May Madness is on!

This forum is for discussing Reason. Questions, answers, ideas, and opinions... all apply.
strangers
Competition Winner

20 May 2018

Loque wrote:
20 May 2018
I like it more as a special fx, where you can add fx to different parts of the volume envelope, like an echo on the peak, saturation on the mid, reverb on the lowest part. Can be pretty interesting from time to time. Also as some kind of envelope shaper, wher you compress or saturate only the peaks. The draw back with this device is, that it does not have PDC for the break outs (Reason problem, not this device itself), so you need to have the same fx chains on all channels. It is quite easy to use and you can get quick results. Only if you switch source material you need to readjust the thresholds. Similar fx in VST world are much more expensive and have less features.

Do not forget, you can use it on every material that has a volume signal, that means you can also process m/s seprated material with it (extra device needed), which results in control of the amplitude areas in mono/stereo/mid/side. Just think of you want to only "echo" the outer side signals witth highest peak or stuff like that.

If you like to fiddle around with fx, you can have lots of fun. If you are more straight forward and not that fx-player-fiddle-dude, you will not use it much.
Now I'm kicking myself for having used my trial last year. I didn't even think to take advantage of using for M/S processing. Do you have any audio examples of throwing an echo on the oustide signals? That's something that would be beneficial for me since I've slowly been working on some more weird, dark and creepy songs. Thanks for the detailed response.

Loque

20 May 2018

strangers wrote:
20 May 2018
Now I'm kicking myself for having used my trial last year. I didn't even think to take advantage of using for M/S processing. Do you have any audio examples of throwing an echo on the oustide signals? That's something that would be beneficial for me since I've slowly been working on some more weird, dark and creepy songs. Thanks for the detailed response.
Here it is.
1. MID fx only
2. STEREO fx
3. SIDE fx only
separeted by a short crash. Following fx (randomly added)
high: Delay
Mid: Saturation
Low: Reverb

Might be not the best example, but throughed it in quickly. Note, that there is some kind of overlap (did not adjusted it), so you still hear a little bit in mid or side everytime. Ofc you should have headphones on or good speakers and no crappy mono device.
Reason12, Win10

strangers
Competition Winner

20 May 2018

Loque wrote:
20 May 2018
Here it is.
1. MID fx only
2. STEREO fx
3. SIDE fx only
separeted by a short crash. Following fx (randomly added)
high: Delay
Mid: Saturation
Low: Reverb

Might be not the best example, but throughed it in quickly. Note, that there is some kind of overlap (did not adjusted it), so you still hear a little bit in mid or side everytime. Ofc you should have headphones on or good speakers and no crappy mono device.
Thanks for posting that. That was a great example and something I could use in a similar way. Today must be my lucky day. I went to listen to more demos on the product page and somehow it's letting me download another trial. :thumbs_up:

Edit: Scratch that last part :lol: I wasn't signed into my account.

EdGrip

21 May 2018

I bought Propulsion, of course. Immediately replaced the Redrum in my default template. I should buy Korde, but what with Dual Arpeggio and the possible future purchase of Kompulsion, I thought... Do I need it?
Still dead curious about PSQ and Nostromo, but I've been saving the trials for when I'm in a good position to focus on them.

Pralijah

22 May 2018

Any word on the "Deja Vu" delay?
Remember it was indeed nice to trial it but too long ago, but cannot grasp if it was essential.
Some have written that the pitch-changer is very high quality. Is that still the case,
is it better than anything else in R10 or RE with pitch-adjustments?
Make music shake again!

jimmyklane

22 May 2018

I’ve never purchased an RE...I’ve demoed 5-6 of them, but always felt that I could get the same or better results with my current hybrid setup. The problem for me is that all of the RE’s that look interesting to me are $75-150...and that’s more than an impulse buy for me. Can anyone say from experience that some of the $9-19 REs are really better than options we have in Reason?

I should point out that I’ve got a ton of hardware synths and samplers and use them for every track. But then again I also use Reason devices and especially CV to freak out MIDI instruments with audio rates and multiple merged CV paths, etc. for my synths that take CV directly (my interfaces are DC coupled) it is really fantastic to use Thor to convert CV to audio and have synced modulation on synths where you can only guess at the lfo rate!

So: are those low-cost REs cheap sounding or just inexpensive. If there are developers you can suggest that are pretty much always nailing it, I’d love to support the RE designers.

With analog gear you absolutely get what you pay for, and the boutique, or hand manufactured stuff almost always has an edge over the mass-produced compressor-on-a-chip designs (for example).
DAW: Reason 12

SAMPLERS: Akai MPC 2000, E-mu SP1200, E-Mu e5000Ultra, Ensoniq EPS 16+, Akai S950, Maschine

SYNTHS: Mostly classic Polysynths and more modern Monosynths. All are mostly food for my samplers!

www.soundcloud.com/jimmyklane

TritoneAddiction
Competition Winner

22 May 2018

jimmyklane wrote:
22 May 2018
I’ve never purchased an RE...I’ve demoed 5-6 of them, but always felt that I could get the same or better results with my current hybrid setup. The problem for me is that all of the RE’s that look interesting to me are $75-150...and that’s more than an impulse buy for me. Can anyone say from experience that some of the $9-19 REs are really better than options we have in Reason?

I should point out that I’ve got a ton of hardware synths and samplers and use them for every track. But then again I also use Reason devices and especially CV to freak out MIDI instruments with audio rates and multiple merged CV paths, etc. for my synths that take CV directly (my interfaces are DC coupled) it is really fantastic to use Thor to convert CV to audio and have synced modulation on synths where you can only guess at the lfo rate!

So: are those low-cost REs cheap sounding or just inexpensive. If there are developers you can suggest that are pretty much always nailing it, I’d love to support the RE designers.

With analog gear you absolutely get what you pay for, and the boutique, or hand manufactured stuff almost always has an edge over the mass-produced compressor-on-a-chip designs (for example).
Just buy the Synapse RE Collection. That's the best advice I can give you. The price (149€) is ridiculous for all the stuff you get. I would pay that price for Legend, Deep reverb and GQ-7 eq alone if I didn't own them already. And there's 9 other REs included besides those.
GQ-7 is much better than the Mclass EQ imo. The SSL EQ is alright I guess but it's very limited. GQ-7 has been my go-to EQ for a long time now.
Legend is a wonderful synth. Sounds awesome and is simple at the same time. Love it. One of my favorites. It's normally priced at 99€ which is totally fair imo.
Deep reverb is pretty much loved by everyone in the Reason community and for good reason. It's awesome for big lush synth reverbs.
Antidote synth is an all rounder. It's hard to make it sound bad. It's like they took away a lot of unnecessary options and just kept what they knew would sound good.

https://shop.propellerheads.se/bundle/s ... ollection/

Let me know if you want to hear songs I've made with the Legend synth. There aren't any demo songs for it in the Shop.

Also I would recommend checking out Carve EQ Ducker, since nothing in Reasons stock stuff does what that does. 25€.

FM4 is fun too :D 25€ on sale right now. I've songs made with that synth also. Again let me know if you want to hear any of it and I can PM you.

EdGrip

22 May 2018

Propulsion and Korde are obvious buys because they're CV note, gate and curve generators with fast interfaces.
I imagine PSQ would be an excellent weird heart to a hardware setup too, so have a look at Lectric Panda's stuff!

jimmyklane

22 May 2018

Pralijah wrote:
22 May 2018
Any word on the "Deja Vu" delay?
Remember it was indeed nice to trial it but too long ago, but cannot grasp if it was essential.
Some have written that the pitch-changer is very high quality. Is that still the case,
is it better than anything else in R10 or RE with pitch-adjustments?
Using Reason’s “The Echo” with Neptune in the feedback path makes for a very interesting and lo-fi Eventide Crystals type patch, but it is nothing like the real thing... Pitch shifting is something that is sorely lacking in Reason, and you’ve got to kludge stuff together....but then again, using your ingenuity to kludge stuff together has always been at the heart of Reason.

SAMPLERS: Akai MPC 2000, E-mu SP1200, E-Mu e5000Ultra, Ensoniq EPS 16+, Akai S950, Maschine

SYNTHS: Mostly classic Polysynths and more modern Monosynths. All are mostly food for my samplers!

strangers
Competition Winner

22 May 2018

jimmyklane wrote:
22 May 2018
Can anyone say from experience that some of the $9-19 REs are really better than options we have in Reason?
I'm very selective with RE's and haven't bought any without trialing. My two big questions to myself are always "does it sound good?" and/or "does it speed up my current workflow?" Call me lazy but one of my favorite purchases was Sonicbits Pump for $9, which is currently on sale again for $9. Sidechaining is relatively easy as it is but I'll take saving time by dropping Pump on several tracks, make simple adjustments to get it right and focus on more important things any chance I can get. It might not be the coolest or most flashy RE but time saved is time saved. Great buy in my mind.

hurricane
Competition Winner

22 May 2018

I bought Korde to get my Tangerine Dream on, but instead I found that it helps me write those cheesy 80s machine-gun bass parts that I struggle playing on the keyboard sometimes. Then I direct record with CV Player Tap and delete Korde to leave no evidence of my transgression. This is a true story.
Soundcloud | Youtube
Logic Pro | Bitwig

jimmyklane

22 May 2018

hurricane wrote:
22 May 2018
I bought Korde to get my Tangerine Dream on, but instead I found that it helps me write those cheesy 80s machine-gun bass parts that I struggle playing on the keyboard sometimes. Then I direct record with CV Player Tap and delete Korde to leave no evidence of my transgression. This is a true story.
That direct record function IS pretty neat. I’m just now getting to grips with the CV tap. Having a “MIDI cable” inside of Reason still confuses me a bit, because I’m still used to thinking of voltages in Reason and MIDI in my hardware!

guitfnky

23 May 2018

jimmyklane wrote:
22 May 2018

there are a ton of great, useful REs in that affordable price range. it depends on what you’re looking for, of course, but it isn’t hard to find excellent devices for a small amount of money. especially now. 😬
I write good music for good people

https://slowrobot.bandcamp.com/

Resonator

23 May 2018

This time I managed to catch Korg Mono/Poly on sale. It's a real beast of a synth with 4 oscillators, tons of routing options, and low CPU usage. Even at full price, it's still worth it.

Loque

23 May 2018

Resonator wrote:
23 May 2018
This time I managed to catch Korg Mono/Poly on sale. It's a real beast of a synth with 4 oscillators, tons of routing options, and low CPU usage. Even at full price, it's still worth it.
Low on CPU? Lol... Sometimes I think the ppl do not max out a synth, but keep on raging on synths that do it. That is not meant to be personal. Poly can bring my CPU to its knees on highest settings...
Reason12, Win10

strangers
Competition Winner

23 May 2018

What, if anything, did everyone pickup during this year's May Madness sale?

Bes
Competition Winner

23 May 2018

i picked up nostromo
- Certified Reason expert

rcbuse
RE Developer

23 May 2018

Bes wrote:
23 May 2018
i picked up nostromo
Awwwwww yea you did
Screen Shot 2018-05-23 at 10.54.35 PM.png
Screen Shot 2018-05-23 at 10.54.35 PM.png (692.26 KiB) Viewed 2635 times

TritoneAddiction
Competition Winner

23 May 2018

strangers wrote:
23 May 2018
Noise Engineering Synth Bundle. No regrets there. Fun stuff. Making patches with them doesn't feel the same as most "normal" synths do. Totally different workflow.

manisnotabird

24 May 2018

strangers wrote:
23 May 2018
Nothing. Hope the next sale sees the Rig updates on sale.

MrFigg
Competition Winner

24 May 2018

manisnotabird wrote:
24 May 2018
strangers wrote:
23 May 2018
Nothing. Hope the next sale sees the Rig updates on sale.
Nah. I askes them and they said that it didn’t look like it. So for €50 than the upgrade folks got the whole bundle. Oh well. Still good value :).
🗲 2ॐ ᛉ

Krell

24 May 2018

strangers wrote:
23 May 2018
I'm just doing VSTs now so I can use cross platform, so for a change I have some change. :lol:
Reason 12 // Bitwig 4 // Live 11 // Logic Pro X // Fabfilter // Soundtoys // Arturia // Vintage Hardware

aeox
Competition Winner

24 May 2018

strangers wrote:
23 May 2018
MixFood Urban/Nature

The Animus Shimmerverb

Spektrum

LPM

Steerpike

Basimilus Iteritas

Speak & Tweak

EdGrip

24 May 2018

OF COURSE I bought Korde too. As if I was ever going to not buy Korde too. :D

djadalaide

24 May 2018

jimmyklane wrote:
22 May 2018

Using Reason’s “The Echo” with Neptune in the feedback path makes for a very interesting and lo-fi Eventide Crystals type patch, but it is nothing like the real thing... Pitch shifting is something that is sorely lacking in Reason, and you’ve got to kludge stuff together....but then again, using your ingenuity to kludge stuff together has always been at the heart of Reason.
Polar is a much better fit for doing this, maybe you should consider it as its in the sale :D

• Information