds that are blended back. Probably very small issue with 100% wet delay effects (delay/reverb) or phase effects (chorus/phaser), but if you get phasing with a chorus that does phasing effects you may not hear it, or just a slight difference I suppose. I don't work this way, if I have 6 background vocal tracks, then I send them to a stereo bus, and put FX on the bus insert. That is how I save CPU, but it also simplifies leveling and FX management (incl automation) with just one FX setup per sound source category.
Sure, you can save more CPU with send FX, but if you want a longer reverb on a synth, but not for the vocal that used the same send, then well, problems. Either way works though.
10% off at Waves with link: https://www.waves.com/r/6gh2b0
Disclaimer - I get 10% as well.

BruDep

22 Apr 2019

Installed 10.3 now my Line 6 Toneport UX8 does not work.. tried it in another DAW... No problems...

MrFigg
Competition Winner

22 Apr 2019

BruDep wrote:
22 Apr 2019
Installed 10.3 now my Line 6 Toneport UX8 does not work.. tried it in another DAW... No problems...
Guess you’ve tried reinstalling the drivers?
Make sure the Toneport is set to Reason3.
I hate Line 6.
🗲 2ॐ ᛉ

kuniklo

25 Apr 2019

The UI is still extremely sluggish on my Macbook Pro. Might even be worse than before the update. Is anyone else seeing this?

MattiasHG
Reason Studios

25 Apr 2019

kuniklo wrote:
25 Apr 2019
The UI is still extremely sluggish on my Macbook Pro. Might even be worse than before the update. Is anyone else seeing this?
We've found two things that can help here. Running Reason in Low-Res mode (right-click Reason app, get info, tick the box) and a weird connection to color profiles in macOS. Try setting it to Color LCD or sRGB.

dioxide

25 Apr 2019

moneykube wrote:
21 Apr 2019
something people need to be aware of imo... https://help.propellerheads.com/hc/en-u ... BsXAJrvw7s
Good to see a comprehensive post that talks clearly about the situations that might cause problems. Thanks for sharing it here.

friday

25 Apr 2019

Had a full Reason 10.3 crash yesterday, after dragging an Arturia Synth in to the Rack. Reason closed immediately and I needed to reboot windows, to be able to start Reason again. Could not reconstruct this behavior again. Is there a Log/Dump for the next time, that I can send to Propellerheads so they be able to improve the stability furthermore?

Loque

25 Apr 2019

friday wrote:
25 Apr 2019
Had a full Reason 10.3 crash yesterday, after dragging an Arturia Synth in to the Rack. Reason closed immediately and I needed to reboot windows, to be able to start Reason again. Could not reconstruct this behavior again. Is there a Log/Dump for the next time, that I can send to Propellerheads so they be able to improve the stability furthermore?
You can try to chech the event log of windows if it has stored a crash dump. Also you can try to locate the Reason logs, i think they are in somewhere in your user folder %ALLUSERSPROFILE%, %HOMEPATH%, %APPDATA%, ... cannot remember...
Reason12, Win10

kuniklo

25 Apr 2019

MattiasHG wrote:
25 Apr 2019
We've found two things that can help here. Running Reason in Low-Res mode (right-click Reason app, get info, tick the box) and a weird connection to color profiles in macOS. Try setting it to Color LCD or sRGB.
Low res mode definitely helps, although it is still far less responsive than other DAWs on this same machine. It also looks terrible. I didn't notice much of a change from changing the color profile.

I guess I'll be sitting out this upgrade too. Great to see you guys are addressing the performance issues but you've got a ways to go still, at least on Macs. It's disappointing because I really like the Reason devices and the sequencer.

• Information