Suddenly Reason is crashing (9.5 and 10) …

This forum is for discussing Reason. Questions, answers, ideas, and opinions... all apply.
Soundcells

10 Dec 2017

Hi to all,

Maybe someone has a solution:

Since a few weeks Reason 10 is crashing from one to another moment without identifiable cause.
First I was thinking that is has to do with Reason 10 only, but after starting Reason 9.5 again, it was clear that it has not to do with R10 only.

The computer is a MacBook 15" 2016 with Touchbar running with macOS Sierra. My old iMac from 2011 (!) with El Capitan is running fine as it was doing ALWAYS … Any ideas?

I have already tried to run Reason in low resolution mode …

Best regards,
Harald | Soundcells

Oquasec

10 Dec 2017

Seems like the mac guys will have to rollback to an older OS or use bootcamp till apple sorts out the brand new OS
Producer/Programmer.
Reason, FLS and Cubase NFR user.

joeyluck

10 Dec 2017

I am having no issues of crashes with Reason 10 (on it's own) on macOS High Sierra 10.13.1

I have had crashes related to particular VSTs. But when I removed those VSTs from the mix, no more crashes.
The difference for you between OS versions, could be the lack of support the VST has for the newer OS.

Are there any particular VSTs you are using when it happens?

moneykube

10 Dec 2017

Oquasec wrote:
10 Dec 2017
Seems like the mac guys will have to rollback to an older OS or use bootcamp till apple sorts out the brand new OS
high Sierra is the new one... props said Sierra should work... wish I had El Capitan to roll back to... for me it would be mountian lion if I did.... oh woe...
yes vst crash it for sure
https://soundcloud.com/moneykube-qube/s ... d-playlist
Proud Member Of The Awesome League Of Perpetuals

Soundcells

10 Dec 2017

@joeyluck:

No special VST … it is really disappointing - Reason never crashed before, NEVER!

I have to look which VST I have installed within the last weeks …

QVprod

10 Dec 2017

Soundcells wrote:
10 Dec 2017

Most probable culprit.

joeyluck

10 Dec 2017

Soundcells wrote:
10 Dec 2017
@joeyluck:

No special VST … it is really disappointing - Reason never crashed before, NEVER!

Well, if a VST is the issue, it should only be VSTs you are using in a Reason session, I would think...

Something many of us Reason-only users have to get used to, is that unlike REs, VSTs can easily be affected by OS changes.
So when Reason starts crashing with an OS update, while using VSTs, it could very well be a VST that is crashing Reason because the VST is buggy and not supported along with the new OS update. REs are future-proof and sandboxed in Reason.

Of course, I've updated macOS without reading up on every VST developer's notes on High Sierra compatibility. Living dangerously :D
I just know that Reason by itself supports it and works for me on it's own. As I begin to use my VSTs more often, I may have to actually keep an eye on individual developer notes, which is indeed a huge hassle. But most everything I use is by a popular developer, so hopefully when there is an issue, they will all be on top of it soon after.

Tryggvasson

11 Dec 2017

I have the same issue when I try to delete a free VST that actually sounds great (an amp sim that sounds a million times better than the Softube amp). I run Reason 10, don't know about 9.5.

• Information