Autoreturn Playhead/Cursor for Windows Users

This forum is for discussing Reason. Questions, answers, ideas, and opinions... all apply.
Sylnox

05 Apr 2018

Hi,

New Reason user here. Reason has some great synths and effects, and the CV stuff in the rack is really cool, but having to make extra keypresses/clicks every time I stopped playback to return the playhead to its starting position was driving me nuts. So, I made an AutoHotKey script that returns the playhead automatically. I figured I'm probably not the only one who likes this behavior, so I thought I'd post the script here for anyone who wants to try it.

Instructions:
1. Download AutoHotKey (Windows only) from https://www.autohotkey.com/download/ and install it
2. Download the attached text file, then open it in Notepad to make sure it's not going to mine Bitcoin on your computer
Reason Cursor Auto-return.txt
(357 Bytes) Downloaded 45 times
3. Change the file extension to ".ahk" to make it an AutoHotKey script file
4. Double click the script file to run it

That's it! As long as the script is running every other press of the spacebar will trigger space rapidly followed by shift+enter to return the cursor to where it started playing from. If you want the script to start when Windows does, you can add it to your startup folder.

Zerosity

06 Apr 2018

I love AHK, but doesn't the numpad 0 key do this already?

Sylnox

06 Apr 2018

Yeah but you have to press it twice and I'd rather use the same button to toggle stop/start. Or do you mean use spacebar but push numpad 0 to return the cursor? In that case it's an extra keystroke that's not particularly close to the spacebar to get the behavior I want basically every time I stop playback. Hence the script to do it automatically :) I realize this is a personal preference thing and you might want the other behavior, but like I said in my first post I posted the script in case anyone else prefers the same behavior as me.

• Information