Confused using Redrum in Rewire mode

This forum is for discussing Reason. Questions, answers, ideas, and opinions... all apply.
spencer335

25 Jun 2015

Hi all - first post on the new forum.

I'm using Studio One for a film scoring project and want to use a Redrum pattern and a little lost about keeping the programs in sync.

What I can do correctly:
Route the audio between Reason and Studio One correctly
Automate the pattern changes on Redrum

What I cannot seem to do:
Automate when Redrum starts and stops running.

Where I'm lost:
The song, prior to the Redrum part, has a bar of 3.  This leads to two things where I'm getting lost:

The Reason sequencer, if I wanted to use it, doesn't reflect the time signature change.

As for Studio One, I can automate switching of patterns, but the patterns always appear to switch in the middle of the 16 beat sequence, I assume because Reason and S1 are out of sync on the "1" because of that bar of 3.

Am I missing some shortcut besides just rendering the audio and dropping it where I want in S1?

Thanks!

Benedict
Competition Winner

25 Jun 2015

Hi

Not a ReWire expert anymore but I think the two quickest solutions are to render and move to S1 or to trigger individual Notes from S1, bypassing Patterns altogether.

:)
Benedict Roff-Marsh
Completely burned and gone

frog974new

25 Jun 2015

if you're on Windows , what's your settings for your audiocard ( paramater )
try this Studio one : Master , less keep him app. priority on drivers ( asioall.v2 )

Gorilla Texas

25 Jun 2015

spencer335 wrote:Hi all - first post on the new forum.

I'm using Studio One for a film scoring project and want to use a Redrum pattern and a little lost about keeping the programs in sync.

What I can do correctly:
Route the audio between Reason and Studio One correctly
Automate the pattern changes on Redrum

What I cannot seem to do:
Automate when Redrum starts and stops running.

Where I'm lost:
The song, prior to the Redrum part, has a bar of 3.  This leads to two things where I'm getting lost:

The Reason sequencer, if I wanted to use it, doesn't reflect the time signature change.

As for Studio One, I can automate switching of patterns, but the patterns always appear to switch in the middle of the 16 beat sequence, I assume because Reason and S1 are out of sync on the "1" because of that bar of 3.

Am I missing some shortcut besides just rendering the audio and dropping it where I want in S1?

Thanks!
You have to do the tedious task of automating the pattern buttons in Reason! I use FL now for pattern sequencing but when used redrum I made a template/autoload with an automation lane with each button in sequence so I wouldn't ever have to do it again.

Also make sure you leave the time signature in the default setting of 1/16 any deviation from this will throw the tempo off for the patterns. 

spencer335

25 Jun 2015

Yeesh.  It sounds like there is no way to do this as easily as I could have in standalone mode.

If only Reason supported video ...

snapperdub
Competition Winner

25 Jun 2015

If you create a Pattern/Loop lane for Redrum in the Reason sequencer you can place your drum pattern anywhere and it can start playing anywhere. You can shorten pattern/loop clips from the left or the right and leave spaces which will play silence (ie stop running). Is that of any use.

You could also change the time signature info in reason by right clicking on the 4/4 on the transport panel and click edit automation, this will give you a time signature lane on the sequencer window. Use your pen to create a clip where you can change the time to 3/4.

Or export your S1 project as a midi file and import that into reason, get rid of all the unwanted instruments and you should be left with exactly the same time and tempo information as you have in S1. Something like that anyway.

spencer335

25 Jun 2015

Thanks for the feedback, all.  I was able to get the results I needed by mapping out the measures I wanted in S1, opening Reason in standalone, and setting things up the way I wanted there (including a pattern switch to an empty pattern with 12 16ths for the bar in 3/4) before reopening as a rewire slave.  It is disappointing that the measure numbers don't line up when in Rewire ...

• Information