Behringer x32 Producer and Reason

This forum is for discussing Reason. Questions, answers, ideas, and opinions... all apply.
ocelot1

28 Jun 2015

Hi,

I've got a great deal on the x32 producer but I'm not sure if it is good investment because I mainly use reason as my daw and I have a prism sound Titan so I won't use the interface of the mixer and Ive never worked with an external mixer. I have 2 external synths that mixer would be good for but other than that Is it worth buying a mixer with reason ? What can I use it for in combination with reason ? Is it possible to control the channels of the mixer and also use the channel strip fx on the x32 without using the interface ?

Thanks !

joeyluck

28 Jun 2015

Yes, you should be able to use it as a controller separate from using it as an interface.

But if it's a control surface you are after, have a look at the Behringer X-Touch.

If you've already purchased, I suppose the Producer will come in handy for live gigs and times when you need additional audio I/O.

Still though, for the price of the Producer, it's the same (or less than) the price of Avid controllers...

ocelot1

28 Jun 2015

Thanks for the answer! I would get it for 500€ it's a very good price but still if I can't use the functions with reason it's still a lot of money. I won't be recording no bands and won't use it for live gigs. Only in the studio so I'm not sure if it is a wise investment when I won't be able to use the channel strip and control reason with it. If someone could explain what parts of reason I can control and if it is possible to route the mixer channels of reason thru the channel strip of the x32 producer without using the interface I would be able to decide whether to buy it or not.

joeyluck

28 Jun 2015

That definitely is a steal! The X-Touch would cost you just as much.
But again, if you aren't using it for audio and don't have plans to use it for audio, I would consider the X-Touch. The X-Touch has some features that the Producer does not such as scribble strips and also transport buttons, timecode display, a jog wheel, and other various DAW specific buttons. Although, you can use the assignable keys of the Producer for transport buttons... The X-Touch is also a little more compact if your only purpose is for control. Although, you don't get the big screen, but I'm not sure what displayed on the Producer's screen will be relevant to DAW control... Might have to wait to hear from someone who owns one with Reason.

Here is the X-Touch:

http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/XTouch

For me, for the same price, it would be hard to turn down the Producer. Even if I wasn't using the audio features, just because I'm a sucker for getting awesome deals! But I would actually use the Producer for audio and live mixing. But if it's only purpose is for control, the X-Touch might be what you actually want?

Aquila

28 Jun 2015

I'd pick the producer over the xtouch too. The xtouch is just too small for serious work and I hate having to flip through fader banks when trying to mix.

The producer's also handy if you want to hook up multiple audio channels from external gear.

• Information