Record 1.5 Compatibility

This forum is for discussing Reason. Questions, answers, ideas, and opinions... all apply.
lowski

26 Feb 2019

Hi everyone,

I have a question about Record 1.5 compatibility.

I have a mid 2009 MBP (OSX 10.6.8) with Reason 4 and Record 1 installed. I'm wondering if I can upgrade to Record 1.5.1 without upgrading Reason 4 to Reason 5?. I came across this propellerhead page (*) and it says that "Record 1.5.1 does not work with Reason version 4". I guess my other question is does Record work without Reason or do they both need to be installed? I ask because both Reason and Record can run as separate applications. I'm able to open Record without opening Reason. I was also able to download the dmg file for Record 1.5.1 from the propellerhead link below. But before I try installing it I wanted to make sure everything would work properly.

(*) https://www.propellerheads.com/download/record/

I also own Reason 10, installed on a separate computer (Mac Mini, OSX 10.11.6). I don't want to update my MBP so that's why I'm asking about Reason 4 and Record 1.5.

Thank you

Baylo

26 Feb 2019

If memory serves, you could run Record by itself, or Reason by itself, or both of them simultaneously but separately, or both of them integrated together (similar to Reason from v6 onwards) depending on the order in which you opened the applications. And I think you could buy the applications separately or as a "Duo" package together.

Based on that, I imagine that you could install Record 1.5 (I assume it's compatible with your OS version). But you would sacrifice any possibility of running the integrated state of Reason/Record since - as you noted - you'd still be using a now-incompatible version of Reason 4.

pushedbutton

26 Feb 2019

If I remember correctly from the olden days, Propellerhead Record came along during Reason 5's reign. Version 6 integrated Records functions into Reason.
So Record only integrates with Reason 5 as far as I know.
Due to the way Propellerhead have upgrade paths for their software you'd be lucky to find a Reason 5 upgrade for sale, most people who had Reason 5 and Record took advantage of 'Pay What you Want' for an upgrade to version 6.
Those who have version 6 can't sell you their old copy because their current licence depends on them keeping older licences registered to them.
Not saying what you're trying to achieve is impossible, but it's unlikely.
@pushedbutton on twitter, add me, send me a message, but don't try to sell me stuff cos I'm skint.
Using Reason since version 3 and still never finished a song.

Baylo

26 Feb 2019

The first two paragraphs of Sound On Sound's Reason 5/Record 1.5 review from 2010 seem to imply that Record 1.5 can be installed alongside (but not integrate with) Reason 4: https://www.soundonsound.com/reviews/pr ... d-reason-5

Maybe it's just worth trying to confirm with the Props directly.

lowski

26 Feb 2019

Hey guys, thanks for the responses and advice, I really appreciate it.

I think what confuses me is the talk of Reason and Record integrating since I can currently run Record 1.0 without running Reason 4.0 and I have all the same Instruments and Effects as R4 plus some extras like ID8 and Line 6 Bass/Guitar Amp, as well as Blocks, Sampling and On-screen Piano Keys!. I actually never tried running both R4 and Rec1 together. I never saw the need or was even sure how it would work.

Looking at the Sound On Sound article I see R5/Rec1.5 was released at the same time and introduces Kong, Dr. Oct Rex and Neptune. Maybe you needed R5 so the new Instruments and Effects would be available in Rec1.5?. Or maybe needing R5 for the updated Factory/Orkester Sound Bank?.

Also the Record 1.5.1 update is free from the Propellerhead site (without logging in). So I'm thinking of relabeling my Record folder to Record 1.0 and then trying the 1.5.1 update so I can hopefully have both versions installed in case of problems. I'm hoping that if 1.5 doesn't have the new features and instruments/effects I can just drag it to the trash bin and use or reinstall Record 1.0. I know doing a system back-up would be ideal in this case but I'm out of disc space on my external HD...

lowski

26 Feb 2019

So I went ahead and tried installing Rec 1.5.1 and got a pop-up.
Reason version 5 not found.png
Reason version 5 not found.png (35.57 KiB) Viewed 1126 times
I guess you need R5 for new features and instruments/effects to work.

Oh well, no worries. It would be nice if you could install older versions to fit your OS but would probably be a major headache for PH.

Anyway, Thanks for the help guys!

• Information