Draw in CV?

This forum is for discussing Reason. Questions, answers, ideas, and opinions... all apply.
Leighbeater

27 Oct 2018

Is there a way to draw in your own cv's in Reason?

even if its something like how can draw in our own automation

aeox
Competition Winner

27 Oct 2018

In the automation lane hold alt and you can draw

MannequinRaces

27 Oct 2018

Leighbeater wrote:
27 Oct 2018

Synchronous, Kron, Frame CV generator, Shape... there's probably more but these come to mind. Depends how detailed you want to get.

MannequinRaces

27 Oct 2018

aeox wrote:
27 Oct 2018
Unless I've completely missed something I don't think you can draw curves that way.

Leighbeater

28 Oct 2018

MannequinRaces wrote:
27 Oct 2018
Leighbeater wrote:
27 Oct 2018

Synchronous, Kron, Frame CV generator, Shape... there's probably more but these come to mind. Depends how detailed you want to get.

Nice i already have Synchronous, I will check the other ones out as well..thanks

aeox
Competition Winner

28 Oct 2018

MannequinRaces wrote:
27 Oct 2018
aeox wrote:
27 Oct 2018
Unless I've completely missed something I don't think you can draw curves that way.
Seems like I misunderstood the question, I thought he asked if you can draw in the automation lane like this

MannequinRaces

28 Oct 2018

Yes, that is definitely an option aeox! I don't think I've ever drawn in automation in the sequencer (always have used REs and Synchronous).

Leighbeater

28 Oct 2018

yeah thats pretty cool

is there a way to get automation curves to control CV?

MannequinRaces

28 Oct 2018

Leighbeater wrote:
28 Oct 2018
MannequinRaces wrote:
27 Oct 2018

Nice i already have Synchronous, I will check the other ones out as well..thanks
Frame is my vote for best buy for the money. Hard to beat $9.

MannequinRaces

28 Oct 2018

Leighbeater wrote:
28 Oct 2018
yeah thats pretty cool

Not that I know of. For example I don't think you can draw in an automation curve and then say you want it to control something else (other than whatever parameter you are automating).

aeox
Competition Winner

28 Oct 2018

MannequinRaces wrote:
28 Oct 2018
Leighbeater wrote:
28 Oct 2018
yeah thats pretty cool

Not that I know of. For example I don't think you can draw in an automation curve and then say you want it to control something else (other than whatever parameter you are automating).
That would be a cool feature.. like a "Automation CV Out" that you can send to whatever?

Leighbeater

28 Oct 2018

yes agree that would be great

I can't wait for the day that you can draw in your own curves with a digital pen straight into Reason and control anything..Im pretty sure there will be a time in the future when we can do that

MannequinRaces

28 Oct 2018

aeox wrote:
28 Oct 2018
MannequinRaces wrote:
28 Oct 2018

That would be a cool feature.. like a "Automation CV Out" that you can send to whatever?
Yes! That would be neat. Something along the lines of Create New CV Track or maybe a CV device that the CV out could be routed to any CV controllable parameter anywhere in the program (this would include mix channels, inserts, instruments, effects, and would not have to be routed through a combinator, etc.); including lots of options for length, temp sync, etc.. A CV sequencer would be neat too. Say you draw in some CV curves and then have a sequencer / matrix to say that you want that curve to play only on certain beats within a measure or play only on odd numbered measures.

Loque

28 Oct 2018

Maybe I misunderstood something, but you can easily control CV from the sequencer or a midi controller. Starting from Thor to Lolth and CV8X4 and many many more...
Reason12, Win10

Jagwah

28 Oct 2018

Leighbeater wrote:
28 Oct 2018
I can't wait for the day that you can draw in your own curves with a digital pen straight into Reason and control anything..Im pretty sure there will be a time in the future when we can do that
I can actually do this with my Wacom Cintiq, I can also use my fingers to move things including knobs and faders etc but it's limited to one action at a time, just got to get around to making a video.

Jagwah

28 Oct 2018

MannequinRaces wrote:
28 Oct 2018
Leighbeater wrote:
28 Oct 2018
yeah thats pretty cool

Oh this is easy with Hamu's Mod Panels which are free now: https://shop.propellerheads.com/rack-ex ... rol-board/

Just automate one of the knobs, draw in your automation, then flip to the back of the device to find the CV outs that will send that same curve data you just drew. :)

aeox
Competition Winner

28 Oct 2018

Jagwah wrote:
28 Oct 2018
MannequinRaces wrote:
28 Oct 2018

Oh this is easy with Hamu's Mod Panels which are free now: https://shop.propellerheads.com/rack-ex ... rol-board/

Just automate one of the knobs, draw in your automation, then flip to the back of the device to find the CV outs that will send that same curve data you just drew. :)
Nice!!

Leighbeater

28 Oct 2018

Loque wrote:
28 Oct 2018
Maybe I misunderstood something, but you can easily control CV from the sequencer or a midi controller. Starting from Thor to Lolth and CV8X4 and many many more...
Cool will check that out

Leighbeater

28 Oct 2018

Jagwah wrote:
28 Oct 2018
Leighbeater wrote:
28 Oct 2018
I can actually do this with my Wacom Cintiq, I can also use my fingers to move things including knobs and faders etc but it's limited to one action at a time, just got to get around to making a video.
Yeah wouldn't mind seeing that I have a wacom thing here

First i was thinking maybe Reason could have a paint like thing where you could draw in your curves

Leighbeater

28 Oct 2018

Jagwah wrote:
28 Oct 2018
MannequinRaces wrote:
28 Oct 2018

Ok now we are getting somewhere :thumbs_up:

Will give this one a go as well

Leighbeater

28 Oct 2018

Another question
Im still on Reason 8

does the latest version have better drawing curve possibilities for the automation or is still the same as Reason 8?

Loque

28 Oct 2018

Leighbeater wrote:
28 Oct 2018
Another question
Im still on Reason 8

does the latest version have better drawing curve possibilities for the automation or is still the same as Reason 8?
Still the same
Reason12, Win10

Leighbeater

28 Oct 2018

Ok thanks

must be a hard thing to program, I know it took Ableton a fair while to make their automations curvable (if that is a word) maybe bendable :puf_smile:

antic604

29 Oct 2018

https://shop.propellerheads.com/rack-ex ... generator/

Just automate the knobs on this FREE device and use the outs on it.

antic604

29 Oct 2018

Leighbeater wrote:
28 Oct 2018
I wonder, is this really so necessary. I came to Reason after using Live & Bitwig, both having automation curves, but after initial discomfort I quickly adjusted to it. You don't really hear very much difference when using a smooth curve vs. one "constructed" from several points and it's pretty quick to add them, or even draw them using the above mentioned method. Sure, I'd like to get curves eventually (and the tech is already there - see the envelopes in Europa/Grain), but it's nowhere near the top on my priority list.

• Information