Reason 10 & 2017 27-inch iMac - Performance?

This forum is for discussing Reason. Questions, answers, ideas, and opinions... all apply.
cjb123

13 Nov 2017

Hey guys!

I'm wondering about Reason 10's (and to a lesser extent 9 which I'm still on currently) on the 2017 27-inch iMac. I've heard some concerns - including LA's rant over his suped-up iMac under-performing - though I know he's worked it out a lot since then. I'm also wondering about how the screen resolution/graphics will work for me. I've started wearing reading glasses for computer work and I'm wondering if the resolution will make the gui too small to work with comfortably.

What I'm considering:
4.2GHz quad-core 7th-generation Intel Core i7 processor, Turbo Boost up to 4.5GHz
16GB 2400MHz DDR4
2TB Fusion Drive
Radeon Pro 580 with 8GB video memory

My older iMac has gone down - the graphics card died. I don't think it's worth it to buy a new one so I want to move on.

Thanks ;)

QVprod

13 Nov 2017

From what I understand from the multiple threads here is there's an issue with the Reason and the retina displays on newer iMacs and laptops. The solution that solves it for many is running Reason in low resolution mode.

cjb123

13 Nov 2017

Yes I've seen that being discussed. It's a shame to have to do that in order to get around the bug. Is it reasonable to assume that Props will have a fix in upcoming versions I wonder…

Fusion

14 Nov 2017

cjb123 wrote:
13 Nov 2017
Hey guys!

I'm wondering about Reason 10's (and to a lesser extent 9 which I'm still on currently) on the 2017 27-inch iMac. I've heard some concerns - including LA's rant over his suped-up iMac under-performing - though I know he's worked it out a lot since then. I'm also wondering about how the screen resolution/graphics will work for me. I've started wearing reading glasses for computer work and I'm wondering if the resolution will make the gui too small to work with comfortably.

What I'm considering:
4.2GHz quad-core 7th-generation Intel Core i7 processor, Turbo Boost up to 4.5GHz
16GB 2400MHz DDR4
2TB Fusion Drive
Radeon Pro 580 with 8GB video memory

My older iMac has gone down - the graphics card died. I don't think it's worth it to buy a new one so I want to move on.

Thanks ;)
I have to keep my projects very small on a 2015 15” i7 16gb ssd system. Some projects only have 4 track before it becomes unusable . Switching to low resolution mode solves performance issue but makes everything blurry, so I prefer to just keep my projects small. Still no word from propellerhead when they will fix this, I reported this over a year ago . They just told me that they are working on it but cannot say how long it will take.

If you still want to use a Mac at the moment , it seems a non retina model would be your best option. Otherwise may be better to look at a more modern daw for mixing .

MannequinRaces

14 Nov 2017

I have a late 2015 Retina 5k 27 inch iMac with a 3.2 GHz i5 processor and only 8GB or RAM. I do not use low resolution graphics mode (the box is unchecked) and am currently working on a track that has eight instances of The Legend, a Kong, and am mostly at 1 bar DSP (sometimes hitting 2 bar DSP briefly when there's lots going on). My graphics card is a AMD Radeon R9 M380 2048 MB. For some other things to try for bad performance more info here: https://www.propellerheads.se/support/u ... rformance/. Still on 10.12.4.

Fusion

14 Nov 2017

MannequinRaces wrote:
14 Nov 2017
I have a late 2015 Retina 5k 27 inch iMac with a 3.2 GHz i5 processor and only 8GB or RAM. I do not use low resolution graphics mode (the box is unchecked) and am currently working on a track that has eight instances of The Legend, a Kong, and am mostly at 1 bar DSP (sometimes hitting 2 bar DSP briefly when there's lots going on). My graphics card is a AMD Radeon R9 M380 2048 MB. For some other things to try for bad performance more info here: https://www.propellerheads.se/support/u ... rformance/. Still on 10.12.4.
Maybe the performance issues are related to the built in intel graphics cards, Although i remember someone posting with the new Mac Pro having the same issues

brand

14 Nov 2017

To use Reason, I use an iMac, 21.5", 4K Retina, 3.3 GHz i7 quad core, Intel Iris Pro Graphics 6200, 16GB, and a 512 SSD. I tried to max out the processor, ram, and drive as much as I could at the time (this is about 5 months ago). I have not upgraded to High Sierra, not yet anyhow (too scared). Although I have not pushed it with really big projects yet, I have not have any issues (knock wood). Started with 9, to 9.5, to 9.5.2, to 10. I'll have to check, but I don't think I'm using low resolution mode.

As I have seen others say here, I am very reluctant to upgrade the OS because I was afraid it would cause problems even though PH said that the software was compatible. I hope I won't encounter issues with system performance going forward... :|

FlowerSoldier

14 Nov 2017

I run a late 2015 5k iMac too. Mine runs on El Capitan with no issues. It appears to be a gpu issue. I run an AMD Radeon in mine, but I think the NVIDIA iMacs have issues.
Also, I've tried to update to High Sierra. I was unsuccessful...In retrospect, I think I might have dodged a bullet.

• Information