Can Reason Rewire to any software with video editing features?

This forum is for discussing Reason. Questions, answers, ideas, and opinions... all apply.
Jagwah

16 Feb 2019

As the title asks, tired of googling to find a 'no' everywhere.

Sony Vegas never supported rewire, Davince Resolve doesn't either. Basically I cant find any Rewire capable softwares that I can slave / host with Reason that can give me a few video editing features.

People always get my hopes up but it turns out these are only ever solutions for scoring, which is a world away from editing video and audio together.

What about rewiring to another DAW with video editing features? Seem to be only capable of scoring as far as I can tell.

Can anyone offer any suggestions that can allow me to work in Reason and edit video at the same time (not just 'scoring' but editing video too), using rewire, another DAW, heck even Mac possibilities?????????

Many thanks.

Oquasec

16 Feb 2019

I think acid was the only one who could do that but not anymore if I recall.
I would just rewire into Protools for that myself.
Producer/Programmer.
Reason, FLS and Cubase NFR user.

Jagwah

16 Feb 2019

Oquasec wrote:
16 Feb 2019
I would just rewire into Protools for that myself.
That could be the answer I was looking for, thanks for commenting.

Jagwah

16 Feb 2019

I looked up pro tools video editing and was met with mostly sarcasm about endless crashing.
Seems it can only do very basic slicing too, no stretching.

Starting to look at less known software.

Still very open to any suggestions anyone!

aeox
Competition Winner

16 Feb 2019

What would the benefits be for being able to edit video and audio at the same time? (genuine curiosity)

I only thought people either scored to video or edited video to fit the music.

Marc64

16 Feb 2019

I used Ableton live a while back and I think you can cut and edit the video there

Oquasec

16 Feb 2019

For actual video editing, I would suggest just doing that in Post production unless they make software that lets you link two programs.
Producer/Programmer.
Reason, FLS and Cubase NFR user.

kuhliloach

16 Feb 2019

this might help a little: http://vidplayvst.com/index.htm

WeLoveYouToo

19 Feb 2019

i use davinci for video and reason for audio...
when i need to edit audio, i export bounced tracks from reason and use the sequencer in davinci and load my vst’s in there... it’s not ideal, but i started video editing back in the day so writing timestamps in a notepad is 2nd nature to me. davinci works very well as a daw in the latest version 15.

Jagwah

02 Mar 2019

Thanks everyone but I still have not found a good solution. People still struggle to see the difference between video scoring and editing, but I appreciate the input all the same. Sony Vegas allows you to set the sequencer to BPM with your preferred time signature, and that is the best I have so far. I will look in to Da Vinci some more also.

I see a big gap in the market for a DAW with a video track with a few editing features, but maybe that market gap is just wishful thinking.

aeox wrote:
16 Feb 2019
What would the benefits be for being able to edit video and audio at the same time? (genuine curiosity)

I only thought people either scored to video or edited video to fit the music.
I am of the strong belief that editing / creating video and audio on the fly opens up different creative paths that would otherwise not happen. It's just like working in Reason and interesting things happen - so we take them further. Say I added a video stutter on a video, then I put that stuttered audio in reason and added an effect to it, then when I put them back together it opens up a new creative idea or path to follow, or maybe it just worked so well that I want to extend it. This wouldn't happen if either the audio or video was completed before the other. Hope that makes sense.

toddbooster

02 Mar 2019

Mixcraft? It's a whole DAW with rewire and video editing capabilities. I basically know nothing about NLEs, so I can't say whether the editing capabilities are any good, but give it a look.

Jagwah

02 Mar 2019

toddbooster wrote:
02 Mar 2019
Mixcraft? It's a whole DAW with rewire and video editing capabilities. I basically know nothing about NLEs, so I can't say whether the editing capabilities are any good, but give it a look.
Oh man it has the video editing features I need and it rewires too!!!! Thanks so much for commenting, this may be what I have been searching for all this time! : D

toddbooster

03 Mar 2019

Jagwah wrote:
02 Mar 2019
Oh man it has the video editing features I need and it rewires too!!!! Thanks so much for commenting, this may be what I have been searching for all this time! : D
Great! I hope it works out for you.

Jagwah

03 Mar 2019

toddbooster wrote:
03 Mar 2019
Jagwah wrote:
02 Mar 2019
Great! I hope it works out for you.
Thanks, it's probably the best solution I've had so far as it Rewires and has editing features but it can't reverse clips. It can stretch them and they can be sliced and rearranged, but the need to use a different program to reverse is a pretty flow breaking one. Will stick with Vegas for right now, and will keep preying to the universe for Reason video support some time in the next few years. Thanks again :)

mojomills

03 Mar 2019

following along on this thread. Just wanted to say that I tried Josh Levy's new ReasonSync2 update and it is basically useless in its current form. No editing capabilities either. It is essentially a very very simple playback device with some glitches. This mixcraft looks interesting...oh wait, Windows only :oops:

Jagwah

04 Mar 2019

mojomills wrote:
03 Mar 2019
following along on this thread. Just wanted to say that I tried Josh Levy's new ReasonSync2 update and it is basically useless in its current form. No editing capabilities either. It is essentially a very very simple playback device with some glitches. This mixcraft looks interesting...oh wait, Windows only :oops:
ReasonSync2 is specifically for scoring purposes, so just being a synchronised playback device is actually all it needs to be.

Mixcraft crashed on me a lot when rewired, and I needed to reboot each time for it to work again. It did do what it says on the tin, but a tiny bit lacking for me.

I'll stick with Sony Vegas for now, and keep dreaming about how amazing a video track would be in Reason. Maybe one day :)

BananaSkins

04 Mar 2019

It one or the other I'm afraid :(

Nice concept thought :thumbs_up: one single daw that allows you to fully edit video and compose the music from scratch.

I just wish Reason would advance like other daws and incorporate simple options for composing to picture like markers / time stamps and an included video player etc...no more rewiring Reason into Cubase...here's hoping). :puf_wink:

EndOfGreatness

04 Mar 2019

Absolutely! Sonar X3 has rewire capability and video support. This is how I track audio from Reason to Video.
Sound Designer for 1336 Studios - Reasoning since 2001

BananaSkins

05 Mar 2019

EndOfGreatness wrote:
04 Mar 2019
Absolutely! Sonar X3 has rewire capability and video support. This is how I track audio from Reason to Video.

You can't do video editing at all in SONAR...this is what the OP wants...

EndOfGreatness

09 Mar 2019

BananaSkins wrote:
05 Mar 2019
EndOfGreatness wrote:
04 Mar 2019

You absolutely can track video in SONAR, you just can't edit it. It allows you to run a video synched up to the ReWire clock.
Sound Designer for 1336 Studios - Reasoning since 2001

BananaSkins

10 Mar 2019

EndOfGreatness wrote:
09 Mar 2019
BananaSkins wrote:
05 Mar 2019

You absolutely can track video in SONAR, you just can't edit it. It allows you to run a video synched up to the ReWire clock.
Now what's the difference in me saying 'you can't do video editing' and you saying 'you just can't edit it' ?

Is it me? :roll: :roll: :roll:

Jagwah

10 Mar 2019

The struggle is real.

I'll just drop a 'you tube poop' video here. Do you guys see how it's chopped up and reversed and the audio has been changed? Can you believe somebody would want to do this? It's only using a few basic video editing tasks for all of it, if we had that capability in Reason it would be amazing. This video is a parody but the editing features can be used in all kinds of, if not infinite creative ways.

BananaSkins

10 Mar 2019

Jagwah wrote:
10 Mar 2019
The struggle is real.

I'll just drop a 'you tube poop' video here. Do you guys see how it's chopped up and reversed and the audio has been changed? Can you believe somebody would want to do this? It's only using a few basic video editing tasks for all of it, if we had that capability in Reason it would be amazing. This video is a parody but the editing features can be used in all kinds of, if not infinite creative ways.

If this is what you want to achieve I would say a program like Sony Vegas Pro could achieve all the results you see and hear in this video. No Rewire or Reason needed... :thumbs_up:

Jagwah

10 Mar 2019

comment removed
Last edited by Jagwah on 16 Mar 2019, edited 2 times in total.

BananaSkins

16 Mar 2019

Jagwah wrote:
10 Mar 2019
BananaSkins wrote:
10 Mar 2019
If this is what you want to achieve I would say a program like Sony Vegas Pro could achieve all the results you see and hear in this video. No Rewire or Reason needed... :thumbs_up:
When I posted this video last night I was thinking I should probably add a massive disclaimer, things like "For all the people saying this, no it's not that, for all the people saying this other thing, no it's no that either." This part would have been for you BananaSkins: "This is not everything I need and want in this video, it's an example showing video editing is far different than simply scoring."

And that is my video support efforts done for a while, I am not answering this thread anymore, I am bordering on getting wound up. I will try again down the track, thanks everyone for the input.
Yeah...

I didn't have my crystal ball out for what you were thinking! :roll:

• Information