Mac OS X Mavericks vs Yosemite, buffer size?

This forum is for discussing Reason. Questions, answers, ideas, and opinions... all apply.
Koncide

25 Jun 2015

Hey guys.
I've only just recently decided to upgrade from Mavericks to Yosemite on my MBP. I've noticed in Reason that the built-in soundcard on my mac is now capped at 4096 samples, whereas when I was on Mavericks I could get it upwards of 16,000. I'm finding this somwhat problematic as I work on beats a lot when I'm away from my external sound card, and 4096 samples just doesn't cut it when I'm working on more complex tracks. Has anyone else noticed this with the upgrade? And does anyone have a work around I could use? I'd rather not have to lug my external card around with me if possible  :s0959: .
I didn't bother making a copy of Mavericks before I upgraded as I'd not read any issues at all with Reason when others have upgraded to Yosemite, so I can't just revert back to Mavericks.

Thanks!
Ambient garage vibes.

Theo.M

25 Jun 2015

Koncide wrote: Hey guys.
I've only just recently decided to upgrade from Mavericks to Yosemite on my MBP. I've noticed in Reason that the built-in soundcard on my mac is now capped at 4096 samples, whereas when I was on Mavericks I could get it upwards of 16,000. I'm finding this somwhat problematic as I work on beats a lot when I'm away from my external sound card, and 4096 samples just doesn't cut it when I'm working on more complex tracks. Has anyone else noticed this with the upgrade? And does anyone have a work around I could use? I'd rather not have to lug my external card around with me if possible  :s0959: .
I didn't bother making a copy of Mavericks before I upgraded as I'd not read any issues at all with Reason when others have upgraded to Yosemite, so I can't just revert back to Mavericks.

Thanks!
Mavericks for me is 4096 maximum on in built core audio driver.. so not sure how you got 16k.. but are you serious, you really do mix at latency that high? Every knob change would be a nightmare IMO. every volume change, every EQ change.. I honestly can't see reason performing worse at 4096 than it does at 16384 - perhaps it's yosemite itself that is not performing as well?

Koncide

25 Jun 2015

Really? That's odd. Perhaps there's something else involved. And I never mixed at 16k haha, latency is just ridiculous. I did however find 8k useful sometimes.

There is a huge difference in performance, there's a project I'm working on atm that runs fine on 8k but is quite jumpy on 4, hence why I'm missing the extra samples. On smaller projects Yosemite seems to be working ok as far as I can tell.
Ambient garage vibes.

syrokitty

26 Jun 2015

For the doubters. (running OSX 10.9.5)
Attachments
Screen_Shot_2015-06-26_at_12.14.03_AM.png
Screen_Shot_2015-06-26_at_12.14.03_AM.png (284.97 KiB) Viewed 750 times

Koncide

26 Jun 2015

That's what I was getting before.
Is there anyone running Yosemite who can get more than 4096 using core audio?
Ambient garage vibes.

Theo.M

26 Jun 2015

syrokitty wrote: For the doubters. (running OSX 10.9.5)
I believe you i was just being cheeky, but honestly using the built in output my max is 4096.. so call that one weird hey! I will post a pic too, brb..

Ok here you go, my max buffer, 10.9.5 R8 - EDIT: i was wrong about 4096, it's a very strange figure of 4608!
Attachments
Screen_Shot_12.jpg
Screen_Shot_12.jpg (121.44 KiB) Viewed 730 times

jfrichards

26 Jun 2015

Wow, I hadn't realized how lucky exclusive soft synth players are.  In the guitar world, output latency in ms = distance in feet to your guitar amp.  And immediacy while playing is crucial.

• Information