Some (more) vocal track issues

This forum is for discussing Reason. Questions, answers, ideas, and opinions... all apply.
Karel

25 May 2018

Dear friends,

I am new to this forum so it might well be that my issue has been dealt with before.

I am a Reason user since version 6 and meanwhile enjoy 9.5. I love this DAW exept for one problem I am encountering more and more. Probably it is one of my dummy mistakes and hopefully I'll find an answer here that can point me in the right direction.

While recording and saving in Reason reacts super fast untill I copy and past within my vocal tracks.

Normally I record several vocal tracks and take and join the best parts but then my Reason becomes painstakingly slow. Sometimes saving all of a sudden takes several minutes or even worse.

Working in my vocals this way is obviously wrong.

Some help is much appreciated.

Karel

calebbrennan

26 May 2018

The same thing happened to me if you double click on your vocal track it opens up the comp editor and you'll see that every different take you did is still there even though you don't see them on the main screen
The multiple takes in the comp editor slow down the machine
So on the main screen I think I'm only dealing with three vocal tracks but in truth there were 25 or something
I resulted by bouncing the track so that the one vocal take I have is preserved and then I erased the one with the multiple takes in the comp editor
I probably should learn to use the comp editor better but I don't like how it's laid out and it ends up confusing me so try experimenting with the different types of Bounce and that should solve your issue

Karel

27 May 2018

Thank you so much calebbrennan! I always left the comp editor aside for the same reasons. Your reply is very helpful. I ended up exporting my vocal and guitar tracks to a WAV file and then importing them again, but I know that does not earn a beauty prize. For the next project I will try to discover the ins and outs of the comp editor.
Have a nice Sunday!
Karel

calebbrennan

27 May 2018

My pleasure
I'm usually the guy getting advice and the Forum has helped me so much and resolving issues I was pleased that I could actually offer some advice to someone else
I too am going to take some time to learn the comp better I just learned how to quantize audio and work with the pitch shift function and for my brain the only way is watch the videos over and over again specific sections and then it sinks in so that's what I'm going to do with the comp editor as well

selig
RE Developer

27 May 2018

Here's an article I wrote many years back for the Props - just noticed some of the images are no longer appearing in the story, not sure what's up with that…

https://www.propellerheads.se/blog/voca ... perfection

Here's the video for the section on using Comp Mode on vocals in Reason:
Selig Audio, LLC

botnotbot

28 May 2018

Karel wrote:
27 May 2018
Thank you so much calebbrennan! I always left the comp editor aside for the same reasons. Your reply is very helpful. I ended up exporting my vocal and guitar tracks to a WAV file and then importing them again, but I know that does not earn a beauty prize. For the next project I will try to discover the ins and outs of the comp editor.
Have a nice Sunday!
Karel
I haven't done extensive tracking in Reason yet, but I believe you should be able to just comp the collection of takes you want (or select a single take if its perfect) and then Bounce In Place.

If it works that way, you could avoid exporting/re-importing.

Karel

28 May 2018

selig wrote:
27 May 2018
Here's an article I wrote many years back for the Props - just noticed some of the images are no longer appearing in the story, not sure what's up with that…

Here's the video for the section on using Comp Mode on vocals in Reason:
Thank you so much for pointing at the article and video.
Lots of homework to do.

• Information