Making an acoustic guitar sound electric

This forum is for discussing Reason. Questions, answers, ideas, and opinions... all apply.
mashers

19 Nov 2018

Hi all

I realise there will be a limit to what is possible here, but I'd like to know if anyone has any techniques for making an acoustic guitar sound like an electric, both clean and heavy. I know there are distortion and amp units in Reason but because I'm not a guitarist I'm not sure how to use them to get a more authentic sounding electric guitar sound from an acoustic, if that's even possible. I did follow some guides and tutorials but the effect was not very convincing.

Thanks in advance!

MrFigg
Competition Winner

19 Nov 2018

Instead of buying €120 worth of REs to do it just buy a cheap electric. I had like 7 guitars. Vintage ’74 SG, ’56 Hofner etc etc. Sold ’em all and bought a €120 Jazzmaster copy online from Germany. Best guitar i ever had. Maybe i was just lucky though :).
PS still got my Guild :):):)
🗲 2ॐ ᛉ

mashers

19 Nov 2018

MrFigg wrote:
19 Nov 2018
Instead of buying €120 worth of REs to do it just buy a cheap electric. I had like 7 guitars. Vintage ’74 SG, ’56 Hofner etc etc. Sold ’em all and bought a €120 Jazzmaster copy online from Germany. Best guitar i ever had. Maybe i was just lucky though :).
PS still got my Guild :):):)
I can't really afford to buy either a new VST or even a cheap electric guitar, so ideally I'd like to use effects to make the VST I have sound like an electric.

MrFigg
Competition Winner

19 Nov 2018

Has your acoustic got a line out?
🗲 2ॐ ᛉ

mashers

19 Nov 2018

MrFigg wrote:
19 Nov 2018
Yes but I’m using a VST now, not a real guitar.

MrFigg
Competition Winner

19 Nov 2018

mashers wrote:
19 Nov 2018
MrFigg wrote:
19 Nov 2018
Yes but I’m using a VST now, not a real guitar.
Haha :). So you want to make your acoustic guitar VST sound like an electric guitar?
🗲 2ॐ ᛉ

sdst
Competition Winner

19 Nov 2018

stratatonic

19 Nov 2018

mashers wrote:
19 Nov 2018
Hi all

I realise there will be a limit to what is possible here, but I'd like to know if anyone has any techniques for making an acoustic guitar sound like an electric, both clean and heavy. I know there are distortion and amp units in Reason but because I'm not a guitarist I'm not sure how to use them to get a more authentic sounding electric guitar sound from an acoustic, if that's even possible. I did follow some guides and tutorials but the effect was not very convincing.

Thanks in advance!
Strumming/playing an electric guitar unplugged you get a pretty thin sound as there is no resonance chamber like in an acoustic to augment/amplify the sound. So all I could suggest would be to filter out the low end of the Acoustic Guitar VST so you start out with a thinner sound before distorting and using amp sims. But you may get overtones in the mix still. Good Luck!
Last edited by stratatonic on 19 Nov 2018, edited 1 time in total.

stratatonic

19 Nov 2018

sdst wrote:
19 Nov 2018
OMFG! :puf_bigsmile: :puf_bigsmile:

Love this comment from YT:
The acoustic guitar sounds like a electric because of a effects pedal I patented and invented . It's the " Humbucker Anywhere " pedal. I can even make a ukulele sound like a 1959 les paul.

mashers

19 Nov 2018

stratatonic wrote:
19 Nov 2018
mashers wrote:
19 Nov 2018
Hi all

Thanks in advance!
Strumming/playing an electric guitar unplugged you get a pretty thin sound as there is no resonance chamber like in an acoustic to augment/amplify the sound. So all I could suggest would be to filter out the low end of the Acoustic Guitar VST so you start out with a thinner sound before distorting and using amp sims. But you may get overtones in the mix still. Good Luck!
That’s a very interesting idea. I’ll give it a go. Thanks!

esselfortium

19 Nov 2018

Which guitar VST are you using?
Sarah Mancuso
My music: Future Human

mashers

19 Nov 2018

esselfortium wrote:
19 Nov 2018
Which guitar VST are you using?
It's the Ample Sound M II:

https://www.amplesound.net/en/pro-pd.asp?id=4