Question for anyone who has Reason 7 and Reason 10 installed on the same system

This forum is for discussing Reason. Questions, answers, ideas, and opinions... all apply.
househoppin09

06 Nov 2017

I'm on Reason 7 and will soon be upgrading to Reason 10. I'm planning on leaving R7 installed for various purposes, but will of course want to switch over to doing most of my work in R10. I know that, in general, there shouldn't be any problems or complications when having multiple Reason versions installed side-by-side. However, it's a bit of a leap from R7 to R10 and I know that various aspects of how and where the software installs have changed considerably in the meantime, so I figured I should check with you folks to make sure there aren't any oddities I should be prepared for. (Things like Factory Sound Bank location/replacement/overwriting issues, loss of original R7 preferences or configuration data, etc.)

Also, one other thing I'd love to know: can someone who has both R7 and R10 installed do a quick check on the overall performance differential between the two? To the best of my knowledge, performance declined a bit from R7 to R9.5, then got a boost with 9.5.1's introduction of hyperthreading. I'd appreciate it if someone could do a quick side-by-side test by loading up a demanding R7 song file in both R7 and R10 and seeing what the net change on DSP strain looks like--thanks!

raymondh

06 Nov 2017

I posted this a couple of years ago. It should help.
The links to the images got broken, but see if you can follow this. If it is confusing, let me know and I'll see what I can do.

viewtopic.php?p=24110#p24110

Pi5cEan

06 Nov 2017

I'm in the same boat. I'm unwilling to chance anything weird happening to my tracks that I can't fix, so I think I'm going to wait until I get the high-end laptop I'm saving for before I upgrade to R10. Sounds like I'm going to need it. I do of course keep separate backups of all my tracks, but either way it's a hassle I don't need. In the meantime I'm using 7.1 with Reaper to get use to the VSTs I bought in preparation for the upgrade. I'll probably wait for the first .1 R10 update to pull the trigger. I will hopefully have tons of extra CPU/RAM firepower by then so I'll be able to run R10 without any BS lol.

househoppin09

07 Nov 2017

Thanks for that info, raymondh! I knew there was something I was missing.

Would love it if someone who has R7 and R10 installed could answer the performance question... :)

PhillipOrdonez

08 Nov 2017

I got both. Things work smoothly, the preferences and favorites remained the same, and actually the performance was better on most cases, and music projects that I started on v7, that would crack fairly quickly, actually run better on v 10, but audio editing of large audio files seems to work better on v7, hence why I am keeping it side by side.

Windows prompts everytime you switch versions, asking if you trust that program to make changes to your computer, that's about it!

househoppin09

10 Nov 2017

That's great to hear, thanks! :)

• Information