Anyone just use a laptop for Reason?

This forum is for discussing Reason. Questions, answers, ideas, and opinions... all apply.
MirEko

21 Jan 2015

In running a 2012 MacBook Pro with 4gb ram i5 processor and 256gb ssd. I hit the "computer too slow" on nearly every song I make and often on even little loops??! How you guys are still using core2duos baffles me really!
:reason: :record: :re: :ignition: :refill: :PUF_take: :PUF_figure:

X1Lo

21 Jan 2015

I only use a laptop, but would very much prefer a desktop.  This spring is when I plan to purchase a desktop for the first time.  I am unable to run very many rack extensions at one time(normally around 10) but hopefully that will change. 
"As I stare into the digital abyss, I will remember when the world was real."

ollie0186

21 Jan 2015

Heater wrote:I'm just curious.

I've got several PC's in the house but I only use my now ageing 2009 Unibody macbook pro.
It's the convenience couple with the comfort of sitting on my couch with headphones on creating music.

Does anyone else just use a laptop?
GeorgeFeb wrote:
I have only laptop atm & I'm currently making a track in Reason Limited, have to say it took me not that much time to get use to using Reason on 15.6 inch monitor, pretty lovely feeling, compact & stuff! :)
Can anyone help please?, its a pretty ridiculous problem and to think I haven't sorted it already is just embarrassing, basically just installed reason 5 and near enough everythings running perfectly my laptop keyboard will start the project and stop it by pressing the space bar, BUT when I want to highlight an instrument and hear the notes by typing on the keyboard nothings working. The only way I can get any sounds off my keyboard is by opening this onscreen keyboard box. But even then that's just basically showing me how the notes will sound with each instrument and it won't write the notes to the project for me, or when I highlight an instrument it won't play any notes either. Any ideas how to do it instead of buying a midikeyboard as I'm only using reason on my laptop as its portable and convenient. It works fine on FL studio but I want to get into reason 5!

stratatonic

21 Jan 2015

Using a laptop only when travelling -- or in the streets...as the case may be...

Reason 5 on the laptop, 7 & 8 on desktop

Carnstein

21 Jan 2015

For like four years I was doing everything on a laptop. Looking back I don't know how I did it, I wasn't even using hotkeys to toggle between the rack/sequencer! Now I am on a desktop 90% of the time. I only use a laptop if I am travelling somewhere like to record a member of my band at their own space. Most of my song files end up being too CPU intensive for my laptop anyways so I'm kind of forced to return to the desktop.
Hello!

paulred67

23 Jan 2015

I have only laptop. Lenovo Z50, Windows 8.1, i7 2,6 GHz, 16 GB RAM. My Reason 8.1 runs smoothly but I don't have CPU heavy Rack Extensions.
Studio One 6, Melodyne 5 Studio, Nord Stage, Roland RD-88, VR-730, Jupiter-Xm, JD-08, Arturia V Collection X, Pigments 5, Korg Collection 3, East West Cloud, Sampletank 4, Miroslav Philharmonic 2, Syntronik, Sampletron, Hammond B-3X, Blue 3, Pianoteq.

Fretless Fingers

23 Jan 2015

My only computer at the moment is a late 2008 MBP duo core. By the end of my mix I'm reaching for full use of the CPU so I'm ready for a desktop. Closing on a house on the 30th so I'm trying to convince my wife to let me get a new computer wih some of the left over money
:reason: v10 :record: :recycle: :refill: :re: :PUF_figure: :PUF_take: :ignition:
reason-expert.com Author, video maker, producer

JackRussell

23 Jan 2015

'Built to Order' laptop running Windows 8.1 and Reason 8.1 with i7 Quad Core 2,5-3,5 Ghz, 16Gb RAM, 2 SSD's, 1 HDD and external bigger monitor at the desk. Works like a charm on and off-road. Bought it as a desktop replacement and indeed acts like one.  :)

illegitimi non carborundum 

Flandersh

23 Jan 2015

Use only a laptop from 2014.

JoshuaPhilgarlic

23 Jan 2015

I'm sure I'll never buy anything else than a laptop. I had a Mac tower (G3) 15 years ago until I tried to add an USB card (which totally messed up the computer), followed by an iBook ('cause it was the cheapest solution in the pre MacMini era - and it was the thing I bought Reason 2.5 for) and two MB pros - latest is Mid 2012 -  payed by my boss ( :D ). I'm totally happy with it. I can take it wherever I want, I can use it in my bed (yes!), and I don't need any further hardware. For more precise monitoring/ mastering I use a Logitech Headset, and although I own a couple of portable MIDI controllers (Korg nano series, CME X-Key) I use just the Reason onscreen keyboard most of the time. It's perfect for me :) !

tumar

23 Jan 2015

I use Macbook Pro Penryn (2008) with 6 gb ram (max amount without kernel panic) and 256 gb SSD drive. Ram and drive update didn't help much, about 10 complex combinators with Thor pads run simultanously can kill it. CPU is too slow, so I'll buy MB Pro 15" (retina) this year.

pushedbutton

23 Jan 2015

Given the choice between my 2006 core2duo desktop pc with 8Gb of RAM and my 2012 i7 Dell laptop I'd choose the desktop pc (once I was out of bed) any day.
I suppose all I'd need to do is get a wireless keyboard and mouse and plug my TV into my laptop for pretty much the same experience but on the other hand I can't be arsed. I just use my laptop for Sunday morning lie-ins and the occasional meeting. If I had to use it as my main computer I'd get by but I likes what I likes.
@pushedbutton on twitter, add me, send me a message, but don't try to sell me stuff cos I'm skint.
Using Reason since version 3 and still never finished a song.

keeverw

11 Feb 2015

I mostly use Reason as a live keyboard rig. I also do some recording of my own music. 

I'm running Reason 8.0 on a 13" Toshiba Satellite laptop, with an i3 and 4Gb of Ram. 
It does amazingly well, for what it is. But as I am expanding and adding bigger combinators to my rig, I am starting to see it's limits. 
It has frozen and given me the "you're computer is too slow to play this song" error a couple of times now. So I will decrease the polyphony of some of the modules in my current combinator and that helps get it down below the red line. 
But in a couple of weeks, I am going to purchase a used MBP with an i7 at least 2.6Ghz, and 16GB ram, and hopefully an SSD, and I'm thinking it's gonna fly on that machine. 

At home I connect two 20" monitors to it, and a wireless keyboard and mouse, so it feels like a desktop. 
When playing live, I just use the laptop's 13" screen. It's not too bad, as I try to have my live setup to where I don't need to look at the computer very often anyway.

Ayello

11 Feb 2015

2011 Macbook pro, no problemo. :)

Last Alternative

11 Feb 2015

I used to only use a laptop because that was all I had until I built my own computer and I'll never go back, besides for on the go stuff. Laptop screens are too small and I feel constrained with the whole setup. Desktops are way more convenient.
https://lastalternative.bandcamp.com
:reason: 12.7.4 | MacBook Pro (16”, 2021), OS Sonoma, M1 Max, 4TB SSD, 64GB RAM | quality instruments & gear

KEVMOVE02

11 Feb 2015

HP Windows 8.1 Laptop with Akai MPK Mini and a Winbook TW100 with Windows 8.1 go wherever i go. The Winbook is a great sketchpad that I can pull out whenever inspiration hits. When I'm stationary, I use the laptop. I have two desktops at work, but I rarely use them for music production. I really like the laptop/MPK Mini setup.

philipw7

11 Feb 2015

Running a Lenovo Ideapad 500 with an I7 processor and 8GB Ram. No problems with Reason or Live

plaamook

11 Feb 2015

I went from a 17" something or another to a 15" MBP to a 13" MBP. I always thought I'd miss the big screen and every time I didn't. Wish I could get a quad core 13" though. Took a hit with RE's but not too bad.

One thing I like quite a lot is the way a 13" is kind of in the palm of your hand. Even compared to a 15". Once you get your keys sorted and get Better Touch Tool (bloody brilliant)... I hate using a desk top now. Everything so far away, chucking the mouse all over. Etc.

I even sync to vid on the thing. No problem.

Perpetual Reason 12 Beta Tester :reason:

You can check out my music here.
https://m.soundcloud.com/ericholmofficial
Or here.
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC73uZZ ... 8jqUubzsQg

plaamook

11 Feb 2015

Question though...

Does a SSD improve performance such that one can run more RE's? I'm tempted to get one.
Perpetual Reason 12 Beta Tester :reason:

You can check out my music here.
https://m.soundcloud.com/ericholmofficial
Or here.
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC73uZZ ... 8jqUubzsQg

zero01101

11 Feb 2015

reason 7.1 on an asus g750js-ds71 laptop here; runs brilliantly :)   i'd like a dedicated audio rig again but for now this laptop can do it all just fine

zakalwe

11 Feb 2015

plaamook wrote:Question though...

Does a SSD improve performance such that one can run more RE's? I'm tempted to get one.
no you'll only be able to load stuff faster.  it's still an amazing improvement, i haven't looked back.

tumar

11 Feb 2015

plaamook wrote:Question though...

No, SSD and ram are secondary things. You need more CPU, that is most important thing for plugins ;)
I got SSD in my laptop - it changed only boot time and applications startup time, but overall use experience is the same as with 7200 drive.

EddieG

12 Feb 2015

I use both
Yes-PC WIN8 laptop
Been rock solid so far

I also have a PC WIN7 in the studio
stratcatfl in the house !

Prints

12 Feb 2015

Initially, I was planning on ditching Reason, but I realize I have too much invested in it. My main qualm with using Reason is the poor performance I get from it while using a duo core laptop. I'm considering getting a new laptop to enhance performance, and hopefully take away the constant struggle to compromise the REs and buffer settings I use to prevent everything from going to shit. Using Reason with a high buffer setting is not that enjoyable.

I'm thinking of getting the new 2015 Razer Blade, geared for gamers. I'm a mac OS user, but have been thinking of switching over to windows because I have an interest in learning to code. There are two versions of this new laptop; one with a lower quality display and 8 GB RAM, and one with a higher quality display and 16 GB RAM. I'm wondering if the 8 GB RAM will make any difference in Reason's performance (ability to use multiple REs and low buffer settings). Do you think this laptop will let me use Reason without having to think of how many REs I'm using (multiple reverbs, compressors, layering, etc.) at the lowest buffer setting? That would be awesome and perhaps make creating music on Reason enjoyable to me again.

http://www.razerzone.com/store/razer-blade-fullhd

• Information